Chelsea v Liverpool, 2nd Leg

Greencastle

The Doc
Under 2

Liverpool have never scored at Stamford Bridge under Rafa and will have a difficult time doing so in the second leg against a full strength Chelsea side. I think Chelsea will do enough to advance in this one, as they are the better team, have home field advantage and have been unlucky in the past against Liverpool at this same stage.

We'll have an all English final this year, which says alot about the Premiership, but no England in the European Championships, which says alot about Steve McClaren.

I think Lampard plays, Smokedawg.

Greencastle, McClaren is a poor coach, but it's a different kind of job to being a club manager.

Anyways, I am hoping my boys go through tonight, we'll see, gonna be tough, especially after Riise netted that insane own goal.

Greencastle, McClaren is a poor coach, but it's a different kind of job to being a club manager.

Anyways, I am hoping my boys go through tonight, we'll see, gonna be tough, especially after Riise netted that insane own goal.
I still cant get over that one:hang:

Just cant bet against Gerrard in these spots........he's the best big game player in the world IMO.

GL w/ the Under.

Lamps is playing tonite.

Gerrard is a beast no doubt and Torres is unreal, but I think with Terry, Carvalho and Cech all healthy this time, it will be real tough to break them down at the Bridge.

But McClaren didn't do much at club level either.

Let's just say Chelsea go through to the final. You'll have John Terry, Rio Ferdinand, Ashley Cole, Wes Brown, Frank Lampard, Owen Hargreaves, Micheal Carrick, Joe Cole and Wayne Rooney playing in the toughest, most prestigious club final in the world, but not taking part in the European Championships.

That's a damn shame.

Anyways, we're getting a bit off topic, but it does make me upset sometimes.

Honestly guys.. what do you all think about it being an "ALL ENGLISH FINAL"?

I have mixed emotions about that...

It sort of proves that England have the talent and the players to do some big things, but its the tactics and management that are holding them back.

Hopefully Capello can take care of the latter.

See I get mixed emotions because of the "2 English teams" part. I believe that we all know it's going to be a great final, and another side of me says that these teams are stacked w/ great foreign talent....
hhhhmmmmm I'm torn... I just want to see a damn good game..

Benayoun getting a rare start for Liverpool tonite ahead of Babel, while Finnan and Hyypia have to settle for places on the bench.

Interesting stuff.

Being an English final doesn't prove anything about England's national team at all. First off, look who are the investors? Then look at the coaches. Ferguson is a Scot, Benitez is a Spaniard, Grant is Israeli.....name me at least one ENGLISH manager who has been successful?

Also, I'll tip my hat to Chelsea for having Lampard, Terry, A.Cole and J.Cole all starting for a team that is mixed with Internationals. Liverpool on the other hand are lead by Gerrard and well not too sure what Carra is feeling about national duties at this time.

This all English final does say a lot about the quality of the EPL but it still does not prove England's national team is anywhere close to quality.

Great effort by Benayoun and magnificent finish by Torres!!!:smiley_abcs:

C'mon, Liverpool!!!

Chelski won but Liverpool fans should keep their heads high. They gave a hell of a fight in the 2nd half and in extra time. Some controversial decisions by the Italian ref. also there.

This all English final does say a lot about the quality of the EPL but it still does not prove England's national team is anywhere close to quality.

Your rite man, Rio Ferdinand, John Terry, Ashley Cole, Micheal Carrick, Joe Cole, Owen Hargreaves and Wayne Rooney are all below quality.

The fact that they are all such key players for the best club teams in the world doesnt mean anything because they play alongside a few foreigners.

I'm sure no other teams would welcome these guys into their starting lineups.

When Johan Cryuff was asked to comment on England's failure to qualify for Euro 2008 he made some interesting statements.

He said that England have one of the top 10 defenders in the world in Rio Ferdinand, one of the top 10 midfielders in the world in Steven Gerrard and one of the top 10 forwards in the world in Wayne Rooney. So it's not a matter of the players not being good enough. It came down to poor goalkeeping, untimely injuries and weak tactics by the manager.

Now if you guys think you know more than Cryuff, than I feel sorry for you, but the man is rite.

Your rite man, Rio Ferdinand, John Terry, Ashley Cole, Micheal Carrick, Joe Cole, Owen Hargreaves and Wayne Rooney are all below quality.

The fact that they are all such key players for the best club teams in the world doesnt mean anything because they play alongside a few foreigners.

I'm sure no other teams would welcome these guys into their starting lineups.

Wtf? Do those guys actually make up the whole team. NOPE. You don't get it, yes it's an ALL EPL final not an ALL ENGLISH final. Key player for Utd......Ronaldo....last time i check he's Portugese. Key player for Chelsea....Drogba.....last time i checked he's from the Ivory Coast.

I think you are just bias about ENGLAND in general. Yes the quality of the EPL is there but again, England national team says nothing. If there is so much quality from English players where are they now? It is not entirely the coaches fault they have not succeeded. They just cannot play as a team.

When Johan Cryuff was asked to comment on England's failure to qualify for Euro 2008 he made some interesting statements.

He said that England have one of the top 10 defenders in the world in Rio Ferdinand, one of the top 10 midfielders in the world in Steven Gerrard and one of the top 10 forwards in the world in Wayne Rooney. So it's not a matter of the players not being good enough. It came down to poor goalkeeping, untimely injuries and weak tactics by the manager.

Now if you guys think you know more than Cryuff, than I feel sorry for you, but the man is rite.

Poor goalkeeping is true, untimely injuries is a farce because other nations have had to deal with injuries but have found players to replace them, tactics by the manager is another debate.

First off, there is no denying England has a fantastic defensive unit to select. Same goes with their midfield. As far as their attack goes, other than Wayne Rooney, who does England have? Crouch? Give me a break. England lack size upfront and that is going to be their downfall. On the run of play teams will always know, they will not cross the ball in the air. Everything is by through ball so the likes of Rooney, Owen, Defoe, Bent, Agbonlahor can get it.

Mind you this is a team sport so just because England has Rio, Gerrard, or Rooney doesn't mean they would dominate. They were left to look absolutely silly by Croatia and still have a lot too learn. At least Capello is no longer choosing players based on reputation and more so on skill.

The National team has a few problems to work out, but they do have the quality to compete at the highest level. These guys prove, week in week out, that they are amongst the best in the world.

Goalkeeping is a worry, but maybe Almunia can help out with that when he finally becomes eligible.

They did look bad against Croatia, but would that have happened if Terry, Ferdinand, and Ashley Cole were fit?

ya i am biased towards the English and Canadian National teams.

and theres nothing wrong with that, because when you follow them as closely as I do, you tend care about them.

who do you support by the way? or does that change every 2 years based on who's doing what. your from the far east, live in canada, support aston villa, were a spain fan a few years ago.......

ya i am biased towards the English and Canadian National teams.

and theres nothing wrong with that, because when you follow them as closely as I do, you tend care about them.

who do you support by the way? or does that change every 2 years based on who's doing what. your from the far east, live in canada, support aston villa, were a spain fan a few years ago.......

This statement alone signifies how much of an idiot you really are.

I bleed Claret and Blue and I have always bleed those colors for Villa. On a national scale I do support Spain, I enjoy watching them play and always had a soft spot for them.

But for you to make a comment like that not only directly hits out on me but the billions of people who support a team that had never gotten to see them. Ok so lets see, there are a few Liverpool supporters here for example Satyr and Panos. Satyr is Croatian, and Panos is Greek are you going to laugh at them because they support a club that isn't even in their region. And you can also ask those 2 which team I HAVE ALWAYS supported sine they knew me. You on the other hand don't seem to take too much pride about a team like Coventry. Oh wait they seem to be mingling around the bottom in the Championship oh dear...perhaps that is a reason why you don't talk much about them.

Jeeze buddy before lashing out on someone for who they support perhaps think about how badly you generalize your statements.

So just because I was raised in Singapore, does not mean I cannot be a fan of Aston Villa. I am a fan of Football and probably more of a fan of it then you. I try to follow different countries as much as I can so it broadens my perspective about the game.....maybe you should start doing that as well, considering you have seemed to always talked so much shit about the Greek leagues and Eastern Europe.

The National team has a few problems to work out, but they do have the quality to compete at the highest level. These guys prove, week in week out, that they are amongst the best in the world.

Goalkeeping is a worry, but maybe Almunia can help out with that when he finally becomes eligible.

They did look bad against Croatia, but would that have happened if Terry, Ferdinand, and Ashley Cole were fit?

Throughout their qualification games.....which team did England actually looked decent in?

Oh funny you talk about being so nationalistic yet you are talking about a SPANIARD to solve the goalkeeping woes.....

mike you got problems controlling your anger man.

dont take this shit too seriously man, your gonna fuck up your health getting all worked up over a conversation about national teams.

nobodies lashing out, or insulting you.

mike you got problems controlling your anger man.

dont take this shit too seriously man, your gonna fuck up your health getting all worked up over a conversation about national teams.

nobodies lashing out, or insulting you.

Just look at his Avatar.... :tiphat: (JK)

Every big national team "has the quality to compete on the highest level".

Argentina
Spain
England
Germany
Italy
Brazil
Netherlands

etc

Yet only a couple of them consistently do something, mainly Germany, Italy and Brazil. Others are perennial underachievers, and they are ones for a reason.

England not making the EC is a HUGE blow. It's not even funny any more, it's just tragic. Regardless of the fact England has a talented team, plenty of big names, they are not playing team football.

Too much improvisation, they are not a football force right now. They do have the potential to be, but they're not, at the moment.

Back