Championship plays

Joe Public

Gabibbo's Finest
All right, fine, I'll bite.

Last Sunday I said that there's no way I can bet against Baltimore from here on out—which is probably only one more game, but it's true.

Not only that, looking at the board I feel I have to bet them this weekend and here's why.

In the NFL there are some teams that just match up well with other teams. The easiest example is the Giants vs. the Pats. They've proven over the last few years that this matchup is essentially a three point game. It's just the way they play each other, or perhaps more specifically, how the Giants play NE's offense.

Baltimore vs. NE is another one of these matchups. Baltimore knows how to defense NE. These two teams play each other tight. Their past meetings have proven it. To me this a three point game, seven at best—you know, barring turnovers, etc.

So I'm betting the Ravens. Now, had they set this line where I think it should be (-6.5/7), I might have laid off. (You can't make this game less than Pats -4 based on the Broncos/Ravens line last week. You'd get buried with NE money. You'd still get a ton at 6.5, but I think it would even out at 7. So maybe I'm a sucker who takes what I find an inflated line, but I think it's off by two points here.)

What I don't like for the Ravens are the same things I didn't like last week. Their defense is simply old. It's a step slower than it was in the past and good QBs should eat them up. In fact, I would argue that but for Peyton Manning being the Peyton Manning we're all so used to in the playoffs, he kind of did eat them up. Especially in the first half.

However, two things balance this out to put me on Baltimore. First, the Ravens get an extra day of rest this week. So the exhaustion from these last two games should be tempered somewhat. Second, and more importantly, no Gronk for the Pats. To me this is huge, and I'm a fan of Aaron Hernandez.

But I think what Gronk does as far as really stretching you out on D could have been what breaks the Ravens' tired old backs. Without him I think they're in this game.

Then all the emotional nonsense, Jesus is now a Ravens fan, Billy Cundiff is selling insurance, blah blah blah.

Ravens +8.5 - 1 unit
Ravens ML - .5 unit

I'm also going to tease the Falcons game. I have trouble seeing Atlanta get blown out at home, especially after they will spend this week hearing about how they suck and don't deserve to even be in this game. I actually see this game being close pretty much the whole way through.

Additionally, I have trouble seeing these teams stay under 20 each. Kap's going to get his. He's good for at least 14 in my book which makes them as a team feel like 20 is very attainable. Thus, given that I see SF getting into the endzone at least twice, I think Atlanta is forced to be less conservative than normal. And obviously if Atlanta gets down they're not going to just lay down, they'll ask Ryan to throw them back into the game.

I'm going with 24-23 Niners or 23-20 Falcons, ergo:

Ravens +14.5/Falcons +10/Falcons & Niners over 43 - .5 unit

Good luck this weekend everyone.

Muchas gracias, my fine finned friend. They've been weird. The Donks' ML screwed me last week and as I've said before there's generally one team in the playoffs that I misread completely. I thought that might be Seattle, but last week suggests it's B'more.

I still stand by my statement that they're inconsistent and old on defense, but it's really hard to step back from that team and not see one of those inspired playoff performances where everybody comes together for a kind of magical run.

That combined with the conspiracy theory of an all Harbaugh Super Bowl is almost too much to pass up.

Besides, who the hell wants to see NE in the SB again outside of Boston? The country is over the Patriots. Let's get Ray Lewis in there playing with Jesus on his shoulder and a Bruce Wayne-style bionic brace on his elbow.

Good luck this weekend Joe - though I see unders and faves covering. I don't think Baltimore's defense matches up with NE well anymore. At one time it did, but I think that ship has sailed. I also think that extra day of rest is negated by NE staying home, while Balt was 2/3 of the way across the country. If I had more faith in Flacco, I would agree on Baltimore. But I just don't - he's gotten extremely lucky these past two weeks. I've got NE winning this to the tune of 31-14

Yeah, I saw your comments at the end of last weekend and I knew I was going to be going against you on this one, Doggy.

Like I said, it's almost more of a line play than anything else. I actually agree with you that the Ravens' D is old. It's why I had the Donks ML last week. I was confident as the game wore on the Ravens would fade. Thing is, they didn't. And they get an extra day here to rest their bones.

I'm not confident they win—and if they turn the ball over enough I fully expect NE to cover. But all things being equal I see this as 24-17, 20-17, maybe 27-24.

Second, and more importantly, no Gronk for the Pats. To me this is huge, and I'm a fan of Aaron Hernandez.

But I think what Gronk does as far as really stretching you out on D could have been what breaks the Ravens' tired old backs. Without him I think they're in this game.

I think waaaay to much emphasis has been put on the lack of Gronk. With Gronk this year, 8-3 scoring 35 ppg. Without, 4-1, scoring 34 ppg. Although he had no offensive stats last week & missed majority of the game, I didn't include it as he did start.

Keep in mind he was out the first game against Houston & against the 9ers & they put up lots of points against (at the time) two of the most feared defenses. The 9ers being the only loss in that span but the Pats had no issues scoring when they needed to.

And although he did play against Baltimore earlier this season, he did shit, 2 catches for 21 yards, no TDs & a lost fumble. Will he be missed this weekend? Perhaps from a blocking standpoint or getting someone else open, I'll give you that. From an offensive production standpoint, no.

Back