CFB Rankings Week 2

I guess what bothers me is the continual focus on "who should be no.4, UW, tOSU or Louisville"......how does Michigan get a pass here if the criteria for downgrading the UW due to schedule.....Michigan has a one score road win against a horseshit team....at least the UW went on the road and beat a top-20 team

Will Ohio St be 4?

Side note, LSU at 23 is insanity.....doesn't matter, but still.

These clowns put Michigan State ahead of Oklahoma last year.

Nebraska at 10 last week; TAMU this week and last.

All atrocious.

The "strength of record" standings and the committee rankings are virtually the same 1 through 9 (6 & 7 swap). The 10th team is ranked 12th. The 11th team they rank 21st

subjectivity :tiphat:

I guess what bothers me is the continual focus on "who should be no.4, UW, tOSU or Louisville"......how does Michigan get a pass here if the criteria for downgrading the UW due to schedule.....Michigan has a one score road win against a horseshit team....at least the UW went on the road and beat a top-20 team

They have won 78-0 and 32-23 on the road.

The 32-23 is skewed too. That was 30-10 going into garbage time.(and that was MSU de facto Bowl Game)

Also, using the playoff rankings, they have beat 3 of the top 12 teams in the polls.

If you use the AP poll, it is 3 of the top 16 teams in the country.

jimmymo;[URL="tel:2985940" said:
2985940[/URL]]I guess what bothers me is the continual focus on "who should be no.4, UW, tOSU or Louisville"......how does Michigan get a pass here if the criteria for downgrading the UW due to schedule.....Michigan has a one score road win against a horseshit team....at least the UW went on the road and beat a top-20 team

I don't necessarily disagree overall but doesn't UW have an OT road win against steam that hasn't really even competed against anyone else in the PAC 12?

that being said I don't think it's really a debate...uw deserves in and the winner of osu/mich

Lets talk facts for a bit........Team A and Team B are both 7-2.......Team A lost to a highly ranked team and an unranked team....Team B lost to a highly ranked team and a team ranked top 20 in playoff poll

Team A and Team B actually played a similar opponent (highly ranked) a week apart, both on the road.

Team A had lost the game by halftime and eventually beaten by highly ranked opponent by 39 points, getting outgained 515 - 191

Team B was leading the game at in the second half, but ultimately beaten by highly ranked opponent by 17, getting outgained 397 - 325

Team A (east coast) is ranked higher across the board than Team B (west coast)

Last edited:
Lets talk facts for a bit........Team A and Team B are both 7-2.......Team A lost to a highly ranked team and an unranked team....Team B lost to a highly ranked team and a team ranked top 20 in playoff poll

Team A and Team B actually played a similar opponent (highly ranked) a week apart, both on the road.

Team A had lost the game by halftime and eventually beaten by highly ranked opponent by 39 points, getting outgained 515 - 191

Team B was leading the game at in the second half, but ultimately beaten by highly ranked opponent by 17, getting outgained 397 - 325

Team A (east coast) is ranked higher across the board than Team B (west coast)

Penn St and Colorado

Penn St gets alot of love for the Ohio St win though.

The loss to Michigan was bad for PSU and CU played well as you point out until Liufau went out. But I would look at quality wins before ranking off of quality losses.

What is CU's best win? They don't have an Ohio St type win like Penn St does.

My guess at what the playoff poll will be this Tuesday

1. Bama
  2. tOSU
  3. Louisville
  4. Michigan
  5. Clemson
  6. Wisconsin
  7. Oklahama
  8. Washington
  9. West Virginia

I'd be surprised if the top five weren't

1. Bama
2/3/4. Mich/Clem/Ohio St in some order
5. Louisville.

they have relied on strength of record pretty heavily the first two weeks. This week its

Alabama
Clemson
OSU
Wisconsin
Louisville
West Virginia
Michigan
Colorado
Washington

So it looks like West Virgina could be in for a big jump this week

Let Western Michigan have a shot

Sure, I mean yeah why not? It's like beating one team with a winning record out of 10 games, who is 6-4 Eastern Michigan, and trailing Kent State at halftime is totally the kind of team that deserves a shot. Sounds like good logic.

Beating one team with a winning record and trailing an average team at HT sounds an awful lot like Louisville

Beating one team with a winning record and trailing an average team at HT sounds an awful lot like Louisville

The difference being the one team with a winning record is beating Florida State 63-24 vs beating Eastern Michigan 45-31. EM covered getting 23. Not apples-to-apples. Wake Forest=Kent St?

Western Michigan and Louisville aren't that much alike.

The NCAA really needs to divide IA / FBS football. Having SEC teams such as Alabama or Big Ten team like Ohio St or any P5 conference in the same division of football as Sun Belt with a team like ULM or the MAC with a team like Buffalo isn't the best thing.

so basically the playoffs is laid out baring any crazy losses going forward which i guess is possible

bama is def in
vill looks locked barring a loss
clemson looks locked barring a loss
osu/mich will play for a virtual playoff game in 2wks where u expect winner in loser out.. the only scenario where that didnt happen was a undefeated michigan loses a nailbiter to OSU and maybe as a 1 loss team bounces ville.... but with the loser having 2 losses tough to see either staying in hunt

so matchups would be
1 Bama/4Ville one would presume
2osu/mich vs 3clemson

interesting matchups........ still think Bama is head n shoulders above rest... ville is interesting on O but bama should roll em.... osu/clem would be better matchup then mich/clem//// not sold on michigan their D is nasty but they are so limited on offense that clemson D should have no problem putting a game plan together.....tough to win a game when u cant really score 20pts vs a stout team.. osu has had there struggles on O same can be said as Clemson one would think Clemson finds a way Vs either big 10 school setting up a rematch of last yrs game where i think would be better and more entertaining then this years... Bama may be better then last yr team on D i definetly think they are... offensively Hurt is getting better n better.... something is off with Clemson this yr maybe its complacency or expectations thats weighing them down.. maybe once playoffs come or the fact they suffered there first loss since the title game it will even relax them a bit...odd theory i know but sometimes the expectation of having to go undefeated weighs on a team , now they got there first L they still control there destiny maybe loosens them up a bit..... still think they have best chance to beat Bama..... OSU could to cuz of suburban meyer he in Saban head but again something missing with OSU this yr on offense.... everyone wants to see ville vs them cuz of lamar jackson but bama D this yr is built to stop dynamic QB and ville D stinks

The difference being the one team with a winning record is beating Florida State 63-24 vs beating Eastern Michigan 45-31. EM covered getting 23. Not apples-to-apples. Wake Forest=Kent St?

Western Michigan and Louisville aren't that much alike.

The NCAA really needs to divide IA / FBS football. Having SEC teams such as Alabama or Big Ten team like Ohio St or any P5 conference in the same division of football as Sun Belt with a team like ULM or the MAC with a team like Buffalo isn't the best thing.

And then have the winner of those two divisions play to see who the champion is. Not a bad idea.

Or to ask it another way ... Assume Western Michigan is the best team in the Country (I realize none of us do), how does the best team in the country, in the form of Western Michigan, win the Championship?

Or to ask it another way ... Assume Western Michigan is the best team in the Country (I realize none of us do), how does the best team in the country, in the form of Western Michigan, win the Championship?

Don't know and don't care. However, I do have a solution that would keep teams like WMU from being screwed by the Playoff Committee.

Eliminate the playoff.

Huey Long said "Every man a king", and I say, "Every game a championship". Don't make hundreds of regular-season games subsidiary to three stupid games at the end.

Don't know and don't care. However, I do have a solution that would keep teams like WMU from being screwed by the Playoff Committee.

Eliminate the playoff.

Huey Long said "Every man a king", and I say, "Every game a championship". Don't make hundreds of regular-season games subsidiary to three stupid games at the end.

But those hundreds of regular season games are nowhere near alike, so it simply becomes much more subjective that it needs to be. Unless you're saying that teams that are undefeated should be ranked higher than those with losses...who wouldn't agree with that?

Back