Clemson vs. NC State Preview Article

VirginiaCavs

CTG Super Moderator
Staff member
Clemson vs. NC State College Football Week 4 Picks

Clemson Tigers vs. NC State Wolfpack
Saturday, September 25, 2021 at 3:30 p.m. ET (ESPN) at Carter-Finley Stadium in Raleigh, North Carolina

Clemson's Offense: Scoring Comparison

In order to even consider investing in the favored team in a game, one needs to have enough confidence in its offense to expect it to outscore the opponent and to win by enough points to cover the spread.

The problem with Clemson, though, is that it is hard to have confidence in its offense.

While its points per game average may look decent enough, this average is inflated by a single game that says little about Clemson.

In this one exception, Clemson scored 49 points against a squad that is not only in the FCS but is also winless. The differential in athletic quality and talent was simply insane

In one of the other games, Clemson mustered 14 points against a Georgia Tech defense that conceded 21 points to MAC team Northern Illinois and 17 points to FCS school Kennesaw State.

As for the other game, the Tigers produced all of a field goal against a Georgia squad that allowed more points to UAB and South Carolina.

Drop in Personnel Quality

Literally everything about Clemson's offense is worse than in previous years.

The offensive line has struggled in its pass and run protection since the beginning of the season.

Part of the problem with this unit is its inexperience and lack of chemistry together.

For the first time since 2016, the Tigers are starting a true freshman in their offensive line.

As for the rest of the offense, Clemson lost recent top pick in the NFL Draft Trevor Lawrence plus elite former Heisman candidate Travis Etienne, plus recent third-round selection wide receiver Amari Rodgers.

These are too many losses to make up for, even just considering the lack of experience at the running back and quarterback positions, each of which is occupied by first-year starters.

DJ Uiagalelei vs. NC State Pass Defense

One specific match-up which I wish to concentrate on is the Clemson pass attack vs. NC State's secondary.

Expectations were high for the former five-star recruit because of his strong performance last year in a nationally televised contest against Notre Dame.

This year, however, Uiagalelei is failing to convert 60 percent of his passes despite averaging a measly 5.5 YPA.

Part of his problem is the lack of support: his run support has deteriorated, thus offering the offense less balance, since a true freshman is replacing Etienne; his pass-catching crew misses Rodgers and his offensive line is younger and more vulnerable.

But part of the problem is also Uiagalelei himself. Even looking back into his high school career, he easily lacks the same accuracy that his predecessor Lawrence showcased.

His lack of accuracy is magnified by bad decision-making as he continues to miss easier reads or, when he finds the right guy, to miss him with an inaccurate pass.

He'll overthrow guys on possibly would-be game-changing plays. When his lack of pass protection compels him to leave the pocket, he fails to make meaningful throws on the run.

All of this inspires pessimism against a Wolfpack defense that returns nine players with a ton of experience in the secondary.

Already before the season began, the Wolfpack were loaded with guys who played a significant number of college football snaps.

Chris Ingram and Teshaun Smith were good enough to start at cornerback for NC State and they are now surpassed on the depth chart.

This deep secondary helps the Wolfpack rank 16th-best in the nation in limiting opposing passer rating.

The defensive line is also helpful with its load of former four-star prospects plus Daniel Joseph, the team's returning sack-leader who, after transferring from Penn State, accrued 6.5 sacks last year.

NC State's Competent Offense

The Wolfpack offense has the sort of proven experience with returning starters at quarterback, running back, and wide receiver that Clemson lacks.

There is depth with a two-pronged rushing attack led by Zonovan Knight's 8.5 YPC and Ricky Person Jr.'s 5..2 YPC and an offensive line filled with returners.

The chemistry between quarterback Devin Leary, whose numbers show that he has the accuracy and downfield throwing ability -- for which he is rather known for -- that his Tiger counterpart lacks, and veteran wide receiver Emeka Emezie is something that Uiagalelei must miss developing with the departed Rodgers.

Best Bet: Wolfpack +10 at -120 with BetOnline

If I didn't have so many more articles (plus my thesis lol) to slog through, I would have also considered the "under" ... seems like it pairs well with the Wolfpack ATS.

Also, spelling that guy's last name never stops being annoying.

NC State gives me Tulane vibes. I like em this week at the number but can see em laying an egg as well

I just don’t know, after watching messy st shut down ncst I have my doubts they can score on Clemson? I don’t trust Clemson offense either and maybe it wrong to expect them to get it fixed but still hesitant to take the fewest points I recall a acc team getting in years. Don’t think I’m ready to go there, if I got 2 tds sure but not sure 10 feels like enough.

Don’t get me wrong i won’t be on Clemson either, just a stay away for me. Dunno why ncst got away from feeding those 2 stud rbs last week? That concerns me, I don’t want to bet them if they putting the game in Leary hands.

In one of the other games, Clemson mustered 14 points against a Georgia Tech defense that conceded 21 points to MAC team Northern Illinois and 17 points to FCS school Kennesaw State.
Tech was sandbagging in the first two games, so those defensive performances don't mean much.

As for the other game, the Tigers produced all of a field goal against a Georgia squad that allowed more points to UAB and South Carolina.
UAB didn't score on Georgia's D. UAB got a pick-6. Also, South Carolina's offense only scored 3 on Georgia before garbage time.

Last edited:
Tech was sandbagging in the first two games, so those defensive performances are meaningless.

UAB didn't score on Georgia's D. UAB got a pick-6. Also, South Carolina's offense only scored 3 on Georgia before garbage time.
Are you high on Clemson this week? I generally think you look at it objectively and obv know you're a fan

Kinda think NCSU score 17-20 and should keep me inside 12 (I hope)

Drop in Personnel Quality

Literally everything about Clemson's offense is worse than in previous years.
The offensive line has struggled in its pass and run protection since the beginning of the season.
Part of the problem with this unit is its inexperience and lack of chemistry together.
For the first time since 2016, the Tigers are starting a true freshman in their offensive line.
As for the rest of the offense, Clemson lost recent top pick in the NFL Draft Trevor Lawrence plus elite former Heisman candidate Travis Etienne, plus recent third-round selection wide receiver Amari Rodgers.
These are too many losses to make up for, even just considering the lack of experience at the running back and quarterback positions, each of which is occupied by first-year starters.
Aside from DJ -- if this is who he is -- there's little if any drop in personnel quality. It's inexperience in the interior of the OL, terrible playcalling and scheming, and receivers who don't block now that Jeff Scott has left for USF.

Are you high on Clemson this week? I generally think you look at it objectively and obv know you're a fan

No, I'm not high on Clemson this week. I'd really like to see offensive improvement before I bet the Tigers.

Why even mess with the side when the total is so easy?

No, I'm not high on Clemson this week. I'd really like to see offensive improvement before I bet the Tigers.

Guess if you like under I should be happy with the plus

Seems too easy to say 20-17. Guessing it plays out differently than that though

It might be a repeat of 1977 with Will Taylor playing the roll of Willie Jordan.

In that one, State led 3-0 in the 4Q. To the horror of the crowd, Willie Jordan fielded a Wolfpack punt at the goal line, but the crowd's demeanor changed when he took it back 75 yards to set up the game's only TD.

Last edited:

I def think you be good if ncst can score that, just kinda have my doubts. For as bad the Clemson offense been the d has actually looked better than last year. I had been really impressed last year with the creativity and play calling in ncst offense but I didn’t see any of that at starksville, maybe they didn’t want to show everything in that game, I dunno? I do know if neither rb gets more than 10 touches I think Leary might have a really tough go of it.

I almost feel like the ml might make more sense than taking the points. If ncst keeps it that close the pressure on Clemson will be immense. Sounds kinda goofy but feels to me like Clemson either gets right snd rolls or the wheels come completely off after ncst hits them in the mouth.

It might be a repeat of 1977 with Will Taylor playing the roll of Willie Jordan.

In that one, State led 3-0 in the 4Q. To the horror of the crowd, Willie Jordan fielded a Wolfpack punt at the goal line, but the crowd's demeanor changed when he took it back 75 yards to set up the game's only TD.

So under all day huh? Certainly makes sense to me.

I love it when we are comparing games to last year or 2018 or something and M.W. comes out with a 1977 reference. I truly do love it! I was reading the Looking for an Angle sheet from Mark Moneymakers newsletter thread and they wrote about Oregon State's 1960 and 1967 games vs USC and I was like "who is writing this, M.W.?" Don't take it the wrong way, I really do like it and appreciate the historical notes.

Allowing 73 points, as Tech did last year against Clemson is really humiliating. You have to figure there was a huge focus on this game at the expense of full focus on the Jackets' first two games. The result was an effective game plan that exploited some very real problems the Clemson offense is having. At least this time Tech didn't hire our coach away from us as they did after the 73-0 beatdown in 1903. (Coach was John Heisman.)

With Tech, last year's 73-7 win was not the biggest victory margin in series history. With State, Clemson's 55-10 win in the last meeting two years ago *was* the biggest margin for either team in 88 meetings, surpassing the 41-point margin (41-0) for Clemson in 2014 when State was a complete no-show after a tough loss vs. FSU. This figures to be another game where the opponent will have a special focus on Clemson.

Allowing 73 points, as Tech did last year against Clemson is really humiliating. You have to figure there was a huge focus on this game at the expense of full focus on the Jackets' first two games. The result was an effective game plan that exploited some very real problems the Clemson offense is having. At least this time Tech didn't hire our coach away from us as they did after the 73-0 beatdown in 1903. (Coach was John Heisman.)

With Tech, last year's 73-7 win was not the biggest victory margin in series history. With State, Clemson's 55-10 win in the last meeting two years ago *was* the biggest margin for either team in 88 meetings, surpassing the 41-point margin (41-0) for Clemson in 2014 when State was a complete no-show after a tough loss vs. FSU. This figures to be another game where the opponent will have a special focus on Clemson.

You would think everyone in acc licking their chops for the chance to knock Clemson off. Much different mentality than teams have had coming into games vs tigers the last 5 or so years!!

One of the first teams I looked at was N C State getting double digits. I bet them a lot last year and the first week this year and they came through for me every time. I like their coach and their toughness.

But I never bet against the best defense, especially a defense so dominant they haven't given up a touchdown yet this season. The Clemson D is the best unit on the field by a mile in this game

The Clemson QB is the slowest moving QB I've seen in years. It seems like even his throwing motion is slow motion and the whole Clemson offense looks out of sync, but I'm not sure N C State can even score so I'm passing on the game

One of the first teams I looked at was N C State getting double digits. I bet them a lot last year and the first week this year and they came through for me every time. I like their coach and their toughness.

But I never bet against the best defense, especially a defense so dominant they haven't given up a touchdown yet this season. The Clemson D is the best unit on the field by a mile in this game

The Clemson QB is the slowest moving QB I've seen in years. It seems like even his throwing motion is slow motion and the whole Clemson offense looks out of sync, but I'm not sure N C State can even score so I'm passing on the game

I’m right there with ya bout ncst, bet them a bunch last year and early this (I even played them vs messy st even tho you warned me! lol).

He always seems to be hunched over. He never stands up and surveys the field. I know the protection has been poor, but there have been no sacks since the Georgia game. I don't know what he's doing back there.

It could be a good game for live betting.

That makes sense. Really do feel like Clemson either rolls them or gets beat. I don’t see them winning a close game here. If the offense comes out and looks like they can move the ball id jump on them cause I trust the d.

Back