Championship Games

scdoggy

Moderator (Honorary)
Frisco/ATL Under 48.5 two units

This number probably rises and I plan on getting at least one more unit at current price or better, but covering 47 and 48 are huge here so I'll bite now. Being careful not to overreact to events that unfolded the week before are always tough this time of year. I've been high on Frisco since last season, and I love the way they matchup with ATL, but ignoring what Atlanta does in this stadium is not a way to make money. I'll pass on the side and get involved with the total.

Last week we saw Kaepernick light up a Green Bay defense with a score that few could have seen coming. This week a QB playing his first road playoff game goes across the country to do it in a dome. I'll pay to see him do even half of what he did last week. And Harbaugh is no idiot. He was a fumbled punt away from playing in the Super Bowl last year. I don't think he's going to ask his QB to carry the team on his shoulders in this one. And he shouldn't have to.

Atlanta's rushing defense is ranked 19th in the NFL. If Harbaugh has half a brain, he'll run Gore until his legs fall off, then run James. Limit Kaepernick's chances to throw picks and get rattled on the road. And they should have no trouble doing it. San Francisco is 4th in the NFL in time of possession. If you are wondering about the other side of this equation - the Falcons are 9th. Both bode well for an under.

Matchup wise - I like San Francisco's defense against the run and the pass. They are the most complete team in the playoffs and are particularly good at defending the pass. This is big against the Falcons as they have what I think are the best passing targets in the NFL. Niners pass D ranked 5th best in the NFL in passing yards per game. Which brings me to my next point. ....

Yards don't always equal points. Atlanta's pass defense is 27th in the NFL in yards per game. Their run defense is 19th in the NFL in yards per game. Yet this team is ranked 4th in the NFL in scoring defense. San Francisco is ranked 3rd. These are numbers I really like. Everyone shits on Atlanta's D, but they are the team hosting this game, and they are the definition of a bend/don't break defense.

I know there are plenty who will say I'm nuts playing an under in this game based on both teams box scores from last week. But look at what ATL has done all season with these over inflated totals in the Georgia Dome: Falcon home unders during the regular season are 7-1.

I think this will be one hell of a football game with Frisco pounding away at ATL the whole game. Problem is, ATL has the ability to come from behind and make big plays in the passing game. The biggest question for me here is if ATL will be able to slow down SF's run when it counts and keep themselves in the game long enough to have a chance to steal it at the end with their WR's and Tony G.

Last edited:
GL Doggy. My biggest issue here is ATL's problems defending the read option. Scam torched them twice this year. Russell Wilson ran all of them (and for some reason, they didn't run the read option with him as much as I thought they would have towards the end). Kap will run it all day on them, and unless they figure out how to keep someone home on the back side of the play, Kap will keep that shit all day and pick up chunks of yards. Still, 49 is a lot of points to get to in a Conference Championship game, but SF should be able to score on ATL.
J

Jdogg - valid points on the read option for sure. I saw the Carolina game where Cam torched them in Charlotte. I didn't watch much of the Falcons game last week. What happened to them after halftime. From the box it looked like they shut Seattle down completely in the first half and then went soft with the big lead. I assumed it was similar to the Niners/Pats game in Foxboro a few weeks ago when Frisco backed off on D in the second half.

Seattle was fairly conservative first then went ham..aided by Matt ints.

Gl doggy.

Atl DL the entire sec h was afraid to rush Wilson. Be it the stay in ur lane stuff but it was terrible.. let Wilson play 7 on 7 with chance to take off..

Grind - thanks.

Hunt & Wade - I was able to watch the Sea/Atl game last night and I don't put too much stock in all the points that were scored. Watching that game actually made me like the under even more. It was a very lopsided game in which Sea was getting blown out, and as both of you mention - Ryan's picks and the fact that ATL was playing a pathetically soft defense in the second half. I see this being a fairly close game. Gun to the head I'd take the Niners, but I worry about them leaving the backdoor open. I could see them leading by 10 and giving up a trash score late to win by a FG.

NE/Baltimore Under 51.5 -110 two units

Just buying value in this one, as this number will certainly come down if the forecast holds. If the wind holds this will be a nice number to have, that will hopefully create a decent middle opportunity covering some very key numbers (51 in particular).

Actually they didnt play soft with a lead in the second, they lost their best edge rusher Abraham. After that they stopped rushung the QB and tried to contain Lynch and make Russell pass to beat them. It was working until the untimely picks and change in momentum.

NE/Baltimore Under 51.5 -110 two units

Just buying value in this one, as this number will certainly come down if the forecast holds. If the wind holds this will be a nice number to have, that will hopefully create a decent middle opportunity covering some very key numbers (51 in particular).

Doggy - I'm about 60 miles north of Gillette Stadium. Forecast here is "chance" of snow/rain in the early afternoon, temps in the high 20's/low 30's around gametime. Supposed to get colder than a witches tit sometime overnight but doesn't look like the winds will pick up til into Monday.

Thanks guys.

Zeke - I hope you're mistaken on this. Fucking weather.com has winds on Sat at 27 mph and winds on Sun at 25 for Foxboro, MA.

Maybe weather.com is run by some offshores?

[h=3]Sunday[/h]Go Pats!!! Windy and dry. Partly sunny. Early highs in the low to mid 40s drop to the low 30s by evening. Gusty winds for the game. Wind chills in the teens!!
[h=3]Sunday Night[/h]Turns colder as temperatures drop into the teens on a cold NW wind.

Good luck today, Doggy.

Both faves are very much the 'better' teams. Hate the inflated Niner line but there's some definite justice in it based on what Atlanta has shown versus 'read-option' QB's. Balty in a bad spot, IMO. They will have to be firing at 110% or more to compete, game has the same feel of the 09/10 Jets/Colts AFC 'ship. Will give the 'local' a call in a few hours...

Thanks for the info Zeke. You backing NE here? I'm close....

Not sure man, will call the local around 1:00 to see what he has on the games. Leaning a tease on SF at 4 or less, Atl at anything higher, then put the other six on Balt at anything higher than 8. Truth be told the beer will more than likely dictate my play. Very good chance I throw down on the Pats as my abode will be filled with drunken Pats fans. I don't want to be the one asshole routing for Balt to keep it close.

Emkee, WTF you doing awake right now, isn't it 5:00 AM your time?

Haha Zeke - the question is - why aren't you still up at 5 am.

Appreciate all the replies fellas. I've gone overboard on this total in Atlanta. Some at 48.5, a little at 49. But a total of 6.5 units for me on the under

I've got the under in NE at 51.5 for two and I'm gonna sit on it.

May take a little NE - the points later today.

Good luck and enjoy the games everybody

Good luck today, Doggy.

Both faves are very much the 'better' teams. Hate the inflated Niner line but there's some definite justice in it based on what Atlanta has shown versus 'read-option' QB's. Balty in a bad spot, IMO. They will have to be firing at 110% or more to compete, game has the same feel of the 09/10 Jets/Colts AFC 'ship. Will give the 'local' a call in a few hours...

Agree with what you've got here Emkee... I'm riding a niners future to win it all at +700, so that will be enough for me on the side here

Weather.com usually blows. Here's a good link for Boston weather. They are calling for it to be windier than the NH weather station. Looks like the wind will be from the west though. Stadium runs pretty much north-south so much of it may get blocked.

http://weather.boston.cbslocal.com/US/MA/Boston/KBOS.html
Yes I would not trust Weather.com, www.wunderground.com is also showing winds from the West. I would trust this source as we use this a lot for baseball and it has always beens the most reliable.

Missed this one. Thought for a while I might get lucky and be on the right side of the Moose of the year as this one stalled on 45 for a while. That first quarter just killed this one.

Congrats to those who nailed the Ravens and had the nuts to play the ML. Best bet of the weekend.

Nothing for me on the big game next week other than riding out my Niners +700 future.

See you guys next season.

Back