CFB Week 2 wagers

redbearde

Pretty much a regular
3-5 ML, +.52 units so far. Getting both sides of the Cal-Tenn game helped.

Wyoming +320. UVA is going to have to prove they're this much better than Wyoming, or most any other team who has a *win* before I'm going to shake my head no at this game. Perhaps a more reasonable number would be a pk or UVA -3. I have trouble seeing the Wahoos move the ball against anyone this year - at least for 3.2:1. This may not be the best move I've ever made...this will be UVA's home opener and Wyoming has to come across the country. But this is the kind of value I like going against bad teams that are supposed to be good.

Akron +350 at NCSU. Let's take stock of a few things. Marcus Stone still can't pass the damn ball. He's ass. That's all there is to it. He's like a MUCH lesser Mike Vick. Or Mike Vick with a broken leg. Stone can run, but the wolfpack isn't much of an option offense and teams will only have to pile 8 guys in the box to stop that run. Last week's App St. stats are abysmal. 96 total yards, 1.6 ypc. NCSU still has a decent defense...at least against a Div 1AA opponent. But keep looking. App scored 10 points on 92 yards. TEN POINTS. How? NCSU fumbled it 4 times, lost it 3 of those 4, and Marcus Stone maged to throw an INT with only 13 passing Attempts. NCSU only managed 259 total offensive yards, 217 being on the ground with that highly regarded rushing tandem. If the pack wants to compete in the ACC, it really needs to manage 300+ on the ground against this opponent. And with similarly abysmal 3rd down conversion rates, NCSU's going to get thrashed repeatedly this year.
Add to this that Akron looked pretty good to me last week. Okay, yes, Akron got spanked by Penn State, but I expected that, so back to what they actually did. Akron was able to move the ball and not just in ass time for over 200 yards. Akron recovered 2 PSU fumbles. Akron kept PSU under 300 yards of total offense. Zips managed 18 first downs including 4-5 on 4th down, though the 3rd down conversion of 5-17 ain't that good.....the point is that Akron made a decent showing for itself at Penn State, and NCSU pretty much did everything they could to lose the App St game. If they both do this again, and I expect they will (remember, I'm an NCSU guy, I've been intently watching this shit for years), Wolfpack fans will be walking out of the stadium next week grumbling, "how could we lose to AKRON at Home???"

Tulsa +204 at BYU. Before the AZ game, BYU did some sort of warm-up fu. It was funny. It didn't help them move the ball any. The one TD BYU had came from a recovered fumble on the AZ 6 yard line(i remember this, though it's not recorded in the box score....am I on crack?), and they damn near didn't get that one in either. When either team managed some semblance of a drive, and they did, they always stalled somewhere they shouldn't. It was a lackluster shit performance for a couple teams that were supposed to be offensive powerhouses. BYU got the benefit of an INT, but they coughed up a couple fumbles too. Somehow BYU managed almost 300 yards of total offense. AZ managed just over 230. The lack of scoring in that game was ridiculous, and neither defense looked all that good. I watched this game without another game's distraction, and I'm still unclear on how the Wildcats won...besides the obvious ending with more points. Regardless, if BYU doesn't step it up significantly this week, Tulsa has more than a good shot here. 2:1 looks okay to me, though obviously more would be nice. Good value is enough for me to bet on. It's no 3.5 to 1 that we get with Akron....I think that's GREAT.

Penn St. +290. Against GT, the domers collected 384 yards of total offense for 14 points. They collected 3.5ypr for a total of 138 yards. ND gave up 4.3 ypc giving up 119 yards ruhing. GT also grabbed 140 yards passing - Reggie Ball, not the greatest passing QB ever... ND also committed 11 penalties costing them 80 yards. I didn't see much of that game. Anyone know what those mostly were? Offsides/False start?

Brady Quinn looked okay. That's wretched for a heisman candidate. If he doesn't step it up, ND won't go anywhere this year. Penn St didn't have many first downs (and relatively few yards) against the Zips, but I think that was largely due to the Zips giving up big plays early in drives and short fields for the Lions. Morelli looked only okay at 50% passing completions, but he did manage to not HURT his team with INTs. If Penn St plays [big]mistake free football, I think they have at least a 50-50 shot at winning. +290 is reeeeal tastey here.

San Jose St, I think carries with it a higher chance of failure than the others. I think the biggest thing they have going for them and their value is their homefield against a weakass stanford team with no defense. Stanford actually had possession more than Oregon did, but methinks that had to do more with Oregon's offensive -effectiveness- rather than Stanford's "effective" ball control offense getting 2.9ypc or Stanford's defense allowing 70% 3rd down efficiency. Oregon only needed 10 first downs.

In short, Stanford has zero defense and marginal offense, at best. For a PAC 10 team, the offense is total ass.

SJSU, not that I want to tout Washington very much, did fairly well. No picks, no fumbles, and SJSU manged to score in every quarter (albeit FGs, mostly). Washington ran all over SJSU (7.3ypc for 300 yards), so perhaps Stanford's rushing attack will do as well...kinda doubt it. SJSU was able to move the ball against the Husky defense for 373yards...mostly through the air. The Stanford secondary should have some more trouble this week against Tafralis who managed to complete 28/35 against Washington. If SJSU can squeak a few decent runs by to keep Stanford's D on their toes, and with that D-line, they ought to be able to, then I have GOT to believe SJSU has at least a 50/50 shot of winning at home.

Okay, so SJSU did lose the game, and there are some issues with Defense here, too. However, I do see a good shot at this team winning, too.

I'm open to any other suggestions fellas, but these 5 teams look like good value to me. To recap, I have already played:

Wyoming +320
Akron +350
Tulsa +204
Penn St +290
SJSU +370

I also have some spread plays:

So far, I'm 14-4-1, +11.25 units

Pitt -10 (+102)
VPI -12.5 (+102)
Akron +9.5 (+100)
Wyoming +8 (-102)
Washington +17 (-106)
San Jose St +10 (+101)
Clemson -3 (+112)

Pitt looks like the real deal this year.....even with Wannstadt. Cinci better man up to even consider a shot.
VPI against UNC. Smurf Village couldn't beat a no-defense Rutgers. No way do they compete with VPI.
Washington should keep it close with Oklahoma through Offensive willpower. Stack the box, and another TCU-like win could hit. I'm not taking that ML, btw.
Clemson is looking real tough this year, and without Ryan, BC should come down a notch. This should be a real good game, and I don't usually like to bet those, but I think Clemson will win by a TD or so. Perhaps 10. I think BC will have an uphill battle to even keep it that close. The trenchfight, though, will be a LOT of fun to watch.

Okay Sooners...post your unders so I can tail again.......

ateeheehee

...edited to update the record with FSU & the under plays

Last edited:
I like your plays redbearde...I might jump on Akron Ml myself.

I disagree with PS ML though. ND was rusty in the first half against GT and made the adjustments to win....the line is high for a reason and you are asking an unproven QB to win on the road in his first road start. If they win great, but I just don't see it happening.

GL on the rest bro.

Very nice... I agree was VERY impressed with SJSU on the road... and very disappointed with Utah St. on the road (whom your pick Wyo manhandled in the 2H). Maybe SJSU has decided to make a step forward while UTS will play for a 1 win season... or perhaps Wyoming is much improved from last season.. who knows..

Regardless, SJSU should play tough at home... I don't know if an embarassed Stanford will lose to them SU though. Stanford's offense is much more complex than Washington's .. and their D will love to not have to handle one of the better offenses in the nation like they had to with Oregon.. but I think your +10 is good.

Pitt did look good and Cinnci sucks... not ready to say Pitt is the real deal till they battle a top 25 team and play them tough... but not ready to say that Cinnci has any shot after going toe to toe with the Orangewoman. That play is $$$ and I will lock it in later tonight.

Already on Clemson -1 and loving it

GL bro

KK, I can see a spread play, but do you really think FAU can run with K State? I want more than +1440 in any event for putting money on that.

Huntdog, yeah, perhaps this one is where Quinn lights it up and actually starts on his heisman run. I still like the value, and Penn St is a solid team. GL.

Inspek, thanks bro. GL to us.

Adding New Mexico St. +310 and +9 (-105)

I usually try to stay away from rivalry games. 3:1 is pretty good. The Lobos have a lot to prove after shitting the bed this weekend. I'm hoping their lack of discipline holds through and NMSU can put up enough at home to win this for me. Don't like this one as much as Akron....there are lots of unanswered questions. But I like the value here, and perceived value is the name of my game.

GL guys.

redbearde, I was thinking about that Akron side myself but was waiting to hear what a Wolfpack fan thought about their team. I, too, was impressed with Akron this last week against Penn State even though as you said they got spanked. Their offense produced and defense was not too bad, they were just outclassed by PSU. I think that Akron, along with NIU, are the two teams to be reckoned with in the MAC.

I'm only playing one TOTAL this week so far, dude. I'm taking the OVER 49 in Texas/tOSU game. I just didn't see anything else that jumped out at me. If I do, I'll let you know. Good luck and congratulations on your winning week!
beer.gif

troystacks, .....okay. let me know what you decide. And about what game. =)

Thanks sooners, yeah NCSU has a hard road ahead of em this season. Marcus Stone tossed the ball 13 times and managed to complete about half with one going to the other team. If he can manage to hand it off continually, the pack will run into a wall of 8 or 9 guys in the box.

All Year.

I will be fading the pack any time they're favored...And these numbers for Akron have me real excited for yet another weekend.

If I play a total, it's an under. And I tend to stay away from the game the ESPN guys go to. It's usually overhyped, and I get wacky info on it from all sides. GL on your bet. I'll root for offense!

interesting card, red...to say the least

i gotta lot to look at still...but wanted to chime in on SJST and Stanford.
i'm not a Stanford fan by any means, but i am a huge fan of Trent Edwards. He jsut doens't have much talent around him. That said, i'm looking hard at the over here.

not sure about the ML play, but considering Stanford's lack of defense, can't argue with takign the points. got some more work to do...but jsut wanted to say that the over stood out to me right away. but, again, i'm a huge fan of Edwards.

thanks Yanks. I think I have enough money on this game...heh..

especially with these new timing rules, I'm real wary of taking an overs at all.

peace

thanks pags. =)

Again, for the sake of completeness, I'm adding

Texas Tech -6.5 (-105)
Texas A&M -20.5 (-114)
Nevada +14 (+103)
Florida Atl +21.5 (-105)

The two faves are essentially coattails plays. I'm not going to try to explain myself about Nevada and FAU. Sufficed to say, I think the value is with these teams against their respective competition. I do not think the likelihood warrants a ML play in either case.

GL guys

mizzu -10 (-105)
Louis -39.5 (-108)
Wake -20.5 (+101)
EMU +25.5 (-101)
LSU -17 (+106)
Hou -14 (-101)
Ark St +14 (+100) & AsU +470 for a micro

You might recognize the keeper plays I'm not on already (tho I think Pitt will beat Cinci). I now officially have way too damn many plays.

methinks this'll be it.

Me thinks you got a great thread rolling here redbearde. Grae tthoughts. Certainly think 40 percent of those ML's hit and thats gravy.

GL this week..on LSU and Houston myself. May place a qaurter unit on 4 of the 5 ML's.

don't miss Garf's & Matador's threads over at you know where. They might have more info for you on the ML dogs.

I personally love these bets. Last year there were weeks I went 2-8 and STILL managed a profit. Usually did a bit better than that, though.

I read your thread. The more folks I respect that I see on ND, the less I like my PSU bet. I should have waited and gotten a better number, I guess, if I woulda played it. Usually it works the other way, though.

If PSU loses, let's make sure the TD JEsus helps the chalk cover for you.

GL on your card.

guess I'm not done...but I like the juice for this number. Others have better write-ups for SEC games than I can generate. Sufficed to say, I dig my chances here.

Georgia -3 (+101)

Riding one more time with you on Houston. They lose, they're dead to me.

GL young whipper-snapper.

Nice tits, sweetie.

And don't ride Houston because I picked em bro. Ride em cus you think they have a good shot at covering. I think Rice scared them in something of a rivalry game last week, and they'll want to come out and make the statement that they're a lot better than a 1pt win over.

I'll tell you this, though...if I can get positive juice, I'll buy out of this bet instantly. ...think I just might by Saturday, too.

I locked in Houston this morning before your parents changed your diapers.

You wish you could suck on my funbags.

LOL. yeah, he didn't wake up til about 10:30 this morning. I fed him and gave him his medicine, but I left the diaper for my wife.

Aren't I nice?

I'm a tool. Boise St/Oregon St. Under 60.5 (-103)

and these fuckers can't shut up about Texas/tOSU game.

oh goody.

some good looking stuff there, redbearde, GL tomorrow and nice work with that total last night. A whole lotta nothing after half, always nice...

oh, I got lucky as hell last night.

and to clarify my gripe about the fuckers talking about the texas/tOSU game, I meant the guys commentating on the game..

not the fuckers posting threads here.
Good fucking to you all!

especialy you Rexy. GL tomorrrow.

I have way too many playss....there's something for everyone to like.

I have one bro. thanks.

you can certainly send me one...perhaps yours is better.

if I don't respond, yahoo's spam filter may have eaten it.

Last edited:
Tonight my Pitt -10 +102 came in. Looked touchy there for a while with 4 minutes left. Wannstadt's boys did everything they could to lose that game.....I'll take the ugly wins too.

Tonight I bought my way out of Arkansas St. I had ASU +14 (+100)
now I also have OSU -14 (+107)

the reasoning, well, I lost my mind and bet it before I internalized the INDIANS NOT AT HOME reality...

anyway, I like chances for free money, so yay - I'll take it. ...can't do anything about the mini-ML bet. Life goes on.

GL on your games tomorrow guys.

Wyoming +320
Akron +350
Tulsa +204
Penn St +290
SJSU +370
New Mexico St. +310
Kent +260

Pitt -10 (+102)
VPI -12.5 (+102)
Akron +9.5 (+100)
Wyoming +8 (-102)
Washington +17 (-106)
San Jose St +10 (+101)
Clemson -3 (+112)
New Mexico St. +9 (-105)
Texas Tech -6.5 (-105)
Texas A&M -20.5 (-114)
Nevada +14 (+103)
Florida Atl +21.5 (-105)
UNLV +14 (+104)
mizzu -10 (-105)
Louis -39.5 (-108)
Wake -20.5 (+101)
EMU +25.5 (-101)
LSU -17 (+106)
Hou -14 (-101)
Ark St +14 (+100)
Georgia -3 (+101)

Just wanted a fairly comprehensive list for myself. I didn't include the Arky St ML intentionally because it was a microbet. I didn't include the micro I won last week, either.

yeah. I'll give Marcus some credit though. He played well enough to give NCSU more than a chance, you know?

Hey, did you happen to notice which finger it was that Chuck was flying as he walked out of the stadium? It looked to me like the first, but someone else said it looked like the middle.

Did you see it?

Nah, didnt see it...was on the akron side about 15 yard line where they went into the tunnel...akron was taunting bad and some terrible fans throwing shit on the field

yeah. it didn't look to me like he flew the bird, but if he did, you know it'll be on sportscenter later...

yeah i doubt he did...packpride and those places are crazy right now...people lose their minds when we lose

Wyoming +320 - L
Akron +350 - W
Tulsa +204 - L
Penn St +290 - L
SJSU +370 - W
New Mexico St. +310 - L
Kent +260 - L

ML, 2-5 +2.2 units overall 5-10, +2.72 units

Boise/OSU U 60.5 (-103) 2 units - W
Pitt -10 (+102) - W
VPI -12.5 (+102) - W
Akron +9.5 (+100) - W
Wyoming +8 (-102) - W
Washington +17 (-106) - P
San Jose St +10 (+101) - W
Clemson -3 (+112) - L
New Mexico St. +9 (-105) - W
Texas Tech -6.5 (-105) - L
Texas A&M -20.5 (-114) - W
Nevada +14 (+103) - L
Florida Atl +21.5 (-105) - L
UNLV +14 (+104) - W
mizzu -10 (-105) - W
Louis -39.5 (-108) - W
Wake -20.5 (+101) - L
EMU +25.5 (-101) - L
LSU -17 (+106) - W
Hou -14 (-101) - W
Ark St +14 (+100) - L
Oklahoma St -14 (+107) -W
Georgia -3 (+101) - W
Oregon -3 (+100) - W

So far, if I do the math right, I'm up 10.17 units including the double I put on the boise under. 66% this week, which is still damned good. Maybe Nevada can hold on or backdoor cover this. I'll find out tomorrow, but I have to crash tonight. It's hard to get up on Sunday mornings for church during football season.

updated
16 - 7 - 1 66%, +10.17 units.

If it matters to you, in spreads and totals I'm up a total of 21.37 units with a win % still over 70. This does not mean I'm good and everyone should follow my lead - on the contrary, many of my plays are tails of others. I've just lucked out in a few places...though in the MLs, I coulda lucked out a bit more. Hey, I'm greedy. I wanted Wyoming and Kent to win too.

with a couple scares, notably Wake Forest and Tennessee, my 21pt teaser survived the day. I have a few NFL games to close it out tomorrow.

It's been a damned successful couple weeks, and I thank you guys again for all your help.

:smiley_acbe:

Last edited:
Nice job to you.. I loved that Akron line ( i remembered discussing it with you) Lets do it again next week.

Back