Charlotte vs. Atlanta Parlay Preview Article

VirginiaCavs

CTG Super Moderator
Staff member
Top NBA Play-In Tournament Parlay Picks for April 13

Charlotte Hornets vs. Atlanta Hawks
Wednesday, April 13, 2022 at 7 p.m. ET (ESPN) at State Farm Arena in Atlanta

Charlotte's Situation

The Hornets are playing well at just the right time. They are currently enjoying 3-0 SU and ATS runs.

I like the situation in which Charlotte finds itself today because of what happened last year.

Last year, too, Charlotte made the play-in tournament. At that time, it was a team that was clearly not ready for the big moment, for the playoff-level atmosphere.

It did not take long to figure out who was going to win that game: Charlotte played Indiana and the Pacers won with a ridiculous score line.

The Hornets gave up 144 points and lost 144-117. They fell into a 16-point deficit in the first quarter from which they never could recover.

I think that they will use last year's catastrophe as motivation. They will come out ready, having been in this same situation last year, and they will have an extra chip on their shoulder as they want to make up for last year's embarrassment.

Hornet Threes

The Hornets love to shoot threes more than almost any other team -- they rank sixth in three-pointers attempted per game.

In particular, Kelly Oubre Jr., LaMelo Ball, and Terry Rozier are high-volume shooters.

Rozier, for example, can create his own shot. His solid handle helps him in this respect.

He'll act like he's about to attack the basket before he steps back and attempts a three-pointer with a lot of space in front of him. Other times, he will act as if he'll shoot before attacking the basket.

By controlling his feet better than opposing defenders who don't know what he'll do, he manipulates defenders in order to make shot attempts easier for himself.

Rozier is also an efficient shooter, though Ball is more efficient at 38.9 percent.

There are other guys as well, big men who can stretch the floor.

Atlanta's Perimeter Defense

Given Charlotte's relatively strong proclivity to attempt three-pointers, it's important to know how strong or weak Atlanta's perimeter defense is.

One reason why I don't like the Hawk perimeter defense is that it allows the ninth-highest frequency of open three-point attempts.

Charlotte, with its variety of weapons and its floor-spacing, can take advantage of Atlanta's consistently vulnerable perimeter defense.

Transition

The Hornets are also characteristically strong in transition. Plenty of their three-pointers will come via transition, but they'll also attack the basket with rim-attackers like Miles Bridges.

At point guard, Ball is a great maestro in transition with his court vision. He's gladly one to initiate Charlotte's transition offense while his teammates understand how to space themselves when they arrive in the opponent's half-court.

The Hornet offense can be, in this respect as well, successful against Atlanta's defense because the Hawks allow the most PPP (points per possession) in transition.

Atlanta's Ball-Screen Game

The Hawks are most well-known for their ball-screen game featuring star point guard Trae Young.

Young will use a screen to slither his way to the basket where he'll pull up or throw one of his famous lobs to a big teammate at the basket..

He'll also on occasion reject the ball-screen and his ball-screen rejection precipitates different expressions of creativity.

Of course, he can always simply step back and show off his spectacular shooting range.

Hornet Ball-Screen Defense

Given how big a part the pick-and-roll for the ball-handler play type is in Atlanta's offense -- the Hawks run this play type with the second-highest frequency -- it is crucial to understand how effective Charlotte will be at defending it.

I don't like the Hornet defense because it allows the fourth-most PPP against this play type.

Atlanta will do what it wants offensively.

The Verdict

I think Charlotte will win because it has more ways to beat Atlanta.

Conversely, the Hawks are going to be too reliant on Trae Young.

Both defenses will generally be vulnerable to the opposing offensive impetus, which means that a lot of points will be scored.

I do like the Hornet offense more than Atlanta's in this matchup, though.

Best Bet: Parlay Hornets +5 at -110 & Over 236 at -110 at +264 odds with BetOnline

Back