Cincinnati vs. Tulsa Preview Article

VirginiaCavs

CTG Super Moderator
Staff member
Cincinnati vs. Tulsa: NCAAF Week 7 Game Picks and Predictions

Cincinnati Bearcats vs. Tulsa Golden Hurricanes
Saturday, October 17, 2020 at noon ET (ESPN 2) at Chapman Stadium in Tulsa, Oklahoma

Key Handicapping Strategy

We need to keep in mind that this game will come down to which team does a better job running the ball.

While Cincinnati owns the nation’s 21st-highest run-play percentage, Tulsa ranks 26th in the category.

Neither team wants to rely too heavily on the passing ability of its respective starting quarterback. Instead, each team features a collection of running backs who „carry“ primary responsibility for moving the offense forward.

Naturally, the first thing that we should want to look at is each team’s run defense stats.

The problem with this natural inclination is the following: each team’s run defense ranks quite similarly.

Also, given each team’s specific circumstances until now, it’s too early in the season to glean much from each team’s run defense rankings.

In terms of run defense, the Bearcats rank poorly because they had to contend with Army’s triple-option offense. Also, Austin Peay accumulated massive gains during garbage time in the fourth quarter.

Likewise, Tulsa’s run defense had to deal with Oklahoma State and its elite running back. Plus, it faced UCF last week, which was only its second game of the season.

It would be similarly unfair and deceptive to punish Tulsa for ranking poorly in run defense.

So what do we do?

Personnel: Tulsa

We have to dig deeper and look into the players on both defensive lines. In analyzing personnel, it emerges that one team will have a clear advantage in its run-stopping prerogative: Cincinnati.

During the offseason, the Golden Hurricane defensive line lost two starters, both stalwarts, both hard to replace.

Keep in mind that, on defense, Tulsa functions as a 3-3-5. So losing two defensive linemen means that Tulsa loses 66 percent of last year’s starters on this unit.

Trevis Gipson was one starter. He was drafted in the fifth round by the Chicago Bears.

Shemarr Robinson was the other starter on the defensive line who moved on during the offseason.

Gipson’s replacement is Cullen Wick. Wick really exemplifies the regression that Tulsa undergoes at defensive end.

Whereas Gipson accrued 15 tackles for loss last season, Wick still has zero. Wick, who was Gipson's backup last year, is nowhere near the disruptive force that Gipson was.

At nose guard, the main problem is depth. There is little of it and the depth that the Golden Hurricanes bring at this position remains very young, green, and unproven.

In terms of personnel, Tulsa’s run defense looks vulnerable because of its deficiencies on the defensive line. Its linebacking corps also tries to regroup after losing two starters.

Cincinnati’s Superior Run Defense Personnel

Compared to Tulsa’s, Cincinnati’s defensive line looks stacked with depth and quality.

Two defensive linemen earned spots on Athlon’s All-AAC Preseason First Team: Elijah Ponder and Myjai Sanders.

Ponder was also an All-AAC first-team honoree. The Bearcat defensive tackle specializes in stopping the run as evidenced, partly, by his 7.5 tackles for loss last season.

At the end position, Sanders is a disruptive force with his length and skill set. He’s leading the team with four tackles for loss and 2.5 sacks.

Sanders was and is a consistent, game-by-game force who will reliably win his battles in the trenches.

A perusal of the team’s defensive line depth chart shows a lot of proven producers who are reliably disruptive and aren’t even starters.

At linebacker, Jarell White is another force who’s earned preseason accolades as well as 2020 weekly honors.

He stood out for his run-stopping ability by amassing 15 tackles against Army’s difficult option run game.

Cincinnati Offense vs. Tulsa Defense

The Bearcat offensive scheme is distinguished with its variety both in play-calling and personnel.

Cincinnati will showcase everything: four-to-five wide receiver sets, bunch formations, options, tempo, non-tempo, and so forth.

Starting running back Gerrid Doaks is coming off a 100-yard rushing effort on 22 carries last week against South Florida.

While he enjoys plenty of depth behind him, one can’t discount the running ability of quarterback Desmond Ridder, who averages 4.7 YPC.

As evident by completion percentage, for example, Ridder has improved his accuracy and efficiency as a passer.

It helps him that he has a number of very able pass-catchers to throw to.

One of those is Doaks who has 130 receiving yards off of six receptions with his big-play ability.

He exemplifies the versatility, the pass-catching prowess of Cincinnati running backs that makes them more multivalent in their production than Tulsa’s.

Tulsa’s lack of depth on the defensive line will be exploited by the Bearcats’ depth at running back while Tulsa’s loss of two starters both at the linebacker and safety positions damage their chances against the Bearcats’ extended pass-catching options particularly out of the backfield.

The Verdict

I get that Tulsa is a sexy betting option after its upset win last week.

But the Bearcats will more than double the short spread with its prowess on the ground, its high-quality range of ability in the trenches on defense, and with its versatility in scheme and passing.

Best Bet: Bearcats -4 at -110 with Bovada

I’m sure it helped that okie lite lost their qb but I thought the tulsa defense with its new starters showed very strongly against those backs. Bearcats did a incredible job vs the army option, holding them under 200 rushing is a huge accomplishment. (As was tulsa keeping Hubbard under 100 on 27 carries!).. soon as I saw this matchup I was super interested in the total which I now see at 45.5. Gotta think before I try to make my own score i prob lean under. Most likely agree with cincy as well, I was sure hoping to be getting more to consider tulsa.

I’m sure it helped that okie lite lost their qb but I thought the tulsa defense with its new starters showed very strongly against those backs. Bearcats did a incredible job vs the army option, holding them under 200 rushing is a huge accomplishment. (As was tulsa keeping Hubbard under 100 on 27 carries!).. soon as I saw this matchup I was super interested in the total which I now see at 45.5. Gotta think before I try to make my own score i prob lean under. Most likely agree with cincy as well, I was sure hoping to be getting more to consider tulsa.

possibly ok state was hindered by breaking in a mostly very inexperienced offensive line playing in its season opener. But yea i see the case for Tulsa‘s defense

possibly ok state was hindered by breaking in a mostly very inexperienced offensive line playing in its season opener. But yea i see the case for Tulsa‘s defense

im sure losing their qb allowed tulsa to really focus on the run game and a case can be made on same front as breaking in a new oline it took okie st offense several weeks and a garbage Ku squad to click. Guess I think the verdict still out with tulsa but they certainly havnt shown anything to make me think their d isn’t solid. Holding ucf to 26 points is no easy feat.

Make no mistake I was incredibly sad when I saw where the line was cause I was def thinking I’d be interested in tulsa but I was also thinking I was gonna get more than a touchdown honestly! Now I see it a freaking fg!!

Make no mistake I was incredibly sad when I saw where the line was cause I was def thinking I’d be interested in tulsa but I was also thinking I was gonna get more than a touchdown honestly! Now I see it a freaking fg!!

They probably know that they'd get tons of exposure on Tulsa at plus over a touchdown and didn't want that risk!

They probably know that they'd get tons of exposure on Tulsa at plus over a touchdown and didn't want that risk!

suppose you right. I wanna say I played tulsa as a dog a shitload last year and they were great to me, kept just barely losing games they were dd dogs in. Seem to recall I was taking shot on ml a lot and was so happy when they finally pulled one off. So I could be somewhat partial to this team, lol. Appears after giving okie lite all they wanted then pulling the upset on ucf the word is finally out and no more value :(

I figure Cincinnati wins the game, a couple things worry me #1 their awful offense vs Army and vs USF. #2 Tulsa's level of competition has been strong, arguably this is a step down for them. More accurately it is just yet another quality opponent for them early in the season. So I would think that Tulsa is prepared for Cincy's talent, speed and physicalness because they have been playing teams with those traits already.

I also thought under immediately, but I see 43.5 now I think? Man that is getting low.

This game might actually come down to which QB plays better or makes the fewer mistakes. Note Ridder's 4-4 ratio vs FBS teams. Yuck!

I would still take Cincinnati, I just hope that line keeps falling because I don't feel great laying much. Saw 4 ,now 3.5.

I know despite going 0-6 on unders this season the under is sticking out like a sore thumb to me in this game too. Using adjusted line yards at FO the defensive lines are actually ranked quite high in the top 10 of line yards, opportunity rank, and stuff rankings....granted small sample size for Tulsa with just two games. Because of that too Tulsa has a large Strength of Schedule advantage to Cinn ranking 2nd according to Sagarin only facing UCF and Oklahoma State where Cinn is ranked 88th. Great write-ups! You save a lot of time for anyone looking to analyze these games, Thanks

Cincy last season at home vs. Tulsa was -16 now on the road its -3. Tulsa has had 3 strong covers in a row beating the spread numbers by 18,15 and 28.5. I know that Tulsa has been explosive but based on the lines Tulsa is not going to end up blowing this line out. In fact I think Cincy is the play here.

Tulsa:
-7 to ECU
+24 to Ok St
+20.5 to UCF
now +3 no way I back Tulsa at this line the Value has been stripped.

After last years line of -16 and all the Value gone I conclude Cincy is worth a gamble here. Buy low sell high

Cincy last season at home vs. Tulsa was -16 now on the road its -3. Tulsa has had 3 strong covers in a row beating the spread numbers by 18,15 and 28.5. I know that Tulsa has been explosive but based on the lines Tulsa is not going to end up blowing this line out. In fact I think Cincy is the play here.

Tulsa:
-7 to ECU
+24 to Ok St
+20.5 to UCF
now +3 no way I back Tulsa at this line the Value has been stripped.

After last years line of -16 and all the Value gone I conclude Cincy is worth a gamble here. Buy low sell high

like I said I sure was hoping to keep getting nice lines on tulsa, I seriously expected a td so I can’t argue at all for playing cincy cause I agree lines have caught up to tulsa. Maybe they have finally gotten over the hump after playing so many teams tough last year as dd dogs then finally getting a win toward the end the year, then basically doing same thing to start this year then knocking off ucf. I gotta see it tho, I can’t take them needing them to pretty much win. I still think it most likely I get involved with the total. Low numbers don’t scare me when I think they warranted!! I played the one this low in uga/aub and somehow cashed after that Uga 1st half! Lol.

I feel like some of you guys are basically arguing for a Tulsa & under teaser?

I don’t like teasing ncaa football but if there was ever a game to do it this not a bad one imo. Still think I prefer just the under but I fucked up not grabbing 45.5 when I went across river to bet last nights games!! I havnt really dug far in tho, I’m going to now and if I like it I’ll prob grab 44 when I swing over to bet bills and baseball!!

You left out that Tulsa will have the best defensive player in the game, Zaven Collins. Tulsa lines him up all over the field and no one has been able to handle him so far.

You are correct in saying Cincinnati should be able to run the ball better and stop the run better than Tulsa, but Tulsa has shown a very good D a home for a while now. The glaring weakness for Tulsa is the kicking game. They haven't been able to rely on any kicker since Montgomery got there.

I like Cincinnati's talent more here, but I expected i would play Tulsa, because like 2dabank, I thought I would be getting at least a TD in this spot.

As for fans, Tulsa is the smallest school in the FBS and almost never sells out or even gets a good crowd except when they host OU or Okla State.

You left out that Tulsa will have the best defensive player in the game, Zaven Collins. Tulsa lines him up all over the field and no one has been able to handle him so far.

You are correct in saying Cincinnati should be able to run the ball better and stop the run better than Tulsa, but Tulsa has shown a very good D a home for a while now. The glaring weakness for Tulsa is the kicking game. They haven't been able to rely on any kicker since Montgomery got there.

I like Cincinnati's talent more here, but I expected i would play Tulsa, because like 2dabank, I thought I would be getting at least a TD in this spot.

As for fans, Tulsa is the smallest school in the FBS and almost never sells out or even gets a good crowd except when they host OU or Okla State.

why couldn’t we keep getting those lovely lines on tulsa? It been working so well for 1.5 years now! Fuckers started pulling off some the upsets or staying too close and secret got out!! I don’t think I’ll be joining them but I think they right the value is actually with cincy at only a damn fg. I mean can we really trust tulsa to get the win? I’d like to but not ready to. Plus why get all fussy with a side when this bitch going under!!

if it's a tight game i like cincy history in tight games vs tulsa history. Cincy is having trouble with Riddler - he seems very off. But he is also very capable.

I like this the best on the whole card the under in this game. Cincinnati is playing tresselball with Fickell and UC unders are cashing every single week

if it's a tight game i like cincy history in tight games vs tulsa history. Cincy is having trouble with Riddler - he seems very off. But he is also very capable.

I like this the best on the whole card the under in this game. Cincinnati is playing tresselball with Fickell and UC unders are cashing every single week

both defenses incredible. I know I sound like broken record but No chance it takes more than 20-23 to win this game.

So when I went to bet baseball for tonight the total was 44 so I went ahead and played the under. 45.5 would have been nice but I think anything 43.5 or above a winner. Could be lower but Id want to avoid a 20-20 game with late fg winning it beating or pushing us!!

I actually think it gonna be more like 23-17 type of cincy win.

Long as it doesn’t do to ot at 20 we be golden
I agree with every word about how this should be an under game, but I'm never taking a college under again because of the magic words in your statement--overtime.

I'd rather miss out on 100 unders--1,000 unders--than lose another one that goes to overtime.

It's not logical I know, but I'm happy knowing I'll never lose a bet to OT again

I agree with every word about how this should be an under game, but I'm never taking a college under again because of the magic words in your statement--overtime.

I'd rather miss out on 100 unders--1,000 unders--than lose another one that goes to overtime.

It's not logical I know, but I'm happy knowing I'll never lose a bet to OT again

I had one scare already this year. One my more spot on under bets in the Baylor/wvu game, 7-7 at half. 14-7 most second half. Then of course it gets tied at 14 and goes to ot with a number in the 50s (54 if memory serves me right), got all the way to the point had Baylor not got stopped in the 2nd ot I was gonna lose!!! Omg I was going crazy! I can’t recall if I have ever lost a under in ot (sure I have) but thar was close! Doesn’t scare me as much in college football, ncaa basketball you wouldn’t believe how many unders ive lost In ot!!

there no way I’ll let that slight chance deter me! It’s crazy how the world has changed, 5-10 years ago I would never bet a ncaa under and would hardly ever bet a nfl over! Now good luck trying to hit a nfl over!! Last week I had the under 49 in browns/colts and stats say that was a Easy under but a rivers pick 6 followed by Indy kick return destroyed that!! I’m bout done ever playing a Nfl under so it nice ncaa has started offering opportunities since I’ve always felt I was better sniffing out low scoring games than shootouts! Guess we all have our own little quirks!! Lol

Just took C Carolina +9x. That's a big jump from last week when this game was originally scheduled, but I don't mind the extra points

Posting on this thread because there are no Handicapper's picks yet for me to start my weekly thread.

Just took C Carolina +9x. That's a big jump from last week when this game was originally scheduled, but I don't mind the extra points

Posting on this thread because there are no Handicapper's picks yet for me to start my weekly thread.

I got +4.5 half and +7.5 game. Couldnt believe it shot up before kick but guess ppl saw thst number next to ull wnd bet them late. This why I dont trip on line moves. I see number I like and bet it. It used to drive me nuts trying to read into moves when end the day it just money moving them and I trust my capping up against any other money! Unless it something like players getting scratched late I don’t care. I prefer the cap them my way, trust my numbers and bet where I see value. Other guys can have all that offer stuff that has never effected the outcome a game imo!!

Tulsa/Cincinnati game postponed.

Too bad, I was really looking forward to this game and was a strong lean to Tulsa. I thought they were a good shot to win SU

That was a good game last night. I love to watch those Sun Belt games. Don't know why they keep giving points to C Carolina. That is a very good, very well coached team. I've made two max bets this year, both on C Carolina, got point both games, and they won both SU.

If the game gets played i‘ll be sure to bump this thread back up. Thanks everyone for the superb discussion and the great thoughts.

Are you fucjing kidding me?!???? God dammit. I got 2 tickets now with the under to close!! Plus being the sick individual I am I love defensive battles like this one promised to be!!

i suppose i can go cash these 1 teamers now?? Fuck

All the time spent on this one! My parlays going into it!! They outta just cash the under cause no way they making it to 44!!! Lol

Back