Coach Karls Book

takeit

THE Wife
Has anyone read this? I haven't (and won't), but there's a bunch of talk of it on my FB feed. Seems like he is a pretty shitty man - never knew that.

He painted himself as a shitty man in his own book?

Cavs coach in the World B. Free era, for you old schoolers. And a Tar Heel before that.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/...cizes-carmelo-anthony-together-denver-nuggets

The things he said about his players:

"Carmelo was a true conundrum for me in the six years I had him," Karl wrote in "Furious George," according to an advance copy obtained by the New York Post. "He was the best offensive player I ever coached. He was also a user of people, addicted to the spotlight and very unhappy when he had to share it.
"He really lit my fuse with his low demand of himself on defense. He had no commitment to the hard, dirty work of stopping the other guy."

The coach was also critical of J.R. Smith and Kenyon Martin, comparing those two, along with Anthony, to "the spoiled brats you see in junior golf and junior tennis."
Karl wrote that Smith, who is now with the Cavaliers, had "a huge sense of entitlement, a distracting posse, his eye always on the next contract and some really unbelievable shot selection."

I guess he made comment about not having fathers too. K-Mart went off on him on Twitter

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/...cizes-carmelo-anthony-together-denver-nuggets

The things he said about his players:

"Carmelo was a true conundrum for me in the six years I had him," Karl wrote in "Furious George," according to an advance copy obtained by the New York Post. "He was the best offensive player I ever coached. He was also a user of people, addicted to the spotlight and very unhappy when he had to share it.
"He really lit my fuse with his low demand of himself on defense. He had no commitment to the hard, dirty work of stopping the other guy."

The coach was also critical of J.R. Smith and Kenyon Martin, comparing those two, along with Anthony, to "the spoiled brats you see in junior golf and junior tennis."
Karl wrote that Smith, who is now with the Cavaliers, had "a huge sense of entitlement, a distracting posse, his eye always on the next contract and some really unbelievable shot selection."

I guess he made comment about not having fathers too. K-Mart went off on him on Twitter

Not sure how this makes him a pretty shitty man. Seems like he's just expressing his opinion, giving the truth. Athletes these days are pampered, spoiled, etc...what's wrong with what he said? Pretty sure that almost all of his ex-players respect the hell out of him too...there are always going to be a few who don't, but they probably wouldn't for any coach, not just him specifically.

He's always been known as a guy his players either loved or hated, probably depended on the said player's effort. Take JR Smith, for instance, Lebron has him sort of in line, but guy still takes games off or mopes if he's not hitting threes or getting looks. I always liked Karl.

It's kind of startling and angry to bash active players in a book, but he probably doesn't give a fuck.

He's always been known as a guy his players either loved or hated, probably depended on the said player's effort. Take JR Smith, for instance, Lebron has him sort of in line, but guy still takes games off or mopes if he's not hitting threes or getting looks. I always liked Karl.

It's kind of startling and angry to bash active players in a book, but he probably doesn't give a fuck.

Right. JR Smith is a good example though...now that he's a bit older and more mature (that does sound funny, but he's at least a little more mature), you'd imagine he would agree with what Karl said about him. When players are reflecting about when they were younger, they more than likely realize how foolish/childish/selfish they were back then, just like every other human on the planet. Hell, JR Smith may not be at that point yet, but with the title now I'd err on the side of him agreeing with Karl's assessment and not letting it bother him in the least bit.

Kenyon Martin sounded like he wanted to kill Karl this morning, think it was on Cowherd, for disrespecting his mother and how he was raised. Honestly think he would physically attack him if they met up right now. Said that Smith and Anthony wouldn't say anything because they're still active players, but he wasn't afraid to let loose because he's retired.

Said he almost went Sprewell on Karl in the locker room once but thought better of it...NBA drama at its best.

Kenyon Martin sounded like he wanted to kill Karl this morning, think it was on Cowherd, for disrespecting his mother and how he was raised. Honestly think he would physically attack him if they met up right now. Said that Smith and Anthony wouldn't say anything because they're still active players, but he wasn't afraid to let loose because he's retired.

Said he almost went Sprewell on Karl in the locker room once but thought better of it...NBA drama at its best.

That's probably not too surprising though is it? Kenyon Martin IS one of those guys who won't ever get it, would be like that with most coaches, etc. He's just THAT guy, and it seems pretty easy to see that.

Poor George Karl had to deal with Demarcus Cousins too in his last job.

Waiting on nbafan to come in here backing the players Karl talked about.....

I personally think it's shitty to talk about people's families and the fact that they had no fathers to teach them to become men. It's OK if you think that's cool, I don't.

Reading what he wrote made me lose respect for him and think less of him as a man. I don't respect those guys more, but I respect Karl less.

I personally think it's shitty to talk about people's families and the fact that they had no fathers to teach them to become men. It's OK if you think that's cool, I don't.

Reading what he wrote made me lose respect for him and think less of him as a man. I don't respect those guys more, but I respect Karl less.

I guess. It's the truth though, isn't it? When did the truth go out of style?

nbafan is a chameleon. I've seen him gush and squirt over coaches, players, Tuesdays ...

I guess. It's the truth though, isn't it? When did the truth go out of style?

Maybe it is and maybe it isn't. And maybe sometimes you keep your thoughts to yourself.

Your boss may be an asshole, but it probably wouldn't turn out to well for someone to tell their boss they are an asshole.

Maybe it is and maybe it isn't. And maybe sometimes you keep your thoughts to yourself.

Your boss may be an asshole, but it probably wouldn't turn out to well for someone to tell their boss they are an asshole.

This is years and years later we're talking about though. He was writing a memoir (I guess it'd be considered this right?). It's not like he was trashing these guys during post-game interviews and putting all of their dirty laundry out there while they were playing for him.

They also aren't his boss in any way at all, so while I'd agree with your analogy it doesn't fit here. Even agreeing with it...it wouldn't NOT turn out well for someone if they told them 10 years later, and no longer in a work relationship, that they are an asshole. That person may agree that many years later, and admit as much to the person telling them.

LOL take, it's always ok to disrespect single mothers everywhere. You didn't get that memo?

This is kind of the former boss, of sorts, telling the employees they were assholes. But I half-agree. While he's probably telling the truth, what's the point now, why stir the pot. Would have been so much better in a fiery exit press conference.

I wonder if the book is any good outside of those bombshells? He's a pretty interesting guy.

Dude can say what he wants about how they were when he was coaching them.

Players respond to different coaches in different ways, sometimes good - sometimes bad.

Today's 'player' is brought into the league with a sense of entitlement so it is what it is.

Bringing up the father shit is crossing the line though and never needed to be said, true on untrue it was disrespectful.

Just another bitter old dude who gives zero fucks what he says and in this case will profit financially from it.

And who cares about K-Mart, btw dude as tacky on and off the court as the pair of lips he had tatted on his neck.

Nothing to see here.

Dude can say what he wants about how they were when he was coaching them.

Players respond to different coaches in different ways, sometimes good - sometimes bad.

Today's 'player' is brought into the league with a sense of entitlement so it is what it is.

Bringing up the father shit is crossing the line though and never needed to be said, true on untrue it was disrespectful.

Just another bitter old dude who gives zero fucks what he says and in this case will profit financially from it.

And who cares about K-Mart, btw dude as tacky on and off the court as the pair of lips he had tatted on his neck.

Nothing to see here.

:shake2:

Agree tip, I've always found him interesting given his career path. Fascinating guy, obviously not much of a personality or player relationship guy (which isn't necessary for success). But fascinating.

As with anything, you can always say what you want, and I doubt he'll even have much consequence to deal with at this point other than sold books and loss of respect. I'm sure he couldn't give a fuck.

Dude faced and survived (for now) cancer, he doesn't give a fuck about a few entitled millionaires that we can guarantee.

Make a few extra bucks for the family and let these dudes ruffled feathers drum up all the free publicity and increase the sales.

Karl is the same guy that traded away a 27 year old Ray Allen because "that guy is nothing but trouble", and in return got back soon to be a FA, 34 year old Gary Payton plus Desmond Mason.

The Bucks haven't won a playoff series since the trade.

I will say Karl's book This game's the Best was a good read (think it's about 20 years old now)

C0o5niNUUAAkmEb.jpg

Back