Clippers vs. Timberwolves Parlay Preview Article

VirginiaCavs

CTG Super Moderator
Staff member
Today's Plays Include a (+257) NBA Play-In Tournament Parlay

Los Angeles Clippers vs. Minnesota Timberwolves
Tuesday, April 12, 2022 at 9:30 p.m. ET (TNT) at Target Center in Minneapolis, Minnesota

Minnesota Threes

On offense, the Timberwolves love to shoot three-pointers to a shameless extent.

They attempt the most threes per game, averaging one more three-point attempt per game than the team that ranks second in the category (Utah).

Fans of the team and other spectators routinely criticize them for attempting as many threes as they do.

There is a sound basis for this criticism. One statistical support for the criticism is that the Timberwolves rank just above average, 12th, in three-point percentage.

They are not that efficient from deep. Their mediocre three-point efficiency level does not do justice to the frequency with which they shoot from threes.

A more scrutinizing look at their players' individual skill sets bears out this criticism.

Anthony Edwards, for example, is being made into a high-volume three-point shooter.

Shooting, however, was never really his game. He didn't even make 30 percent of his three-point attempts in his one year at the University of Georgia.

Known more for his rim-attacking, it is odd to see him attempting 8.4 threes per game.

Clipper Perimeter Defense

Minnesota's strange shot profile is one problem for its offense.

This problem is compounded by the Clipper perimeter defense.

L.A. ranks ninth best at limiting opposing three-point attempts per game.

It also ranks fourth-best at limiting the frequency with which the opponent attempts wide open three-point attempts.

These two statistics indicate that the Clippers are very good at running the opponent off the three-point line and at contesting opposing three-point attempts while making it difficult for the other team to procure favorable three-point shooting opportunities.

The Clipper defense will make it difficult for Minnesota to score in one of its most preferred ways.

Rim Protection

Besides shooting threes, the Timberwolves' offense also loves to score by attacking the basket.

In this area, too, the Timberwolves will encounter significant resistance because the Clippers allow the second-lowest field goal percentage within five feet of the basket.

For the Clippers, Ivica Zubac is well-known as a quality rim protector and a reliable shot-blocker.

Scheme

Schematically, the Clippers aim to prevent the opponent from attempting what are statistically the highest-percentage shots.

They get back on defense -- this is why they accrue so few offensive rebounds.

Clipper defenders also like to pack the paint and position themselves in a way that allows them to close out hard and effectively on opposing shooters behind the arc.

Packing the paint is also a tactic to position Clipper off-ball defenders where they can provide help without being as likely to foul.

The connecting link -- between Clipper endeavors to prevent easy layups and favorable three-point shot attempts -- is the ability of L.A. defenders to cover a lot of ground.

Paul George

Since Paul George's return on March 29, the Clippers have the best offensive rating in the NBA.

The scoring has been off the charts with him on the court.

Overall, the Clippers average 108.4 points per game because they spent so much time this season without George's services.

However, they've scored at least 113 points in every game in which he's played.

George is a versatile scorer who offenses have to devote extra attention to.

He shook off his "Playoff Paul" reputation last year, so he is primed to maintain his superb scoring form.

PG is one of many efficient Clipper shooters. He helps L.A. rank third in three-point percentage.

L.A. will be efficient from deep against a Minnesota defense that does a poor job of limiting opposing three-point attempts.

The Verdict

While L.A.'s offense has been top-notch with PG back, Minnesota has scored 120 points or more in five straight games.

The Timberwolves will have some success punishing L.A. for employing Zubac because they have a center in Karl-Anthony Towns who is a willing and efficient three-point shooter.

He'll make Zubac leave his desired space near the basket.

Still, the Clippers are a live underdog because they can do at least as much on offense while their perimeter defense will help them secure an edge in three-point shooting.

Best Bet: Parlay Clippers +3.5 at -115 & Over 230.5 at -110 at +257 odds with BetOnline

Yeah I’ll join you then. I don‘t think I like the over in a playoff-type atmosphere. Guys will be playing defense!

That part of it for sure. Other part is I havnt been good with nba totals all season, havnt played one in at least a month, not gonna start back up now! Lol

I don’t think it has to go under for clippers to win but I do think lower scoring would favor them.

Both dogs and both unders are takin heavy action tonight

Rare occasion simply fading the public could be lucrative

Line move doesn’t really suggest clippers taking all the money.
Both dogs are over 60% and unders are Brooklyn 61% and Minny 82%!

Very much look at dogs and unders that everyone jumps on. Line movement is virtually nil in Clips/Wolves. 3.5 to 3 ain't shit and I don't know one person that thinks Wolves cover 3. Hell I'm not sure they do which is why I'm just using them ML

Both dogs are over 60% and unders are Brooklyn 61% and Minny 82%!

Very much look at dogs and unders that everyone jumps on. Line movement is virtually nil in Clips/Wolves. 3.5 to 3 ain't shit and I don't know one person that thinks Wolves cover 3. Hell I'm not sure they do which is why I'm just using them ML

I’ve heard nothing but wolves online. Lol. I saw wolves open -2 And get to -3.5. Don’t much matter to me tho.

It won't really matter to me either, liked Minny ML straight up and thought they might open as a dog. Sucks they are -150 or worse ML

I hear ya. I probably wouldn’t have played clippers as favs, I was mostly planning on skipping the play In for real, +130 just too damn tempting for me tho.

Back