CFB Week 8

Timh

CTG Psychiatrist - Dr. Tim
5-5 in Week 7, this time losing a tidbit. Last 3 weeks I just can't break through and basically juicing out. Bad read on FLA this past week, as their front 7 on defense really got exposed by the sizeable LSU offensive line. I really thought LSU was just pretty much dead in the water, but they got off the mat and ran the ball extremely effectively 321 yards on 35 totes and AR15 was a fucking disaster with 3 picks and FL had 6 giveaways. It was like watching a fucking bad horror movie with chainsaws. Anyway keep plugging......

YTD Record
Sides 17-18, -2.87u
Totals 10-7-2, +2.83u
1H Sides 3-0 +3.0u
2H Sides 0-0-1, +0.0u
Parlays 0-1, -1.0u
Teasers 0-6 -6.5u
Overall 30-32-3, -4.54u

321 Colorado St. -3 -113 1*
340 Louisville -5 -108 1*
341 Syracuse +3.5 -113 1*
344 Pitt -3 -122 1*
346 Minnesota -4 -109 1*
355 NCST -3.5 -108 1* and -3 -108 1*
394 Purdue +3.5 -108 1*
395/396 LSU/Ole Miss under 76.5 -108 1*

Last edited:
Like that Wolfpack play a lot.good luck dr.tim.
expect you will have more coming
Bull I am due for a good week, and will keep working at it. Starting to get ready for CBB here soon which has always been my go to. Hope you are well and I miss the Bullsheet always a great read. I remember we were discussing FCS books with 5d not being available to US players. Did you ever find an out anywhere?

Bull I am due for a good week, and will keep working at it. Starting to get ready for CBB here soon which has always been my go to. Hope you are well and I miss the Bullsheet always a great read. I remember we were discussing FCS books with 5d not being available to US players. Did you ever find an out anywhere?
Negative, Tim
and tech problems with my computer have kept me from CTG participation. Hopefully that will change

Maryland loses WR Jeshaun Jones and LB Durell Nchami to season-ending injuries​

https://www.washingtonpost.com/spor...nes-durell-nchami-injuries-maryland-football/

Maryland wide receiver Jeshaun Jones and linebacker Durell Nchami are both out for the season with injuries that required surgery, Coach Michael Locksley said Tuesday. Jones suffered what Locksley described as a lower-leg injury Oct. 9 on the Terps’ second offensive play against Ohio State and had to leave the field on a cart. Nchami earned his first start of the season against the Buckeyes but will miss the second half of the 2021 campaign with an upper-body injury.

Jones, a junior, started the Ohio State game in the place of Dontay Demus Jr., the team’s best receiver, who recently had a season-ending knee injury that required surgery. Now with Jones’s absence, Maryland is without two of its best three receivers, a major hindrance for an offense that started the season well thanks to strong performances from quarterback Taulia Tagovailoa and his deep pool of wideouts.
At the season’s halfway point, Jones is third on the team in receiving yards (224). Demus still leads the group with the 507 yards he accumulated in five games before his injury on a kickoff return during the Iowa game. Rakim Jarrett, formerly a five-star recruit whose commitment Locksley flipped to the Terps, is Tagovailoa’s best receiving option remaining. The sophomore out of St. John’s in D.C. has 319 receiving yards and a team-high five touchdown catches this season.
Maryland’s struggles against Big Ten’s best continue in 66-17 loss to Ohio State
“He’s no longer the little brother in the room,” Locksley said of Jarrett. “He now has to become kind of the big brother. … We’re going to have to get a little bit more out of him.”

Running back Tayon Fleet-Davis and tight end Chigoziem Okonkwo have 145 receiving yards apiece. Their roles in the passing game could increase with Maryland’s receiving corps becoming thin. Brian Cobbs, a wide receiver who has garnered praise from Locksley this season, could also become more involved without Jones. Locksley has called Cobbs “as much of a star player on this team as we have.” The senior has 86 receiving yards, and he is now listed as a starter on the depth chart.
Senior wide receivers Darryl Jones (134 yards) and Carlos Carriere (61 yards), along with sophomore DeaJaun McDougle and freshman Marcus Fleming, could also help fill the void in production.
“No one’s nervous,” Okonkwo said. “No one’s worried. They’re all ready to go.”

For Jeshaun Jones, this injury comes as a second serious setback in his college career. Before the 2019 season, Jones tore his ACL and was sidelined for the year. After his recovery, he returned for the 2020 season that was cut short to only five games because of the coronavirus pandemic. Jones had 11 catches for 181 yards last season and entered this year hoping for an extended return to form

Jones started his Maryland career in astonishing fashion when he scored rushing, receiving and passing touchdowns in the season-opening win against Texas his freshman year. After Demus’s injury, Jones’s role this season seemed poised to expand, but now he’ll have to wait for his next opportunity.
Nchami played the first five games this year, recording nine total tackles and three sacks, which is tied for the second most on the team. On the depth chart, Nchami, a junior, had been considered a co-starter with Lawtez Rogers at one of the outside linebacker positions. Now Rogers is listed as the lone starter, with freshman Demeioun Robinson as the backup.

The Terps (4-2, 1-2 Big Ten) lost back-to-back games heading into last weekend’s bye. They will now travel to face Minnesota (4-2, 2-1), and Locksley said after the 66-17 loss at Ohio State he hoped this lull in the schedule would help his team become healthier.
Maryland men’s basketball remade itself in a single offseason through the transfer portal
Beyond the loss of Nchami, the Terps have dealt with a handful of injuries on the defensive side of the ball. Starting linebacker Fa’Najae Gotay suffered an upper-body injury during the season opener against West Virginia. He needed surgery and has not returned. Branden Jennings, the freshman linebacker who started in the place of Gotay, didn’t play in the last two games because of an injury. He returned to practice before Maryland faced Ohio State, but he did not play in that game. Locksley said he expects Jennings to return this week.

Starting cornerback Deonte Banks needed shoulder surgery last month and hasn’t played since. Kenny Bennett took Banks’s place as a starter, but Bennett and fellow starting cornerback Jakorian Bennett both missed the Ohio State game with hamstring injuries. Without these players, Maryland’s defense struggled significantly against the Buckeyes’ talented receivers, but Locksley said he is hopeful that both Kenny Bennett and Jakorian Bennett can play this week against Minnesota.
“I think,” Tagovailoa said, “a week off is something we all needed.”

Last edited:
Big Moves Off Open
315 FAU 2 TO 7
336 PST 17 TO 23.5
349/350 NI/CM 61.5 TO 57.5
351/352 KeST/Ohio 70.5 TO 66.5
355 NCST +2 TO -3.5
355/356 NCST/MIA 61.5 TO 51.5
363/364 ECU/HOU 62.5 TO 58
367/368 MIA OH/DOODAD ST 56.5 TO 51.5
386 UAB 19 TO 23
403/404 WKY/FIU 72.5 TO 77
414 HAW 14 TO 18

Last edited:

Maryland walk-on Kobi Thomas made improbable jump from scout team to starter​

Emily Giambalvo
Today at 7:30 a.m. EDT

Four years ago, on the sideline at a high school football game, Kobi Thomas sat on the bench in tears, away from the rest of his team while his father tried to console him. A shoulder injury had derailed Thomas’s senior season at DeMatha, and that stretch of a few months was supposed to be when he corralled some long-awaited scholarship offers. Instead, Thomas’s shoulder dislocated twice during the season opener, a nationally televised trip to Las Vegas to face Bishop Gorman. Thomas spent weeks rehabbing — delaying surgery with hopes of finishing the season — only for his shoulder to pop out of place again when he returned to the field at this October game against Gonzaga.
Some teammates offered comfort as Thomas thought to himself, “Man, why does this have to happen to me?” The dreams of playing big-time college football seemed in jeopardy, a worry that materialized when Thomas watched DeMatha’s signing day ceremony from the crowd. Thomas clapped for his close friends heading off to Power Five schools but knew he had always imagined being celebrated alongside them. Thomas could have signed that day, too. He had a scholarship offer to Morgan State of the Football Championship Subdivision, but he envisioned something more.

“Why would I settle for less, knowing myself and knowing the standard I have for myself?” Thomas said. “It just didn’t sit right with me. I don’t think I would have been happy going anywhere else.”

Thomas decided to pursue a walk-on spot at Maryland, even though that meant he’d join the team with no guarantees of ever playing a meaningful role. He hoped he would see the field by way of special teams, and perhaps he could play linebacker toward the end of lopsided games. Thomas felt content in that unheralded role. So all he experienced in the whirlwind of the past month — the rapid ascension from a full-time scout team player to a key contributor with a starting job against then-No. 5 Iowa — came as an unexpected surprise in the wake of several injuries among the Terrapins’ inside linebackers.

When Thomas attended DeMatha, the high school two miles down the road from Maryland, he and his friends sometimes drove to the college campus during their lunch period, even though they weren’t supposed to leave. They parked in the lot outside the football facility, sometimes finding tickets on the windshield after lunch, and ate inside the student union as though they were already in college. Thomas loved Panda Express.
He couldn’t enroll at Maryland until he took classes for a semester at a community college, so through the fall of 2018, Thomas studied writing and criminal justice while working at Dave & Buster’s. He had high school friends already on Maryland’s team, so he visited with them often. It all felt like “foreshadowing,” he said. His winding path finally reached College Park that winter, just after the school hired Coach Michael Locksley, and then Thomas’s steep climb toward playing time began.

The linebackers’ room at Maryland includes more than a dozen players on scholarship, and Thomas knew his chances of becoming a regular were slim. But he knew that when he chose this route, turning down options where he could play frequently in favor of this one. He had worked his way up at DeMatha, a powerhouse program, and figured he could aim to do the same in College Park.
“I knew how the game of football works,” said Thomas, who is set to graduate in the spring but will have eligibility remaining. “You keep your head down, just keep working. Eventually something is going to shake for you.”
Except that in Thomas’s first spring game at Maryland, his shoulder dislocated again and he needed another surgery. The familiar injury kept him out of the 2019 season. During the pandemic-shortened 2020 campaign, Thomas appeared in every game, primarily on special teams. Heading into this season, he felt confident. His understanding of the game had improved, and he had three years of experience in this program.
When asked when he felt like he belonged, Thomas thought for a moment and then said, “I feel like maybe this year a little bit.”

Thomas’s position group had a few established returners and newcomers expected to contribute, so he worked exclusively with the scout team through the first four weeks of the season. The Terps opened their Big Ten slate at Illinois, and Thomas’s dad, Cadell, had attended high school about an hour south of Chicago. Some family members had tickets to that game. Before Thomas’s dad boarded the plane, he found out that his son hadn’t made the travel roster.

“He was really in the dumps about it,” Thomas’s dad said. “... At this point, you don't know what to think as far as what the coaches think about you. If they don't think enough about you for you to even travel with them now, what does that mean?”
The next weekend, Maryland faced Kent State at home, and Thomas’s dad, who is a rail supervisor for Metro, went to work instead of the game. He was on the platform at the East Falls Church station in Arlington when the calls and texts started bombarding his phone.
Starting inside linebacker Ruben Hyppolite II couldn’t play the second half because of an injury, so Brawley Evans, the coach of that position group, told Thomas at halftime he would play the rest of the way. Thomas had only practiced with the scout team all week. He kept reminding himself how that experience against the first-team Terps offense would help him here.
Maryland’s struggles against Big Ten’s best continue in 66-17 loss to Ohio State
Early in the fourth quarter, Maryland called a blitz, and “as soon as they hiked the ball,” Thomas said, “I saw it open up.” So he sprinted toward the quarterback, pushed past the running back and notched his first career sack, prompting a rush of emotion.

“Here’s a guy that didn’t get a lot of work all week long,” Locksley said, “but he was prepared to go out and play when his opportunity and turn came.”
For Thomas, preparing for the Iowa game the following week brought a new sense of responsibility. He knew he would be a starter for the first time in his career. Freshman Branden Jennings, who had started in the place of the injured Fa’Najae Gotay, was also sidelined with an injury, so Thomas had to step in. He didn’t feel nervous, only “super focused,” he said. One of his mistakes led to Iowa’s 67-yard touchdown reception in the third quarter, after the game was already out of hand, and that disappointed Thomas.
Thomas didn’t start the next week against Ohio State; Ahmad McCullough instead earned the nod alongside Hyppolite. But Thomas has maintained a spot in the rotation as Jennings works his way back to the field, which could come as soon as Saturday at Minnesota. Even if his playing time dwindles as the Terps become healthier, Thomas will always hold the rare distinction as a walk-on who got to start.

Once it became apparent that Thomas had made that improbable jump, he received a red jersey to wear in practice. The members of the scout team wear black, while the defensive contributors are in red. Thomas said he wore that red No. 35 for one day, but then he switched back. The red didn’t feel right. And all season, no matter how much he plays, Thomas wants to remember the mentality he embraced when he started on this path.
“I just feel like years from now, I would probably look back and just smile at how I persevered through everything,” Thomas said. “Who would keep playing football after four shoulder injuries, two surgeries, not really getting that much playing time?”

Man, I got so much work to do before the Turkey week tourneys get here!!

I think your big week coming, love Pitt and ncst this week, gl

Paint thank you I wish Purdue would get it going....damn Leonard is just such a great D coordinator for the Cheese...

Always nice to bet against Diaz...witness inexplicable TO call to help NCST who had 0 Timeouts left get situated after big play and then throw subsequent TD pass...with 20 seconds left in half.

Jesus Christ I get beat by Dick Van Dyke fml,,,,and Manny. God that pisses me off.

Big Moves Off Open
315 FAU 2 TO 7 FAU 38-9
336 PST 17 TO 23.5 Illinois 20-18 L
349/350 NI/CM 61.5 TO 57.5 NI 39-38 L
351/352 KeST/Ohio 70.5 TO 66.5 Kent 34-27 W
355 NCST +2 TO -3.5 Miami 31-30 L
355/356 NCST/MIA 61.5 TO 51.5 W
363/364 ECU/HOU 62.5 TO 58 Hou 31-24 W
367/368 MIA OH/DOODAD ST 56.5 TO 51.5 Miami 24-17 W
386 UAB 19 TO 23 Rice 30-24 L
403/404 WKY/FIU 72.5 TO 77 WK 34-19 L
414 HAW 14 TO 18 HAW 48-34 L