Championship Week Writeups and Hopefully Feedback

Br@ssknux

Pretty much a regular
The slide continued last week as I staggered to a 9-11-1 slate to finish the regular season(for all intents and purposes) at 94-86 with a few pushes. Honestly, some irregular things happened to result in that performance, but that kind of thing happens every week, so what can you say?

*****As for this week, hillariously, I wrote up the two games from tonight this afternoon, (listed below) but apparently did not hit enter, as they were sitting here on my screen as I sat down to write tomorrow's games up. Naturally, they were two of the better calls I've made all year, so I'll not delete them since I need to remind myself I occasionally get some right. At least I'll probably cash tickets on them. Again, these are late, so they are here only for posterity and my own selfish reasons.

1. @UTSA +3.5 v Western Kentucky
: WKU came up big for me last week, and they've been good all year, but I really think we are getting ahead of ourselves by writing off UTSA in this spot after the year they had. I actually liked North Texas against the Roadrunners last week because it was a horrendous spot after their massive comeback against UAB the week before, but from a technical standpoint I couldn't make a case for the Mean Green so I sat it out. They had their worst game of the year while WKU was taking care of Marshall, who by the way can't cover a game at home to save their lives. So we are just to expect that the same thing will happen this week, right? Don't forget that although they gave up 600+ to WKU in Bowling Green earlier this year, the Roadrunners won that game anyway, dropping 52 points and 570 yards themselves. They also have this game at home, and the Alamodome is a distinct home field advantage for them, as they've drawn 35k plus in recent weeks and San Antonio has adopted them as their home team. Now that the line has gotten to 3.5, I think there's value in this line, especially since the Roadrunners are much more likely to resemble the team that was 11-0 rather than the one that showed up in Denton last week.

2. Utah -2 v Oregon: Anyone who watched the first matchup between these two knows that the result of that game was due to much more than it being a good night for Utah and a bad night for Oregon. It was a physical mauling, and a complete humiliation for Oregon. The fact that it happened only 3 weeks ago makes me wonder why the difference in the line is only about 5-6 points., considering we went from a Utah home game to a neutral field. Has something drastically changed fo either team? If anything, Oregon has even less to play for, since they are eliminated from the playoff picture. I guess a Rose Bowl berth, but the Ducks have done that plenty of times recently. Utah still doesn't jump off the page statistically in the pass game, but they have been very potent in big games since Cam Rising took over, and they definitely were effective against the Ducks last time. Also, Oregon's 3rd down defense has fallen to 118th in the country, so they'll continue to have trouble getting off the field against an efficient offense like Utah. To to it off the line has been moving against Oregon all day. It would be foolish to go against Utah in this spot. The only way I can see doing is if you're just trying to be a contrarian, and most of the pundits I've seen are on the Ducks, so you're not even doing that.

***************************************************************************************************

The real 1. Kent State -3.5 v Northern Illinois: This was a wild game the first time these two teams teed it up with Kent getting a 52-47 win in a game that saw both teams go over 600 yards of total offense. Both offenses are pretty solid but both defenses are putrid, ranking exclusively in the 110+ range in just about every category. Ultimately though, I think Kent is a more legit squad. Offensively, NIU ranks only 73rd in yards per pass attempt, and we all know Rocky Lombardi doesn't have anyone confusing him with Drew Brees. Their actual bread and butter is running the ball, but in that game, they couldn't run it and flukishly, Lombardi and WR Trayvon Rudolph hooked up for almost 400 yards passing in that game(!!), which accounted for almost half of Rudolph's production on the year. Meanwhile, Kent ran it at more than 8 yards a clip and Dustin Crum torched them through the air as well. I don't see NIU stopping Kent here, and I don't see a repeat from Lombardi and Rudolph either. I think Kent proves they're the better team this time, and even with that outlier performance from Lombardi last time, the Huskies still lost by more than this line.

Last edited:
2. @Cincinnati -10.5 v Houston: I can see people betting on Cincinnati's opponent here, since there is so much pressure on the Bearcats to get this one done because it seems as though it will allow them to punch their ticket to the CFP. However, although Houston has had a nice year, they do not seem like the team that has the wherewithal, both with their top players (QB Clayton Tune) and their coaching staff (the unreliable Dana Holgerson). Th Cougars are 11-1, but who have they beaten? Other than SMU, who was leaking oil down the stretch and whom they snuck past in overtime, the answer to that is exactly nobody ranked higher than about 70th in anybody's power rankings. Although Cincy sleepwalked through the uninteresting parts of their schedule, when challenged, they responded, and there's nothing in Luke Fickell's track record that suggests he will not have the Bearcats ready to give their best effort of the season. Offensively, this is the best team Houston has faced with only SMU being in their league, and the Cougs surrendered 305 through the air in that one. There's no way Clayton Tune will have success against this Cincy pass defense(2nd in the country in yards per attempt against,), and Houston hasn't run the ball well against even the weaker defenses in the American, so it's Clayton Tune or bust for the Cougars. It'll be a great atmosphere at Nippert stadium...I think the Bearcats roll, and hold up their end of the bargain.

3. Alabama +7(-120) v Georgia: This more of an emotional hedge because I really want to see Georgia blow the Crimson Tide off the field and end any charade indicating that Bama deserves to be in the playoff. However, given all the history, and what Alabama under Saban has proven over the years, this seems far fetched doesn't it? Admittedly, I can write three paragraphs on why Bama has no business being ranked 3rd...I mean Texas A&M went 2-4 against the SEC West, meaning they couldn't handle Mississippi State, Ole MIss, LSU and Arkansas, but they COULD handle Bama. If not for Auburn begging Alabama to take that game from them, Bama would have lost to a 6-6 Auburn team who was playing with their backup QB hobbling around on one leg. So no, this is not a vintage Alabama team, and we know this is a great Georgia team both defensively and offensively. But even after saying all of that, how can anyone pass up on taking a touchdown with Alabama here? Georgia's defense is awesome, and we just saw Alabama play their worst game of the year offensively, but they are still 13th overall in yards per play, 6th in yards per pass attempt, 1st in 3rd down conversions, and Bryce Young leads the nation in passing efficiency. My guess is that the things that keep Steston Bennett from being an NFL prospect show up this week against the Bama defense. Bama is also probably the only team Georgia will see that can match them talent wise, and I don't care how much Kirby Smart has come along, he will never have anything close to a coaching advantage against Nick Saban. It would be foolish to exhibit recency bias and think Alabama will not bounce back with a strong performance, and I think it's asking a ton of Georgia to come out and dominate Alabama when the outcome of this came doesn't have any effect on whether or not they go to the playoff...they are in regardless while Alabama is playing for their lives with everything riding on this game. They also have the rare chance to play the "disrespect" card as they are as significant an underdog as they've been since Saban's 2nd year in Tuscaloosa. If you're telling me I'm getting a fully healthy Alabama team with the top rated QB in the country with the motivational edge and 7 points, I think I'd be extremely unwise to not take it.

The slide continued last week as I staggered to a 9-11-1 slate to finish the regular season(for all intents and purposes) at 94-86 with a few pushes. Honestly, some irregular things happened to result in that performance, but that kind of thing happens every week, so what can you say?

*****As for this week, hillariously, I wrote up the two games from tonight this afternoon, (listed below) but apparently did not hit enter, as they were sitting here on my screen as I sat down to write tomorrow's games up. Naturally, they were two of the better calls I've made all year, so I'll not delete them since I need to remind myself I occasionally get some right. At least I'll probably cash tickets on them. Again, these are late, so they are here only for posterity and my own selfish reasons.

1. @UTSA +3.5 v Western Kentucky
: WKU came up big for me last week, and they've been good all year, but I really think we are getting ahead of ourselves by writing off UTSA in this spot after the year they had. I actually liked North Texas against the Roadrunners last week because it was a horrendous spot after their massive comeback against UAB the week before, but from a technical standpoint I couldn't make a case for the Mean Green so I sat it out. They had their worst game of the year while WKU was taking care of Marshall, who by the way can't cover a game at home to save their lives. So we are just to expect that the same thing will happen this week, right? Don't forget that although they gave up 600+ to WKU in Bowling Green earlier this year, the Roadrunners won that game anyway, dropping 52 points and 570 yards themselves. They also have this game at home, and the Alamodome is a distinct home field advantage for them, as they've drawn 35k plus in recent weeks and San Antonio has adopted them as their home team. Now that the line has gotten to 3.5, I think there's value in this line, especially since the Roadrunners are much more likely to resemble the team that was 11-0 rather than the one that showed up in Denton last week.

2. Utah -2 v Oregon: Anyone who watched the first matchup between these two knows that the result of that game was due to much more than it being a good night for Utah and a bad night for Oregon. It was a physical mauling, and a complete humiliation for Oregon. The fact that it happened only 3 weeks ago makes me wonder why the difference in the line is only about 5-6 points., considering we went from a Utah home game to a neutral field. Has something drastically changed fo either team? If anything, Oregon has even less to play for, since they are eliminated from the playoff picture. I guess a Rose Bowl berth, but the Ducks have done that plenty of times recently. Utah still doesn't jump off the page statistically in the pass game, but they have been very potent in big games since Cam Rising took over, and they definitely were effective against the Ducks last time. Also, Oregon's 3rd down defense has fallen to 118th in the country, so they'll continue to have trouble getting off the field against an efficient offense like Utah. To to it off the line has been moving against Oregon all day. It would be foolish to go against Utah in this spot. The only way I can see doing is if you're just trying to be a contrarian, and most of the pundits I've seen are on the Ducks, so you're not even doing that.

***************************************************************************************************

The real 1. Kent State -3.5 v Northern Illinois: This was a wild game the first time these two teams teed it up with Kent getting a 52-47 win in a game that saw both teams go over 600 yards of total offense. Both offenses are pretty solid but both defenses are putrid, ranking exclusively in the 110+ range in just about every category. Ultimately though, I think Kent is a more legit squad. Offensively, NIU ranks only 73rd in yards per pass attempt, and we all know Rocky Lombardi doesn't have anyone confusing him with Drew Brees. Their actual bread and butter is running the ball, but in that game, they couldn't run it and flukishly, Lombardi and WR Trayvon Rudolph hooked up for almost 400 yards passing in that game(!!), which accounted for almost half of Rudolph's production on the year. Meanwhile, Kent ran it at more than 8 yards a clip and Dustin Crum torched them through the air as well. I don't see NIU stopping Kent here, and I don't see a repeat from Lombardi and Rudolph either. I think Kent proves they're the better team this time, and even with that outlier performance from Lombardi last time, the Huskies still lost by more than this line.
2-0 and they count

Just to make sure I haven't gone completely insane, I am going to completely avoid placing any kind of wager or making any indication whatsoever of an opinion on any football game involving Wake Forest University.

4. Iowa +11.5 v Michigan: Hats off to Harbaugh and Michigan as they got the Mouse off their back last week, and I was definitely on the wrong side of that one. I won't apologize for it either, because in my opinion, I wasn't going to believe it until I saw it, and had Ohio State done what they always do AGAIN and handled Michigan, how dumb would I feel for betting against it? Make no mistake though, the game wasn't even as close as the final score indicated, as Michigan dominated that game every which way but loose. But I have to ask: what would the spread of that game have been if Iowa was the opponent? Michigan -5, maybe 6? Now, based on one week's results, that line would move effectively 9 or 10 points? We can't forget that Iowa also has a great defense and that this Hawkeye team sits at 10-2 and was ranked #2 in the country only 6 weeks ago. They've also not given up more than 24 points in something like 32 straight games, and Michigan's offense, while completely dominant against an inferior defense(to Iowa's) like Ohio State, does not have the MO to explode against a rock solid defense. Also, there is no way on God's Green Earth that Michigan can duplicate that performance from last week. They are still playing for everything, but they have a ton of pressure on them to deliver a playoff berth, and Iowa has nothing to lose. I would be surprised if Iowa pulls this off outright, but the last two times they've been bigger undogs than 11.5 points, were in 2017 when they blew out Ohio State as an 18.5 point dog (55-24) and in 2016 when hey beat Michigan outright as a 21 point dog (14-13). It's asking a lot in my opinion for Michigan to come out and run the Hawkeyes out of the stadium. Their offense is in an extreme disadvantage against the Michigan defense but that's the case in just about every game, and the Hawkeyes usually find a way to be competitive.

Just to make sure I haven't gone completely insane, I am going to completely avoid placing any kind of wager or making any indication whatsoever of an opinion on any football game involving Wake Forest University.

pitt and their team total over just in case wake somehow pulls out a shootout the team total will cash still!

Go get 'em, Brass. Good start for you, and wishing you a strong finish to the season here this week..

Great work posting these all year (and every year). Always interesting to get your takes, and the run you had in the first couple months this year was really fun to track.

Go get 'em, Brass. Good start for you, and wishing you a strong finish to the season here this week..

Great work posting these all year (and every year). Always interesting to get your takes, and the run you had in the first couple months this year was really fun to track.
Thanks for the kind words RoadDog. :shake:

Great write ups as always.

On sgu already. Tempted by Bama but might go under there.

Someone please explain why ULL is +3? What am I missing?

no clue, im pretty terrible at these rematches so i totally ignored it. there was a time i was starting to talk myself into playing the under but kept getting the feeling that was wrong!!

5. @La-Lafayette +2.5 v Appalachian State: Like many others, this line perplexed me, and I'm looking at it in a similar fashion to how I looked at Utah/Oregon. What has changed since the first time these two teams matched up (on this field no less) when La La not only beat Appy State, but pounded the living shit out of them? I know that Billy Napier took the Florida job, but he's coaching this game, and it might actually be an emotional jolt for the Cajuns as he was beloved by the players. Other than that, I can't make a logical case as to what would be different this time around. There's been no drop-off for the Cajuns, and that was driven home when they beat Liberty by 28 points only 2 weeks ago. They're 11-1. I don't put much stock in the revenge angle when we're talking about getting revenge on a team that physically dominated the loser the first time. I saw a stat somewhere that in these revenge scenarios, when the "revenging" team is lookin for revenge against a team with an .850 or better winning percentage, they're something like 3-20 straight up. It makes sense...it's hard to get revenge against a great team. I'm not calling LaLa a "great team" but they ARE 11-1, and they outgained Appy State 455-211 the last time, and the reasons Appy couldn't get out of their own way(Chase Brice, Chase Brice and Chase Brice) are still relevant here. If some cosmic reason for this spread emerges during the game, I guess I'll take my medicine, but from my perspective, there's no logical case to be made for Appy other than looking at stats they piled up against teams not in LaLa's league.

One other thing I would mention. I am not playing the Big 12 game, but I've noticed that game has gotten up to +7 on the news that Gerry Bohanon isn't playing, and it might continue to go up. If it gets to more than a TD, it's significant value on Baylor in my opinion.. Just a few points on that"

-Oklahoma State is under tremendous pressure to win this, which would(probably) get them to heights they have never seen before in a year that nobody figured they would contend at the beginning of the year.
-Backup QB Blake Shapen is pretty good. He actually elevated their offense in the Kansas State game and did fine against TT. Obviously a whole different animal against Okie State's D, but the point is, he's not a big drop off from Bohanon.

-The Baylor staff has proven to be well above average and Aranda will probably get a high level performance out of Baylor. If Oklahoma State wins easily, it will be because they played their best game as well.

One other thing I would mention. I am not playing the Big 12 game, but I've noticed that game has gotten up to +7 on the news that Gerry Bohanon isn't playing, and it might continue to go up. If it gets to more than a TD, it's significant value on Baylor in my opinion.. Just a few points on that"

-Oklahoma State is under tremendous pressure to win this, which would(probably) get them to heights they have never seen before in a year that nobody figured they would contend at the beginning of the year.
-Backup QB Blake Shapen is pretty good. He actually elevated their offense in the Kansas State game and did fine against TT. Obviously a whole different animal against Okie State's D, but the point is, he's not a big drop off from Bohanon.

-The Baylor staff has proven to be well above average and Aranda will probably get a high level performance out of Baylor. If Oklahoma State wins easily, it will be because they played their best game as well.

i think it worse for bears qb that he played in those games cause it gave cowboys film on him,.. i suck capping bears but im on okie lite ml and sanders over 208.5 passing yards. there def pressure on okie lite but id say conf championship game for a qb with one start prob a lot of pressure as well. i certainly dont think it be easy, 7 a lot for a total this low in what should be a defensive type game. line def getting out of wack, i didnt think hurt Bohannen be any better than this other kid so little crazy it keeps going up now. no question where the value lies.

Nice call.

5. @La-Lafayette +2.5 v Appalachian State: Like many others, this line perplexed me, and I'm looking at it in a similar fashion to how I looked at Utah/Oregon. What has changed since the first time these two teams matched up (on this field no less) when La La not only beat Appy State, but pounded the living shit out of them? I know that Billy Napier took the Florida job, but he's coaching this game, and it might actually be an emotional jolt for the Cajuns as he was beloved by the players. Other than that, I can't make a logical case as to what would be different this time around. There's been no drop-off for the Cajuns, and that was driven home when they beat Liberty by 28 points only 2 weeks ago. They're 11-1. I don't put much stock in the revenge angle when we're talking about getting revenge on a team that physically dominated the loser the first time. I saw a stat somewhere that in these revenge scenarios, when the "revenging" team is lookin for revenge against a team with an .850 or better winning percentage, they're something like 3-20 straight up. It makes sense...it's hard to get revenge against a great team. I'm not calling LaLa a "great team" but they ARE 11-1, and they outgained Appy State 455-211 the last time, and the reasons Appy couldn't get out of their own way(Chase Brice, Chase Brice and Chase Brice) are still relevant here. If some cosmic reason for this spread emerges during the game, I guess I'll take my medicine, but from my perspective, there's no logical case to be made for Appy other than looking at stats they piled up against teams not in LaLa's league.
Yes sirr

Back