Clausen to start at PSU (what that means for Notre Dame)

i can't wait to watch this, i am sorry for anyone that likes notre dame, but i can't wait to watch ND get slaughtered this weekend.

thank god this game on national tv or else i wouldn't be able to watch it because of the F***in big 10 network.

i can't wait to watch this, i am sorry for anyone that likes notre dame, but i can't wait to watch ND get slaughtered this weekend.

thank god this game on national tv or else i wouldn't be able to watch it because of the F***in big 10 network.

Troy - Thanks for that info..

Frankie - I am in 100% agreement. I loved nothing more than cheering for GT this weekend.

my concern is that Clausen will be another golden boy, leading ND to victory in his 2nd game as a true freshmen. I can see the story already. I'm personally not as sure on PSU anymore.

This is 100% the right decision IMO...the kid is the future..

If you watched that game you know he's the choice..

After the first result, give him a chance...

And Jimmy Claussen lacks some things, I don't think this kid has ever lacked confidence or ever could...

No way a true frosh goes into Happy Valley on his second career start and beats PSU. I just cant see it happening

i mean once that defense crushes him...he has no recievers or running game so he won't be able to produce. i'd worry fony of smarja was still there but hes not so no worries here. paterno will wanna beat that ass

my concern is that Clausen will be another golden boy, leading ND to victory in his 2nd game as a true freshmen. I can see the story already. I'm personally not as sure on PSU anymore.

I just can't see it happening as far as golden boy leading them to a victory. You have to get pressure on him but GT gave them a great defensive gameplan on how to do it. If you shutdown Carlson, they have no big time WR's ready to step up yet. I think PSU can overwhelm them on defense.

would it be worth hitting it at +21.5 if i got i at -13.5? i think it would thats a lto of poins to middle

There are some good numbers in there too...14,17,20,21..

8 points of movement, pretty insane and this thing was down at 11..oh my..

I have never had a middle on a play but I don't think there will be many times you have 8points to middle.

This is gonna get ugly...

No one up at PSU (even JoePa despite, what he may say) forgets last year when Notre Dame was up handily and running fake punts in the fourth quarter...Penn State is gonna drill the fuck out of these guys early and often and not let them up for air...ill be surprised if ND scores a touchdown...seriously

Who in this thread would like nothing more than for ND to go 4-8 with wins over Navy, Air Force, Duke, and Stanford. That should put them out of the top 80.

My dad/brother are huge ND fans and going into the GT game they talked a lot of smack to me. I never smiled so much while I got hammered on every other game I bet

For anyone interested..

Looks like Jimmy Clausen's healing elbow has come around just in time for Notre Dame's trip to Penn State where more than 107,000 fans will give him a warm welcome this Saturday in Beaver Stadium.

<!--Start Clausen_gt_267 Image--><SCRIPT language=Javascript>document.write(insertImage('http://vmedia.rivals.com/uploads/961/532265.jpg', '532265.jpg', 0, 267, 200, 1, '', 'Matt Cashore', 1188927791000, 'Clausen_gt_267', 961, 'Align=Left'));</SCRIPT><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=208 align=left border=0><TBODY><TR><TD width=202>
532265.jpg
</TD><TD width=6 rowSpan=2>
spacer1.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD align=right>Matt Cashore</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><!-- End Clausen_gt_267 Image-->Charlie Weis opened his press conference Tuesday at noon EST by hastily announcing Clausen as the starter against the Nittany Lions. After providing a 10-minute preview of Penn State, Weis fielded question after question pertaining to his decision to go with the 6-foot-3, 207-pounder from Westlake Village, Calif.

"He's ready to run the offense," Weis said. "If I didn't think he was ready, I wouldn't do this. He was always ready mentally. It's just that his arm wasn't a full-go until the end of last week. He had been getting reps all along. We just had been keeping him from overexerting himself."

Weis said that Clausen was the leader of the three-man competition with Evan Sharpley and Demetrius Jones upon the conclusion of spring drills in April. But summer bone spur surgery on his right elbow put him behind the competition physically.

"At the end of spring, we took every throw by every player and (evaluated the) running of the operation and everything we do," Weis said. "As we evaluated it as a staff, the (edge) would have gone to him at that time."

Weis expected Clausen to be near or at 100 percent health by the start of the season. But Clausen was unable to practice/throw every day when camp opened on Aug. 6.

"So we kind of got caught in that gray area where we really couldn't consider him as the starter for the opening game," Weis said.

But following Notre Dame's 33-3 loss to Georgia Tech in which Clausen came in relief to complete 4-of-6 passes for 34 yards, Weis promised that he would name a starter by Tuesday at noon. Weis met with the team's leadership committee and the quarterbacks Monday night to inform them of his decision.

Weis said that Clausen would get virtually all of the snaps in preparation for Penn State.

"No, they won't get a lot of work," said Weis in reference to Jones and Sharpley.

He also intimated that this likely would not be a trial run.

"I'm not looking to play musical quarterbacks," Weis said.

When asked how much of Saturday's performance by the three quarterbacks came into play with the decision to start Clausen, Weis said, "Not much."

Weis wouldn't indicate what type of offense he would run against Penn State. But he did say, "I always put the quarterback in the position with things that he can do the best. That's what we did last week with Demetrius and Evan. I'll do the same thing with Jimmy."

Weis is more comfortable starting Clausen after getting him a couple of series against Georgia Tech.

"The best thing that happened is that he got into the game last week," Weis said. "I'd be more concerned if his first reps were in front of 107,000 in Happy Valley. But I think we got that out of the way in the fourth quarter last week."

Asked who the No. 2 quarterback would be for Penn State, Weis said, "We're just talking about who the starter is. We're not talking about who's No. 2.

Ultimately, it wasn't a very difficult choice for Weis.

"Managing the team, his arm's back…I think he gives us the best chance of winning," Weis said.

would it be worth hitting it at +21.5 if i got i at -13.5? i think it would thats a lto of poins to middle

If I get 21.5 points I'll probably middle my full amount ($150). Depending on where it ends up I may middle half of it otherwise. I'm locked in at 13.5 as well...

Clausen is in there because Weis has already seen the handwriting on the wall.

Build for the future now at the sacrifice of this season. If Clausen gets butchered the first few games, that's ok. At least he's getting experience.

The bigger concern is how to fix the OL. Without that getting fixed, Clausen might get injured.

I like this spot alot for PSU in a revenge game, at home, against the rookie golden boy QB--the savior of the ND program, etc. PSU is out for blood and I don't see how ND gets to 17 points in this one.

PSU will post 40+.

This is definitely the right decision based on what I saw. The other 2 Qbs played miserably, and more importantly, they just looked bad. Jones, I'm guessing, might still be used as a change of pace QB, but he just doesn't have what it takes to lead this team.

Call me crazy, but PSU beating up on one of the (if not the) worst teams in college football seems irrelevant, and I'm not quite as ready to buy PSU as eagerly as everyone else is to sell ND.

I'll take over 17 for this one, but let's hope I get 21 and they lose by 20 so we can all win!

While there is not much to take away from PSU's performance I feel pretty good about anything under 17..I think ND scoring 14points would be an accomplishment and I can see how PSU can get 31+. ND is really bad on the OL, they are just young and inexperienced. It is the right decision to start him because he is there future and they can chalk up a bad season to having a true frosh QB start.

Looking at the remaining games on ND schedule... If they are as bad as they looked in week 1, I see maybe 4 games they should be favored in.

@PSU
@Mich
Mich St
@Purdue
@UCLA
BC
USC
NAVY
AF
DUKE
@Stanford

Agreed Dystopia...we've gone from saying Morelli is a huge question mark to now a heisman candidate based on one game vs a team that went 0-12 last year..

I'm not ready to buy PSU even being a very good team yet..

I still think they are a 4th best team in the Big Ten type of team..

I actually think Stanford might be favored over this team... ND isn't good, but they just don't need to be written off as 20-point dogs to every team on the block.

I base most of this on the defensive stands they made early in that game when it still counted. Remember, if you watched the game, GT was held to 4 straight FG attempts (one was blocked) and didn't get a TD until ND started to panic because of how miserably Jones was playing. The game didn't become truly out of reach until they started swapping QBs. If Weis gets his game plan in order I think they have a legit shot to "compete" in this game, meaning they probably get a chance or two at some point early before the depth and the fans in Happy Valley wear them down, losing by about 8-11 points.

Trust me, I'm not saying ND is a slam dunk here at all... there's still a lot of questions. But, questions for both teams. Which is why I wouldn't lay more than 2 TDs here. If the total is higher than 45, you'll def see me on the under. I'm backing on both teams struggling here, which is why I'm taking points.

Who in this thread would like nothing more than for ND to go 4-8 with wins over Navy, Air Force, Duke, and Stanford. That should put them out of the top 80.

Unfortunately that should still be enough for a BCS bowl invite.

I actually think Stanford might be favored over this team... ND isn't good, but they just don't need to be written off as 20-point dogs to every team on the block.

I base most of this on the defensive stands they made early in that game when it still counted. Remember, if you watched the game, GT was held to 4 straight FG attempts (one was blocked) and didn't get a TD until ND started to panic because of how miserably Jones was playing. The game didn't become truly out of reach until they started swapping QBs. If Weis gets his game plan in order I think they have a legit shot to "compete" in this game, meaning they probably get a chance or two at some point early before the depth and the fans in Happy Valley wear them down, losing by about 8-11 points.

Trust me, I'm not saying ND is a slam dunk here at all... there's still a lot of questions. But, questions for both teams. Which is why I wouldn't lay more than 2 TDs here. If the total is higher than 45, you'll def see me on the under. I'm backing on both teams struggling here, which is why I'm taking points.

Remember though, this is not a good GT offense outside of Choice. If they had any type of passing game with Bennett, they score TD's not field goals there. IMO, PSU has a better offense than GT..ND is lucky they held them to field goals imo.

But, choice and that running game alone makes me like GTs offense a bit more. I think Morelli is def better than Bennett, but he threw no picks and was only sacked once... He did nothing to hurt the team. We'll see if we can say the same thing about Morelli next week.

You guys buying into ND being the play...

PSU's defense is as good as Techs. Maybe Morelli doesn;t have a good game but he is facing a horrid defense. Tech didn;t come into ND as an offensive machine and managed 33 points. Morellui has had 2 very nice games in a row and this game is going to be a slaughter.

I got a crap line on this game, because I did not have a Bookmaker account funded. Well I now have one funded, as these lines get out of hand before they touch The Greek. I got Penn State -16.5, and if this line hits 21.5 I will try and middle it for sure. I will even consider it for less. I have to think about this game, seems this line has just gotten out of hand. I can't see why people would want to lay 17.5 in this contest. I know that Notre Dame was horrible, has big questions at QB and WR, and Penn State has revenge here. Still mulling it over.

I think it is the right decision for Weis to start Clausen, but I do not see Clausen being the golden boy that leads ND to a victory.

Penn St line is up from -14.5 to -17 everywhere I look now, which sucks for me because I want to take Penn St but wondering how many points I should lay... any opinions, fellas? Is -17.5 too much?

Thinking about it a bit more I have a few thoughts on Notre Dame...

It's obvious that Clausen doesn't know all of Notre Dames playbook yet. Don't you guys feel that at most they'll be able to run 20-30% of their plays, thus severely limiting the offense and allowing PSU to tee off on them even more? Also, is it possible that the only reason Weis is playing is the kids is to prove that Clausen is NOT the answer? I think it's clear the other two QB's blow in Weis system. While the fan base believes Clausen in the answer, he's obviously not prepared. As a coach wouldn't you think about proving to your fan base that their couch coaching is just as bad as his on the field coaching? I think he may just be tossing the kid to the wolves to prove to the fan base that Clausen can't win either.

It's obvious that Clausen doesn't know all of Notre Dames playbook yet. Don't you guys feel that at most they'll be able to run 20-30% of their plays, thus severely limiting the offense and allowing PSU to tee off on them even more? Also, is it possible that the only reason Weis is playing is the kids is to prove that Clausen is NOT the answer? I think it's clear the other two QB's blow in Weis system. While the fan base believes Clausen in the answer, he's obviously not prepared. As a coach wouldn't you think about proving to your fan base that their couch coaching is just as bad as his on the field coaching? I think he may just be tossing the kid to the wolves to prove to the fan base that Clausen can't win either.

That's some impressive cynicism there....

Wow, impressively cynical indeed. Hmmm, definitely makes me question my possible play a bit more. I guess I'll wait for a better number then. If I can get anything over 19 I might take it. But, if this theory holds true, then it won't matter which number I get because Weis just might want to lose it by 30+.

Back