Clash at the Coliseum Preview Article

VirginiaCavs

CTG Super Moderator
Staff member
2023 Busch Light Clash at The Coliseum Race Preview and Best Bets: Invest in Christopher Bell and Kyle Busch

NASCAR Cup Series: Busch Light Clash at The Coliseum
Sunday, February 5, 2023 at 8 p.m. ET (FOX) at Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum in Los Angeles

Second Rendition

Sunday is the second rendition of The Clash.

This new version of the race will be slightly bigger than last year's.

Whereas 23 drivers competed in last year's first ever Clash, 27 drivers will occupy the field in this year's.

Format

The format for this year's Clash is basically the same as it was last year's.

After practice sessions in which drivers have opportunity to get comfortable in their cars, there will be qualifying.

Last year's Cup Series owner points standings will determine the qualifying order.

Qualifying will be one-round and single-vehicle. Three laps will be run, the last two of which will be timed.

The direct importance of qualifying is that it will establish the order for the heat races.

The top five drivers from each heat race will clinch their spot in The Clash.

Other top drivers from these heat races might get to participate in The Clash -- they will have to participate in one of two Last Chance Qualifiers.

Each of the LCQs will be 50 laps, and the starting order for each one will depend on drivers' finishing order in the heat races.

This format might seem confusing because of the multiplicity of steps involved.

But the qualifying process is robust just as a means of giving drivers more opportunities to participate in a race that fields so fewer drivers compared to normal Cup Series races.

Race Info

These are the basic details for the upcoming Clash that takes place on Sunday evening.

For this race, drivers must complete a total of 150 laps.

One may presume that, like last year's race, a stage break will take place upon completion of the 75thlap.

Starting Lineup

The starting positions for this race will be established by the heat races, which also largely determine drivers' ability to participate in this race

For example, starting position one will be occupied by the Heat 1 race winner. Starting position two will be occupied by he Heat 2 race winner. And so on.

Entry List

An entry list has already been published for this race.

The entry list contains 36 drivers/teams.

So, barring any unforeseen circumstances, we already know which drivers will participate in this race.

We may expect all the usual suspects.

Track Info

The racing track inside the Coliseum is a short one.

Laps are a quarter-mile each.

So, in completing 150 laps, drivers will have accumulated 37.5 miles.

There are four turns on this asphalt surface with minimal banking -- the banking is 2.5 degrees, which is uniquely small.

Drivers to Avoid

Given the fact that drivers will compete on a short track, we need to use drivers' short track stats in order to determine the likelihood of their success on Sunday.

One bigger name worth avoiding is Martin Truex Jr., given his relatively poor finishing position on short tracks.

Another is Ryan Blaney. I find it odd that he is more highly favored than Truex Jr., because Blaney has yet to win a single race on a short track.

In any case, there is no value in Blaney.

My Guys

Given the available betting odds, we should invest in two different drivers.

Doing so increases the probability that we are right in a way that is less risky because the odds are so generous at plus money.

My two favorite drivers for Sunday's race are Christopher Bell and Kyle Busch.

Bell is an underrated driver who nearly won at Richmond and did win at New Hampshire and Martinsville.

Evidently, he is uniquely well-suited to perform on the type of track that drivers will navigate on Sunday.

As for Kyle Busch, he leads active drivers with 16 wins on short tracks.

For the above reasons, invest in both drivers to win on Sunday.

Best Bets: Christopher Bell Outright at +1000 with Bovada & Kyle Busch Outright at +850 with Bovada

2023 Busch Light Clash at The Coliseum Race Preview and Best Bets: Invest in Christopher Bell and Kyle Busch

NASCAR Cup Series: Busch Light Clash at The Coliseum
Sunday, February 5, 2023 at 8 p.m. ET (FOX) at Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum in Los Angeles

Second Rendition

Sunday is the second rendition of The Clash.

This new version of the race will be slightly bigger than last year's.

Whereas 23 drivers competed in last year's first ever Clash, 27 drivers will occupy the field in this year's.

Format

The format for this year's Clash is basically the same as it was last year's.

After practice sessions in which drivers have opportunity to get comfortable in their cars, there will be qualifying.

Last year's Cup Series owner points standings will determine the qualifying order.

Qualifying will be one-round and single-vehicle. Three laps will be run, the last two of which will be timed.

The direct importance of qualifying is that it will establish the order for the heat races.

The top five drivers from each heat race will clinch their spot in The Clash.

Other top drivers from these heat races might get to participate in The Clash -- they will have to participate in one of two Last Chance Qualifiers.

Each of the LCQs will be 50 laps, and the starting order for each one will depend on drivers' finishing order in the heat races.

This format might seem confusing because of the multiplicity of steps involved.

But the qualifying process is robust just as a means of giving drivers more opportunities to participate in a race that fields so fewer drivers compared to normal Cup Series races.

Race Info

These are the basic details for the upcoming Clash that takes place on Sunday evening.

For this race, drivers must complete a total of 150 laps.

One may presume that, like last year's race, a stage break will take place upon completion of the 75thlap.

Starting Lineup

The starting positions for this race will be established by the heat races, which also largely determine drivers' ability to participate in this race

For example, starting position one will be occupied by the Heat 1 race winner. Starting position two will be occupied by he Heat 2 race winner. And so on.

Entry List

An entry list has already been published for this race.

The entry list contains 36 drivers/teams.

So, barring any unforeseen circumstances, we already know which drivers will participate in this race.

We may expect all the usual suspects.

Track Info

The racing track inside the Coliseum is a short one.

Laps are a quarter-mile each.

So, in completing 150 laps, drivers will have accumulated 37.5 miles.

There are four turns on this asphalt surface with minimal banking -- the banking is 2.5 degrees, which is uniquely small.

Drivers to Avoid

Given the fact that drivers will compete on a short track, we need to use drivers' short track stats in order to determine the likelihood of their success on Sunday.

One bigger name worth avoiding is Martin Truex Jr., given his relatively poor finishing position on short tracks.

Another is Ryan Blaney. I find it odd that he is more highly favored than Truex Jr., because Blaney has yet to win a single race on a short track.

In any case, there is no value in Blaney.

My Guys

Given the available betting odds, we should invest in two different drivers.

Doing so increases the probability that we are right in a way that is less risky because the odds are so generous at plus money.

My two favorite drivers for Sunday's race are Christopher Bell and Kyle Busch.

Bell is an underrated driver who nearly won at Richmond and did win at New Hampshire and Martinsville.

Evidently, he is uniquely well-suited to perform on the type of track that drivers will navigate on Sunday.

As for Kyle Busch, he leads active drivers with 16 wins on short tracks.

For the above reasons, invest in both drivers to win on Sunday.

Best Bets: Christopher Bell Outright at +1000 with Bovada & Kyle Busch Outright at +850 with Bovada
I like Bell a lot, pre-practice and pre-qualifying. He finished 1, 4, 2, 6, and 20 on short tracks last year and 8th in the Clash.

I will be fading Truex, who was not his normal dominant self on short tracks last year, other than Richmond. He also did not race well in the Clash last year.

I will also be fading Reddick, who has never been a good short track driver and was worse last year, finishing 35, 25, 31, 18, and 12 in short tracks last year and at the back of the field in the Clash due to mechanical issues. He is in a new car, one that performed decently on short tracks last year.

Last edited:
Reddick led 51 of 53 laps in this race last year when his car died fwiw.

I don't think anyone past row 4 or 5 has any shot to win this. It's just too small of a track to pass.

Reddick led 51 of 53 laps in this race last year when his car died fwiw.

I don't think anyone past row 4 or 5 has any shot to win this. It's just too small of a track to pass.
Yeah, I remember that he dominated his heat race. I just looked it up and he was leading the main race when he had car issues. He did tons of testing last offseason so it translated well to the Clash last year. Short tracks are not his thing, although the Clash is its own kind of short track.

The car that Reddick will be driving did not qualify for the main race last year, but he was running up front when he crashed in the transfer race. Everything around Reddick is new this year so I don't know how long it will take for it all to mesh.

Also worth noting. Kyle Busch is in the 8 car this year. The 8 car that Reddick led 51 of 53 laps last year. Busch much better short track driver than Reddick.

Biggest movers from last year's race:

Erik Jones started 16th finished 4th
AJ Allmendinger started 21st finished 9th

Last edited:
I may also be interested in Preece and Buescher after qualifying as they may be matched up against lesser drivers.

Buescher improved last year overall, especially on short tracks. I bet on Buescher often last year.

Preece has always been good on short tracks and has been working with SHR for a couple of years now so he should be able to step into the SHR car this year without any adjustment period.

I am also interested to see how McDowell does this year. This race is not his thing, but I bet on him on superspeedways and road courses a lot last year. He has a new crew chief and I think his crew chief last year was mostly responsible for McDowell having a better season last year but we will see.

I may also be interested in Preece and Buescher after qualifying as they may be matched up against lesser drivers.

Buescher improved last year overall, especially on short tracks. I bet on Buescher often last year.

Preece has always been good on short tracks and has been working with SHR for a couple of years now so he should be able to step into the SHR car this year without any adjustment period.

I am also interested to see how McDowell does this year. This race is not his thing, but I bet on him on superspeedways and road courses a lot last year. He has a new crew chief and I think his crew chief last year was mostly responsible for McDowell having a better season last year but we will see.

Good to see Preece back full-time. Smart move by SHR to shitcan Custer and go with Preece instead.

Watching practice, Briscoe said he expects less passing this year as drivers are more accustomed to the track now.

Good to see Preece back full-time. Smart move by SHR to shitcan Custer and go with Preece instead.

Watching practice, Briscoe said he expects less passing this year as drivers are more accustomed to the track now.
Briscoe is interesting. He shifts more than other drivers which should help him pass. He is also pretty good at Martinsville, probably the most similar track.

Back