2005-06 CFB Record
77-71, +0.52 Units

2006-07 CFB Record
70-48, +51.29 Units

2007-08 CFB Record
53-52, -33 Units

2008-09 CFB Record
7-3 +4.2 Units

All plays for 1 unit unless otherwise stated.

Plays
Oklahoma -20 (-110)
Okie Lite -13' (-110)
USF -13 (-110)
TT -8' (-110)
NW -6' (-110) Freeplay
UGA/CMU o58' (-110)

Leans
Cal
La Tech

Last edited:
<table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr><td class="col0">Smelley or Beecher? Spurrier unsure of starting QB for Vandy

</td><td class="col1">Story Highlights
  • Chris Smelley directed three TD drives against N.C. State last week
  • Beecher is still suffering from effects of a sore left shoulder
</td></tr></tbody></table><table class="cnninlineright" align="right" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr><td>
</td></tr></tbody></table>COLUMBIA, S.C. (AP) -- After watching starter Tommy Beecher get banged up in South Carolina's opener, Steve Spurrier figures it'll take more than one quarterback to get the Gamecocks through the season.
Beecher, a junior making his first start, threw four interceptions and was ineffective for much of the first three quarters of South Carolina's 34-0 victory over North Carolina State. He came out before the final period after taking a hit to the head and hurting his left shoulder so badly he couldn't practice Saturday.
Spurrier didn't say Sunday if Beecher or backup Chris Smelley would get the call Thursday night at Vanderbilt, only that the team would likely need them both to succeed this season.
"Guys get hit all the time, this that and the other," Spurrier said. "So, we'll just see how the season goes. That's all you can do. But you'd have to guess we're going to need two quarterbacks to maximize our talent this year."
Spurrier also said that doesn't mean he'll alternate passers as he's done at times, both at South Carolina and at Florida. It's just that the physical defenders in the Southeastern Conference make it likely anyone in there at quarterback will get bounced around and possibly hurt.
The state of South Carolina's offensive line last week makes that even more probable. Beecher took five sacks and Spurrier said some of those resulted from Gamecock linemen "opening the gates" without hitting defenders.
The more practice time Beecher misses, the more likely it is for Smelley to return to a role he had for six games last season.
Smelley looked confident, polished and smooth in his quarter of play. He completed all five of his throws, two that went for TDs, and directed three scoring drives for South Carolina in its season opener.
Beecher's injury also gave third-stringer Stephen Garcia more practice time. Garcia took part in a scrimmage at Saturday's practice for players who didn't see much action Thursday night, Spurrier said.
"He threw some good ones," Spurrier said. Garcia "looked better than he's been looking, put it that way."
Spurrier had said since April that Beecher would have the chance to "go the distance" as South Carolina's starting quarterback. There was no denying, Spurrier said, that Smelley was crisper with the offense. Should Beecher's shoulder continue to hurt and keep him out of practice, "he's not going to be the starter. That's pretty obvious to everyone. But we'll see how the week goes," Spurrier said.
It's not going to matter who's back there unless the offensive line improves. South Carolina was called for four false starts and a holding penalty. Spurrier was so frustrated with the situation he said Sunday he was "going to find some guys that can stay on-side. If they can't block, that's OK as long as they stay on-side because then they'll get a chance to play."
Spurrier has said junior college transfer Jarriel King would start over Hutch Eckerson, called for two false starts last week. Spurrier also said tackle Kyle Nunn would work some at guard leading up to the Vanderbilt game.
Offensive line coach John Hunt makes his players run or do extra up-downs to emphasize the need to stay lined up until the snap, Spurrier said.
Spurrier asked Hunt if the Gamecocks needed to go with a silent snap count, a tactic used to combat loud road stadiums, at Williams-Brice Stadium to keep the line in sync.
"He said, 'No, no. They can hear," Spurrier said. "They don't want to hear, they want to guess, I guess, anticipate. But maybe we have to go on the foot at home. I don't know."

Adding:

TT -8' (-110)

Looking over the stats and thinking of the circumstances and I don't see this one working out well for Nevada. I liken it to the 2005 meeting with Nevada when they hosted Washington St. Nevada was a 9 pt dog at home and was supposed to be competitive but lost by nearly 30.

The next year they travelled to ASU and were 14 pt dogs and lost by 30 again.

Nevada has played Big XII teams twice and lost both, badly. Both were on the road. Steele says that they are 1-1 at home against BCS teams--the first being the WSU ass-kicking they got and the other being the home win against a NW team that was mourning the loss of the coach in 2006. They then went and lost to NW in Chicago the next year.

At under 9, I'll lay it and may lay some more.

hope you cash. how did UT look on saturday? it was pretty sad how espn hasn't even touched the a&m loss - maybe they dont consider it an upset.

Texas looked very good, but had problems. I posted my thoughts in the Sunday Morning Coffee thread. Check it out.

Big Ten week 1 wrap-up

from Boilermaker football blog by T-Mill
After seeing yesterday’s college football results I realize that I should probably stick to covering the Big Ten. At the end of the week’s preview I went on a diatribe about Alabama, and specifically coach Nick Saban, being overrated. The Crimson Tide crushed Clemson, and officially shut me up from saying anything about the man again.

As far as the Big Ten goes, Things went almost exactly as planned. Only Michigan, Michigan State, and Illinois went down to defeat. Those were defeats that were somewhat expected, even mildly in Michigan’s case. The other seven games were the blowouts that we expected.Teams that weren’t supposed to have problems with their opponents did not. Teams that were expected to have some problems did. The glaring exception was Minnesota, which pulled out its game, but will likely continue to have defensive issues. Perhaps the worst thing is that The Big Ten went 0-2 in its biggest games this week, further weakening the stature of the conference at large.

There’s no real change in the power rankings this week. This is mostly because there isn’t enough evidence yet to necessitate a change. There will be after next week when there are some better games and Purdue finally joins the party. What follows is a quick wrap up of each team in order of its original ranking.

Ohio State 43, Youngstown State 0 – The goal of these games is obviously just to keep everyone healthy. Ohio State probably was not going to lose unless it committed about 15 turnovers and generally played the worst game in its history. As a result, they simply wanted to avoid injury. Since the story of the game was Beanie Wells getting hurt that is a fail.

Wells looked impressive from what little he played, but if it is indeed turf toe/Lisfranc/a sprain it is the kind of nagging injury that can derail a season. The Buckeyes face another near certain win this week, so it may be best to rest him before the showdown with USC (which looked awfully good on the road against a team with a pulse). Like many games yesterday, this one simply went as expected aside from Wells’ injury.

Wisconsin 38, Akron 17 – This was likely a little too close for comfort with it only being 17-10 at the half. As we were driving toward Wrigley Field yesterday (a small benefit of Purdue not playing, I must say) my wife was checking scores and I was surprised to see it so close in the fourth quarter. Wisconsin’s depth, experience, and talent took over in this one and made it the expected margin by the end.

Akron had no answer for P.J. Hill. That’s not a surprise considering that few teams will have an answer for him this season. The running game as a whole generated 404 yards. That’s just a staggering number. 75 passing yards from Allan Evridge is far from a concern if they can keep putting up numbers like that, but more balance will be necessary. Still, if a team can find a way to slow down Wisconsin on the ground they have a chance. I am incredibly thankful that is a question we won’t have to answer until 2009.

California 38, Michigan State 31 – I am not surprised that Michigan State lost. It’s hard to begin the season with such a long road trip. Traditionally Big Ten teams struggle when they go on the road to face the Pac-10 early in the season. The last time I think a Big Ten team won such a game was our win at Arizona in 2005 and Ohio State at Washington last year. What is a concern is that Javon Ringer and the vaunted running game did so little. Ringer did find the end zone twice, but had to work hard for his 81 yards with 27 carries.

Brian Hoyer also had the type of game that fans hate to see: a ton of passing yards but not a lot of production. Of course, two of those drives were ended by Ringer TD runs, so it wasn’t a total wash. Spartan fans have to be concerned that the defense gave up a lead early and just couldn’t quite get the one stop it needed to turn things around. Cal did a good job of keeping the lead comfortable throughout. Michigan State is one of the conference’s best teams, but they still have a couple of steps to go.

Penn State 66, Coastal Carolina 10 – Everyone expected a blowout, but probably not of this caliber. Everyone got in on the act for the Nittany Lions, including a peanut vendor, a Make-a-Wish Foundation kid, and four cheerleaders if you look at the box score. Like Ohio State’s win, it’s hard to take much else from this one because of the margin. At least for a week Paterno pulls even with Bowden in the battle to see who blinks first. Since Florida State has not one, but two 1-AA opponents this year I think it is an unfair advantage.

Purdue 457, Dreaded Bye Week 3 – We had another good scrimmage on Friday afternoon. Coach Tiller also seems to think the defense will be very good. I agree with him, but because Northern Colorado is quite punchless I don’t expect to find out for myself for another two weeks when Oregon comes to town.

Speaking of Oregon, once we got settled into our hotel last night I was able to watch a good portion of their game against Washington. The first thing of note was that Justin Roper did not play much at all after getting banged up in the first half. Washington had it close for awhile, but they were unable to offer any protection for Jake Locker against Oregon’s pass rush. Three quarterbacks ended up playing, and all three are dangerous on the ground. Running back Jeremiah Johnson looked especially imposing with 124 yards and two scores.

This was a close game (14-10 at the half) that Washington let get away late with 30 unanswered points in the second half. I don’t know if it was a case of Oregon being that good, or Washington’s defense being that bad. Honestly, it was probably a little of both. The Duck defense did a very good job of containing Locker, but he doesn’t have as many weapons as Painter. They face a meek Utah State team next week, so they won’t have another good opponent until they face us. We’ll need to be ready to face multiple speedy quarterbacks.

Northwestern 30, Syracuse 10 – The Wildcats passed their toughest test of the non-conference season, but that is not saying much. Their preseason schedule makes Indiana’s seem rough. At least the Hoosiers are playing two really good MAC teams. Northwestern has four godawful teams to open against. The Wildcats actually trailed in the second half of this one, but went to the ground game like Wisconsin to dominate behind Tyrell Sutton.

Getting Sutton to the 100 yard mark in each game will be critical to Northwestern’s success. If he does that, the Wildcats have the balance that good teams need in order to win. Look at Michigan State this week. They had over 300 yards passing but didn’t hit 100 yards rushing and lost. If you can generate about even numbers in each phase of the game it makes things much easier. Northwestern did that yesterday and won comfortably.

Missouri 52, Illinois 42 – The Illini are clearly not ready, at least nationally. They have an offense that can do a little bit of everything, but their much talked-about defense didn’t even slow down Chase Daniel. If you have a good defense you should at least be able to force a Heisman candidate like Daniel work for his yardage. Illinois did not do so. For good measure they also surrendered a kickoff and interception returns for scores.

Missouri achieved the balance mentioned above and won going away. Illinois only gained 17 fewer yards, but barely gained anything on the ground by comparison. A ton of passing yards don’t equal wins. Just ask Drew Brees in against Wisconsin in 1998 and Brady Quinn against Purdue in 2004. Illinois’ defense failed it on this day.

Utah 25, Michigan 23 – I found this very interesting perspective on the Utah-Michigan game through CFN. Essentially, it states that Most of Michigan’s points came off of mistakes that Utah made. They are the types of mistakes that Michigan won’t get, at least in terms of total volume, the rest of the year. Teams will play sharper as the season goes on. The Big Ten is also better than the Mountain West, meaning better athletes will also factor in.

I still like Michigan to win their other three non-conference games. Despite everything, the Wolverines do not lose games against the MAC. That means Toledo and Miami should be wins. I still also favor them against Notre Dame, though it could be as big of a cripple fight as last year. I can’t help but think the Wolverines will have trouble, however, when they meet the better defenses of the Big Ten.

Indiana 31, Western Kentucky 13 – I know it was only a game against a team that’s not quite Division 1-A, but Kellen Lewis looked awfully good yesterday. Like Antwaan Randle El a few years ago, the Hoosiers are a much better, and more dangerous, team than they have been in a long time. I refuse to join my Purdue brethren that continues to cut them down. This is a good football team that can use this season to springboard into a very promising future. If we’re not careful, they will pass us.

Indiana has taken that critical next step where it is learning to dominate the games they should win. It used to be they would struggle somewhat, but still beat these types of opponents. Now they are learning to take care of business early, which is a very necessary skill if you’re going to become a good football team. They still must develop a ground game outside of Lewis, but if they do they will be dangerous.

Minnesota 31, Northern Illinois 27 – I was surprised that Minnesota had so much trouble with the Huskies, but the 10 game losing streak is at least officially history. They cannot be happy that Bowling Green took out a ranked Pittsburgh team on the road, but I am sure Gopher fans are happy to have any win after last season.

Still, the story was the same. The defense gave up an alarming number of big plays to an opponent that is nowhere near the talent level that the Gophers will face the rest of the year. Northern Illinois scored three touchdowns from farther than 50 yards. Two of those came as Minnesota already held a lead, a rarity in itself from last year. This is not a good sign for the future of the season.

Iowa 46, Maine 3 – This is another incomplete game, as any marginally good Big Ten team should beat a 1-AA opponent by a similar margin. Iowa continues to do what I hate, and that is not settle on a quarterback and stick with him. The dual quarterback system, unless you’re Florida, NEVER works. You might win a few games with it, but in the end it is more likely that you won’t have a ton of success. Nothing really stands out from this one.

Since this is another team that has the perfect schedule to build some confidence. Florida International will provide better competition next week, but not a lot better. We likely won’t have a full handle on iow until the end of the non-conference season.

[FONT=verdana, arial, sans serif]Who's Hot & Not - Week 1[/FONT][FONT=verdana, arial, sans serif][/FONT][SIZE=-1]Past Hot and Not: 2007 Hot & Not[/SIZE]
Who’s Hot …
Navy RB Shun White
It's only one game against an FCS team in Towson, but Navy looks like it'll keep the ground game rolling even with Paul Johnson off to Georgia Tech. The Midshipmen led the nation with 348 rushing yards per game last year, and ripped off 558 yards against Towson in the 41-13 win. The star of the show was Shun White, who ran for 348 yards and three touchdowns on just 19 carries averaging 18.3 yards per carry. Ball State, who was 106th in the nation in rushing last year, is up next.

East Carolina QB Patrick Pinkney
There were hopes for Pinkney to grow into a leader and a main playmaker for the East Carolina offense, and he came through big-time in the season opener against Virginia Tech. In the upset, the senior completed 19 of 23 passes for 211 yards and a touchdown, and ran 11 times for 24 yards and a score in the upset win. The Pirates play West Virginia next week.

Buffalo QB Drew Willy
A Buffalo quarterback is leading the nation in passing efficiency? Even if it's only after just one game, it's a big moment for UB football, one of the worst programs in the country for so many years. Willy, a senior, has a passer rating of 261.02 after completing 10 of 16 passes for 221 yards and four touchdowns in the stunning 42-17 win over UTEP. The Bulls play Pitt next week.

Nebraska PK
Alex Henery from 44 yards outThe Husker sophomore made good on all four of his field goal attempts in the 47-24 win over Western Michigan. In the second quarter from 44 yards ... good. Last in the second quarter from 44 yards ... good. Midway through the third quarter from 44 yards ... good. 5:22 in the fourth quarter ... good. Four kicks. 44 yards each. All good.

Supposedly non-passing quarterbacks
Casey Dick was most famous for his 3-for-17, 29-yard performance against LSU two years ago, and for handing off to Darren McFadden and Felix Jones. It might have been just one game against Western Illinois, but Dick took to the new Bobby Petrino offense throwing for 318 yards and two touchdowns in the 28-24 win. In St. Louis, Illinois was a decided underdog against a superior Missouri team, and even though the Illini lost 52-42, it might have been the coming out party for QB Juice Williams. Without Rashard Mendenhall, this is Williams' team, and he showed it by completing 26 of 42 passes for 451 yards and five touchdowns with two interceptions, and only running for 10 yards, in the impressive performance. Illinois plays Eastern Illinois next, while Arkansas gets UL Monroe.
Who’s Not … The ACC
Get ready for everyone to pile on the basketball conference. The biggest gaffe was Clemson's lifeless loss to Alabama. Basically, the projected best team in the ACC got wiped up with an SEC team that's expected to finish in the middle of the pack. Of course, Virginia Tech losing to East Carolina wasn't a plus, NC State getting shut out by South Carolina hurt, Virginia getting obliterated at home by USC wasn't fun, and Maryland and North Carolina struggling to get by Delaware and McNeese State, respectively, made a bad weekend look worse.

The Big East
Going into Monday night's battle between Rutgers and Fresno State, the Big East was 4-0 this weekend ... against FCS teams. Oh sure, Connecticut, Cincinnati, West Virginia and South Florida combined to win their games against the minor leaguers by a combined score of 179 to 38, but when the league had to sit at the adult table, it couldn't handle it going 0-3. Northwestern beat Syracuse, Kentucky beat Louisville, and worst of all, Bowling Green beat Pitt as the league lost those three by a combined score of 84 to 29. However, Cincinnati can change the conference's image in a big hurry by beating Oklahoma next week, or at least making it interesting, while West Virginia has to blast East Carolina and South Florida has to beat UCF with ease.

Hawaii vs. the SEC
Hawaii went 12-0 last regular season and was on a run of 22 wins in 23 games. And then came the Sugar Bowl and a 41-10 loss to Georgia. The Warriors weren't supposed to start out hot going against Florida, and they didn't in the 56-10 loss. So, in the last two games, Hawaii lost by a combined score of 97 to 20, and the games weren't even that close.

The NC State passing game
There were some bad numbers and some bad moments over the course of the first weekend, but few units were as inept as the NC State passing game against South Carolina in the 34-0 Thursday night loss. Before getting knocked out with a concussion, Russell Wilson completed just one of five passes for 12 yards. Daniel Evans completed four of 12 passes for 37 yards and two interceptions, and Harrison Beck missed all three of his throws. William & Mary is next.

San Diego State
There were some close calls in FBS vs. FCS games, but they were mostly the blowouts everyone expected. San Diego State vs. Cal Poly was the one exception. The Mustangs are have enough talent to be in the national title hunt, and it showed it by being the one FCS team to beat a FBS team. Chuck Long goes from being on a hot seat to a double secret probation hot seat making next week's game at Notre Dame even more important.

5 Thoughts ... Sept. 1
Five Thoughts: 2007 Thoughts
Fine, you spend the next 30 years in Norman, Oklahoma.[FONT=verdana, arial, sans serif][SIZE=-2]By Pete Fiutak [/SIZE][/FONT]
1. Does the sports world have any real idea just how amazing and untouchable Joe Paterno’s record of 373 wins at the same D-I/FBS school is? This is a very good, very unappreciated Penn State team that should finish with at least eight wins this year, and with the right breaks, this could be a ten-win team. Say this is an 8-5 season after the bowls and JoePa finishes the year with 380 wins at the school. Now, find the best combination of youth and success in the game right now, probably Wisconsin’s Bret Bielema, who’s 38 years old with a 22-5 record after beating Akron this week. To beat Paterno’s mark, Bielema will have to average, AVERAGE, 11 wins a season for the next 32 years, and that’s assuming Paterno is done after this season. Say Bielema averages a solid nine wins a year for the rest of his career. He’ll have to coach close to 40 more seasons, and would be close to 80 years old, to beat the man.

For another example, take Bob Stoops (please), who turns 48 on September 9th. With a 98-22 record at Oklahoma, Stoops has averaged close to 11 wins a season so far, and is likely to hit the mark again this year. To beat Paterno's record, Stoops will have to stay in Norman for more than 28 years to be in the hunt, and he'd be around 75 by the time he'd be close.

In other words, enjoy the history while it’s happening before the anti-Joe backers try to boot him out. You'll never see these many wins by one coach at one elite college football school ever again.

Dumping the Pitt
By Richard Cirminiello

Shame on everyone—present company included—who gave way too much credit to Pittsburgh in the offseason. Saturday’s lethargic 27-17 loss to Bowling Green in front of a stunned home crowd was Exhibit A, B, and C that the Panthers aren’t getting over the hump as long as Dave Wannstedt is on the sidelines. This was supposed to be the year that Pitt broke through, but no one gave enough of a look at an offensive line that’s trying to break in current pros Jeff Otah and Mike McGlynn. Or enough analysis of Wannstedt, who’s been a major disappointment as a head coach in the pros and with three years at his alma mater. Bowling Green is a nice MAC program, but with expectations soaring in Western Pennsylvania, this was a game the Panthers had to have in order to keep the positive offseason vibe going strong. Now, after suffering one of the most embarrassing losses of the opening weekend, Pitt might need to win the Big East to keep Wanny off the unemployment line.

Talent, Schmalent By Matthew Zemek

3. The first Saturday of the 2008 season reminded us is why recruiting... and rankings... and assessments of (only) the physical aspects of players are so woefully limited in their ability to predict a team's fortunes.

Lots of folks claimed that the Pitt Panthers would be really good this season... BCS bowl good.

For a team that's been downright mediocre over the past few years, throughout the entirety of the Dave Wannstedt era, it seemed like a very curious wave of distinctly unmerited hype. This was not a program that seemed likely to suddenly become a big, bold bad boy in the college football cosmos.

Saturday afternoon at Heinz Field in Pittsburgh, the hype-meisters and big-talkers were put in their place, as the home team suffered an ugly and crushing loss to Bowling Green: ugly because of all the turnovers, missed kicks, and dropped passes; crushing because of all the unearned praise lavished upon the Panthers before they did anything to deserve such veneration.

In life, it is said that a leopard doesn't change its spots.

In college football, the spots that don't change belong to the Panthers of Pittsburgh.

As is the case with Texas Tech (we'll see how that program handles the hype in 2008), it is wise to see legitimate and credible proof of an ascendancy before daring to predict it.

Relax ... Pitt will be fine. Uh, really. Maybe.
[FONT=verdana, arial, sans serif][SIZE=-2]By Pete Fiutak
[/FONT][/SIZE] [FONT=verdana, arial, sans serif]
[/FONT]. Remember everyone, this is week one. Week one. These are 18-to-22-year-old kids who don’t get preseason games like the pros, and they get roughly a quarter of the practice and film room time of the NFLers. That’s not to say Pitt shouldn’t have beaten Bowling Green, or Texas A&M shouldn’t have beaten Arkansas State, but the Panthers and Aggies are hardly finished products. It's not like the Panthers lost a conference game, like Oregon State did to Stanford, to inspire a full-blown panic mode. They could quickly start to play up to their talent level, beat Buffalo, and turn everything around. It's not like Pitt was going to be playing for the national title. There are three weeks before dealing with Syracuse in the Big East opener. There are three weeks before the real season starts. Win the Big East title, go to the Orange Bowl, forget about Bowling Green. (Or best Buffalo, get blasted by Iowa, lose to South Florida by 30, and end the season by mid-October. This is Pitt, after all.)

Utah is a tight, veteran team that’s healthier than it was at the end of last season when it was red-hot over the second half, while Michigan’s offense is all but starting from scratch. Don’t shovel dirt on the Wolverines just yet; remember what they did as last year went on.

Don’t get too hung up on what happened. It’s easy to go overboard with love after finally getting to see teams hit the field, and it’s way too easy to assume as season is over, like Clemson’s, even though there’s still everything to play for. If the Tigers go ballistic and play like they’re supposed to the rest of the way, the loss to Alabama could quickly be diminished in the BCS rankings. Remember, the human polls tend to punish later losses and forget the ones that happen in August.

With that said, the big wins can set the tone. Now, Utah is a possible BCS buster. Alabama is expected to be a player in the SEC race, and Stanford all of a sudden appears to be dangerous. Coaches should be able to spin week one any way they want to when it comes to motivating their teams, but that only matters if everything goes right in week two.

Read this in under 40 seconds
[FONT=verdana, arial, sans serif][SIZE=-2]By Steve Silverman
[/FONT][/SIZE]
5. Why is it that they are always changing the rules in college football? A couple of years ago it was that ridiculous rule that kept the clock moving following a change of possession. It took them one season to get that off the books. This year it's the one that keeps the clock moving on an out-of-bounds play once the ball is declared ready for play--except for the last two minutes of the half or the game. This is just to mimic the NFL or supposedly move the game faster. That's ridiculous. When a team is trailing and trying to mount a comeback, it needs every break possible. The game is fine the way it is. Quit tinkering with the rules.

Houston will miss UTEP game

from Bevo Beat
Lamarr Houston will miss this Saturday’s road game against Texas El Paso as a result of his arrest early Sunday for driving while intoxicated.
Houston. the starting defensive tackle, apologized to his teammates Sunday night.
He was arrested and booked into Travis County Jail hours after the Longhorns won their season opener, 52-10 over Florida Atlantic.
Houston was involved in a minor, two-car wreck at approximately 3 a.m. Sunday. Police said he flunked a field sobriety test and was arrested.
Houston totaled three tackles, including two for losses, against Florida Atlantic.
Aaron Lewis will start in Houston’s place.

No new discipline for Houston

from Bevo Beat
Longhorn coach Mack Brown said Monday that he would not be announcing any more disciplinary actions against defensive tackle Lamarr Houston, who was arrested early Sunday on a drunken-driving charge after a wreck.
Brown said he would continue to evaluate the situation before taking more action. Houston will practice with the team this week but will not travel to El Paso.

<table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr><td class="col0">Maclin's injury not serious

• Missouri's All-American has an ankle sprain but could play this weekend
  • Maclin was carted off the field Saturday after injuring his left ankle
  • The sophomore wideout is expected to try to practice Tuesday
</td></tr></tbody></table><table class="cnninlineright" align="right" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr><td>
</td></tr></tbody></table>COLUMBIA, Mo. (AP) -- Missouri All-American Jeremy Maclin could play this weekend despite being carted off the field during Saturday's win over Illinois with a sprained left ankle.
An MRI exam revealed a slight injury to the tendon in the ankle, school spokesman Chad Moller said Monday. Maclin is probable for Saturday's game against Southeast Missouri State.
Maclin, a sophomore who had a 99-yard kickoff return and 234 yards in all-purpose yards for the No. 6 Tigers, is expected to try to practice on Tuesday.
Maclin was injured away from the play early in the fourth quarter, pulling up after taking a few steps on a pass pattern. He covered his face with a towel while being carted off the field from the Missouri sideline, but returned a few minutes later with crutches and his foot wrapped in ice.
Maclin missed the 2006 season with a knee injury.

<table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr><td class="col0">Auburn's offense banged-up

• Auburn has three injured wide receivers and an injured QB
  • Promising freshman receiver Philip Pierre-Louis is out for the year
  • QB Kodi Burns will miss practice but should play Saturday
</td></tr></tbody></table>AUBURN, Ala. (AP) -- Auburn's offensive tally through one game: three injured receivers, one hurt quarterback and quite a few bruised egos.
Promising freshman receiver Philip Pierre-Louis tore a knee ligament returning the opening kickoff of the 10th-ranked Tigers' 34-0 win over Louisiana-Monroe and is lost for the season, coach Tommy Tuberville said Sunday.
Quarterback Kodi Burns is expected to miss Monday's practice after a large gash was opened on his shin by a facemask in the third quarter, but will play Saturday against Southern Mississippi. Tuberville said Burns had no swelling on the leg at all Sunday.
Starting receiver James Swinton hyperextended his knee on the next play and didn't return but shouldn't miss a game. Montez Billings (hamstring) missed the opener and is questionable again, Tuberville said.
Despite an ineffective passing game, Tuberville said the Tigers will stick with rotating Burns and Chris Todd at quarterback at least for one more game before the Southeastern Conference season starts.
The Tigers got 321 yards rushing but most of their 85 yards through the air came in the fourth quarter in the debut of Tony Franklin's spread offense. Only three of their 19 first downs came through the air.
Burns, Todd and the remaining receivers struggled. Tuberville said the quarterbacks never found their rhythm and the receivers need to improve on running their routes.
"I looked up and we've got 28 yards passing in the first three quarters, as much as we've worked on the passing game," Tuberville said. "That obviously wasn't what we were looking for. It will definitely get better. When you've got a good running game, it gives you a good start."
Franklin said Pierre-Louis had made the most plays of all the receivers during fall camp and Swinton had been the most consistent.
Franklin said both quarterbacks would play against Southern Miss, but wouldn't necessarily alternate every series again. Burns passed for just 15 yards while running for 69; Todd threw for 70 yards with a touchdown and an interception.
"The quarterbacks were both just blah," Franklin said. "They were average. I did a poor job of coaching them and it showed.
"Probably the biggest thing was that neither one of them ever got into a rhythm and that's my fault, the way I rotated them. We're going to play them both again, but I'll probably have a different way of rotating them. If one guy goes good, then he may stay in forever."
Franklin said he felt both quarterbacks were nervous thinking that one mistake could end their night. This platoon situation is as new to him as it is to the players.
"I've never done this before," he said. "I've always said you're stupid if you do it. It's funny how the world works. Be careful what you say, because one day it'll come back to you."
Franklin said a number of downfield routes were called but either the receivers didn't get open or the quarterback didn't pull the trigger.
"I don't think either one of them felt that trust factor, and probably because of (the fear that), 'If I make the bad throw or the bad decision, it might be my last one,"' he said. "I've got to get that out of their heads."

You've got to start somewhere.

from Hey Jenny Slater. by Doug

Right off the top of my head, I can only remember one time -- the South Carolina game, 2003 -- when I've gone up to Athens expecting to be able to secure a ticket to a game but ended up empty-handed. As of this past Saturday, though, there are two. Tickets to the Georgia Southern game -- Georgia Southern, people -- were going for prices I haven't seen in years, maybe ever. Usually I'm accustomed to walking around campus an hour or so before game time and seeing characters of varying degrees of shadiness walking around with fistfuls of tickets, but on Saturday they were outnumbered three-to-one by the people holding nothing in the air but fingers, and the people who had tickets to sell weren't letting them go for anything less than $125, even mere minutes before kickoff. Georgia fans, welcome to High Expectations, population you: Nobody gets a glimpse of the number-one team in the country for cheap these days, even when all they're doing is folding their laundry.

Well, Georgia Southern wasn't quite as easy to take care of as laundry, but it didn't appear to be that much harder, either, not by the time the Dawgs ran up a 38-0 lead midway through the third quarter. That score by itself didn't give an entirely accurate picture of the game thus far -- Georgia, as is their custom in these types of games, got several scores off of short drives thanks to turnovers and/or nice special-teams plays, while Southern didn't completely roll over and die right away, managing a couple nice drives into Georgia's red zone that came up empty. But if that score was a little deceiving, then so was the final, with Southern's late scoring flurry (three TDs in the final 20 minutes) coming against a Georgia team by then composed mostly of second- and third-stringers.

So I guess you could say the final score ended up being every bit as ho-hum as I predicted it would be, if not more so, but there was a lot to like, or at least get excited about, in Georgia's performance. Caleb King and Knowshon Moreno look like they're going to be a fine tandem in the backfield, together averaging 7.7 yards per carry; Stafford only got sacked once, and his scrambling ability nearly got him back to the line of scrimmage and saved it from being a sack at all; and while the defense was guilty of the usual raft of dumb procedural penalties you'd expect in the first game of the season, they still held Southern to 290 total yards, at least 180 of those coming late in the game after Richt started pulling people off the bench. Then there was rookie kicker Blair Walsh, who only got one field-goal opportunity but made it count -- a successful 52-yarder at the end of a drive where Georgia had set themselves up in great field position but hadn't been able to go anywhere with it. I don't know what it's like inside the mind of a kicker, and from what I've heard I probably don't want to, but that's got to be a confidence-builder for a kid attempting only his second meaningful placekick in a Georgia uniform, and the crowd responded accordingly.

Nothing, however, caused a bigger cheer to rise up out of the beer-soaked, air-conditioned confines of the Georgia Theatre than the crowning (collaring?) of Uga VII as the latest in our proud line of mascots. Well, maybe one thing: true freshman A.J. Green's first reception as a Georgia Bulldog, the 36-yard rocket from Stafford that set up Georgia's first score. Yeah, I know, it was only Georgia Southern, but if you're a Georgia fan you've been waiting years to see a hookup as clean as that one: Stafford spotted him almost immediately over the middle and threw it maybe just an eensy bit high, but certainly not high enough that Green couldn't get it, because he hopped into the air a little, in stride -- and if you could've paused the game at that moment it would've looked like the beginning of those old Warner Brothers cartoons where they'd freeze-frame Road Runner over the caption "Road Runner (Speedius maximus)" or something -- and took the ball out of the sky as calmly as if he were selecting a box of cereal off the top shelf at Publix. It's too early to call him the game-breaking receiver Georgia fans have been pining for, but he at least looks like he's interested in the job.

The one big problem that needs to be addressed, of course, has nothing to do with the actual play on the field but rather someone who evidently won't be playing on the field for the rest of this season, and that's Jeff Owens, the DT who's one of my favorite Georgia players and probably the most experienced player on the defense. He's gone for the rest of the season thanks to an ACL tear, and it really sucks that it had to happen in a game that was as meaningless in the final accounting as this one was. Over the course of the Mark Richt era, fans have gotten accustomed to some incredible depth on defense (recall that last year's D only had three starters returning, and Paul Oliver was one of them); I guess we'll find out how much depth we have over the course of the next few games. By itself, Owens's injury isn't necessarily a season-killer any more than Trinton Sturdivant's was on the other side of the ball, but to have those both occurring within a few weeks of each other . . . well, God owes us a Coke at this point, at the very least.

So it wasn't a perfect day in the game-playing, ticket-getting, game-watching or not-getting-hurt departments, but we won, we didn't do anything that would horrify the people who'd voted us #1 in the country, and perhaps most importantly, I get to experience gameday in Athens once again. If tickets don't get cheaper anytime soon, that may be the only thing I end up experiencing, but I'll take it.

· Atlantic Coast Conference, time of death, 11:35 p.m. Saturday. With N.C. State starting the new season Thursday night in exactly the same fashion that they'd finished the last one, Virginia Tech getting embarrassed in Charlotte by a team whose top goal coming into this season was making it to the Conference USA title game, and Clemson lapping the rest of the field in the Worst Way for a Top-10 Team to Start Their Season Award, the ACC's biggest accomplishment on opening weekend was Wake Forest going down to Waco, Texas, and slugging the worst team in the Big 12. I don't think it's too early to declare the ACC's hopes to claim superconference status already dead for yet another year; I do think it's too early to declare Clemson this year's version of Tennessee '05, but all the pieces are there: lofty preseason ranking, glare of bright lights glinting off shiny offensive skill players blinding people to deficiencies on the lines, unable-to-rise-to-the-occasion coaching, too much orange . . . In a roundabout way, the well-documented habit of performing best when expectations are low -- which killed them Sarurday night -- might be their best hope now, because expectations don't get much lower than they are for the Tigers at this point.

The thing is, starting the Tommy Bowden Death Clock would still be a little premature even after that loss, because they've still got a shot at an ACC title. But that title just went from a should-win to a must-win for Bowden, because while a BCS berth is the kind of thing that can make you forget about a season-opening ass-kicking at the hands of what everyone thought would be a midpack SEC team, a Peach Bowl isn't, and that's the best postseason gift the Tigers have managed to secure for themselves in nine seasons under Bowden's care. Even before the drubbing under the Georgia Dome, though, I thought the margin between Clemson and the next-best team in the conference, Wake Forest, was razor-thin; now, to my way of thinking, Wake has become the favorite to win the league title. Which, after Wake's thrilling 9-6 win in the 2006 championship game, is something that I'm sure thrills the ACC Powers That Be to no end.

· Not that every single team in the SEC necessarily came out smelling like a rose -- Bobby Petrino and Sylvester Croom, in particular, have some 'splaining to do this morning -- but the upper-echelon teams all took care of business, with most of the few remaining question marks belonging to Auburn. No, nobody's going to be too embarrassed by a 34-0 win, but Tony Franklin's pass-happy offense didn't look the least bit happy passing, and the Tigers aren't just going to be able to shrug their shoulders and drop 321 rushing yards on someone once conference play starts. Wasn't Franklin's spread system -- the version he implemented at Troy, anyway -- supposed to be based around short, high-percentage passes? And what does it say about Auburn's two QBs that they were collectively under .500 in hitting those? I'm not too humble to say I've been a lot more skeptical than most people seemed to be about Auburn's prospects this year under two new coordinators, and while you can't draw too many conclusions from one game, particularly when it's ULM, the Tigers only have one more game for the light bulb to go on. Then they enter a three-week gauntlet of Mississippi State, LSU, and Tennessee, any one of which has a defense capable of making Auburn regret putting a one-dimensional offense on the field.

Two whole offensive touchdowns! Yeah, I totally meant to do that.

· Other than that, not many surprises Saturday -- Pittsburgh's and Texas A&M's losses to Bowling Green and Arkansas State, respectively, were probably the biggest upsets of the weekend other than the ones already mentioned, but I can honestly say I wasn't on Pitt's bandwagon to begin with, nor did I think A&M looked particularly talented coming into this season. The Aggies, in particular, are going to have a hell of a time this year -- if they can't get past Arkansas State, then they're going to be a light snack for Oklahoma, Texas, and Texas Tech, probably even Oklahoma State. Somehow I think "battling with Baylor for fifth place in the division" is not what they had in mind when they hired Mike Sherman last year.

· As for the picks that I inflicted on the world last week via Dr. Saturday's blog . . . well, Temple did blow Army off the field on Friday night, and Southern Cal turned out to be the right pick for the "lead-pipe cinch" category in destroying Virginia 52-7, but none of the other picks were kind enough to stand up for me, the most egregious errors being FAU's 52-10 loss to Texas (so much for thinking the Owls were ready to put up a respectable performance against a BCS-conference opponent) and, of course, Clemson's evisceration in the Georgia Dome. I've already received word that police found a note attached to a body that plummeted off the 54th floor of the Westin Peachtree Plaza early Sunday morning, and it read, "Screw you, Mr. Hey Jenny Slater guy, for making me think it was OK to BET MY HOUSE on Clemson minus five and a half." For that reason, Dr. Saturday informs me that we're going to be "retooling" my picks column going forward so that stuff like this doesn't happen in the future.

· UAB Blazers watch: Shockingly, UAB actually led Tulsa, the defending C-USA Western Division and GMAC Bowl champs, 22-21 at the half; then the wheels came off and the Golden Hurricane scored 24 unanswered points after the break. Personally, with an actual hurricane potentially poised to batter the Alabama coast even as I write this, that was a horribly insensitive thing to do. Tulsa, you ought to be ashamed of yourselves.

Very classy, Tulsa. I suppose you think this is funny?

· Wofford Terriers watch: The mighty Terriers started slow against Presbyterian on Saturday, but got in gear in the second quarter to beat the Blue Hose 38-21. Yes, Prebyterian's mascot is the Blue Hose, which begs all sorts of questions: Is it hose like a garden hose, or hose like stockings? If it's the latter, whose are they, and why is she so important that her underthings get to be the mascot for an entire football team? Either way, Presbyterian, that's a dumb mascot, and you ought to be ashamed of yourselves for bringing that weak-ass shit onto the same field that hosted the best mascot in I-AA. Of course, maybe I just misread Presbyterian's ESPN page and their mascot is actually the Blue Hose, in which case they're still not as good as the Terriers but get their Mascot Coolness Meter moved a couple notches over toward Awesome just the same.

· The Cheerleader Curse Watch officially begins next week -- technically the most recent Cheerleader of the Week on SI.com was this chick from Arizona, but clearly a preseason CotW pick has no effect whatsoever. But now that the regular season has started, I'm confident that future CotW selections -- for the next of which I'm nominating one of these lovely young ladies -- will be crushing their teams' hopes and dreams right on schedule.

Out for scalps with Fresno State

By Matt Hinton
ept_sports_ncaaf_experts-419185480-1220282920.jpg
If Fresno State followed the typical underdog route to the mountain top and only had Rutgers and a string of tomato cans before hitting the even softer WAC schedule, getting by the Knights would be the defining standard bearer of the Bulldogs' resumé as a BCS party-crasher. Instead, its cross-country trip is only the first of a string of tests for Fresno: even if they do pull the minor upset in Piscataway, there's still Wisconsin and a trip to UCLA waiting before September is out. If there's even a chance this is The Season we've been breathlessly anticipating since Pat Hill first mustached his way into our hearts with his reckless, road warrior scheduling, we'll know by tonight.
The Knights have developed into an exceptional pass rushing team under Greg Schiano (41 sacks last year and seven games with three or more QB takedowns), but the tradeoff in being lighter and quicker up front is less muscle against the run -- even including negative sack yardage, Rutgers allowed five 200-yard rushing games last year, to Navy, Maryland, West Virginia, UConn and Louisville, and were also pushed around to a lesser extent by Cincinnati and even Ball State in the bowl game.
That's not a particularly encouraging trend to bring into a game against Fresno, which doesn't have a hulking offensive line -- the largest of the four returning starters is listed at a positively lithe 285 -- but did finish 2007 on an impressive roll on the ground. Excluding sack yards, the Bulldogs topped 200 yards in eight of their last nine games, including wins over non-WACky Kansas State and Georgia Tech and in a to-the-wire shootout against conference overlord Hawaii.
FSU brings back three different running backs who went over 400 yards rushing, five of six receivers who had double digit receptions and a senior quarterback, Tom Brandstater, who when well-protected -- and he was sacked fewer times than any other passer in the WAC -- dramatically improved from a dismal debut in 2006 and might have a pro future.
ept_sports_ncaaf_experts-998274249-1220283045.jpg
So for Fresno, off the late, balanced routs of comparably Rutgers-esque foes K-State and Georgia Tech, the question is largely one of momentum. Rutgers has a much more tangible concern: though its experience lies in the passing game, with three-year starter Mike Teel and extremely productive Tiquan Underwood and Kenny Britt on the outside, the Knights' ascendency the last three years was always identified with the grinding, ball-control philosophy that naturally follows from the presence of a player like Ray Rice in the backfield. The passing numbers look good -- RU in '07 was the first non-video game team in NCAA history with a 3,000-yard passer, 1,000-yard rusher and two 1,000-yard receivers in the same season -- but the bulk of the passing success came against overmatched bottom dwellers, and on the rare occasions Rice was slowed (and sometimes when he wasn't, as in last year's win over South Florida) Teel could still look very erratic and lost in passing situations.
Ultimately, the passing games here might be a wash, but in addition to its star running back, Rutgers is also replacing three multi-year, All-Big East caliber behemoths (Jeremy Zuttah, Pedro Sosa and Mike Fladell) who combined for more than 100 career starts on the offensive line and were as much a part of Rice's success as Rice himself. The results with the reshuffled front and a committee of young, unproven backs have not been very impressive in camp, and the more the Bulldogs can force Teel to try to pick up the slack for Rice's absence, the better their odds of kicking off that quixotic BCS run on the right foot.
- - -
180px-FresnoStateBulldogs.png
FRESNO STATE 29, RUTGERS 23

Horns post-game conference:

<embed src="http://services.brightcove.com/services/viewer/federated_f8/1418565568" bgcolor="#FFFFFF" flashVars="videoId=1764144944&playerId=1418565568&viewerSecureGatewayURL=https://console.brightcove.com/services/amfgateway&servicesURL=http://services.brightcove.com/services&cdnURL=http://admin.brightcove.com&domain=embed&autoStart=false&" base="http://admin.brightcove.com" name="flashObj" width="486" height="412" seamlesstabbing="false" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" swLiveConnect="true" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/shockwave/download/index.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash"></embed>

Bevo Beat prediction contest: Week 2

from Bevo Beat
Ready to guess again? It’s time for the second installment of our weekly prediction contest. As usual, absolutely nothing is on the line — except pride.
I’m calling this one a good old-fashioned blowout. Sure, Mike Price likes to pass, pass, pass, and he’s got a young QB who can do it. And, sure, the Texas secondary is young. And, sure, the Texas D-line just took a blow (pardon the pun) with the DWI loss of Lamarr Houston.
Still … This could get ugly. My pick: Texas 63, UTEP 13. (Game will end about noon Sunday.)
Use the comment function below to send in your prediction.

Labor Day Headlinin': If they can't be made to respect Dan Hawkins, then they will fear him

By Matt Hinton
ept_sports_ncaaf_experts-666905161-1220270263.jpg
You can run, rookie, but you can't hide. Cody Hawkins was mostly sharp, hyped freshman Darrell Scott looked like he might take over the feature tailback role, after all, and the defense held Colorado State in check across the board -- all in all, not a bad debut for Colorado, which won by three touchdowns Sunday a game that hadn't been decided by more than seven points since 2001.
Scott led with 54 yards and a touchdown on eleven carries, a nice night for a kid who has no idea who he can trust, even on his own sideline:
"For a freshman, it felt great," Scott said. "I said a little prayer before the game and got the jitterbugs out. . . . I was sweating bullets — do good, don't fumble, watch out for coach Hawkins."
[Emphasis added]
Learn from the veterans, Darrell: you can avoid him for a while, but eventually, you'll have to get Hawk before he gets you. You can't look over your shoulder forever.
Bumps, bruises, twists and faces turning blue. All eyes in Columbus -- and L.A., and Vegas, and Bristol/Manhattan/The Magical Kingdom, which has much riding on Ohio State's apocalypse game with USC on Sept. 13 -- are on the impending update on Beanie Wells' bum foot, which, while not broken, could be anywhere on the foot injury scale between "sore but fine" and "probably gangrenous," according to the Columbus Post-Dispatch:
A team insider said that after immediate X-rays showed showed no broken bones, further evaluation indicated it likely was a soft-tissue injury to the forefoot. Such an injury could cause him to miss anything from just a week to the rest of the season.​
ept_sports_ncaaf_experts-872020926-1220270275.jpg

Jeremy Maclin, at least, appears likely to return to practice this week after his ankle injury -- a strained peroneal tendon (as if you had to ask) -- late in Missouri's win over Illinois. The Tigers have a series of tomato cans until opening Big 12 play against Nebraska on Oct. 4, though, so if there's so much as a twinge, expect Maclin to sit or have a quick hook against Southeast Missouri, and then Nevada and Buffalo, if necessary. It didn't look like the offense needed him too badly Saturday, anyway.
And Georgia, less than a month removed from losing their best offensive lineman for the year in practice, loses its best defensive lineman, Jeff Owens, to an ACL injury in the glorified scrimmage against Georgia Southern. The Dawgs are deep just about everywhere, including the middle of the line, but this hurts, anyway -- Kade Weston has eleven starts inside over the last two years, but he's not showing up on any All-SEC teams or projected as a first round draft pick.
Big Andre Smith, meanwhile, after shaking the Georgia Dome to the rafters by finally collapsing after limping around with a sprained knee in the second half of the Tide's win over Clemson, looks like he's going to be fine -- although when it's carrying 330 pounds, the knee is the one part of the body not to take for granted.
You ain't got no alibi. Louisville's averaged at least 34 points every year for the last five, but the Cardinals have a long way to go to get there again after scoring more turnovers than points in a 27-2 loss to Kentucky. Alleged scout favorite Hunter Cantwell, stepping in for his second career start after a career behind Brian Brohm, completed less than half his passes (20 of 43) and was picked off three times, while UK's defense took two Cardinal fumbles back for touchdowns.
Not that the Wildcats have much to celebrate after being shut down their own selves by the usually mediocre-to-lame L'ville defense and scoring its only touchdown on a two-yard "drive" following one of Cantwell's interceptions -- in fact, these two offenses combined for just 415 yards, fewer than either of them averaged last year. Louisville gets dissed for its lack of the usual playmakers in this morning's Courier-Journal, but if Kentucky's nearly unbroken string of last-place defensive efforts in the SEC are any indication, it's going to be a long fall all the way around in the Bluegrass State.
Quickly . . .
ept_sports_ncaaf_experts-986504374-1220270286.jpg
Texas defensive tackle Lamarr Houston will miss next week's game at UTEP for causing an accident while drunk in downtown Austin after UT's blowout win over Florida Atlantic. . . . Kansas dominated Florida International overall, but couldn't find much room to run against the Panthers, and Mark Mangino was not a happy man. . . . Nebraska's Cody Glenn made a smooth transition from running back to linebacker, so far. . . . James Winchester lived his dream of walking on the field in an Oklahoma uniform, and proceeded to snap the ball over the punter's head. . . . Texas Tech set an ignominious record with 18 penalties in its win over Eastern Washington. . . . After a lackluster offensive debut, Tony Franklin wants a true starting quarterback to make himself known, pronto (The Auburn Beat has rather dull Franklin video). . . . Florida's Percy Harvin and Brandon Spikes could be back in the lineup Saturday against Miami. . . . The quarterback derby at Cal is over, and Kevin Riley is the man. . . . Just one game in, Jordan Steffy may not hold on to the starting job under center for Maryland. . . . QB aspirant D'Vontrey Richardson stood out to Bobby Bowden in Florida State's last scrimmage. . . . And ex-Gamecock Syvelle Newton is selling his 11-song CD at South Carolina games. If anybody got a hold of one Thursday, please, please, pass a sampling this way.

The winning TD for Arkie St over Aggy. Check out both receivers get behind 3 DBs and get wide open.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/KyGbMiS8Iss&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/KyGbMiS8Iss&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Profiles in Disillusion: We should have seen the Tide coming

from Dr. Saturday - NCAAF - Yahoo! Sports by Matt Hinton
ept_sports_ncaaf_experts-300293105-1220291451.jpg
Conquered favorites and other notables picking up the pieces of shattered ambition this week:You don't even deserve to run down a hill. Nobody is feeling the sting of the pundits' backlash like the ACC, and the fickle whip of the same opinion makers that made them a near-unanimous top ten pick is splattering poster boy Clemson's wounds across the front page of virtually every national site:
ACCidents will happen
Bowden's loss so ugly, Rodriguez and Wannstedt look (almost) good
Clemson can't rid itself of the underachiever label
• "...they blew it. In embarrassing fashion."
Bowden reverses trend, decides to start big game choking early this year.
As the guys at Block C suggest protecting their sacred hill from this ne'er-do-well outfit, a thousand Clemson skeptics are still hooting at the shortsighted fools who bought into the Tigers as a potential power, and especially the oblivious line of the week by Tommy Bowden:
“You have to take human error into it,” Bowden said. “Sometimes, you can’t predict psyche.”​
Actually, coach, that's exactly the kind of thinking that got us into this jam in the polls. Because most people who took a guess at Clemson's psyche were exactly right.
On the message boards: Soul-searching, ultimatums, resilience, and depressing math.
Serenity now, then the blame game. Angst Master Brian Cook avoids kittens and, along with Varsity Blue and the Wolverine Liberation Army (sort of), is in fact very zen about a loss that went about as his extensive analysis suggested it would for the boatloads of Wolverine freshmen and other fresh-faced unknowns on offense. But Chris Burke at The Diag has a handy scapegoat at the ready:
You can blame just about anyone for yesterday's loss.​
That includes Lloyd Carr.
Look, I don't want to rehash all the criticism of the previous coaching staff. I certainly don't want to take a bunch of cheap shots at a coach after he retired - especially a coach that did wonderful things at Michigan while running a clean program.
But look at this roster. Sure, it's not tailored for the spread, but how much better off would this team be if Carr was still around? Ryan Mallett would still be playing QB, Justin Boren would still be the offensive line.
And the Wolverines would still have a roster full of far less talent than a Michigan roster should have.
[...]
Quite frankly, it's shocking to see the lack of players ready for the prime time on this team. I cannot recall another Michigan roster so bereft of true starters, and that's making this whole situation that much harder. Rich Rodriguez faced a huge uphill fight in this first season as it was, what with completely changing the face of Michigan's program from the playbook on up.
ept_sports_ncaaf_experts-452068564-1220291466.jpg
Jim Carty runs down the production from the Wolverine running backs, and it is not pretty; offensive coordinator Calvin McGee tells the Detroit Free Press, "All the worries I had, I saw"; and The Diag can't believe there's still an 'or' by the quarterbacks' names on the depth chart.
On the message boards: Hubris, unexpected sympathy, and perspective.
I would get upset, but honestly, what's the point? Texas A&M allowed 145 yards rushing to Reggie Arnold, turned the ball over four times and didn't score on its last eight possessions against Sun Belt also-ran Arkansas State, which had been 0-15 against Big 12 teams since moving up from I-AA in 1992. So Aggie partisans are . . . numb?
We were walking on the way from Kyle Field to my brother's house after the game and I was telling him that I know how bad this game is going to look on paper and how much crap we're going to get from rivals, but for whatever reason I wasn't sick to my stomach like I have been in the past. Part of me is afraid that over the last 5 years I've been Fran-inized to where I'm just not shocked anymore.​
ept_sports_ncaaf_experts-192191922-1220291999.jpg
Continuing the theme, another commenter on a Dallas Morning News thread somehow argues something along the lines of, "At least Sherman didn't start out good," like some other coaches they know:
Bottom line is this - Sherman gets a bye this season regardless of the final record, just as Franchione did. Give Mike two seasons to import a good roster and establish a system then grade his performance. Remember, Fran beat Ark State in his first game... so what did that do for Fran?​
It appears Dennis Franchione actually killed the spirit of Texas A&M football. At least the Houston Chronicle's Terrance Harris is embarrassed enough to wonder where Arkansas State ranks on the worst losses in Aggie history. Oh, and Texas fans are very, very happy.
On the message boards: Doomsday scenarios, masochism, and acceptance and denial, at the same time.
Elsewhere in soul-crushing misery . . . Pitt Blather takes a look at the things that won't happen following the Panthers' loss to Bowling Green. . . . The petition is up to fire Brian Stinespring as offensive coordinator at Virginia Tech. . . . There's only one word to describe Mississippi State's loss to Louisville. . . . And Louisville's loss to Kentucky was like being stretched on a rack At least the defense was okay.

Covering UCF football is not a sexy job, but somebody has to -- OK, sometimes it is a sexy job

ept_sports_ncaaf_experts-434486338-1220363248.jpg
George O'Leary is a stolid, upstanding Catholic -- when it comes to at least nine of the Ten Commandments, anyway -- and therefore we're certain he was waiting patiently on the other end of the line with no idea whatsoever why reporters couldn't get through to the coach for his usual Monday teleconference:
UCF's scheduled media teleconference with football coach George O'Leary has been delayed this afternoon because the school accidentally gave out the number for a phone-sex line instead of the correct number for the teleconference.​
"Hi sexy!" media members calling the number were greeted. "You've reached the live, one-on-one fantasy line."
Just an "innocent typo," according to the Tampa Tribune's South Florida beat writer, Greg Auman, but he asks anyway: why do these little "accidents" never re-route callers to the local library? Actually, Greg, I'm sure there's a fetish line for bookish types, too, if you're into that sort of thing.
Actually, if I know beat writers -- and the Doc has known a few, and pretended to be one his own self in college -- I'd say their fantasies are more like scoring a decent spread of barbecue in a press box overlooking a rainy beach volleyball match. As long as you can steal glances at the USC game on a TV in the back.
In this case, though (assuming there was at least one female writer, camerawoman or intern in the room), the shocked and disgusted reporters no doubt repressed their yearning, hung up on the filthy connection immediately and returned to the wholesome banter of the newsroom with red faces . . . well, after, you know, making sure O'Leary wasn't just crossing his legs too tight or something. Hey, it's all in a day's work.

<table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr><td class="col0">Spurrier names Smelley starter

• Tommy Beecher started the opener against N.C. State
  • Beecher threw four INTs vs. the Wolfpack before Smelley took over
</td></tr></tbody></table>COLUMBIA, S.C. (AP) -- South Carolina coach Steve Spurrier says backup quarterback Chris Smelley will start Thursday night against Vanderbilt.
Spurrier says he made the decision after starting quarterback Tommy Beecher couldn't practice Monday because he couldn't lift his non-throwing shoulder.
But Spurrier concedes Smelley probably deserves to start even if Beecher was not injured.
Beecher threw four interceptions in his first career start last week against North Carolina State. The junior came out before the fourth quarter because he was hurt.
Smelley then completed all five of his passes and led the Gamecocks on three scoring drives.
Spurrier says freshman Stephen Garcia will likely be Smelley's backup unless Beecher's shoulder improves.

Tuesday Headlinin': Baggage? What 'baggage'? Plus: Sooners get medieval in club brawl

By Matt Hinton
ept_sports_ncaaf_experts-91391172-1220329909.jpg

You're too kind. Bring on the gushing love for Rick Neuheisel, who if nothing else assembled and/or maintained the staff that somehow beat touchdown-favorite Tennessee despite, well, let the L.A. Times break it down:
UCLA beat Tennessee with a third-string quarterback, an offensive line pieced together like a quilt, more true freshmen than you'd ever want to put on a field on opening day and a defense that was outweighed but obviously not outmatched.But wait, there's more. The Bruins did this with three offensive starters lost to injury: a running back, a tight end and a wide receiver.
"We went to the coin toss for overtime, and we only had two of the four captains we started with," Neuheisel said.
It's just great to be back at UCLA, baby, especially, as USC blogger Scott Wolf notes, when you raided the Trojans to slap it all together. The Neuheisel banner-wavers at Bruins Nation are predictably beside themselves, but Rick? Rick's just happy to be here.
Tennessee fans, meanwhile, know exactly where to place the blame for their disappointment (and maybe the online poll writers for the Knoxville News-Sentinel do, too):
ept_sports_ncaaf_experts-275004433-1220359502.jpg
In all fairness, it's hard to put this exclusively on Phil Fulmer and/or Dave Clawson -- how about geography? The SEC at large is just 2-6 in Pac Ten road games since the start of the decade. And if you consider that includes LSU's skin-of-the-teeth, special teams-induced, fourth down-heavin' win at Arizona State in 2005, it seems even worse.
Sooners stabbed. Remember those heady undergrad days? The late nights, cheap food and racing to the emergency room after a private club party that erupts into a melee involving guns, knives and tire irons? If so, you can probably sympathize with Oklahoma's Frank Alexander, who along with Sooner basketballer Ray Willis was stabbed in an all-out fracas at Serenade, aka "Sooner Knights," in the wee hours following OU's embarrassing rout of Chattanooga. The Oklahoman only cites one arrest Sunday morning, of a non-athlete charged with carrying a concealed weapon, though someone else was hit by a car at the scene.
It looks like Willis and Alexander are going to be okay, and Bob Stoops is "investigating" his young defensive end's involvement before levying carefully-considered justice that no doubt will placate both Sooner partisans and their rivals and render the incident a minor indiscretion over the course of the season, which sober message boards will treat accordingly as a mere footnote. In the meantime, let this be a lesson to you boys: when you party with the knights on campus, speeding for the hospital in a blood-splattered SUV is just about the best way the night can end.
OU also lost another backup defensive end: John Williams was in Louisiana helping his family evacuate over the weekend and [see comments -- ed.] apparently will leave the team because "mentally [he's] having a hard time staying with it," according to Stoops.
ept_sports_ncaaf_experts-245349060-1220357962.jpg
Quickly . . .
Virginia linebacker Aaron Clark will miss the rest of the season with a knee injury. . . . Florida's Louis Murphy is banned from talking to the media after calling Miami 'just Miami,' since everybody knows Florida is the real 'U'. . . . Texas end/tackle Aaron Lewis will play tackle full-time to replace suspended Lamarr Houston. . . . Missouri's still waiting on word on whether dinged-up stars Jeremy Maclin and William Moore will play Saturday against Southeast Missouri, but Danario Alexander will not, and phenom quarterback Blaine Gabbert might. . . . Beanie Wells' foot injury reminds some old hands of an old injury to Keith Byars. Who? . . . Paul Johnson does his best Mike Leach routine about fourth downs. . . . And Jimbo Fisher's not saying FSU's quarterback derby is actually a close race. He's just not saying anything.

The winning TD for Arkie St over Aggy. Check out both receivers get behind 3 DBs and get wide open.

<OBJECT height=344 width=425>

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/KyGbMiS8Iss&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></OBJECT>
</P>

that clip is insane....that looked like a high school secondary.

[FONT=verdana, arial, sans serif]Fiu's Cavalcade of Whimsy[/FONT][FONT=verdana, arial, sans serif][/FONT][FONT=verdana, arial, sans serif]
a.k.a. Frank Costanza's Festivus Airing of the Grievances [/FONT]
[FONT=verdana, arial, sans serif][SIZE=-2]

By Pete Fiutak
What's your beef? ... Fire off your thoughts
Past Whimsies
[/SIZE][/FONT] 2006 Season | 2007 Season
-
Preseason Cavalcade
If this column sucks, it’s not my fault … Rick Neuheisel declared that there’s no more football monopoly here. After what the coaching staff pulled off against Tennessee, he might be right.

“Good evening. Here is the news for Parrots. No parrots were involved in an accident on the M1 today when a lorry carrying high-octane fuel was in collision with a bollard. That's a bollard and not a parrot. A spokesman for parrots said he was glad no parrots were involved.” …
The challenge flag needs to be thrown on ESPN’s 15-year, $2.25 billion deal with the SEC. It’s one thing for a league to have its own network, like the Big Ten has, but it’s another to have one of the major media outlets be so intertwined both financially and logistically with one single college football conference. ESPN is it. This is the big bad boy on the block, and now that it has become ESPNSEC, all other leagues will be fighting a tough uphill battle to compete.

ESPN is an entertainment company, not a news service. It’s going to be all SEC football, all the time with shows, promos, and everything the big menace can do to milk every last dime out of this relationship. You can guarantee that the first three college football news items are always going to be SEC related, tied in to a slew of promos for other SEC shows, while the recruiting advantage will become even more unbalanced than most already think it is. And then there’s the money factor. $2.25 billion, when the trickle down effect occurs, means the SEC teams will have better facilities, better coaches, and better overall programs than anyone else can possibly come up with. In other words, if you’re a Big East or ACC team with national title dreams, take care of business now.

“You never trust a big butt and a smile” … Depending on which side of the fence you swing on, it was either a brazen, groundbreaking choice that might seem a bit radical, but could turn out to pay off in a big way, or it was a reckless, irresponsible selection that comes across more like a bad punch line. The interview process wasn’t nearly lengthy enough for some, while others champion the radical nature of the move considering new ideas are so desperately needed.

The high-level experience factor is an issue; there really wasn’t any to throw into the equation. The pro side praises the pick, mainly because they have to, even though they would’ve ripped the selection to shreds had it been made by the other side, while the naysayers are slightly worried that a new superstar might have just been unleashed on the scene. There were many safer, veteran prospects out there that could’ve come in and ensured a win right away, but this is a shot for the stars that was either pure genius or total madness. Yes, a year later, Minnesota fans are still trying to figure out the hiring of Tim Brewster.

And they’d probably think Vice President Cougar has something to do with Washington State … There’s no more myopic group of people on the planet than football coaches. They know their team, the team they’re playing this week, and that’s it. Anniversaries? Forget about it. The names of their children? Barely. The two running mates? Yeah, right, unless you’re talking about Davis and Spiller. I always ripped on coaches for this until I passed over to the other side this week. During Barack’s big speech, I literally spent six seconds wondering why Obama would alienate Florida, Tennessee and Alabama fans by saying, “You can’t truly stand up for Georgia when you’ve strained our oldest alliances.” Sadly, I’m not joking.
President, schmesident. OU might have lost a shot at the national title … It’s a toss-up in the You Lost, Move On battle between Oklahoma fans when asked about the 2006 loss to Oregon, Tennessee fans and the Charles Woodson-over-Peyton Manning for the Heisman debate, and the PUMAs who can’t accept that Hilary actually lost. If you really like a candidate that much, then vote that way. Want Hilary? Write her in. Want Romney, Gordon Riese, Daffy Duck? Vote that way. You have a better chance of winning the lotto 629 times than you do of making a spit of difference in the national election. There is no wasted vote unless you vote for me. I can’t say Ahmadinejad.

Maybe it was because I was a bit off kilter after playing the CNN “Historical Night” drinking game … I heard someone ranting and raving throughout the off-season that the Big 12, for this year and this year only, might actually be the better conference from top to bottom than the SEC. Oh wait, that was me. That’s why pencils have erasers. After the way Texas A&M did next to nothing in the loss to Arkansas State, and with Alabama embarrassing Clemson, Vanderbilt thumping a good Miami University team, and Kentucky stuffing Louisville, I humbly submit the paperwork back into the SEC is King lounge. I vow to never stray again.

You watched, and then you went back to looking for clips of skateboard kids crashing into things … While much was made of the pirated video that got close to 80,000 hits on YouTube of a Julio Jones touchdown catch in an Alabama scrimmage, give some credit and some love to John Parker Wilson. Jones made the play, but that throw was off Wilson’s back foot on a flick of the wrist 50-yard bomb that landed right on the money.

As opposed to Trevor Bennigan, who just gave up and left everyone hanging … It’s amazing that Alabama was able to move on offensively after losing, as Lou Holtz said, offensive coordinator Major Applebee.

McCrosky: Bad news, the fog is getting thicker.
Johnny: And Leon's getting laaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrger.” … Note to quickly expanding Wisconsin head coach Bret Bielema: State Street Brats offers a fine selection of salads and grilled sandwiches, too. There’s no need to go the Double Red Brat route, and definitely move past the Brat and Burger on one bun. The fantastic Badger head coach appears to be on his way to being Bill Parcells in more ways than one.

I believe Kobayashi has set the record with 19 consumed in three minutes … Last week I whined about a few bowls yelling at me for not including the sponsor every time the bowl was mentioned. However, I do solemnly promise to always, always promote anything you’re doing if it involves runty dogs, the word wiener, and a sponsor with the word Wienerschnitzel in the name. Once again, the Holiday Bowl (sorry, the Pacific Life Holiday Bowl), will have races to crown San Diego’s fastest wiener dog at the 12<sup>th</sup> annual Wienerschnitzel Wiener Nationals. There’s no truth to the rumor that the winner will be a four-point favorite over the Pac 10 team.

Maybe Jim Harbaugh was on to something … According to several reports, the Michigan players are having a hard time picking up the Rich Rodriguez offense. I can understand the problems with getting the timing down to run it at full speed, but aren’t Michigan players supposed to be smart? How many young players rocked the Casbah right out of the gate when RichRod was at West Virginia? So basically, not only is Michigan football bad right now, but the players just aren’t very bright. If you’re one of the self-proclaimed Leaders and Best, I’m not sure which one makes you grumpier.

“Dooley pantsed you. That's what he does. And when it happens, you pull up your pants and move on.” … It’s never a nice thing when someone gets fired. Fans might want to see inept and mediocre coaches get let go, but there’s more to it than that. There are the assistant coaches, who aren’t getting the mega-dollars the head men are, who have to uproot their lives and move their families to find work again. I used to feel bad for everyone involved when a head coach gets canned, but no more.

If you want to be a football coach, you’re going to be fired and you’re going to live a vagabond life. Job security is always going to be an issue, and if you have a family, it’s going to be moved around every few years unless you’re really, really lucky. You know exactly what you’re getting yourself into, and you know exactly what you’re going to put your family through.

I’m also under the belief that a weak or mediocre employee is being done a disservice by being kept around. Better to cut the cord and let the person figure out what else life has to offer rather than stringing the situation out to the inevitable conclusion. That’s why Clemson has to fire Tommy Bowden.

Oh sure, Bowden has done great things at Clemson, and he’ll still probably lead the team to the ACC title and a BCS bowl, but if the overall goal is to win a national title, then this just isn’t working out. Clemson can realistically set the expectations way too high considering the history, the recruiting base, the fan support, the facilities, and the mediocre BCS conference. If you think Bowden can’t get you to where you want to be, then move on. He’ll get a great gig somewhere else, while you need to find the right guy to take you where you need to be.

Fine, so the stats are a bit puffed up after a meaningless late drive. At least it was meaningless to those who don’t “invest” … Uh, Missouri, you do know that was Juice Williams who just threw for 451 yards and five touchdowns on your defense, right? Fortunately, things get easier … yeah, right. Of course Mizzou will beat SE Missouri State, but the RedHawks just threw for 387 yards in their opening game win over SW Baptist. Nevada’s Colin Kaepernick is one of the WAC’s up-and-coming quarterbacks, Buffalo’s Drew Willy leads the nation in passing efficiency after his performance against UTEP, and then the Big 12 season kicks in with all of the league’s great quarterbacks to deal with. Good luck with that.

Many are asking the same about the Mariners … Is Washington going to win a game? Considering Stanford doesn’t appear to be a doormat this year, this has quickly become a legitimate question. The Huskies weren’t remotely close to being competitive in a 44-10 loss to Oregon, and it’ll take a miracle to come within two touchdowns against BYU this week and four touchdowns of Oklahoma in two weeks. Find the sure-thing win on the schedule for a young team trying to find itself: BYU, Oklahoma, Stanford, at Arizona, Oregon State, Notre Dame, at USC, Arizona State, UCLA, at Washington State, at California. Ty Willingham’s bunch will probably beat the Cardinal and should be able to come up with wins over a team like Oregon State or UCLA at home, but this could be an epic disaster if the team plays like it did in Eugene.

The C.O.W. airing of the grievances followed by the feats of strength
Ten things I’m grouchy about this week.

10. Flashing score alerts for baseball scores during college football
Baseball is great from April through mid-August. Now it’s football season, and I don’t care if the Rays are up 7 to 3 on the Orioles. If Babe Ruth is up in the bottom of the ninth in the seventh game of the World Series and the Chicago Cubs need one out to win it all, then you can flash a SCORE ALERT … SCORE ALERT … SCORE ALERT at the bottom of my TV screen during a college football game. That’s it.

9. College Football Live fan feedback
Krusty: “What’s that say … talk to the audience!? Oh-ho God, this is always death.”

Have … a … point. One of my favorite parts of this job is hearing from the fans and getting a sampling of opinions and views from all across the college football landscape. I know firsthand how many interesting, knowledgeable fans are out there. That’s why there’s no need for ESPN’s College Football Live show to post Brad from Omaha’s musing about how Nebraska football is back. Oh, and by the way, Utah’s Brian Johnson deserves some love. Fans have the potential to make the show better and smarter, but that means the softball questions and chest-thumping quotes have to go.

8. Southern Utah WR Tysson Poots
I blame the people at Ellis Island (who screwed up the family name of Fintak and made it into Fiutak) for not forcing my great-grandparents to change their name to Poots after they got off the boat, and I blame my parents for not giving me a cool name like Tysson. If Chad Johnson can legally change his last name to Ocho Cinco, then I can change my name to Tysson Poots. Then I’d get all the chicks.

7. The Heisman watch
The Heisman discussion is exhausting enough (and sort of pointless, at least until November) without starting it now. Give the season a month or so to breathe and then we can all start getting into the preliminary Heisman talk. No, after one week, Arizona QB Willie Tuitama isn’t in the Heisman hunt. Neither are Juice Williams or Rudy Carpenter. On second thought, let’s just give it to Navy RB Shun White and move on.

6. Supposed top pro prospect quarterbacks
There was a time two years ago when Mel Kiper put up his rankings with Troy Smith as a possible No. 1 overall pick to the Oakland Raiders. According to the NFL scouts in the know, at the beginning of last season, Kentucky’s Andre Woodson was supposed to be a sure-thing first round draft pick. He went 198<sup>th</sup> overall and was cut by the New York Giants (and assigned to the practice squad). This year we’re supposed to believe that Louisville’s Hunter Cantwell is the best senior quarterback prospect out there, and then he comes out and leads the high-powered Cardinal offense to a big, fat zero in the loss to Kentucky. Just because a guy is tall, big, and can throw far that doesn’t mean he can play in the NFL. Cantwell has a delivery that starts sometime around Brian Brohm’s sophomore season.

5. GamePlan
The Midwest part of the country, which got the Michigan State – California game, was supposed to have the Clemson – Alabama game on one of the GamePlan channels. Nope. Because the Tiger-Tide game was supposedly national, and was offered on some Hi-Definition channels, it got screwed up and fans who were waiting all day to see the most hyped primetime matchup, and paid for the right to do so, missed out.

4. Assuming games are over
As Kate Bush would say, Don’t give up, please, don’t give up. The announcers were all but out getting a sake and seltzer early in the fourth quarters of the Illinois-Missouri, Michigan State-Cal and Utah-Michigan games. While the teams that were down all ended up losing, they came back to make things extremely interesting. With 11 minutes to play and Michigan driving, down 25-10, the announcers were going into filler mode about how Utah might go unbeaten and be a BCS buster. Don’t bury the games until they’re done.

3. The Just For Men, “It’s Time” ad
In case you haven’t seen the commercial, two cute young girls give their dad a box of Just For Men hair coloring solution and suggest it’s time for the old man to get rid of the gray and go out to get his groove on. The guy colors his hair, gets a date with a next-level babe, and the daughters are happy. I want to know the backstory. Did mom finally succumb to the advance of the FedEx man? Did everything change when she heard Samantha Ronson spin? Did the parachute not open? Why are the daughters so interested in daddy getting some yee-ha time? The world demands an answer.
Studio types sitting in the comfy chairs
Forgetting that the not-so-slim types (cough, John Saunders, cough) don’t exactly get their positives accentuated when they’re not sitting behind a desk, the new quirky schtick of putting the studio guys in comfy chairs, like they’re just a bunch of regular guys shooting the breeze about the day in college football while watching nine games at once, is way too forced and goofy. First of all, the ABC and ESPNers that did this kept their suit jackets on (and buttoned) while looking about as natural and comfortable as a pair of double-Ds on a 95-pound girl. Secondly, if you’re doing the same thing the rest of us are, why are we listening to you?

1. The fumble through the end zone/touchback rule
I’m not quite sure what the answer is, but it seems like the offense gets penalized way too harshly when a runner loses the ball through the end zone. It happened a few times this weekend with the biggest one coming at the end of the Oregon State – Stanford game when Beaver
WR Darrell Catchings fumbled the ball through the end zone trying to stretch the ball over the pylon with 47 seconds to play. Stanford got possession and held on to win. The rule doesn’t make a whole bunch of sense. You don’t lose possession if you fumble it out of bounds, so why such a tough penalty if it goes through the end zone? It’s not like a player gains any sort of an advantage. If there wasn’t any change of possession, spot the ball where the player fumbled it. The defense shouldn’t get a monster payoff for the runner dropping the ball.
Random Acts of Nutty … Provocative musings and tidbits to make every woman want you and every man want to be you (or vice versa).
- North Texas gave up 471 yards of total offense in a 45-6 loss to Kansas State. Next up for the Mean Green are Tulsa, LSU and Rice. Those three teams put up a combined to put up 1,526 yards in week one. Let’s put the over/under at 1,700 total yards over the next three games. Fortunately for UNT, FIU is on the slate to follow.
- Speaking of big numbers, UL Lafayette’s run defense is about to get pasted. The Ragin’ Cajuns gave up 427 yards to Southern Miss in the opener, and now it faces Illinois, Kent State and Kansas State.
- Sorry Nick Saban, you can’t have it both ways. You can’t come out and roll over a team with national championship dreams like Clemson had and then try to get everyone to keep their expectations in check. You don’t get that luxury. You’re supposed to win every time out now. That’s what you get paid for, and that’s life as the head football coach at Alabama.
- Officials, here’s the deal. You can call all the celebration penalties you want to when they’re obvious and warranted, but you have to swallow that whistle, even if a player sets off fireworks and makes balloon animals, on the really big plays.
- Something to put on the backburner as the season goes on; how is the BCS going to find ten BCS conference teams if there isn’t a “buster” like a BYU or Utah in the mix? Remember, only two teams from a BCS conference can get in, which screwed the Big 12 last year and the Big 10 two years ago. There shouldn’t be a problem finding two SEC and two Big 12 teams for the big money games, but it could be tough to come up with a worth second ACC, Big Ten, Big East or Pac 10 team if needed.
C.O.W. shameless gimmick item … The weekly five Overrated/Underrated aspects of the world
1) Overrated: Georgia losing Trinton Sturdivant ... Underrated: Georgia losing Jeff Owens
2) Overrated: Erin Andrews … Underrated: Stacey Dales
3) Overrated: Throwing four interceptions in the first half ... Underrated: Norm Chow
4) Overrated: Hard Knocks this year ... Underrated: The first three Hard Knocks series
5) Overrated: Gustav ... Underrated: Having to go through this same drill every time a storm is on its way for the rest of our lives.

“You know I'm born to lose, and gambling's for fools/But that's the way I like it baby, I don't wanna live forever” … The three lines this week that appear to be a tad off. I’m always, always going to go 1-2 with these picks. It’s what I do, and I refuse to ditch the bit. I press on.… 1) Iowa -27 over FIU, 2) Miami +22 over Florida, 3) Memphis -3.5 over Rice

Last Week: 1) Colorado State +11.5 over Colorado (lost), 2) Boston College -10 over Kent State (win), 3) Western Michigan +14 over Nebraska (lost)

Sorry this column sucked, but it wasn’t my fault … Florida Atlantic head coach Howard Schnellenberger called the column soft. It fired me up, but in the end, he was right.

Coaches still prefer Clemson to UCLA, and welcome back the Trojan love

By Matt Hinton
ept_sports_ncaaf_experts-739089188-1220397242.jpg
Two teams. Team A narrowly defeats a defending division champion and consistent powerhouse that came in ranked in the top 25 by every significant outlet, and by most insignificant ones. Team B is completely crushed by a supposedly borderline outfit with a 6-10 conference record the last two years and that barely snuck onto one of the major preseason ballots while being left out of the other entirely. So which team is "better"?
However the coaches in the USA Today poll define it, Team A -- otherwise known as UCLA, opportunistic conquerer of the coaches' 18th-ranked team in the preseason, Tennessee, on Monday night -- remains superior to Team B, Clemson, which demonstrated precisely zero positive attributes against the very same Alabama team the coaches narrowly omitted from their initial ballot. The Tigers come in No. 22 in the Coaches poll, released today, four spots in front of the Bruins, who head the "Also Receiving Votes" category at No. 26. What a country!
The AP avoids falling victim to the same formulaic shuffling ("they lost bad, so a ten-spot drop seems about right . . . ") by relegating Clemson to the also-ran bin and ascending the Bruins to No. 23. It also rewards Alabama's big win more robustly, bumping the Tide from unranked to No. 13, where the coaches move Bama from 24th to 17th.
There's one thing they can both agree on: Southern Cal is totally, totally awesome. Whatever reservations the pollsters had about the Trojans that kept them from ranking SC No. 1 last month were thoroughly absolved by the monsoon of cardinal and gold touchdowns in Charlottesville. And by "reservations," I mean "Mark Sanchez." The sometimes sketchy offense looked good enough for the coaches to slide USC ahead of Georgia into the top slot, and for the AP to pull the rare double jump, bouncing SC from third to first, ahead of UGA and Ohio State. The Trojans were brilliant pretty much all the way around, although maybe the voters also had Beanie Wells' foot and Georgia's big lineman injuries in mind. And they do know Virginia was going to be terrible no matter who the Cavs played, right?

<table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr><td class="col0">Tuberville: Todd will start at quarterback for Auburn

• Tuberville said he had planned to start Todd even before Kodi Burns was injured
  • Burns was cut on his left leg in the third quarter of the opener
  • Tuberville said Burns wouldn't play unless he's fully recovered
</td></tr></tbody></table>AUBURN, Ala. (AP) -- The Auburn Tigers are switching starting quarterbacks, but coach Tommy Tuberville has hardly declared a winner in the Kodi Burns vs. Chris Todd duel.
Todd will get the nod for the ninth-ranked Tigers Saturday against Southern Miss, but Tuberville said Tuesday that was part of the plan even before a leg injury put Burns' status in question. They're just taking turns.
Neither did much to resolve the battle in the opener against Louisiana-Monroe, when Burns started and they swapped series most of the game.
Burns had to get stitches to repair a cut on his left leg and missed a day of practice. On Tuesday, the mobile quarterback was mostly confined to the pocket handing off and throwing. If he isn't fully recovered, Tuberville said, he won't play.
"We're not going to put him in harm's way," Tuberville said. "I don't want him a sitting duck back there and them knowing he can't run around."
Especially since Burns threw for just 15 yards against ULM while running for 69.
If Burns can't go, that might open the door for Todd to put a solid claim on the job before the Tigers enter Southeastern Conference play. The opener left Auburn still searching for a long-term solution.
"In the future we're going to find a quarterback and somebody that's going to get the job done and give them a long leash," Tuberville said. "Of course, we'll have somebody else standing over there that can go in and play some plays or whatever. We haven't come up with that guy yet."
Todd didn't let slip to reporters that he would start against Southern Miss before Tuberville made his announcement. He said he didn't know how offensive coordinator Tony Franklin would rotate the two quarterbacks, but figures they'll be given a better chance to find a rhythm.
Todd said he expects Burns to be ready to go.
In the meantime, running backs Ben Tate and Brad Lester give a pretty good fallback plan.
"The running game looked really good on Saturday and I think we'll keep going with that," Todd said. "The thing is, offensively we throw the ball really well, I think. We just really need to get out there and get in a rhythm and do what we do every day in practice."
Franklin's newly installed spread offense didn't exactly have the crowd-pleasing success fans were hoping for. It did produce two touchdowns and two field goals -- the defense and special teams also scored TDs -- along with 321 yards rushing.
"It's like a coming out party," Tuberville said. "We've got a packed house out there looking at an offense that everybody was expecting to throw for 500 and run for 75. It didn't work."
The Tigers are hoping to get receiver James Swinton back from a knee injury, but Tuberville said he has to be able to practice by Wednesday to play. They are also hoping to get back receiver Montez Billings, who missed the opener with a hamstring injury.
Running back and return man Tristan Davis (ankle) has practiced full-speed the past two days and will play, Tuberville said. The return of Davis is good news for the Tigers, who lost freshman receiver/kick returner man Philip Pierre-Louis to a season-ending knee injury on the opening kickoff.
"We desperately need him, not just to play on offense, but also special teams," Tuberville said.

<table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr><td class="col0">Schools may move games due to Tropical Storm Hanna

• Coastal Carolina and Charleston Southern are considering moving their games
  • Officials at both schools say decisions have to be made by Wednesday
  • There is still much uncertainty about Hanna's track
</td></tr></tbody></table>COLUMBIA, S.C. (AP) -- Coastal Carolina and Charleston Southern are considering moving their home games Saturday because of Tropical Storm Hanna.
Officials at both schools say decisions have to be made by Wednesday to give opponents enough time to adjust.
The Chanticleers host Colgate at 7 p.m. Coastal Carolina coach David Bennett said officials are considering moving the game to Thursday or Sunday.
The Buccaneers host Wofford at 1:30 p.m. Charleston Southern coach Jay Mills didn't want to talk about contingency plans yet.
A number of coastal high schools have also moved games to Wednesday or Thursday.
There is still much uncertainty about Hanna's track, but forecasters expect it to strike somewhere in the Southeast by the end of the week.

<table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr><td class="col0">Hokies' Taylor to return, share QB duties with Glennon

• A week ago, Beamer named Glennon as his starter, and said Taylor would redshirt
  • But Tuesday, Beamer said the team needs to add a running presence
  • Glennon started Saturday when East Carolina upset the Hokies
</td></tr></tbody></table>BLACKSBURG, Va. (AP) -- Virginia Tech coach Frank Beamer says Tyrod Taylor is returning to share duties at quarterback with Sean Glennon.
One week ago, Beamer named Glennon as his starter, and said sophomore Taylor would redshirt this season.
But Tuesday in Blacksburg, Beamer said the team needs to add more running into its offensive attack and he was bringing Taylor back.
Glennon started Saturday when East Carolina upset the then No. 17 Hokies.
Beamer would not say who would start in Tech's next game or how he would divide the playing time.

<table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr><td class="col0">Oklahoma LB Box expected to play at Cincinnati

• Box missed the season opener against Chattanooga
  • He had arthroscopic surgery last month to repair torn cartilage in his left knee
  • Box was expected to be a starter before his injury
</td></tr></tbody></table>NORMAN, Okla. (AP) -- Oklahoma coach Bob Stoops expects outside linebacker Austin Box to be able to play this Saturday when the fourth-ranked Sooners host Cincinnati.
Box missed the season opener against Chattanooga after having arthroscopic surgery last month to repair torn cartilage in his left knee.
Stoops said Tuesday that Box had returned to practice and his playing time would depend on how he practices this week.
Box was expected to be a starter before his injury. Travis Lewis made his first career start in place of Box in the season opener, and junior college transfer Mike Balogun played in a backup role.

<table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr><td class="col0">Iowa QBs Christensen, Stanzi to continue platoon

• Christensen will make his 14th straight start
  • Christensen and Stanzi put up similar numbers in Iowa's 46-3 win over Maine
</td></tr></tbody></table>IOWA CITY, Iowa (AP) -- It looks like Iowa's quarterback platoon will continue for at least another week.
Iowa coach Kirk Ferentz says both Jake Christensen and Ricky Stanzi will likely play Saturday against Florida International.
Christensen will make his 14th straight start, but Stanzi will likely rotate in like he did last week against Maine.
Christensen and Stanzi put up similar numbers in the Hawkeyes' 46-3 win over the Black Bears. Christensen was 9-of-15 passing for 122 yards and one touchdown and one interception. Stanzi, a sophomore, went 9-for-14 for 90 yards.
Ferentz says the good news is that the Hawkeyes have gone from having one quarterback in 2007 -- Christensen -- to two this season. He says both Christensen and Stanzi are better players than they were a year ago.

Thus ended Tyrod's adventures in redshirting

By Matt Hinton
ept_sports_ncaaf_experts-446334189-1220385439.jpg
The $17.5 million question about Virginia Tech going into the opener with East Carolina was how many weeks Frank Beamer could withstand Hokie partisans shrieking in agony over the permanent presence of Sean Glennon at quarterback before he pulled the bizarre second-year redshirt off A-plus athlete Tyrod Taylor. I had the over/under at four, at least through Tech's first true road game at alleged upstart North Carolina.
The answer: one. Glennon's third-chance stint as The Man lasted one brutal week:

Head coach Frank Beamer said in a press conference earlier today, "We plan to play both Sean Glennon and Tyrod Taylor this weekend," he said. "I'll say this to you. I'm very hopeful Sean has a career in the NFL. That tells you what I think about his ability. "I think we need as a football team what Tyrod Taylor can do for us. As we played the game last week, it became apparent. The No. 1 need for us is to be a good running football team. For several different reasons that needs to be our strength and I think by putting a guy in the backfield that makes plays, he'll cause something to happen.
Of course, Glennon has consistently "made things happen": two costly interceptions and an aborted clock-killing drive that went three-and-out and set up the decisive blocked punt against ECU Saturday; two costly interceptions in January's Orange Bowl loss to Kansas; ten points in the regular season loss to Boston College that eventually stood between Tech and slot in last year's a mythical championship game; or three interceptions in the Hokies' collapse against Georgia in the '06 Chick-Fil-A Bowl. Glennon made all of these things and more happen, despite the best efforts of those around him.
He's also one of the prominent reasons the Hokies need to be "a good running football team," because they're not going to be a good passing team with a ludicrously inexperienced receiving corps and a fifth-year senior passer making no discernible signs of progress, and the equally young defense can use all the help it can get to keep it on the sideline. Taylor may not be a better passer, yet, but he has a better arm than Glennon, far more time to develop it, and in the meantime has the wheels to do some good otherwise. The smart money was always on the kid wresting the job for himself, and with the faint of heart still nervous over this "redshirt" nonsense, now you can double down.

Gamecocks go Smelley for Vanderbilt

ept_sports_ncaaf_experts-112815879-1220376421.jpg
If your memory extends no further than last Thursday night, Steve Spurrier's choice to start Chris Smelley at quarterback this Thursday at Vanderbilt is a no-brainer: Smelley replaced twice-intercepted Tommy Beecher with Carolina coasting on a 13-0 lead over lame duck N.C. State in the third quarter and proceeded to complete all five of his passes, two of them for touchdowns, and energize the moribund Cock offense on consecutive touchdowns drives of 60, 69 and 74 yards. Other than the Wolfpack's staggering malaise, Smelley stole the show.This was not so much the case last October when heavy underdog Vandy came to Columbia with Carolina ranked in the top ten off wins over Georgia, Mississippi State, Kentucky and North Carolina and angling for a stretch run for the division championship. Smelley, starting for Blake Mitchell, threw an interception on USC's first possession of the game, and went downhill from there: after six more three-and-outs and another interception that ended the Cocks' best drive of the day, the Ball Coach yanked Smelley and kept him buried on the bench for the remainder of Carolina's second half descent into irrelevance.
As good as Smelley looked against N.C. State, the Pack, as noted, rolled over and died for him; they literally stopped covering South Carolina's receivers. Vanderbilt, meanwhile, looked at least as impressive throttling supposed equal Miami of Ohio, and picked off Daniel Raudabaugh -- who most people who had ever heard of him would have taken over Smelley before last week -- three times. So Thursday night's revenge game, a home showcase for Vandy's annual "End the Drought" tour, is one fascinating clash compared to the ignorable rout it looked like at this time last week.
If not for an interesting game, you have one more reason to root against Smelley: assuming a woozy Beecher is out of the picture, a couple high throws by Smelley are all that's standing between heroically-coiffed, boys-will-be-boys legend Stephen Garcia, favorite of everyone not affiliated with the Gamecock coaching staff and/or Columbia Police Department, and the Carolina quarterback job. Not that we're rooting against Chris, of course. Only that his failure will be to our ultimate reward in entertainment value.

Early verdict on new clock rules: there are new clock rules?

ept_sports_ncaaf_experts-867454797-1220372653.jpg
I think the revised clock rules, most notably beginning the play clock at 40 seconds immediately rather than 25 seconds on the official's spot, can be ruled a smashing success for one overarching reason: nobody noticed. For all the vague chatter about the subtle ways the new rules were going to "change the game," it never entered my mind over the weekend, and Tom Dienhart says I wasn't the only one:
Based on a random sample of "Big Six" programs, the new rule had minimal impact on the number of plays schools were able to run in the opening weekend. Even more telling: None of the coaches from the schools I surveyed was asked about the new play clock in the postgame news conference.​
Dienhart throws out a couple of random examples -- Oklahoma, running a no huddle against a tragically overmatched cupcake, got off way more plays (84) than it averaged last year (70); Clemson, slowly squeezed to death by Alabama's ball control game in the Georgia Dome, had a meager 48; Northwestern and South Carolina were right at their '07 averages -- which conclude nothing. According to my own calculations, that's about the overall impact: nothing.
Not exactly nothing -- the total damage amounted to 6.6 snaps per game, to be exact: the average snaps per team through the first week was 68.6, compared to the national average of 71.9 last year, a decrease of a little over three plays per team. Outside of the Sooners, we weren't besieged by a wave of no huddle attacks, or delays of game, or confusion inside of two minutes. But unlike the bizarre change in 2006, which cut entire possessions out of games and left offensive numbers in the dust for everyone, at least the latest version didn't strike across the board. And even in the areas it did correspond with a minor cut, nobody could tell the difference.
Now: how can we cut those interminable replays into more manageable chunks?

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica] [FONT=verdana, arial, sans serif][SIZE=-2] Pete Fiutak [/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica] Q: Rebound or Dead … which teams will rebound and which ones are duds?[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica] A: Clemson - Rebound. The Alabama fiasco was an aberration that playing Citadel, NC State, and South Carolina State over the next three weeks will cure. This is a talented team that needs to get the energy up and start playing up to its talent level, and it will. The Tigers will win the ACC title.

Pitt - Rebound. Against Bowling Green, Pitt looked like a team in desperate need of a tune-up. It was fine early, but couldn't turn it back on when the Falcons started rolling. The talent is there, but it's well past put up or shut up time.

Virginia Tech - Dud. The Hokies will have their moments when the defense wins games and the offense does just enough to win, but there's little margin for error with the way this team plays. There isn't anything offensively to rely on.

Texas A&M - Dud. The team is better than it showed in the opening day loss to Arkansas State, but the Big 12 is so nasty, and the South so tough, that it'll be a long year if the offense isn't more creative than it was against the Red Wolves.

Michigan - Rebound. Utah is really, really good. The big concern is the way the Wolverines struggled to run the ball. When all else failed, Michigan was supposed to be able to pound away with its good O line and great running backs, and it didn't happen. It might take half the season, but the Wolverines will rebound.

Richard Cirminiello [FONT=verdana, arial, sans serif][SIZE=-2][/FONT] <o:p> </o:p><o:p> </o:p> [FONT=verdana, arial, sans serif][SIZE=-2]
[/FONT] <o:p> </o:p>[/SIZE][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica] [/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica] Q: Rebound or Dead … which teams will rebound and which ones are duds?[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica] A: Clemson – Rebound. Yeah, the Tigers were horrific versus Alabama, but by ACC standards, they’ll be fine in time. There’s still too much talented for this program not to have a real good shot of regrouping and playing in a BCS bowl game.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica] Pitt – Dead. Considering the circumstances, the loss to Bowling Green was so bad that this team might not recover in 2008. Who in the world was voting this Panther team into the preseason Top 25?

Virginia Tech – Rebound. Anyone who peeled the onion on the Hokies in August would have seen that this was not a vintage Frank Beamer squad. Still, it’s Tech, and there’s enough talent and speed on defense to turn this into a respectable season.

Texas A&M – Dead. Could Mike Sherman’s tenure in College Station have started any worse? Losing to Arkansas State at home is inexcusable. And this was supposed to be one of the gimmes on a tough schedule.

Michigan – Dead. It was obvious in the Utah game that the talent just isn’t there for Michigan to run Rich Rodriguez’s spread-option. Throw in a defense that got abused in the first half, and you’re staring at seven-win season. Maybe.
[/FONT] [FONT=Arial,Helvetica] <o:p> Matthew Zemek</o:p>[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica][/FONT] [FONT=Arial,Helvetica][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica] Q: Rebound or Dead … which teams will rebound and which ones are duds?[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica] A: Clemson – Rebound. Too much talent... and too much mediocrity in the rest of the ACC.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica] Pitt – Dud, until conclusively proven otherwise. Panthers--like leopards--don't change their spots.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica] Virginia Tech - Dud. This is a team in trouble; paging Tyrod Taylor, your redshirt is about to end.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica]Texas A&M - Dud. Losing to Arky State on the road would be one thing. At home???!!!

Michigan - Dud this year. Not next year, but definitely this year. A pop-gun offense in a year of turmoil and transition.
[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica][/FONT] [FONT=Arial,Helvetica] <o:p>Steve Silverman
Q: Rebound or Dead … which teams will rebound and which ones are duds?<o:p></o:p></o:p>
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica] A: Clemson – As bad as it was -- and it was awful -- Alabama may just be a pretty good team. Tommy Bowden can point to the quality of the opponent and the Tigers will not fall apart. The ACC does not appear to be much, so Clemson will survive.
Pitt – Even though they have the anchor that is Dave Wannstedt, the Panthers are not dead. They will probably be one of the most inconsistent teams in the nation, beating good teams and losing to average teams. No doubt about the talent; plenty of questions about the leadership.

Virginia Tech - Losing on a blocked punt will reverberate throughout the season. After all special teams play has been this team's calling card forever. Frank Beamer won't be able to forget the loss to East Carolina and neither will his players. However, when all is said and done, the Hokies will be in a good bowl game and will have a solid year. They just won't enjoy any of it. Break out the Mylanta.

Texas A&M - Dead, embalmed and about to be buried. Mike Sherman didn't have much of an idea of what he was doing in the NFL and he will get buried in the Big 12. College football is a much more creative game than it is at the pro level and Sherman is not exactly an idea man. Hope he's renting in College Station.

Michigan - That really was awful against Utah. A couple of late breaks got the Wolverines back in the game and they were a 2-point conversion away from tying the score late in the fourth. However, they were terrible and didn't have much of a clue as to running the spread offense. Rich Rodriguez will not let the year get away. There will be missteps and mistakes, but there will be growth and this season will turn out to be a positive one for Michigan
[/FONT]

I'm on the fence about Texas. The UTEP game could have been very misleading--or very accurate--in determining how they will play.

Let's just say that Texas coming to the University of Texas at El Paso is the biggest game there in 55 years since the last time THE University of Texas visited. The fans want this game. The players want this game.

I think Texas wins, but the line is about right in my opinion. I know Horn loves it and he's usually right on about UT.

Statistically Speaking

A roundup of stats that caught my interest in the week before

Who won this game?

The team on the left or right?

As you probably guessed this was Monday night’s affair between Tennessee and UCLA. Seriously though, how do you lose a game you outrushed your opponent 177 to 29, and your opponent threw 4 interceptions?

The Rush

- Navy ran for 558 yards in their win over Towson (who?) on 58 attempts. That’s 9.6 yards per attempt. They only attempted 5 passes, and completed 2.

- Clemson, on the other hand, in their debacle against Alabama, rushed for – wait for it – ZERO yards, on 14 attempts. (‘Bama had 239 yards on FIFTY attempts).

Run ‘Er Up

13 teams scored over 50 points in their opener. They were (with points)–

Arizona 70
Penn St. 66
Oklahoma 57
Florida 56
South Fla. 56
Rice 56
Houston 55
Eastern Mich. 52
Miami (Fla.) 52
Texas 52
Southern California 52
Missouri 52
Southern Miss. 51

Defense Wins Championships

- After one game, Ohio State has a rushing defense of -11 yards, the only team to have held their opponents to negative yardage.

- Florida leads the nation in Turnover Margin at +6.

- U Conn had 7 sacks in their opener, and leads the nation.

No Time Left for You

- Clemson had a Time of Possession in their loss of – wait for it – 18:47, or 2:13 less than the next worst for the week, Marshall at 21:00. Put another way, Clemson has barely possessed the football for more than a single quarter this year.

Pass Happy

Graham Harrell of Texas Tech threw for 536 yards in their opening win over Eastern Washington. He attempted 58 throws, completing 43.

Wednesday Headlinin': Beanie hopes, Pittsburgh mopes

By Matt Hinton
ept_sports_ncaaf_experts-102530425-1220443749.jpg
This little piggy went off-tackle. Predictably frustrated by Jim Tressel's updates on his star tailback ("His foot's hurting"), the Columbus Dispatch caught up with Chris Wells' mom Tuesday, who said Beanie's bum foot is actually a bum toe, but not turf toe, and he's "very optimistic" about driving poor, outmanned tacklers from Ohio U. into the galvanized rubber FieldTurf Saturday. "You know him," she said. "He doesn't want to sit for a week and be rusty (for USC)."
Todd gets the nod. Auburn offensive coordinator Tony Franklin wanted a true starting quarterback, and it looks like he's giving Chris Todd the chance to be that guy against Southern Miss -- if only because the "run" in the Tigers' "run-pass" duo, Kodi Burns, is "questionable" with a nasty gash to his shin. Todd was only 9 of 18 against UL-Monroe, for 70 yards, so Franklin isn't relying on him to be more than a manager for the usual punishing running game, anyway.
You brought this on yourself. The Pittsburgh Post Gazette's Ron Cook pulls no punches in his indictment of the state of Panther football:

East of the city, where Penn State put 106,577 fannies in the Beaver Stadium seats for a game Saturday against Coastal Carolina, out west, where Ohio State had a crowd of 105,011 for Youngstown State, and to the south, where West Virginia attracted a sellout crowd of 60,566 to see it play Villanova, they are laughing at Pitt. They have it all going with their football programs. Pitt clearly does not. The crowd at Heinz Field for Pitt's opening game against Bowling Green was 45,063. As depressing as that number was in a stadium that holds 65,050, this is much worse: Pitt doesn't deserve 45,000 in the stands. Or 35,000. Or ... . You get the idea.
Sooner or later, you have to give people something for their hard-earned entertainment dollars.
Pitt keeps failing miserably in that regard.
It doesn't just play bad football, it plays boring football.
When even reporters start playing the Boring Card against doomed coaches, it can only mean one thing: you might want to get in on the ground floor in the "Wannstedt's successor will come from an offensive background" pool.
ept_sports_ncaaf_experts-605003685-1220443776.jpg
MAC Player of the Year, ooooohhh. Are you scared yet? The Atlanta Journal-Constitution breaks down Central Michigan's upset chances against Georgia, leading with the usual highlight reel statistics of quarterback Dan LeFevour. There's no mention of the defending MAC champs' record against BCS conference schools since 2000: 0-16, with an average margin of defeat of 24 points with LeFevour on the field.
Quickly . . .
LSU officials are still deciding whether to go on with the show against Troy Saturday in Baton Rouge, where electricity is still sketchy post-Gustav. . . . Percy Harvin will play against Miami, but his heel injury isn't without its riska. . . . Steven Threet graded out higher than Nick Sheridan against Utah and will have a chance to take command of the Michigan quarterback job against Miami of Ohio. . . . Marc Tyler's garbage time touchdown run against Virginia is now a touchdown pass for Mitch Mustain. . . . Bo Pellini is tired of hearing about the spread offense. . . . If forecasters are right Tropical Storm Hanna will reach State Colelge just in time for Penn State's 16 1/2-point win over Oregon State. And defensive end Josh Gaines might move to tackle to help shore up the Lions' suddenly thin interior line. . . . Add it all up, and at one point the AP top five led their opponents 208-0 Saturday. . . . And enjoy (or join) simmering Tennessee fans venting on the Knoxville News-Sentinel's Vol frustration line.

Nittany Lions brace for Beavers, storm

By Jeff McLane
Inquirer Staff Writer
If you are a believer in soothsaying, Tropical Storm Hanna will be reaching State College just in time for Penn State's 16 1/2-point win over Oregon State on Saturday. But Joe Paterno is not a believer in the unknown, despite what the meteorologists and oddsmakers are predicting.
It would seem, however, that the Beavers travel to Happy Valley for the first time with the dam stacked against them. There are the long trip east, the potential of a road game in stormy conditions, and the lingering hangover of an error-filled loss to Stanford in the season opener.
Apparently, that translates to Oregon State's being a two-touchdown-plus underdog. But Paterno, after watching the Beavers (0-1) fumble away the 36-28 loss to Stanford, isn't buying the Vegas line.
"Oregon State beat themselves," the Nittany Lions coach said yesterday during his weekly teleconference. "So I came away from that game thinking, 'Hey, we're going to have our hands full.' And nothing has changed."
As of last night, little had changed as far as Hanna went. A possible hurricane, Hanna was creating havoc in the Caribbean with a projected path up the East Coast. Penn State (1-0), for the time being, is preparing for blue and white skies.
"If the weather forecast still looks like it's going to be a tough day on Saturday, we'll do a couple things on Thursday a little differently, but I'm not going to change our routine until I find out for sure," Paterno said.
Since being renamed head coach at Oregon State in 2003, Mike Riley, who coached the Beavers in 1997 and 1998, has ventured east of the Mississippi for three regular-season games.
In each - against Louisiana State, Louisville and Cincinnati - Oregon State has lost. The Beavers are 0-6 in nonconference road games under Riley.
"On the road, we've got to hopefully learn from the past, but we just got to go play, regardless of where it is," Riley said. "Whether it's in front of 110,000 at Penn State or wherever it might be, it's all about how you play."
According to Paterno, Riley's three years heading the San Diego Chargers should be enough experience in the travails of traveling.
"We can't hope that something's going to happen in their preparation that is going to make it easier for us," Paterno said. "I think he knows what he's doing."
The Beavers do have an extra few days of preparation, having played Thursday. This will be the Lions' first Pacific Ten opponent since Southern Cal in 2000. They are 5-1 against the conference since 1993.
A win would at least restore a little luster to the Big Ten after Illinois, Michigan and Michigan State dropped closely contested nonconference openers.
Penn State originally had Arkansas State as its Game 2 foe, but picked up Oregon State in December to seemingly strengthen its schedule. The Red Wolves, though, shocked Texas A&M last week, leaving the Beavers to test an old Paterno adage.
"If you've got a good football team, it probably gets better from the first game to the second game than any time in the season," Paterno said. "We'll know a lot more about our football team after this game on Saturday."
Nittany notes. Because of concerns over their depth, the Lions tried some starters at other positions Saturday. Guard Stefen Wisniewski played some center and Josh Gaines moved from defensive end to tackle briefly. . . . Paterno said he wasn't worried about quarterback Pat Devlin and keeping the sophomore motivated after he was named the backup. "I have not seen anything different," he said. "I patted him on the back after the game and said: 'Hey, nice going, Pat, you had a good day. Keep concentrating.' "

Back