Champ Bailey

t-dot

Pretty much a regular
I dont really play close attention to def.stats; but came across this
(dont know how true these stats are)

Thrown at 35 times

21 defensed
10 interceptions

ONLY 4 passes were caught on him the ENTIRE year.

Could these be the best stats of of any corner in history? Is he better than Primetime?

Primetime was good..butI think he was a tad overrated. He marketed his star well.

Those numbvers are a by-product of teams shying away from his side of field if they are true.

Teams shied away, but an INT every third pass against you and 1 pass caught for every 10 thrown at you is ludricous.

and not every interception was neccesarity thrown at him.

That stat could have been only man/man coverage, where as avoiding zone coverage ( it gets difficult to chart).

Not every interception was neccesarily thrown at him either, I've seen plenty of interceptions of overthrown balls, safeties lurcking in the backround, tipped balls etc.

The data I saw said 86 passes were intended for receivers Baily was covering, and 40 of those were caught.

That is true data that he has. I was very surprised to see it also...I saw it also. I will try and track it down.

I still don't know how Champ didn't get the defensive MVP last year. Jason Taylor had those interceptions late in the season against a crappy QB to push him over the edge I guess....eh well.

Deion was overrated as a corner, mostly because he couldn't--or should I say 'wouldn't' hit for s**t. He made up for it with punt returns, though.

Champ is a better flat out corner than Deion, though I still feel like he's not all that great. But that could be me being blinded by my dislike for the Broncos. Tough to say there's a much better corner in the league right now, however.

<TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNSELECTABLE="on"><TBODY><TR height="100%" UNSELECTABLE="on" width="100%"><TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNSELECTABLE="off">
I don't believe that line. Where did you get your data from?

When they interviewed him during the game last week. I believe it was the national game on ESPN, they brought up those stats
</TD></TR><TR UNSELECTABLE="on" hb_tag="1"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNSELECTABLE="on">
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

<TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNSELECTABLE="on"><TBODY><TR height="100%" UNSELECTABLE="on" width="100%"><TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNSELECTABLE="off">
That is true data that he has. I was very surprised to see it also...I saw it also. I will try and track it down.

I still don't know how Champ didn't get the defensive MVP last year. Jason Taylor had those interceptions late in the season against a crappy QB to push him over the edge I guess....eh well.

I think the right person won the award....Shaun Merriman was up there also....besides Jason Taylor is an Akron Zip'an_horse'
</TD></TR><TR UNSELECTABLE="on" hb_tag="1"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNSELECTABLE="on">

Heres an article that disputes those numbers.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/index.php?p=5373

I have no idea where Tirico came up with this stat, but it is completely ridiculous. Four completions over the entire season? According to our game charting numbers, he gave up more than four completions in just one game — to the same wide receiver!
Seriously, where on earth did Tirico get this number? I don’t blame Tirico, I blame the research staff at MNF.
You want a number that shows how good Bailey is? I’ve got one for you. Zero. Champ Bailey may have given up 40 completions according to our game charters, but not a single one of them was a touchdown.

those stats are off if you ask me...

there is no doubt that Bailey is one of the best in the league, so it's true opposing teams stay away from him... but keep in mind this guy has played wide receiver and Corner, so his tactics are different. He plays the ball... not his zone or his man.. just the ball.. he has the awareness and the speed to do that... so when other defenders and corners are just chasing the receivers and throwing their hands up in the air hoping to block the ball when they actually have no clue where the ball is, Bailey is smart enough to be aware where it is at all times...

many of his interceptions, in fact, probably most of his interceptions were due to horrible passes that went right at him rather than him making any kind of a special play... keep in mind that alot of these quarterbacks are afraid to throw his way, so when they do, it's a bad pass... just watch some of these throws...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMzlLjs6i9g

from that season:

Charlie Frye threw a perfect pass to Bailey who was wide open in the endzone. Too bad Braylon Edwards, who was the intended receiver, was nowhere even around to at least defend it.

The Raiders Walters' threw a perfect out pattern to Bailey who caught it and just kept his feet inside before going out of bounds... too bad Moss was supposed to be the intended receiver there.

Hasselback overthrew Darrell Jackson in the endzone for a Bailey INT..

Roethlisberger underthrew Hines Ward badly giving Bailey the easy catch..

Palmer threw way behind Chad Johnson which allowed Bailey to catch it easily... had Johnson had a perfect throw on the run, he could've been gone...

McNair threw an underthrown jumpball to Clarence Moore that allowed Bailey to just jump up and catch it...

the list actually can go on... but the point I'm making is that all these bad throws would probably be dropped or ignored by other defenders who don't play the ball like he does.. like I said, he's played both receiver and corner...

also of the 35 thrown his way, saying '21 defended' sounds a bit distorted to me as well.. it makes it sound like he was the reason they were incompletes, but I remember reading somewhere he had like 11 deflections last season... so that means with the 10 interceptions, and supposedly the four receptions against him, the other 10 balls had to be just receiver drops or overthrows/underthrows where neither he or the receiver had a chance to get the ball... like I said before, many qbs throw bad passes because they are afraid of him.. thinking he'll get the interception...

As for the four receptions allowed, I guess it's possible, but I find it hard to believe.. I remember Wayne having like a 30 yarder against him and Harrison catching like a short 15 yarder against him... I also recall Moss catching one against him... so if you are saying he only allowed one other catch in the other 14 games, then that's hard for me to believe.....

I'm not dissing him or taking anything away from him... as I said before.. the guy is a tremendous corner, arguably the best in the league... but those stats have to be off.

great find bud... schatz is still the MAN.. hehe.

FO Mailbag: Champ Bailey’s Four Receptions

John L., Seattle: On the MNF opener, Mike Tirico claimed that Champ Bailey only gave up four receptions all last year on balls thrown to him. If that’s true, he should have been the unanimous MVP. Do you know where Tirico came up with that stat, and what does FO have to say about it?

I have no idea where Tirico came up with this stat, but it is completely ridiculous. Four completions over the entire season? According to our game charting numbers, he gave up more than four completions in just one game — to the same wide receiver!

In PFP 2007, you’ll see Bailey listed with 86 passes. Some of those are double coverages, etc. He actually had 83 passes where he was listed in the DEFENDER1 column. Oddly, not one of those 83 passes had another defender listed in the DEFENDER2 column.

On 40 of those passes, Bailey allowed a complete pass. That’s FOUR-ZERO, as in, ten times four. I understand that it is hard to chart defensive coverage with standard television camera angles, and surely we’re giving Bailey responsibility on some plays where the Broncos were actually in zone coverage and some safety was responsible — but could those really represent 36 of 40 complete passes? No, of course not.

Remember that a complete pass is not necessarily a failure by Bailey. In Week 11, for example, Philip Rivers threw to Antonio Gates with Bailey in coverage and the play actually lost a yard. Marvin Harrison had a catch for zero yards on third-and-5. Bailey’s 62 percent Success Rate was fifth in the NFL.

However, the man is not perfect. He’s not even 95 percent perfect, which is what his Success Rate would be if he really allowed only four completions all year. The zero-yard Harrison catch was one of five from Week 8 where we have Bailey marked as the defender in coverage. Three of the other four catches earned first downs. On one of these catches, the charter wrote “Quick slant breaks Bailey’s ankles. Hey, he’s not perfect.” Trust me when I tell you this guy was one of our most reliable charters. Actually, trust me when I tell you it was me.

What else is marked as a completion with Bailey in coverage? We have a 63-yard pass from Ben Roethlisberger to Hines Ward which went five yards through the air with 58 yards after catch — the charter marked down that the Broncos missed four tackles on the play, and one was by Bailey. We have a 35-yard pass from Alex Smith to Arnaz Battle, a 27-yarder from Matt Hasselbeck to Darrell Jackson, a 26-yarder from Steve McNair to Derrick Mason, and a 26-yarder from Trent Green to Samie Parker. Four completions total? We have five completions here over 25 yards.
Seriously, where on earth did Tirico get this number? I don’t blame Tirico, I blame the research staff at MNF.

You want a number that shows how good Bailey is? I’ve got one for you. Zero. Champ Bailey may have given up 40 completions according to our game charters, but not a single one of them was a touchdown.

<TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNSELECTABLE="on"><TBODY><TR height="100%" width="100%" UNSELECTABLE="on"><TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNSELECTABLE="off">I agree with you but on that same site they talk about the stats being realistic....</TD></TR><TR UNSELECTABLE="on" hb_tag="1"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNSELECTABLE="on">

<TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNSELECTABLE="on"><TBODY><TR height="100%" width="100%" UNSELECTABLE="on"><TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNSELECTABLE="off">Adam, Kitchener, Ontario: I just read an artical that claimed Champ Bailey had only 4 passes completed against him all last year! This cant be right can it?

<!-- displayed mode -->
sn2.gif
KC Joyner: Adam, I heard that same thing and have no idea how in the world anyone could come up with that metric. I had Bailey with 65 passes thrown at him and 28 of them being successful. His YPA was phenomenal and his success percentage superb but four completions is simply not an accurate assessment.

<TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNSELECTABLE="on"><TBODY><TR height="100%" width="100%" UNSELECTABLE="on"><TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNSELECTABLE="off">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PWLnsmeFiSM&mode=related&search=

I always thought Chris Mccalister was as sick as you guys are talking about Bailey now, but he's fallen off some. They never even used to throw at Chris because he was that damn good. I saw him make some of the most riddulous interceptions ( back at arizona, the bowl game).

Back