College Football ShopTalk/What Have We Learned

twinkie13

In transit, arriving late.
Holy Shit Florida State.......reallly? It’s like that Willie? Does he make the season?

Chip Kelly......Holy Fuckin WOW.......what is the guy worth now? Fucking mess at UCLA.....

They may be lucky because USC doesn’t impress me much.....

Oregon....did the 1st QB drafted get outplayed by Bo Nix? I like what Cristo is doing/can do, but that hurt the P12. Aubbie has studs on D line, but that touted Duck O Line got worked for the most part.

Tennessee. I mean. What can you say? That’s beyond pathetic.

I’m on phone, but fire it in......BIG GAME IN AUSTIN looms....

Willie T makes it through the season. 6 year $30M w/ 80% guaranteed. We can’t afford to buy him out. Oh, and he FUCKING sucks. Glad I can say that here, because being a straight white male doesn’t afford me the opportunity to voice my opinion on social media. That would make me racist. Could care less what the color of his skin is. He is awful and WAYYYYY over his head.

Yes, big game in Austin. Interested to see what the Horns will do against a really physical team. No, Georgia doesn't count. They had no interest in playing that game. Good for the Horns to kick their asses but Georgia phoned that game in before it got off the bus.

Mike Gundy has had good QBs at Oklahoma State, no one great, but several good. That may be changing. Spencer Sanders could be very good, as in elite. Yes, it was Oregon State. On the flip side it was his first college start and anyone that watched Sanders late Friday night saw the full package - great arm, nice touch, excellent mobility, speed, pocket presence and poise. Competition to face, a lot to learn but watch this kid, folks.

Willie T makes it through the season. 6 year $30M w/ 80% guaranteed. We can’t afford to buy him out. Oh, and he FUCKING sucks. Glad I can say that here, because being a straight white male doesn’t afford me the opportunity to voice my opinion on social media. That would make me racist. Could care less what the color of his skin is. He is awful and WAYYYYY over his head.

The one thing I give credit to Willie T for is he goes out and hires the right assistants. Getting the michigan state pedigree was a good hire. And he went out and got Briles. Most coaches who hire the right assistants are successful because most who don't are afraid. (just think if a guy like dantonio had the guts to go out and hire a briles how much better they would be) And lets not forget willie t had a good track record before coming to Florida State.

put me in the camp that florida state / boise both are better than perception. I think Florida State could still be pretty good.

Dumb, but decent

Willie not a good game day coach, assistants, and recruiting and practice coaching aside.

The media still have their love affair with Charlie Strong. He has done absolutely zero without Teddy Bridgewater, USF have gone backwards under him, yet they continue to rank his teams

I don't know of anyone, media included, that has a good opinion of Strong as a head coach. His teams have been a model now, for a few years, of bad football - unprepared, undisciplined and unprepared. Really nice guy but just not fit to oversee a D-1 football team anymore.

Last edited:
The one thing I give credit to Willie T for is he goes out and hires the right assistants. Getting the michigan state pedigree was a good hire. And he went out and got Briles. Most coaches who hire the right assistants are successful. And he's had a good track record before coming to Florida State.

put me in the camp that florida state / boise both are better than perception. I think Florida State could still be pretty good.
No disrespect, but I disagree with everything you wrote. Harlan Barnett and Briles contradict one another. Zone scheme, bend but don’t break defense and hurry up offense that thrives off deep balls is a bad mixture. Feast or famine on offense causes 3&outs that eat :30 seconds, while zone scheme keeps the D on the field for long durations of time. That spells early season losses and late season injuries due to fatigue. Barnett with a power run game, maybe. Briles offense gives you Big 12 defenses. Neither of which are we equipped to run. As far as Slick Willie’s track record, what about his career losing record makes you think he deserves top 10 salary ($5M/year)? He has not won anything. Recruited some key players in non-power 5 conferences and still didn’t win a thing. I have Oregon fan friends who warned me that he is a snake oil salesman. He talks a lot, but there is absolutely no substance to what he says. Sexton got himself and his client a big payday by shopping Jimbo around for years. What is the worst part is, our previous AD said he was only going to interview minority candidates. Okay...well, he interviewed one person. Hired him, gave him the bank and quit. Fuck him, fuck Willie, and double fuck Sexston for making this happen. 36 continuous tear bowl streak broke in his first year. His hire will set us back a decade of relevancy. So, no thank you for bringing in assistants that work together like oil and water.

I guess he did give us the turnover backpack. So, he does have that going for him. Wished he’d pack that MF’er and get out of Tallahassee.

Please don’t take this as a slight on Boise, but there is probably a handful of players on that team, that would be offered a scholarship at FSU. Meaning, man to man, FSU is far above more talented than the team that beat them Saturday. That is due to coaching. 0 halftime adjustments. Same as last year. No emotions on the sideline. Yell, cuss, throw a visor. “Do something” (Willie’s motto).

Last edited:
Illinois is improved fwiw
Watched most of that game as I was on their team total. A lot of weapons for sure, and outside of a few “WTF?” throws, appear to have a QB who can spread it around.

Rutgers also looks to have a few playmakers.

Oregon....did the 1st QB drafted get outplayed by Bo Nix? I like what Cristo is doing/can do, but that hurt the P12. Aubbie has studs on D line, but that touted Duck O Line got worked for the most part.

Wasnt he missing his top 5 receiving targets in the 2nd half?

Mike Gundy remains the most underrated coach in college football. The guy does it year after year at Oklahoma State and he does it with mostly under the radar guys. He gets them in the program and does a superb job of developing them. He never gets the best players in Oklahoma if OU wants them.

He has been doing it so long most people have forgotten that for most of the last century Oklahoma State was considered a place where it was impossible to win long term.

Freshman QB had a star is born type night, RB ran for more than 200 yards, star WR looked like a first round draft choice.

Freshmen QBs starred in a lot of games this week. Nix at Auburn, the kid at N Carolina, and the guy at Boise State all led their team to victory in the fourth quarter. The Oklahams State was was a redshirt freshman, but he made it look easy in his first college start.

They make freshman mistakes now and then, but mainly due to the increased speed and athletic ability they are up against in college ball. Except for experience a huge number of high school players are now capable of stepping right in and running a college football team

Last edited:
Mike Gundy remains the most underrated coach in college football. The guy does it year after year at Oklahoma State and he does it with mostly under the radar guys. He gets them in the program and does a superb job of developing them. He never gets the best players in Oklahoma if OU wants them.

He has been doing it so long most people have forgotten that for most of the last century Oklahoma State was considered a place where it was impossible to win long term.

Freshman QB had a star is born type night, RB ran for more than 200 yards, star WR looked like a first round draft choice.

Freshmen QBs starred in a lot of games this week. Nix at Auburn and the guy at Boise State both led their team to victory in the fourth quarter. The Oklahams State was was a redshirt freshman, but he made it look easy in his first college start.

Chuba Hubbard is a star that no one talks about. Kid can cut on a dime and accelerate so well. Played his HS football in Canada, which is an outlier to say the least.

Oregon ran for 12att-67y (including a 37y run) in 1st qrt. Last 3 qrts they were 21att-23y. Dye missed entire 2nd H. Verdell got injured, missed 3rd qrt. Ore had 176 1st qrt yards, but just 156 the last 3 qrts. Oregon WRs who actually played aren't especially good or trustworthy when game was on the line - some of their best: Brenden Schooler, Juwan Johnson and their top FR WR Mycah Pittman were all out.

nw qb hunter johnson was really, really bad at stanford. if trent's kid, tj green is out for the year, they better have a young qb step up. lost rb bowser to a knee injury don't know how long. he and green were their only bright spots on offense

ull gonna score plenty of points. 430 yards vs miss state but 4 careless to's prevented any chance of an upset

is there a bigger qb upgrade than sitkowski to mclane carter? rutgers has a chance in some games now

tulane qb mcmillan was comfortable and very accurate the new system. ran well. complete control
McClane forced a few throws down the field but if he stays within himself they may be a surprise. They have some skill guys who can play.

Tulane was impressive, disappointed to see their line at Auburn wasn’t more than 3 TDs, but may throw a partial unit on the ML anyway.

I was actually pretty impressed by OR playing without some of their weapons, and think they'll be fine. Their D played very well for a lot of the game. Also, Herbert didn't lose that game. He's legit.

Nevada is on the hottest ATS streak in college football. They jelled against Boise State late in the season last year and since then they are 7-1 ATS. They did it again against Purdue despite the fact they probably have more injured QBs than any team in the country.

They've got a lot of good athletes and a major part of the assistants came from Bob Stoops' staff

On Taggart I just keep thinking back to him being on the brink at South Florida in 2015 then things began to click around mid season, and from there they were really good until he left.

But maybe that had more to do with Quentin Flowers than him.

Nevada is on the hottest ATS streak in college football. They jelled against Boise State late in the season last year and since then they are 7-1 ATS.
They've been playing well, and I appreciate the info that led me to bet Nevada last week, but there are some hotter teams out there. Clemson, for instance, is on a 10-1 ATS run.

Last edited:
You're right. I started betting Nevada against Boise last year, then bet UNLV in the one game Nevada failed to cover in the string so my mind keeps thinking they are 8-0.

Thanks for the reminder. If you have time to post, who are the other hottest ATS teams

Rice's kicker missed 2 relative chip shot FGs. I'd imagine they need another. If this doesn't change its important to take into consideration

Nevada is on the hottest ATS streak in college football. They jelled against Boise State late in the season last year and since then they are 7-1 ATS. They did it again against Purdue despite the fact they probably have more injured QBs than any team in the country.

They've got a lot of good athletes and a major part of the assistants came from Bob Stoops' staff
You're right. I started betting Nevada against Boise last year, then bet UNLV in the one game Nevada failed to cover in the string so my mind keeps thinking they are 8-0.

Thanks for the reminder. If you have time to post, who are the other hottest ATS teams

I was looking through some logs to see what other runs teams are on and noticed a different record for Nevada.

Other than UNLV, Nevada also failed to cover vs San Jose State 11/17/19 as 14 or 14.5 pt fav (won 21-12). That would make them 6-2 ATS unless somebody had a line less than 9 vs San Jose.

2018/2019 straight covers:

Rutgers is 6-0 ATS
Wyoming is 6-0 ATS

Best runs:
Clemson 10-1 ATS
App State is 6-1 ATS
Rice is 6-1 ATS
Syracuse is 6-1 ATS

Back