College football question -- rules

B.A.R.

CTG Partner
Staff member
We go over this every year and I cannot find the concrete answer or a rule book...

0:00 a team scores a TD.

They now lead by 1 or 2 points.

Is the extra point required in CFB?

I ask, because a block and return is 2 points, correct?

Obviously the winning team should take a knee but who knows, right?

TIA.

From an old article but cannot see where these have changed:

According to the NCAA’s rules, if a touchdown is scored as time expires, the period can be extended for a try except if it happens in the fourth period and the points would not affect the outcome of the game.

If you’re really into rules and the NCAA’s definition these are the rules:

RULE 3, SECTION 2 ARTICLE 3.C

Extension of Periods

ARTICLE 3. a. A period shall be extended for an untimed down if one or more of the following occurs during a down in which time expires (A.R. 3-2-3-I-VIII):

c. If a touchdown is scored during a down in which time expires, the period is extended for the try (Exception: Rule 8-3-2-a).

RULE 8 SECTION 3 ARTICLE 2.A.

Opportunity to Score

ARTICLE 2. A try is an opportunity for either team to score one or two points while the game clock is stopped after a touchdown. It is a special interval in the game which, for purposes of penalty enforcement only, includes both a down and the “ready’’ period that precedes it.

a. The ball shall be put in play by the team that scored a six-point touchdown. If a touchdown is scored during a down in which time in the fourth period expires, the try shall not be attempted unless the point(s) would affect the outcome of the game.

That makes sense and what I THOUGHT the rule was.

I know the NFL rules have changed over the years.

The reason this comes up is the identity of this site -- Gambling.

Old Dominion game this past weekend. I was watching bad beats and this came up.

The bad beats stated total was 49.5.

OSU trailed 24-19 and scored TD with 0:00 to go up 1. No kick.

Game goes under if you have 49.5.

I'm pro knee

Hope you didn't lose a wager

Kickers likely are the most important players wrt wagers at the end of the day, pay them accordingly

That makes sense and what I THOUGHT the rule was.

I know the NFL rules have changed over the years.

The reason this comes up is the identity of this site -- Gambling.

Old Dominion game this past weekend. I was watching bad beats and this came up.

The bad beats stated total was 49.5.

OSU trailed 24-19 and scored TD with 0:00 to go up 1. No kick.

Game goes under if you have 49.5.

I feel like the rule on this sliding scale, if I need the xp they don’t kick, when it screws me they clear the field and do kick it! Lol. I’m beyond tryikg to figure out!!

I'm pro knee

Hope you didn't lose a wager

Kickers likely are the most important players wrt wagers at the end of the day, pay them accordingly

I’d be fine if they come out and take knee but seems confusing to me as I feel like ive seen games where they clear the field and run that play and games where they just say screw it!

Like this thread....

Team needs to kick a FG to win...3rd down, clock winding down. If they kick it on 3rd but it's a bad snap they can dive on the ball and kick it on 4th, correct? Pretty sure the case.

Like this thread....

Team needs to kick a FG to win...3rd down, clock winding down. If they kick it on 3rd but it's a bad snap they can dive on the ball and kick it on 4th, correct? Pretty sure the case.
Yeah that's exactly why they would kick on 3rd down. The shenanigans. I've seen it come in to play a couple times.

Rules....I really hate the NFL PI call w/o it subject to review. 50 yard DPI calls are a bit punitive for me. Every times a bomb is thrown you just wait for the laundry to go out.

Why not max out the DPI penalty at 30 yards? Still very significant but not a killer when the call was bad / couldn't be overturned.

Make DPI the lesser of the spot or 30 yards. Probably missing something (for one thing, if the foul clearly kept the WR from catching the ball.) But I do hate this penalty.

Back