Coach of the Year Award

Toronto_Mike

Scent of a Woman
Congrats to George Karl, a deserving winner, however when I look at the runners up I'm scratching my head....

Spoelstra
Woodson
Popp

No love for Thibs, Hollins, Jackson?! Give me a break, Spoelstra just says "Ok Lebron do what you want", Woodson says "Ok Melo do what you want" Popp says "Guys do what I want"

I just don't get why T, H and J didn't get a mention. Or is it because their records reflect?

Congrats to George Karl, a deserving winner, however when I look at the runners up I'm scratching my head....

Spoelstra
Woodson
Popp

No love for Thibs, Hollins, Jackson?! Give me a break, Spoelstra just says "Ok Lebron do what you want", Woodson says "Ok Melo do what you want" Popp says "Guys do what I want"

I just don't get why T, H and J didn't get a mention. Or is it because their records reflect?

karl got it because of sympathy

I'm astonished thibs wasn't considered. Karl deserves it for the great regular season but his post season failures make him look pretty bad although this is a reg season award. And Denver has that home court that really boosts everything for the team.

exactly, it's not like The Bulls had any superstars on their team either, they have been a thorn in the Heats ass, no D Rose, they certainly play pretty damn tough and actually can win on the road.
Bleh

Chicago was 8 games over .500. They lose four more games they are .500....what they are doing now is great and been inspiring...but let's not pretend they had some amazing regular season..

Chicago was 8 games over .500. They lose four more games they are .500....what they are doing now is great and been inspiring...but let's not pretend they had some amazing regular season..

ok so if you're going with that angle, why don't we also look at Frank Vogel and the Pacers or maybe Scott Brooks?

Spoelstra getting looks ahead of Hollins and Jackson is a joke.

People can say "oh without a good coach the Heat won't be where they are" sure, but it does help when you got Lebron and Chris Bosh playing the best they've ever had and also having the other pieces of the puzzle. Plus the East is pretty weak...

Jackson should have been made COY I think.

Thibs sholdn't have been considered for that award.
His team went from best record in the East to 5th best record and from 75% winning percentage to 55%!
I know they had many injuries, but they were a joke at home, losing to worst teams in the league...

Out of the other 3 mentioned, I still would give it to Popp! Team is getting older, but they find pieces/players who are no-name market type guys who play hard! Why? Bcause they have the best coach IMO!

I think the Spurs have won 50+ for the past 14 seasons, take out the lock out year which they were 37-13 and add the year before, make that 15 straight seasons with 50+ wins. Since the first year Popp took over the spurs, they have won 50+ each year!!!

Give the man Coach of the decade IMO!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_San_Antonio_Spurs_seasons

Pop and Phil Jackson obviously two coaches of the last 15 years...
They share 9 titles during that time + 1 Finals and haven't had a year without post season...
But for this season?
What have he done so special?

I think that Jackson should be the coach of the season, because he took a lottery team, played entire season without healthy Bogut and managed to not only get to the playoffs, but do it from the 6th seed.

GSW finished before Minny and Lakers (both were really injured, I know) and Dallas - three teams that are better than them and ahead of Utah and Houston - two teams they are equal to...
Amazing!

Records don't mean everything. To me it's all about what a coach does with the obstacles he is put up against.

Records don't mean everything. To me it's all about what a coach does with the obstacles he is put up against.

And Thibs did absolutely nothing, but to welcome losses and say thank you...
Yeah, he stopped the Heat streak. So what?

24 - 17 at home and home losses to Hornets, Rockets, BucksX2, Charlotte, Suns, Cleveland, Portland and Toronto (among other losses).
D'Antoni actually has better record than him (and more injuries than him btw)...

One reason, aside from wins against Miami to give him COY?

Rivers dealt with Rondo's injury (that was sudden - unlike Rose being injured) better in my opinion...

Id dont know if jackson should have won it, but he should have been higher than 7th..not alot of people had this team making the playoffs

And Thibs did absolutely nothing, but to welcome losses and say thank you...

That is not fair. The guy loses his superstar player and the team thinks he will be back sometime during the season. Week by week Thibs is the one that has to keep everyone focused. Keep everyone motivated. The bulls could have very well just quit on the season a long time ago but Thibs has built a foundation which thrives success. The players respect the hell out of him and no matter who is able to play, the rest of the team gives maximum effort. Without him, they could have very well been like 7th or 8th seed

I agree that Karl probably got the award because he has never won one before....

George Karl won his first NBA Coach of the Year award after his 25th season as a head coach. According to the Elias Sports Bureau, that is the most seasons coached before winning the award for the first time in NBA history.
'12-13George Karl25Nuggets
'93-94Lenny Wilkens21Hawks
'00-01Larry Brown1876ers
'87-88Doug Moe12Nuggets
'94-95Del Harris10Lakers

<tbody>
</tbody>

Only two deserved it in my opinion..

1. Mark Jackson
2. Popovich

Woodson and Spolestra deserved 0 votes IMHO.

Karl won because he had cancer.

Pop could be COY every year, dude's formula is 2nd to none. Vogel very similar and will be a force in years to come. Mark Jackson has the best young talent in the league and would be screwed if he didn't have Steph...

A lot of nba coaching is managing egos and superstars, cant be easy , a lot of coaches cant do it( ie, mike brown)

It what makes phil jackson one of the greatest ever. Spoelstra seems to do really well with that, and he won a billion games in a row this year.i have no problem with him getting votes. Now, having pat riley there helps, not really sure how involved he is in the day to day stuff.

Thibs plays his players too long, he treats them like horses. That is why his line-up is what it is and Rose is where he is...

Thibs plays his players too long, he treats them like horses. That is why his line-up is what it is and Rose is where he is...

Ummm not too sure how you can even say this...statistic will shoot down this assumption.
Bulls have 9 players averaging 20+ mins

Comparing it to other playoff teams that's nothing, might want to check out the Knicks

Back