CFB Preseason Power Rating/Linemaking

pstone

Pretty much a regular
I was just curious to learn what processes other college football handicappers use to assign power ratings to the 120 teams and also to make lines during the early season (first three games or so). I have been doing power ratings for about a dozen years and feel it's one of the strongest aspects of my handicapping arsenal.

Personally, this is where I have historically been most effective in my handicapping and feel like the astute, well-informed player has the advantage over the house in CFB during the month of September.

I am primarily a fundamental handicapper and use a lot of subjectivity in arriving at my preseason power ratings and early season lines.

This is an open-ended discussion with no restrictions, so please contribute any worthwhile points whether totally on topic or only slightly.

First of all, I make power ratings for all 120 teams, with the top team typically having a PR of 100 and the worst having a PR of around 45 or perhaps slightly lower. A high concentration of teams fall in the "average" category and are assigned a PR in the neighborhood of 67-to-75.

This season, I anticipate Florida will start the season at around 105 based on their offensive prowess. They are going to be able to pile up the points on most opponents and this has to be strongly factored into its PR.

Anyway, I make three or four sets of PRs and try to compile those "independent" of one another.

I am currently doing my first set of power ratings which is essentially based on my own personal knowledge of the teams; their historical performance; returning talent; and the such. I do these without the benefit of any notes/resources/etc and it's just kind of a "what number comes to mind" sort of thing (Not that this part of the process is done in haste. I do think about it extensively).

Then I compile a second set of PRs (without referring to the first set) when Phil Steele's pub comes out. Whether you believe he is an above average or below average handicapper, he puts out a magazine that is the CFB bible for any serious capper IMO. The information and detail is incredible.

I usually buy four or five more preseason mags and will make one or two more sets of PRs from those publications. The reason I do this is I believe it is important to not rely on a single source when formulating PRs from outside entities. Although I believe strongly in Steele's magazine, his is only one and certainly subject to human biases and preferences, so I want to ensure there is a strong element of balance in my process.

From there, I look at each of the different PRs for each team (typically there is not a great deal of variance) and make sure I don't have any wide ranges of opinion. If so, I go back and fine tune those schools' numbers and then come up with the teams' final preseason PR for 2009.

Although the same teams typically fall in the A, B, C, D and F categories in college football from one season to the next, I do not refer to last year's final power ratings. I have a deep enough knowledge of the teams and my process to pretty much know where they finished without referring to it.

Returning starters is something I look at closely in those teams historically doing business in the C through F categories, but not so much a factor among the top programs.

The USCs and Ohio States of the world cannot always be judged in negative terms during years when they have 10 or fewer returning starters. Obviously, these programs recruit at a level that the "next in line" blue chipper might actually be better than the more experienced senior who exhausted his eligibility.

On offense, I obviously start at the quarterback position. This is not the NFL and some teams do throw some "stinkers" out there in the early going (Oftentimes, a junior or senior who has "waited his turn" and earned the right to start for State U. Then after game one or two, the more talented underclassman is handed the keys).

If a QB has not played (or only played sparingly), he will likely struggle in his first game; get a little better in game two; and settle into "who he is" by the fourth or fifth game (not that he won't continue to show improvement, he's just no longer having to think through every aspect of the game mentally with his head while simultaneously having to respond to fluid circumstances physically with the rest of his body).

After the QB, I look at the center and left tackle positions. If a team has new faces at QB and C, they are a better possibility to struggle early as the whole timing of a play starts with the underrated exchange between those two positions. If a team also lacks experience at the critical LT position (and they are a balanced team throwing the ball), this is an offense that is probably going to have some growing pains.

Then I look at the "playmaking" positions of RB and WR/TE. Does a team have potential playmakers in the running and passing game? One but not the other? No playmakers anywhere?

Then I move to defense. I first look at the front seven whether a team plays a 5-2 defense; the old traditional 4/3; or some other twist derived out of these two standards. If a team does not have experience or talent in the front four, they can probably be run on during the early portion of the season.

Although defensive end is the sexier position since most sacks come from the edge, I place equal stock (if not more) in the defensive tackle positions. A defense needs to be able to plug and control the middle of the field to be successful. If your "two techniques" get pushed all over the field, a team does not have to be all that creative to move the ball up and down the field on you. As in "run the ball down your throat."

In the secondary, I look for a team to have one "shutdown" or at least a capable CB with some experience. Most college teams only have one "big play" type receiver, so that's why I approach it that way. Obviously, the Floridas and USCs of the world can trot out two and, in some cases, even three receivers who have the size, route-running ability and hands to merit top-notch coverage.

Once I get my final PRs, I then make lines on all games scheduled for the month of September. I don't go any further because teams' PRs are quite fluid early in the year and _ as much as I hate to admit it _ we do even miss on a team now and then.

Please give any feedback on what you feel is most important during the early season; your preseason preparation process; and anything else you feel is a worthwhile addition to the discussion.

Good luck,
Paul

Just browsed over this real quick but great read so far.

Thanks for sharing Paul, should be a great thread.

I will re-visit the thread when i get more time but this one of the best posts i've read on an internet forum

As I have discussed with you before, I am weakest in the first 2 weeks of the season and get stronger once conference play kicks up. That has less to do with the lines and info on the teams, and more to do with my own personal strategy and strengths. In regard to learning about the teams in preparation, I try to give them all a quick capping before Steele comes out and then non-scientifically combine my thoughts with his. I also like to look at the schedule as a whole to see which direction I think the team's season may go.

Once I get Steele, I usually start my capping with the defensive line (and CBs). I believe it is the most important unit on the football field. If you can't stop the other team from running on you then you will lose a lot more often then you win. The DL also has something to say about pass defense. In my experience, a couple of senior DEs can hide two sophomore CBs, but the opposite is almost never true. The reason I do like to look at corners is because there are few natural good ones, so teams that have two or three are at a distinct advantage.

The second unit I take a look at is the offensive line. Its really tough to score without a good one. They make the running lanes and protect the QB. And teams without good OLs very often are poor in time of possession which in turn wears out the DL and defense.

I take a look at the QB situation as well, but I don't over-focus on it, especially if none of those returning have positive track records. A freshman QB who has familiarity with offense will do better than a senior who has always been terrible. (Which is why I hope Wyoming finds their QB in August instead of going with Sween.)

Receivers, running backs, safeties, and to a lesser extent LBs, to me are a dime-a-dozen and I don't worry about them much. Every program from the SEC to the Sun Belt can find somebody to tote the ball, catch the ball, and make tackles. Its the quality and depth of the QB and lines that really separates teams so that is where I focus my energy.

One quick note: I DO NOT handicap special teams. They are an unpredictable variable in the game of football. Just because one team excels and another is awful doesn't mean they will have any impact on that particular game. Just because a team has a home-run threat punt returner doesn't mean much if he doesn't get the chance to return one. A team may have a horrible FG kicker, but it won't matter if he isn't forced to try one. Just because a team normally covers KOs well and wins the field position battle doesn't mean that that won't be the day where they let one get taken to the house, and then the kicker kicks it out-of-bounds, or maybe they don't score much and only kickoff 4 times all game. Just because you can make a determination on which team is superior to another in a given matchup, there is little guarantee that it will matter in that specific game. I have found that STs are as likely to go in my favor as they are to go against me, so I just don't worry about it and let the cards fall where they may.

I will also revisit this thread when i get geared up for cfb.

i put primary emphasis on oline and dline.

going to be a great thread and it is already in fact.

As I have discussed with you before, I am weakest in the first 2 weeks of the season and get stronger once conference play kicks up. That has less to do with the lines and info on the teams, and more to do with my own personal strategy and strengths. In regard to learning about the teams in preparation, I try to give them all a quick capping before Steele comes out and then non-scientifically combine my thoughts with his. I also like to look at the schedule as a whole to see which direction I think the team's season may go.

Once I get Steele, I usually start my capping with the defensive line (and CBs). I believe it is the most important unit on the football field. If you can't stop the other team from running on you then you will lose a lot more often then you win. The DL also has something to say about pass defense. In my experience, a couple of senior DEs can hide two sophomore CBs, but the opposite is almost never true. The reason I do like to look at corners is because there are few natural good ones, so teams that have two or three are at a distinct advantage.

The second unit I take a look at is the offensive line. Its really tough to score without a good one. They make the running lanes and protect the QB. And teams without good OLs very often are poor in time of possession which in turn wears out the DL and defense.

I take a look at the QB situation as well, but I don't over-focus on it, especially if none of those returning have positive track records. A freshman QB who has familiarity with offense will do better than a senior who has always been terrible. (Which is why I hope Wyoming finds their QB in August instead of going with Sween.)

Receivers, running backs, safeties, and to a lesser extent LBs, to me are a dime-a-dozen and I don't worry about them much. Every program from the SEC to the Sun Belt can find somebody to tote the ball, catch the ball, and make tackles. Its the quality and depth of the QB and lines that really separates teams so that is where I focus my energy.

One quick note: I DO NOT handicap special teams. They are an unpredictable variable in the game of football. Just because one team excels and another is awful doesn't mean they will have any impact on that particular game. Just because a team has a home-run threat punt returner doesn't mean much if he doesn't get the chance to return one. A team may have a horrible FG kicker, but it won't matter if he isn't forced to try one. Just because a team normally covers KOs well and wins the field position battle doesn't mean that that won't be the day where they let one get taken to the house, and then the kicker kicks it out-of-bounds, or maybe they don't score much and only kickoff 4 times all game. Just because you can make a determination on which team is superior to another in a given matchup, there is little guarantee that it will matter in that specific game. I have found that STs are as likely to go in my favor as they are to go against me, so I just don't worry about it and let the cards fall where they may.

I don't understand this much - what you said here can be applied to offense and defense as well, right?

No, not in my opinion. Offense and defense factor in every game. You have to outperform your opponent in those areas to win. Offense and defense take up the vast majority of plays, time, strategy, and coaching. ST can have a big impact on a game or a small impact on a game, but there is no way of knowing on which game it will have an impact. Does that clarify my position at all? Maybe I'm not explaining it very well. I'm not saying it can't matter, I'm saying there is no way of knowing when it will and when it won't (so therefore I don't worry about it). Contrasted with rushing defense which is going to have an enormous role in every game.

I find a lot of the time that my edge vs the line comes from capping special teams. Having a punter who flips the field vs one who is lucky to kick it 38 yards has a huge impact on the game for instance.

Only if he has to punt a lot that particular day...

The importance of special teams is only based on the successes and failures of the offense and defense, not the other way around. Maybe that is what I'm trying to say.

Does anyone have Power Ratings for coaching staffs?

I've never done that, but I think Jim Grobe and Paul Johnson would certainly be towards the top.

I find a lot of the time that my edge vs the line comes from capping special teams. Having a punter who flips the field vs one who is lucky to kick it 38 yards has a huge impact on the game for instance.

I think special teams is much more important some games than others. For example in some SEC games where some of the defenses may be far superior to the offensive units. If I'm looking at a game that I feel will have a NFLish posted total (High 30's to Mid 40's) then I spend more time on the special teams. Having confidence that the kickers are gonna knock it through consistently as well as having a punter that can bail out some stalled drives and not give the opposition a cheap score. There are some games where I sort of breeze through ST's but I don't have necessarily a set way I go about incorporating it into a line. I trust my instincts more than i trust my numbers for the most part but developing a better method of consistent power ratings is something that I'm working on.

Does anyone have Power Ratings for coaching staffs?

I've never done that, but I think Jim Grobe and Paul Johnson would certainly be towards the top.

i do for gameday coaching. The other parts of coaching ( mainly recruiting and preparation ) are already accounted for in the PR. I don't think it is worth all that much though ... maybe a point for the elite gamedays ( you listed two that i agree with ) and maybe a point for the horrid ones ( bobby bowden for instance ),

you also have those strange situations where you have horrid gameday head coach like frank beamer but a great gameday defensive coordinator like bud foster to make up for it on the same staff.

I think special teams is much more important some games than others. For example in some SEC games where some of the defenses may be far superior to the offensive units. If I'm looking at a game that I feel will have a NFLish posted total (High 30's to Mid 40's) then I spend more time on the special teams. Having confidence that the kickers are gonna knock it through consistently as well as having a punter that can bail out some stalled drives and not give the opposition a cheap score. There are some games where I sort of breeze through ST's but I don't have necessarily a set way I go about incorporating it into a line. I trust my instincts more than i trust my numbers for the most part but developing a better method of consistent power ratings is something that I'm working on.

i agree it can be more important in some games than others but i think it is an area where those of us who effort can find the advantages that are not already reflected in the line. For instance , wake forest at defending punt returns last year was a hidden gem that a lot of folks would miss.

average of about 9 punts per game combined ( roughly ) and 3 fg attempts per game combined ( roughly ) and 10 kickoffs or so combined per game ..... ( kickoff number is really rough estimate ) so we are looking at a good 22 plays out of the game going to special teams. I think it's tough not to give that some weight , especially in college where the discrepency between two teams units is so huge ..... in the nfl , they are all pretty close.

kyle, who are your top game day coaches (list 5 or 10) and what criteria do you use to evaluate them in your ratings?

How about a guy like Urban Meyer? Do we actually have any evidence of him being a great game day coach or does he just bring in exceptional athletes and use them exceptionally well? Its something to think about.

And one more question, when you say "preparation" is that viewed as talent development over time and in the off season or do you mean game planning and scheming week to week?

(The preparation piece is going to be the most interesting aspect of Chip Kelly taking over for Bellotti who was an expert at scheming and getting the most out of his kids. Under Bellotti, UO has always spent a lot more time in the top 25 rankings than in the top 25 recruiting rankings, if you see where I'm going with that.)

like the most

1. paul johnson
2. Jim Tressel
3. mike riley
4. brian kelly
5. dan hawkins

I evaluate gameday coaching with what i have seen with my own eyes ... play calling , clock and timeout management , fourth down decisions , go for two decisions , game management , ingame adjustments , motivation etc etc

Thats the thing that will be hard for chip kelly ... Bellotti was so good that he has some shoes to fill. What made Bellotti great was his ability to recruit to his needs with the types of players that he wanted. He didn't need the top 20 recruiting classes when he was recruiting quality guys to fit puzzle pieces so well. Guy was a good gameplanner as well.

I am a texas longhorn fan and my biggest gripe over the years with Brown has been his inability to get the most out of his guys and his inability to greatly improve these 5 star athletes over their careers in austin. They don't seem to leave that much better than when they arrived. I have seen improvement in that respect the last couple of years.

i know i will get hate on the tressel selection as i do every year but the guy always gets it done , can get it done different ways and cashes a lot of sports tickets. No coach in college football overachieves as he has the last bunch of years. Unfortunately , that overachievement hasn't panned out when bowl season rolls around and he is facing teams that are simply better than his kids and that stands out to people.

I love Brian kelly on gameday now. I have watched this guy and he will do whatever it takes to win , he has a complete understanding of what opponents are doing as the game progresses and counteracts it with adjustments ... he is willing to power run , finesse run , spread you out and beat you with the pass ... blitz or drop back , focus on run stopping or gameplan to stop passing attacks. The guy is just so solid and intense and it carries over to his kids. He always has them hitting too. He is willing to change his gameplan in the middle of the game. Guys like bobby bowden , hal mumme and wanny just dance with the girl they came with and when that is failing , it usually doesnt suddenly get good.

I can't get on board with Hawkins as a good game day coach. He does something dumb basically every game rather it be a fake punt or going for it on 4th down.

I can't get on board with Hawkins as a good game day coach. He does something dumb basically every game rather it be a fake punt or going for it on 4th down.

well the shennanigans played better at boise than they do in the big12. He has made a few blunders for sure but overall i think it plays out well for him

I have to disagree with you on Kelly VK - I'd put him top 15 or top 10, but not top 5.

I question some of his playcalling down the stretch of games. I'll give you this though, his teams rarely come out flat, even in token let-down situations (sandwich, look-aheads, hangovers, etc.).

Love Bill Stewart.....you could actually see him reading "Football for Dummies" on the sidelines at points during this past season when the cameras panned on him during the game. Apparently, he never got to the chapters on playcalling or clock management.

:36_11_6:

disagree with ya dmoney but you probably know cincy foots better than i do

USF fake FG was the one of the worst play calls I've ever seen.

I disagree with the safety they took against WVU.

Those are the two definitive plays that I have a tough time getting out of my head, especially the first one.

Frankly, I'm amazed at how awful just about all of them are. It's like they've never played a game of Madden or something.

my favorite coaching blunder ........ this was back when the rule changes came into play back in 2006.

watson brown punted to oklahoma where they could have just kneeled on the ball to end the game and eventually kneeled on third down.

<TABLE class=tablehead id=playTable cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=3 sizcache="1" sizset="122"><TBODY sizcache="1" sizset="122"><TR style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: black" vAlign=top><TD colSpan=5></TD></TR><TR class=colhead vAlign=top><TD colSpan=3>UAB at 4:22</TD><TD>UAB</TD><TD>OKLA</TD></TR><TR class=oddrow vAlign=top><TD noWrap colSpan=2>1st and 10 at UAB 33</TD><TD>Uab penalty 10 yard holding accepted, no play.</TD><TD class=bi align=middle>17</TD><TD class=bi align=middle>24</TD></TR><TR class=evenrow vAlign=top sizcache="1" sizset="154"><TD noWrap colSpan=2>1st and 20 at UAB 23</TD><TD sizcache="1" sizset="154">Sam Hunt pass incomplete.</TD><TD> </TD><TD> </TD></TR><TR class=oddrow vAlign=top sizcache="1" sizset="155"><TD noWrap colSpan=2>2nd and 20 at UAB 23</TD><TD sizcache="1" sizset="155">Sam Hunt rush for 1 yard to the UAB 24.</TD><TD> </TD><TD> </TD></TR><TR class=evenrow vAlign=top><TD noWrap colSpan=2>3rd and 19 at UAB 24</TD><TD>Timeout Uab, clock 03:18.</TD><TD> </TD><TD> </TD></TR><TR class=oddrow vAlign=top><TD noWrap colSpan=2>3rd and 19 at UAB 24</TD><TD>Uab penalty 5 yard false start accepted.</TD><TD> </TD><TD> </TD></TR><TR class=evenrow vAlign=top sizcache="1" sizset="156"><TD noWrap colSpan=2>3rd and 24 at UAB 19</TD><TD sizcache="1" sizset="156">Chris Williams pass complete to Corey White for 12 yards to the UAB 31.</TD><TD> </TD><TD> </TD></TR><TR class=oddrow vAlign=top sizcache="1" sizset="158"><TD noWrap colSpan=2>4th and 12 at UAB 31</TD><TD sizcache="1" sizset="158">Parker Mullins punt for 41 yards, returned by Reggie Smith for 3 yards to the Okla 31.</TD><TD> </TD><TD> </TD></TR><TR class=colhead vAlign=top><TD colSpan=5>DRIVE TOTALS: UAB drive: 3 plays -2 yards, 02:00 UAB PUNT</TD></TR><TR style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: black" vAlign=top><TD colSpan=5> </TD></TR><TR class=colhead vAlign=top><TD colSpan=3>Oklahoma at 2:22</TD><TD>UAB</TD><TD>OKLA</TD></TR><TR class=oddrow vAlign=top sizcache="1" sizset="160"><TD noWrap colSpan=2>1st and 10 at OKLA 31</TD><TD sizcache="1" sizset="160">Adrian Peterson rush for 6 yards to the Okla 37.</TD><TD class=bi align=middle>17</TD><TD class=bi align=middle>24</TD></TR><TR class=evenrow vAlign=top sizcache="1" sizset="161"><TD noWrap colSpan=2>2nd and 4 at OKLA 37</TD><TD sizcache="1" sizset="161">Adrian Peterson rush for 1 yard to the Okla 38.</TD><TD> </TD><TD> </TD></TR><TR class=oddrow vAlign=top><TD noWrap colSpan=2>3rd and 3 at OKLA 38</TD><TD>Timeout OKLAHOMA, clock 00:25.</TD><TD> </TD><TD> </TD></TR><TR class=evenrow vAlign=top><TD noWrap colSpan=2>3rd and 3 at OKLA 38</TD><TD>Team rush for a loss of 2 yards to the Okla 36.</TD><TD> </TD><TD> </TD></TR><TR class=oddrow vAlign=top><TD colSpan=2> </TD><TD>End of 4th Quarter</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Here is the Cincinnati fake FG game debacle. Keep in mind that USF had no TOs:

<table id="playTable" class="tablehead" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tbody><tr class="colhead" valign="top"><td colspan="3">Cincinnati at 2:00</td><td>UC</td><td>USF</td></tr><tr class="oddrow" valign="top"><td colspan="2" nowrap="nowrap">1st and 10 at USF 25</td><td>Jacob Ramsey rush for a loss of 4 yards to the SFla 29.</td><td class="bi" align="center">38</td><td class="bi" align="center">33</td></tr><tr class="evenrow" valign="top"><td colspan="2" nowrap="nowrap">2nd and 14 at USF 29</td><td>Timeout SOUTH FLORIDA, clock 01:51.</td><td> </td><td> </td></tr><tr class="oddrow" valign="top"><td colspan="2" nowrap="nowrap">2nd and 14 at USF 29</td><td>Greg Moore rush for 3 yards to the SFla 26.</td><td> </td><td> </td></tr><tr class="evenrow" valign="top"><td colspan="2" nowrap="nowrap">3rd and 11 at USF 26</td><td>Timeout CINCINNATI, clock 01:09.</td><td> </td><td> </td></tr><tr class="oddrow" valign="top"><td colspan="2" nowrap="nowrap">3rd and 11 at USF 26</td><td>Greg Moore rush for a loss of 2 yards to the SFla 28.</td><td> </td><td> </td></tr><tr class="evenrow" valign="top"><td colspan="2" nowrap="nowrap">4th and 13 at USF 28</td><td>Timeout CINCINNATI, clock 00:29.</td><td> </td><td> </td></tr><tr class="oddrow" valign="top"><td colspan="2" nowrap="nowrap">4th and 13 at USF 28</td><td>Jake Rogers rush for a loss of 11 yards to the SFla 39.</td></tr></tbody></table>

Here is what USF followed with:

<table id="playTable" class="tablehead" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tbody><tr class="colhead" valign="top"><td colspan="3">South Florida at 0:25</td><td>UC</td><td>USF</td></tr><tr class="oddrow" valign="top"><td colspan="2" nowrap="nowrap">1st and 10 at USF 39</td><td>Matt Grothe pass complete to Marcus Edwards for 20 yards to the Cincy 41 for a 1ST down out-of-bounds.</td><td class="bi" align="center">38</td><td class="bi" align="center">33</td></tr><tr class="evenrow" valign="top"><td colspan="2" nowrap="nowrap">1st and 10 at UC 41</td><td>Matt Grothe pass complete to Jessie Hester for 23 yards to the Cincy 18 for a 1ST down out-of-bounds.</td><td> </td><td> </td></tr><tr class="oddrow" valign="top"><td colspan="2" nowrap="nowrap">1st and 10 at UC 18</td><td>Matt Grothe pass incomplete to Carlton Mitchell.</td><td> </td><td> </td></tr><tr class="evenrow" valign="top"><td colspan="2" nowrap="nowrap">2nd and 10 at UC 18</td><td>Matt Grothe pass incomplete to Jessie Hester.</td><td> </td><td> </td></tr><tr class="oddrow" valign="top"><td colspan="2" nowrap="nowrap">2nd and 10 at UC 18</td><td>End of 4th Quarter</td><td> </td><td> </td></tr><tr class="evenrow" valign="top"><td colspan="2" nowrap="nowrap">2nd and 10 at UC 18</td><td>End of 4th Quarter</td><td> </td><td> </td></tr></tbody></table>

^^^ yeah , not too good.

i remember the wvu one too. And as i recall you got an over cash cause it ended up going to overtime.

Paul,

Do you rate depth somehow? What if a team has an awesome LT (ostensibly to protect a RH quarterback) and he goes down early in the year. How do you determine quality of the backup and adjust numbers accordingly? What if they move a senior RT into the LT spot and then bring in a red-shirt frosh to play RT? Do you have a procedure for adjusting numbers in those injury cases or is that too small of an issue to actually move a whole team's rating?

What is the most you would ever adjust a rating for one player? If McCoy/Bradford/Tebow go down could that power rating move 5 or more points?

Kyle, you posted that Uab-Okla last year. That is beyond hilarious. One of those where you want to throw something at the TV.

Garfather, certainly in the case of

a Tebow, Bradford or McCoy early in the season, those teams' power ratings are going down by more than 5 points.

Later in the year, however, John Brantley (Florida's backup), who reportedly had a strong spring, might have developed and be something more than serviceable. Same is true with Texas, with true freshman Garrett Gilbert almost certain to play this year and be McCoy's backup (Gilbert will be Texas' starter in 2010, so just cannot see the Horns redshirting him).

Gilbert, the son of former Cal QB and NFLer Gale Gilbert, rewrote the Texas HS record books and could be playing quite well fairly quickly.

As far as depth, I certainly assign power ratings from an "offensive perspective." The truth is, especially early in the season, some teams cannot score against their shadow. Since many of the lines in CFB are double digit and, in some cases, more than 20 points, the quality of non-starting skill position players and others does factor into my approach to assigning a PR and ultimately arriving at a pointspread on a game.

If you're laying considerable points, that second-team offense is probably going to need to score a touchdown.

When the LT goes down, oftentimes a team will switch the RT (since he is typically the team's second best tackle) and do some shuffling to account for the star player's loss as you pointed out.

Defenses obviously can move their people around to get their best rusher in the best possible position to do damage. A team that passes less than 40 percent of the time will typically be less affected by the loss of the LT. Also, one must consider the experience and talent level of the team's QB. A veteran QB who has some escapability is going to respond better to such a loss than the inexperienced, lead-footed QB who could easily be coerced into some poor decision-making.

Honestly, it is quite subjective. PRs should be moved dramatically, however, when certain key personnel is replaced by someone who, in many cases, has played very little if at all.

I feel like I'm sort of rambling (about to go drink some wine with the wife), but hopefully my response contributes something.

Good luck,
Paul

Unlike in the NFL, where the range of PRs from top-to-bottom is perhaps 15, it is more like 55 or 60 points in the colleges.

Back