Chargers/Steelers Discussion

C-MAN

Pretty much a regular
There are a couple of threads with good discussion of the Philly/NYG game. Let's get some discussion going on this game. This is the more important game to me since I will be in the house. Being a lifelong Steelers fan, I am wary of their performance at home in the playoffs in recent years. Remember, when the Steelers won it all in '06, they won all 3 playoff games (and then obviously the SB) on the road. I have been to just about every home playoff game they lost in the past 15 years, including the Jacksonville game last year. I have a strong feeling the Steelers win tomorrow and will start typing up thoughts - just wanted to get this thread started. Thoughts people???

I like the Chargers ML. I think they are peaking right now and have a solid defense. I think they will pressure Ben out of the pocket and force him to make mistakes. The offense even without LT is fine, Sproles is capable..Rivers made the plays when they counted last week, I look for the same tomorrow. Have fun at the game bro.

The first game at the same venue produced 21 points. All the talk is the field is shit for scoring. The weather looks to be bad. The playoffs have hosted 5 unders in 6 games.

It'll go Over for sure.

I'm on the other side, of Hunt anyway.

I like Pittsburgh tomorrow. Generally two of the teams who got the rest benefit from it and the other two can't find their rhythm. At best one home team looked good today, Tenny, and they still lost.

I think Pittsburgh is in a good position to look good tomorrow. They had to put an extra emphasis on staying sharp in practice simply because of Ben's concussion. I just have a good feeling about how they show up and the Chargers have been running so hot for so many weeks I think it'll be tough to take it on the road.

That's just me, though.

1. Defense. The Steelers have the best defense in the league this year, and probably the best defense we have seen in Pittsburgh since the mid '90s.

Yds/Game Rush Pass
Pittsburgh 237.3 80.2 157.1

In the first meeting this season, the Steelers held the Chargers offense (with LT and Gates healthy) to 10 points and got steady pressure on Rivers all game. Rivers had the top QB rating of any QB in the league this year, yet he had his worst game of the year against the Steelers defense. The Chargers will be playing in similar weather conditions as the first game without LT and with Gates banged up. The Steelers defense is healthy, rested and ready to go.

2. I have seen many people backing SD because of Ben's "concussion" and the theory that QB's usually struggle in their first game back after suffering a concussion. I agree with fading QB's after suffering a concussion, however, some of you have seen in past threads that I believe Ben's concussion was somewhat of a fabrication. A day or two after the game when Ben was carted off the field, they were already calling his injury "mild" in the newspapers. Ben is fine and if he plays poorly tomorrow, it will have nothing to do with the mild concussion.

3. Here are the stats from the first meeting:

Team Stats

<TABLE class=data cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=2><TBODY><TR><TD class=datahead></TD><TD class=datahead>Chargers</TD><TD class=datahead>Steelers</TD></TR><TR><TD class=datacell>First downs</TD><TD class=datacell>16</TD><TD class=datacell>24</TD></TR><TR><TD class=datacell>Rushes-Yards</TD><TD class=datacell>22-66</TD><TD class=datacell>28-124</TD></TR><TR><TD class=datacell>Passing Yards</TD><TD class=datacell>147</TD><TD class=datacell>286</TD></TR><TR><TD class=datacell>Sacked-Yards lost</TD><TD class=datacell>2-12</TD><TD class=datacell>4-22</TD></TR><TR><TD class=datacell>Return Yardage</TD><TD class=datacell>28</TD><TD class=datacell>105</TD></TR><TR><TD class=datacell>Passing</TD><TD class=datacell>15-26-2</TD><TD class=datacell>31-41-0</TD></TR><TR><TD class=datacell>Punts-Average</TD><TD class=datacell>2-43.5</TD><TD class=datacell>4-31.0</TD></TR><TR><TD class=datacell>Fumbles-Lost</TD><TD class=datacell>1-0</TD><TD class=datacell>0-0</TD></TR><TR><TD class=datacell>Penalties-Yards</TD><TD class=datacell>2-5</TD><TD class=datacell>13-115</TD></TR><TR><TD class=datacell>Field Goals</TD><TD class=datacell>1-2</TD><TD class=datacell>3-4</TD></TR><TR><TD class=datacell>Red Zone Efficiency</TD><TD class=datacell>1-3-33% </TD><TD class=datacell>0-3-0% </TD></TR><TR><TD class=datacell>Goal To Go Efficiency</TD><TD class=datacell>1-2-50% </TD><TD class=datacell>0-3-0% </TD></TR><TR><TD class=datacell>Time of Possession</TD><TD class=datacell>23 : 29</TD><TD class=datacell>36 : 31</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

To steal from a thread I read earlier, this was one of the most lopsided 1-point games in the history of football. The Steelers outgained SD about 2-1 and dominated the TOP. I doubt SD gets the same advantage in penalties this game.

one can argue the same about today's game Titans domination on paper, pro teams make adjustments and often the opposite occurs:

Team Stats

<TABLE class=data cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=2><TBODY><TR><TD class=datahead> </TD><TD class=datahead>Ravens</TD><TD class=datahead>Titans</TD></TR><TR><TD class=datacell>First downs</TD><TD class=datacell>9</TD><TD class=datacell>21</TD></TR><TR><TD class=datacell>Rushes-Yards</TD><TD class=datacell>30-50</TD><TD class=datacell>28-116</TD></TR><TR><TD class=datacell>Passing Yards</TD><TD class=datacell>161</TD><TD class=datacell>275</TD></TR><TR><TD class=datacell>Sacked-Yards lost</TD><TD class=datacell>0-0</TD><TD class=datacell>1-6</TD></TR><TR><TD class=datacell>Return Yardage</TD><TD class=datacell>47</TD><TD class=datacell>112</TD></TR><TR><TD class=datacell>Passing</TD><TD class=datacell>11-22-0</TD><TD class=datacell>26-42-1</TD></TR><TR><TD class=datacell>Punts-Average</TD><TD class=datacell>8-42.8</TD><TD class=datacell>4-53.3</TD></TR><TR><TD class=datacell>Fumbles-Lost</TD><TD class=datacell>0-0</TD><TD class=datacell>5-2</TD></TR><TR><TD class=datacell>Penalties-Yards</TD><TD class=datacell>8-40</TD><TD class=datacell>12-89</TD></TR><TR><TD class=datacell>Field Goals</TD><TD class=datacell>2-2</TD><TD class=datacell>1-2</TD></TR><TR><TD class=datacell>Red Zone Efficiency</TD><TD class=datacell>0-1-0% </TD><TD class=datacell>1-3-33% </TD></TR><TR><TD class=datacell>Goal To Go Efficiency</TD><TD class=datacell>0-1-0% </TD><TD class=datacell>1-1-100% </TD></TR><TR><TD class=datacell>Time of Possession</TD><TD class=datacell>25 : 53 </TD><TD class=datacell>34 : 07</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

4. Strength of Schedule. The Steelers played one of the tougest schedules in the history of the NFL this season and finished 12-4, losing only to the Giants (injury to long snapper lead to bad snap and safety in the 4th q - Steelers led most of the game), at Tennessee (arguably best team in the league this year in a game which meant more to Tenn than Pgh - Ben fumbled like 5 times), Indy (another game where the Steelers led most of the game, but credit to Peyton for leading his team on a game winning drive late in the 4th q) and at Philly (this game was an all around shitfest, but it was early in the season and Pgh was just 1 drive away until late in the 4Q). The Steelers played 7 games against playoff teams (going 3-4 in those games) while the Chargers were 0-4 against playoffs teams during the regular season.

5. Karma. OK, I couldn't help it. We already saw when SD played Denver in week 17 that these things have a tendency to come full circle in the NFL. SD was screwed b/c of a bad call in the first game against Denver and they got their revenge. I know Pgh won the first game, so the motivation is not the same, but for us bettors it is. The NFL owes us Pittsburgh backers a cover to make up for that bullshit call at the end of the first meeting.

6. FG Kicking. Heinz field is one of the toughest stadiums in the league for FG kickers. The turf is brutal and kickers frequently complain about it. Forget about trying to kick towards the open end of the stadium. Jeff Reed is one of the best in the league, and probably the best at Heinz Field. Kaeding is shaky at best, has a history of choking in the playoffs and is injured - good luck tomorrow Nate.

Rivers was hit just once in the first game.

There was a 14 mph crosswind.

Both teams were horrid in redzone and goal to go situations. Heath Miller didn't play for Pitt.

7. Coaching. I know Tomlin is young and inexperienced, but this game is very important to him and his tenure with the Steelers organization. Tomlin really wants to improve upon last season - and losing in the first round of the playoffs at home two years in a row to start off his coaching career is not an option. Norv, come on buddy, do what you do best. There is a reason this guy has a reputation for not being able to win the big games.

I have seen all of this emphasis on Ben's concussion and his performance the week after.....but Ben has had an extra week to rest. I feel like the concussion is being blown out of proportion....

The yardage factor in the first matchup played out to be pretty close when you factor in the 110 yard disparity in penalties and about a 60 yard disparity in punting and starting field position. Ernster was the Steeler kicker at the time, Berger is there now, but its still a large mismatch in favor of San Diego. Have to assume penalties will be more even this time around. Will turnovers balance out as well? Ben's head is still a worry. He threw 7 picks in the first two games after the concussion against Atlanta in 2006.

Like the Steelers to pull it out, but giving 6 or 7 is a tough sell. Tomlin does not coach aggressively, so if the defense isn't producing free points and great spots for the offense its gonna to tough to establish a big lead.

4. Strength of Schedule. The Steelers played one of the tougest schedules in the history of the NFL this season and finished 12-4, losing only to the Giants (injury to long snapper lead to bad snap and safety in the 4th q - Steelers led most of the game), at Tennessee (arguably best team in the league this year in a game which meant more to Tenn than Pgh - Ben fumbled like 5 times), Indy (another game where the Steelers led most of the game, but credit to Peyton for leading his team on a game winning drive late in the 4th q) and at Philly (this game was an all around shitfest, but it was early in the season and Pgh was just 1 drive away until late in the 4Q). The Steelers played 7 games against playoff teams (going 3-4 in those games) while the Chargers were 0-4 against playoffs teams during the regular season.

no doubt they had a much higher sos than the chargers...i'm not arguing that at all. but toughest schedules in the history of the nfl? i know they were ranked #1 in sos, but anytime where you have the bengals and browns twice and the texans at home on the schedule, that's not even close to the toughest schedule in the nfl imo. i think that nfc east is one of the most overrated divisions i've ever seen. also don't agree with the statement that that tenn game meant more to tenn. and the tough part of the schedule they didn't even do that well against. they also played the really tough part of their schedule late in the year when they were healthy and playing their best, which makes a difference (ask indy). as you pointed out they had a losing record to playoff teams, beating only 2 teams (the ravens twice, which is impressive, but they both could have easily went the other way) and this, well, NOT this chargers team by 1...this is a different chargers team imo throbbing with confidence after winning 5 straight games and having played this team so tough in the first game---i realize how the boxscore looks, but bottom line they had a chance to win the game late. that is going to give you confidence againsta team that you're playing for the second time. i think there were 3 of those games later in the schedule that they looked like they could lose and came back and won in the 4th quarter. sos BETWEEN these two teams---not even close in favor of pitt, but i think this has been a little overblown on the boards. overall, the body of work for pitt isn't as good as it seems imo---but not many playoff teams' resumes do look good to me this year to be honest. steelers were my pick to go to the super bowl, but i don't think they wanted to play this charger team again. my .02...gl fellas.

Joe - going into the Tennessee game there was local talk, even from players, about them not really needing that game. It was like the Steelers exhaled when they clinched the division in Baltimore. Tennessee had a claim to that #1 seed in the AFC all season long and all I was trying to say is that it meant more to Tennessee to get the top seed than it did to Pittsburgh. It showed on the field as well as that was probably the most motivated the Titans played since Thanksgiving.

Section 106 - It is gonna be cold today. Once the sun goes down, the temp drops significantly in Heinz Field and you catch the extra breeze from the water.

thanks thats exactly what i was looking for..........relaiable weather report:cheers:

good luck on your steelers:cheers:

Back