CJ Spiller leaves Bills to be with family after murder/suicide

KowboyKarl

Live. Breathe. Blue.
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/23335449/cj-spiller-leaves-buffalo-indefinitely-to-be-with-family-in-florida

In regards to the Bills and Pats game week 1 (not sure which other thread to put this in), there has been a pretty substantial line movement (from 7 to 10.5) which I'm assuming is in response to the news that Tuel would be starting Week 1. Most likely Tuel will not be starting that game, and it's not even what Marrone said, after hearing more about the situation.

The national media ran with Marrone's comments, and plastered it everywhere that Tuel would be starting Week 1 vs the Pats. What Marrone actually said is "right now, we are planning on Tuel starting the NE game." What else could he have said? EJ Manuel still isn't back to practice, and it obviously remains to be seen if he will have enough time to heal and prepare for the NE game, but with Kolb out Tuel is their only other real option right now. EJ's recovery was given a 2 week timetable, and it will be 2 weeks on Sunday. Marrone said that as long as EJ gets the practice time in that he wants him to get in, EJ will be starting the game.

Might be a good time to jump on Buffalo, and then watch the line drop back down to around 7 if/when EJ is starting the game. If it gets back to 7, you could conceivably buy the half point down to 6.5 and have a nice middle with both 7 and 10 in that middle.

I heard again today that Tuel would likely go....all speculation and people's opinion at this point tho....EJs procedure was very minor

Does it matter either way? The Pats gonna skin em and fry em like fresh caught catfish on the bayou anyway, right?

Spiller will likely be the gameday guest this week in Clemson as well

Talked to a big Clemson fan in South Carolina while I was at work today.....he said "that boy Dabo don't beat them Cocks this year, he gone".

He's lost 4 in a row to the Ol' Ball Coach...if you can't beat the Gamecocks, you don't keep your job at Clemson.

Last edited:
Talked to a big Clemson fan in South Carolina while I was at work today.....he said "that boy Dabo don't beat them Cocks this year, he gone".

He's lost 4 in a to the Ol' Ball Coach...if you can't beat the Gamecocks, you don't keep your job at Clemson.

That's not true. He goes 10-2 with a loss to SoCar and he's nowhere near the hotseat

I'm sure you're right, Dwight...pretty much just pointing out how important that rivalry is to Clemson fans.

I'm sure you're right, Dwight...pretty much just pointing out how important that rivalry is to Clemson fans.

This is honestly the first time we've had any significant stretch of multiple losses to the Gamecocks so its certainly unacceptable to some. This is also the best stretch in SoCar football history. It's certainly not ideal but it's not the end of the world. That said, I don't live in the state anymore so I don't have to hear the chatter

I heard again today that Tuel would likely go....all speculation and people's opinion at this point tho....EJs procedure was very minor

You're hearing that from the national media. Marrone only said they are preparing as if Tuel will start, because again, what else can he say right now with EJ not practicing yet? Their other options, at this point, are newly signed Matt Leinart or newly signed Thaddeus Lewis....obviously if EJ can't go Tuel will be behind center Week 1. You're right, the procedure was very minor. According to many reports locally, EJ should be ready to get back to practice on Monday, and the Bills have a day off on Tuesday. They may hold him out on Monday, just to be safe, but Marrone did say that if EJ got back to practice before Thursday that he would feel more comfortable starting him then if he couldn't get back on the field until Thursday (of next week all of these days are referring to, obviously).

Now eight days removed from his minor knee procedure, Marrone said that Manuel has continued to do footwork drills and other exercises with team trainers. He even says that the young quarterback is going 100 miles an hour to try and get back in a timely manner.

"He's coming back and he's doing everything he can. He's progressing," the coach said. "You talk to the kid, you would think he's starting on Thursday," Marrone said.

That quote is referring to this Thursday, and the final preseason game vs. Minnesota. It really sounds as if EJ will be ready to go, and it will be the Bills' final decision as to whether they hold him out and stay on the cautious side, especially since the whole RGIII thing and last year's playoff game. I'm sure the Bills are thinking long term, and don't want to risk EJ getting hurt and possibly putting his entire season in jeopardy. But again, it was a minor procedure and the original timetable for his return was 2 weeks.

Does it matter either way? The Pats gonna skin em and fry em like fresh caught catfish on the bayou anyway, right?

I agree with you completely, especially with Gilmore now out for 6-8 weeks. Just nice to have a middle opportunity with 7 and 10 in the mix.

A few more quotes from Doug Marrone about the QB situation for Week 1 vs NE...

"Right now, we’re planning on Jeff Tuel playing the first game and we’re working with EJ to get back as quickly as possible," Head Coach Doug Marrone said on Monday.

Caught by surprise a bit, reporters asked the head coach to clarify if that meant Manuel, the team's first round pick, had been ruled out of the opening game against New England. Marrone then said the team remained hopeful that their top pick from 2013 would indeed be ready for the home opener against the Patriots.

"We’re planning on (Tuel) now because he’s the one out there practicing and as soon as we get EJ out there practicing then obviously things will change," he said.

He's lost 4 in a row to the Ol' Ball Coach...if you can't beat the Gamecocks, you don't keep your job at Clemson.

That's not true. He goes 10-2 with a loss to SoCar and he's nowhere near the hotseat
Only way I could seem that scenario playing out is if they feel Chad Morris is gonna move on for a head coaching job somewhere else...obviously with what they pay him they get his value...If Chad was going to Texas or something, I could see them firing him to promote Morris and keep Deshaun Watson in the fold. He's that good.

This is honestly the first time we've had any significant stretch of multiple losses to the Gamecocks so its certainly unacceptable to some. This is also the best stretch in SoCar football history. It's certainly not ideal but it's not the end of the world. That said, I don't live in the state anymore so I don't have to hear the chatter

You weren't the guy on 99.9 FM yesterday talking about how Clemson could "Clemson" this weekend against UGa and be the worse loss of the three ACC schools playing?!

Only way I could seem that scenario playing out is if they feel Chad Morris is gonna move on for a head coaching job somewhere else...obviously with what they pay him they get his value...If Chad was going to Texas or something, I could see them firing him to promote Morris and keep Deshaun Watson in the fold. He's that good.

chad Morris writes his own ticket if they win another ten games this season. Go ahead and put that in red ink.

Pretty amazing what Chad Morris has done...coach HS ball for 15 yrs and in just just 3 yrs in CFB the name he's already made for himself.

Didn't he go like 4-22 in his career? I'm not a big fan of perennial losers at the QB position.

Me either. It was not a statement of endorsement for him but rather an indictment of what I think Manuel is. Speaking of perennial winners... looks like Tebow is gonna get cut most likely.

Bills have too much talent on offense no matter who is starting. They will score points this year and once the defense is healthy again they will be solid. I'm picking Bills/Cleveland to both make playoffs this year. Drinking the kool-aid and its tasting good.

Back