Coke Zero Sugar 400 Preview Article

VirginiaCavs

CTG Super Moderator
Staff member
Coke Zero Sugar 400 at Daytona

NASCAR Cup Series: Coke Zero Sugar 400
Saturday, August 27, 2022 at Daytona International Speedway in Daytona Beach, Florida

Last Week's Race

Go Bowling at the Glen took place at Watkins Glen last week.

This race featured strong road course guys performing at a high level.

Kyle Larson, the previously slumping Chase Elliott, and AJ Allmendinger were all in contention.

Upon a restart with five laps left in the race, Larson passed Elliott for the lead and maintained his lead against both Allmendinger and Elliott.

Standings Update

Larson's win was the second of his season and positions him in second ahead of Joey Logano.

Elliott, it is official, is regular season champ as he continues to sit atop the NASCAR Cup Series standings with an insurmountable 922 pounds.

This week's race will be more exciting because of what's happening toward the bottom of the standings.

16 drivers will clinch a spot in the NASCAR Cup Series playoffs, which begins after this week's race.

Currently, Ryan Blaney holds the 16th and final spot while Martin Truex Jr. sits on the other side of the boundary, 25 points behind Blaney.

Race Info

This week, Coke Zero Sugar 400 takes place at one of NASCAR's most famous tracks, the Daytona International Speedway in Daytona Beach, Florida.

For this upcoming race, drivers must complete a total of 160 laps.

As has almost always been the case, there will be three stages for this event.

Stage 1 requires drivers to complete 35 laps.

Stage 2 consists in the following 60 laps.

Stage 3 terminates upon completion of Lap 160.

Entry List

By the middle of the week, an entry list gets posted for the upcoming race.

37 teams/drivers are listed for 40 possible spots.

So, barring any unforeseen circumstances, we already know which drivers will participate in this race.

We may expect all the usual suspects.

Starting Lineup

The starting lineup for the race gets determined via qualifying.

Remember that this race takes place on Saturday and not Sunday.

Qualifying will take place the day before the race.

On Friday, qualifying is from 5-6:30 p.m. ET.

Its format is single-vehicle, one-lap, and two rounds.

There is no practice session.

Track Info

The Daytona International Speedway is known as a superspeedway.

High speeds at this track are facilitated by the length of its straightaways and its high level of banking.

Long straightaways facilitate higher speeds by giving drivers more time to drive without turning.

As for banking, drivers use it to corral more momentum for their vehicles particularly on turns.

The turns at this track are banked at an excellent 31 degrees.

Also, the tri-oval is banked at 18 degrees and the back straightaway at two degrees.

Each lap here is 2.5 miles.

So, in completing 160 laps, drivers will have accumulated 400 miles.

Drivers I Dislike

Drivers may be inclined to invest in Martin Truex Jr., because he sits just below the cutoff for playoff qualification.

But he is unreliable both at this track and in general this season because he is very hit-or-miss.

Kyle Busch is also someone who wildly alternates between finishing top-10 and finishing outside the top 30 in Daytona.

He should be avoided because he tends to perform better when there is a practice session, but there is no practice session for this race.

My Guy

Driver history indicates that this weekend provides an excellent opportunity to invest in a somewhat lower-profile driver.

Austin Cindric intrigues me the most because he has finished top-two in his last two races at this track.

Crucially, he has proven that he can win at Daytona.

Best Bet: Cindric Top 3 Finish at +500 with Bovada

McDowell Top 10 around +185 and
Ty Dillon Top 10 around +425 are both interesting and I will probably bet.

Just about anyone can win this. Which is why you see no one under 10-1. McDowell at 40-1 will be on my card. Not my favorite track to play H2Hs. Just too volatile.
Yeah, McDowell, Austin Dillon, Almirola, Buescher, and Haley are all long shots at over +2500 that tend to excel on superspeedways.

I put 0.4 unit on Ty Dillon to finish in the Top 10 at +425 (Bovada)

That has happened in 2 of his last 5 races at Daytona and 4 out of his last 10 races on superspeedways.

McDowell has similar stats, 3 out of his last 7 at Daytona and 6 out of his last 14 races on superspeedways.

Blaney, Elliott, and Hamlin are the only drivers with Top 10s in 50% or more of their Daytona starts since 2019 and their superspeedway starts since 2019.

I bet one unit on:

Bubba +100 over Blaney (BAS)

With Kurt Busch out of the playoffs, Blaney is in as long as there is no new winner that is in the Top 30 in points. If there is a new winner he will need to finish with more points than Truex. He currently has a 25 point lead over Truex. I would assume Blaney will play it semi safe and try to get points in the first 2 stages to pad his lead and be conservative in the final stage. He could do the opposite and ride around and wait until the final stage to finish high enough to beat Truex, but his lead could be less than 25 points if he does that, which seems more risky.

Wow, so i‘m surprised and sad to report that the place I work for decided to eliminate motor sports coverage. This is awful…not sure i‘ll ever get to write up another nascar race. Man, it was fun doing these every week for you guys. Just awful.

PSA: Chemicals in Diet Coke are less harmful than the shit they put in Coke Zero.

I added this for tonight:

1 unit:
Herbst -110 over Mayer (Bovada)

I don't know if they will race due to the rain.

I have these for tonight:

1 unit:
Herbst -110 over Mayer (Bovada)
Herbst +100 over Hemric (BAS)

And Herbst wrecks again to end the race, for the 4th time, and still finishes in front of Mayer and Hemric.

+2 units

Kinda throwing darts, but I played these:

All for 1 unit each:

Keselowski +105 over Reddick (BAS)
Harvick +105 over Reddick (BAS)
Keselowski -110 over Suarez (BAS)
Harvick -110 over Suarez (BAS)
Harvick -115 over Bell (Bovada)
Austin Dillon -105 over Stenhouse (BAS)
LaJoie -115 over Custer (BAS)

0.5 unit each:

Bubba to win Group B +250 over Larson, Chastain, Byron (Bovada)
Cindric to win Group C +270 over Kyle Busch, Truex, Reddick (Bovada)
Harvick to win Group I +280 over Suarez, Bowman, Bell (Bovada)

Kinda throwing darts, so no big plays, below are all of my bets for tonight, if it stops raining in Daytona:

All for 1 unit each:

Bubba +100 over Blaney (BAS)
McDowell -115 over Haley (BAS)
Keselowski +105 over Reddick (BAS)
Harvick +105 over Reddick (BAS)
Keselowski -110 over Suarez (BAS)
Harvick -110 over Suarez (BAS)
Harvick -115 over Bell (Bovada)
Austin Dillon -105 over Stenhouse (BAS)
LaJoie -115 over Custer (BAS)

0.5 unit each:

Bubba to win Group B +250 over Larson, Chastain, Byron (Bovada)
Cindric to win Group C +270 over Kyle Busch, Truex, Reddick (Bovada)
Harvick to win Group I +280 over Suarez, Bowman, Bell (Bovada)

0.4 unit:
Ty Dillon to finish in the Top 10 at +425 (Bovada)

$20 on Bubba to win at +1600 (BAS) & +1800 (Bovada)

They are racing on CNBC.

Blaney and Bell were involved in a wreck, but so were Keselowski and Harvick. I don't know how much damage Harvick has.

I did not want the race to resume after the red flag for rain. I was up over 4 units when the red flag came out which turned into being down 1.75 units mainly due to Harvick not being able to continue and Reddick beating Cindric for 2nd by a foot or so.

Daytona:
Xfinity +2.0 units
Cup -1.75 units
Total +0.25 units

Nascar Total (2022):
Xfinity +12.87 units
Cup +57.74 units
Both +70.61 units

Back