Central Florida vs. Mississippi State

Blue_Chip

Money Addict
I cannot understand this line. I think Miss St should be favored, and every aspect I see points toward Miss St in this game.

- UCF would not be bowl eligible if they had played Miss St schedule this season
- Croom has history w/ the Liberty Bowl
- the Bulldog fans are incredibly excited about this bowl appearance
- Starkville is only three hours away from Memphis
- lastly, IMO, Miss St is simply the better team

Let me hear the arguments...

Friday, December 28, 2007
Croom's breakthrough season meaningful for many

<HR width="100%" noShade SIZE=1>By Chris Low
ESPN.com

STARKVILLE, Miss. -- The Mississippi State locker room was dripping with emotion on Nov. 23, the kind of raw emotion that knows no boundaries.
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 align=right border=0><TBODY><TR><TD width=5 rowSpan=2><SPACER height="1" width="5" type="block"></TD><TD width=300>
ncf_a_croom_300.jpg
</TD></TR><TR><TD width=300>[FONT=verdana, arial, geneva]Sylvester Croom returns to the Liberty Bowl 25 years after being an Alabama assistant in Bear Bryant's last game.[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>The sun was still a few hours from setting and outside Davis Wade Stadium the long-suffering Mississippi State fans were basking in their come-from-behind 17-14 victory over bitter rival Mississippi.
Left for dead -- much like the program when Sylvester Croom took over as the SEC's first black head coach in 2004 -- the Bulldogs rallied from 14 points down in the fourth quarter to ensure their first winning season and first bowl trip since 2000.
"Those last 10 minutes changed this program forever and they changed those young men's lives forever," Croom reflected recently as he sipped on a soft drink inside his office at the Bryan Athletic Administration Building.
"Until you come back in the fourth quarter to win a football game, you don't know what kind of team you are. It's the same way in life. Until you're down and things are going against you, you don't know what kind of person you are until you face that adversity and bounce back.
"They know now that you don't quit no matter what. It might cross your mind. It's only natural that it crosses your mind. But you never quit, and that's not a football lesson. That's a life lesson."
And a lesson that was drilled into Croom's head incessantly while he played for the legendary Paul W. "Bear" Bryant at Alabama.
It's one of the myriad things that were swimming through Croom's head that Nov. 23 afternoon as he gathered his team around him for the prayer. Normally, the team chaplain led the Bulldogs in the postgame prayer. But this time, it was Croom, the son of a minister and the architect of one of college football's most heartwarming turnarounds.
"You could just feel what he was saying, and it got to all of us … the players, the coaching staff, everybody," recounted Mississippi State offensive coordinator Woody McCorvey, who's known Croom for 25 years and was hand-picked by his friend to help revive a Mississippi State program that had been rocked by NCAA sanctions and sundry other off-field issues.
Only minutes earlier, Croom had been too overcome with emotion to do the postgame television interview. He recovered to take a few laps around the field carrying the giant Mississippi State flag.
But as he started to address his team inside the locker room, he nearly lost it again.
"His speech was the most heartfelt, surreal moment in our time here, and the joy Coach Croom displayed in his tears and his words is something many will always remember," said Brad Pendergrass, Croom's coordinator of football operations. "It was a true representation of who Sylvester Croom is."
The whole scene also tugged at the heart of outgoing Mississippi State athletic director Larry Templeton, the man who had the guts to hire Croom and stood staunchly behind him during the lean times those first three years, when the Bulldogs never won more than three games and lost to the likes of Maine, Tulane, UAB and Houston.
<INLINE1>"He gave me the game ball and asked me to say something," Templeton said. "Hell, I got so choked up that I couldn't say anything. Here the two of us were, standing in front of the kids. When Coach teared up, all the kids teared up.
"It was one of those special moments. It was more than just a football game."
Likewise, this is more than just a bowl trip.
It's only fitting that Croom's breakthrough into the postseason as the Bulldogs' coach will come Saturday in the Liberty Bowl, 25 years to the date after Bryant coached his last game in the very same bowl and died at age 69 less than a month later. That historic 21-15 victory over Illinois in the 1982 Liberty Bowl still resonates with Croom.
He was on the sideline for that game as one of Bryant's assistant coaches and was an All-America center under Bryant a decade earlier, when he was also one of the first five black players at Alabama when Bryant began integrating the program in the early 1970s.
To this day, two men continue to have a profound impact on the way Croom lives his life and the way he coaches and molds players: his late father, Sylvester Croom Sr., and Bryant.
"The two most important men in my life were my father and Coach Bryant," said Croom, whose mother, Louise, is still living and resides in Tuscaloosa, Ala. "Every day of my life, whether I'm on that field or anywhere else, I'm trying to measure up.
"They're still with me in so many ways."
The neat irony of Croom's Bulldogs (7-5) being in Memphis for the 25th anniversary of Bryant's last game isn't lost on anybody, especially the Bryant family.
After Mississippi State beat Alabama for the second straight season on Nov. 10, Bryant's son and one of the Crimson Tide's most influential boosters, Paul Bryant Jr., sent Croom a note congratulating him and telling him how special it would be if Mississippi State wound up playing in Memphis.
"I've really enjoyed the success he's had, other than against Alabama," Bryant said with a throaty chuckle, sounding very much like his dad. "I don't want to sound corny, but I pulled for them against everybody but us. He coaches the same way Papa did. There's a lot more to it than just football. His teams don't quit, and they go about it with class. But the life experience part is what sticks out."
Bryant, not above needling Croom a bit, didn't hesitate to dial up the pressure meter.
"Tell him to be sure to win the game," he quipped. "I congratulate him for getting in it, but he needs to win it."
The truth is that Croom's whole life has been about pressure.
Being one of the first black players to play at Alabama was pressure enough, not to mention growing up in segregated Tuscaloosa. Then came the burden of making sure that Bryant went out a winner 25 years ago, when Illinois was driving late in that game.
"I'm not sure they would have let any of us back in the state had we lost," Croom joked. "That was a game we all knew we had to win."
All that pales in comparison, though, to the pressure of being the first black head coach in the SEC and essentially having to start from scratch. Not only was Mississippi State about to go on NCAA probation after winning a total of four league games the previous three years, but the Bulldogs were at the bottom of the barrel (among the 11 public institutions in the SEC) in terms of dollars being spent on football.
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 align=right border=0><TBODY><TR><TD width=5 rowSpan=2><SPACER height="1" width="5" type="block"></TD><TD width=200>
ncf_a_mississippidefense_200.jpg
</TD></TR><TR><TD width=200>[FONT=verdana, arial, geneva]Mississippi State's win over Alabama earned kudos from Bear Bryant's son.[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>"Yeah, there was pressure. There still is pressure, and it transcends the game of football," Croom said. "If I didn't make it here, what kind of impact would it have on some other [minority] who was trying to better himself and his family? I thought about those things.
"But what I finally decided was that I wasn't going to get caught up in proving that a minority could do this job. I was going to prove that I could do this job, and everything else would take care of itself."
Initially, Croom told Templeton no thanks when the Mississippi State athletic director began courting him for the job. Croom had been an NFL assistant for 15 years and knew the task of rebuilding Mississippi State was a monumental undertaking.
"We didn't just need somebody to turn the program around, but we needed somebody like Coach Croom to come in and change the way people think about Mississippi State," said senior defensive end Titus Brown, an All-SEC performer.
"Mississippi State football was known for two things: drugs and thugs. That's one of the first things he told us, that you represent your family and you represent this university. If you embarrass either, you're not going to be here. There weren't any exceptions, and there still aren't.
"Those people who bought in thrived, and those who didn't are no longer with us."
Templeton thinks Croom is a year ahead of where he thought he would be at this point. Croom, in earning SEC Coach of the Year honors, won three of his last four games to get the Bulldogs into a bowl. It's also the first time since 1998 that they beat Alabama, Auburn and Ole Miss all in the same season.
"People just don't know how hard a climb it was and what Sylvester had to overcome," Templeton said. "He's never wavered."
As he looks back on it, Croom isn't sure he would have taken the job had it not been for the advice of one of his closest friends in coaching, the late Milt Jackson, a veteran wide receivers coach in the NFL who died of a heart attack two years ago.
"I wasn't going to do it, and Milt just told me that I had to," Croom recounted. "He said, 'Sylvester, for whatever reason, you've been chosen. If you don't take this job, it might be another 30 years before a black man gets a head coaching job in the SEC.'"
Determined to do it his way, Croom was scoffed at by some long-time Mississippi State fans and boosters who urged him to cheat.
"I heard people say you can't win in this state, Ole Miss and Mississippi State, unless you're buying players," Croom said. "That may be the way some people have done it, but I don't believe that. I actually had an alumnus come up to me and say, 'I like you. I like what you stand for. But if you're not paying players, you're never going to win and you're not going to be here very long.'
"I'll never be a part of that, and nobody on my staff will. I can promise you that. If I ever hear of any player involved in any situation where he was bought, I'll go to him myself, and if it's true, I'll go to the NCAA and turn ourselves in.
"I want to win, and we're going to do everything we possibly can to win. But we're not going to win that way."
Croom knows unequivocally what a win over Central Florida would do for his program heading into the offseason. The Bulldogs have some real momentum for the first time since Croom took over and want to keep that momentum. The Mississippi State fans undoubtedly feel it. They gobbled up more than 32,000 tickets for this game in less than four days.
The players also want to say thanks, one more time, to the coach who taught them what it takes to win.
"To me, the great coaches are the ones who can get it out of their players, get their players to lay it on the line every single down," said Brown, who lost both his father and grandfather during his time at Mississippi State and considers Croom a surrogate father. "We don't have the best players here at Mississippi State. The talent is getting better, because guys want to come be a part of what Coach Croom is doing here.
"But whether you're a five-star or one-star player, I promise he's going to get the absolute best out of you. That's something you can take with you the rest of your life, whether you're playing football or not."
His old coach with the houndstooth hat would be proud.

UCF at Mississippi State

<!-- button nav --><SCRIPT src="http://assets.espn.go.com/profile/lib/prototype-1.5.1.1-packer.js" type=text/javascript></SCRIPT>Preview Conversation
<!-- end button nav -->4:30 PM ET, December 29, 2007
Liberty Bowl , Memphis , TN

UCF-Mississippi St. Preview

MEMPHIS, Tenn. (AP) -- It's all about Kevin Smith.
The Liberty Bowl on Saturday offers plenty of story lines. There's Sylvester Croom's revitalization of moribund Mississippi State and George O'Leary's resurrection of Central Florida and his career. But all anyone wants to talk about is Smith's chase of Barry Sanders' single-season rushing record. Everyone except Smith, that is.
"If I get 50 yards and we beat Mississippi State, I'm the happiest guy in the world," he said. "If we get to 11 wins and I get to be on the field, I'm the happiest man in the world."
Smith needs 181 yards to break Sanders' record of 2,628 yards, set in 1988 at Oklahoma State. The junior pushed Central Florida (10-3) to seven straight wins and the Conference USA championship in the fourth year of O'Leary's tenure -- which began with a winless season in 2004 after a padded resume cost him a job at Notre Dame.
The Bulldogs (7-5), in the midst of a feel-good run after six years of three wins or less and three years of NCAA probation, want to keep the good vibes rolling for Croom, the 2007 Southeastern Conference coach of the year. Croom, the first black coach in the SEC, was under intense pressure to win and finally did.
Letting Smith run all over them on the way to a Liberty Bowl victory is not in the Bulldogs' game plan.
"He's a great running back, but we've already played against two great running backs in (Tulane's) Matt Forte and (Arkansas') Darren McFadden," Mississippi State safety Derek Pegues said. "We respect him, but we don't fear him."
There is reason to be leery, at least. Smith ran for an 80-yard touchdown the first time he touched the ball for the Knights this season and hasn't slowed down since.
Smith rushed for less than 124 yards just once while setting single-season and career marks at Central Florida for touchdowns (30 and 46) and yards (2,448 and 4,560). And he's done it in a lot of different ways.
He rushed for 320 yards and four touchdowns against Alabama-Birmingham, 284 yards and four more scores against Tulsa in the league title game and racked up 149 yards and two touchdowns against then-No. 6 Texas.
He finished with nation-leading averages of 188.3 yards and 13.9 points per game, scoring from 80 or more yards out three times. But he also had 39 or more carries in four games and has 415 going into the bowl.
Croom calls him one of the "smartest runners" he's seen.
"He has the explosiveness to get through the hole before the linebackers get there," said Croom, who coached Sanders as a Detroit Lions assistant.
"If the linebackers can fit the holes and stop him before he really gets going, then you've got a chance. But if he gets to the second level of your defense into the secondary level running with a full head of steam, then you've got a problem."
Smith, who recently announced he'd return for his senior season, is not old enough to remember watching Sanders, an elusive cut-back runner who was impossible to hem in for four quarters. As Smith passed runners such as Marcus Allen and LaDainian Tomlinson in his pursuit of Sanders, he got curious.
"When I found out I was close to his record, I did YouTube him and I'm nothing like that," Smith said. "I'll just be honest. Barry is awesome. He was a man among boys. Barry was an animal."
The Bulldogs are quick to point out that the Knights aren't powered by a single source. The offensive line is beefy and fleet, and quarterback Kyle Israel has taken advantage of defenses stacked to stop the run to complete 59.9 percent of his passes for 2,085 yards with 15 touchdowns and just eight interceptions.
Mississippi State has spent the requisite amount of time in practice working on stopping Central Florida's other working parts, but defensive coordinator Ellis Johnson said his mind won't often stray from the Bulldogs' toughest task.
"You always worry about (the pass), but I don't think you can take any attention off of (Smith)," Johnson said. "The statistics are proven. You rush for that many yards, you've got to put that first. You've got to stop that."

I agree = wrong team favored.............Bulldogs sold 32,000 tix...........UCF one-dimensional - stop Smith and its over..........

CF's QB isn't as bad...the key here is stopping Smith, many have tried, many have failed that's why he's near breaking the mighty record of Barry.

Good post chip .... agree with just about everything you say ,...... i also think wrong team is favored. lets cash it.

I can't wait to see UCF run all over State this bowl game. So many of State's wins were giftwrapped for them through bad QB play on the opposing side. (see Miss St's record int reception return for TD when Bama was going into score on the 10 yard line). UCF has been solid all season and doesn't turn the ball over. Without the benefit of stupid interceptions, Miss St is going to have to outplay UCF and they won't be able to do that with Smith running all over them. The line is where it is because State's season is a sham. UCF by 10 guys. :shake:

I'll gladly go against the board on this one. Remember, Ole Miss in our sorry ass state was beating state 14-0 in the 4th quarter of our final regular season game, and we are terrible. Coach O make some huge coaching mistakes and lost us the game 17-14, somehow. State is going to lose this game.

If you look at the BCS power rankings they are almost equal.

were these the same rankings that had north dakota state #18 in the country at one point this season?

i'm not trying to be sarcastic, i just remember one of the power rankings putting ndst in the top 20 at one point

UCF has been solid all season and doesn't turn the ball over. Without the benefit of stupid interceptions...

uhhhh, yep!

Pegues' two INTs give Mississippi State edge over UCF

<TABLE class=tablehead cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=3><TBODY><TR class=gamehead><TD colSpan=2></TD></TR><TR class=evenrow><TD>

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

<TABLE class=tablehead cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=3><TBODY><TR class=gamehead><TD colSpan=3>Team Stat Comparison</TD></TR><TR class=oddrow align=middle><TD align=left></TD><TD>
2116.gif
</TD><TD>
344.gif
</TD></TR><TR class=oddrow align=middle><TD class=bi align=left>1st Downs</TD><TD>13</TD><TD>10</TD></TR><TR class=evenrow align=middle><TD class=bi align=left>Total Yards</TD><TD>219</TD><TD>199</TD></TR><TR class=oddrow align=middle><TD class=bi align=left>Passing</TD><TD>88</TD><TD>39</TD></TR><TR class=evenrow align=middle><TD class=bi align=left>Rushing</TD><TD>131</TD><TD>160</TD></TR><TR class=oddrow align=middle><TD class=bi align=left>Penalties</TD><TD>3-25</TD><TD>5-45</TD></TR><TR class=evenrow align=middle><TD class=bi align=left>3rd Down Conversions</TD><TD>4-17</TD><TD>2-13</TD></TR><TR class=oddrow align=middle><TD class=bi align=left>4th Down Conversions</TD><TD>0-1</TD><TD>0-0</TD></TR><TR class=evenrow align=middle><TD class=bi align=left>Turnovers</TD><TD>4</TD><TD>1</TD></TR><TR class=oddrow align=middle><TD class=bi align=left>Possession</TD><TD>31:08</TD><TD>28:52</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<TABLE class=tablehead style="BORDER-RIGHT: #dcdcdc 1px solid; BORDER-TOP: #dcdcdc 1px solid; MARGIN: 0px; BORDER-LEFT: #dcdcdc 1px solid; BORDER-BOTTOM: #dcdcdc 0px solid" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=3><TBODY><TR class=gamehead><TD>Individual Leaders</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE class=tablehead style="PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 0px; BACKGROUND: #fff; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0px; MARGIN: 0px; PADDING-TOP: 0px" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR vAlign=top><TD style="WIDTH: 50%"><TABLE class=tablehead style="MARGIN: 0px 0px 5px" cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=3><TBODY><TR class=stathead style="BACKGROUND: #000000"><TD colSpan=5>UCF Passing</TD></TR><TR class=colhead align=right><TD align=left></TD><TD>C/ATT</TD><TD>YDS</TD><TD>TD</TD><TD>INT</TD></TR><TR class=oddrow align=right><TD noWrap align=left>Israel</TD><TD>10/24</TD><TD>88</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>3</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

</TD><TD style="WIDTH: 50%"><TABLE class=tablehead style="MARGIN: 0px 0px 5px" cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=3><TBODY><TR class=stathead style="BACKGROUND: #531122"><TD colSpan=5>Mississippi State Passing</TD></TR><TR class=colhead align=right><TD align=left></TD><TD>C/ATT</TD><TD>YDS</TD><TD>TD</TD><TD>INT</TD></TR><TR class=oddrow align=right><TD noWrap align=left>Carrol...</TD><TD>8/18</TD><TD>39</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>1</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

</TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD style="WIDTH: 50%"><TABLE class=tablehead style="MARGIN-RIGHT: 2px" cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=3><TBODY><TR class=stathead style="BACKGROUND: #000000"><TD colSpan=5>UCF Rushing</TD></TR><TR class=colhead align=right><TD align=left></TD><TD>CAR</TD><TD>YDS</TD><TD>TD</TD><TD>LG</TD></TR><TR class=oddrow align=right><TD noWrap align=left>Smith</TD><TD>35</TD><TD>119</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>15</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

</TD><TD style="WIDTH: 50%"><TABLE class=tablehead style="MARGIN-LEFT: 2px" cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=3><TBODY><TR class=stathead style="BACKGROUND: #531122"><TD colSpan=5>Mississippi State Rushing</TD></TR><TR class=colhead align=right><TD align=left></TD><TD>CAR</TD><TD>YDS</TD><TD>TD</TD><TD>LG</TD></TR><TR class=oddrow align=right><TD noWrap align=left>Dixon</TD><TD>24</TD><TD>86</TD><TD>1</TD><TD>24</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

</TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD style="WIDTH: 50%"><TABLE class=tablehead cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=3><TBODY><TR class=stathead style="BACKGROUND: #000000"><TD colSpan=5>UCF Receiving</TD></TR><TR class=colhead align=right><TD align=left></TD><TD>REC</TD><TD>YDS</TD><TD>TD</TD><TD>LG</TD></TR><TR class=oddrow align=right><TD noWrap align=left>Smith</TD><TD>3</TD><TD>12</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>5</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

</TD><TD style="WIDTH: 50%"><TABLE class=tablehead cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=3><TBODY><TR class=stathead style="BACKGROUND: #531122"><TD colSpan=5>Mississippi State Receiving</TD></TR><TR class=colhead align=right><TD align=left></TD><TD>REC</TD><TD>YDS</TD><TD>TD</TD><TD>LG</TD></TR><TR class=oddrow align=right><TD noWrap align=left>Ducre</TD><TD>3</TD><TD>10</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>7</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<TABLE class=tablehead cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=3><TBODY><TR class=gamehead vAlign=top><TD colSpan=6>Scoring Summary</TD></TR><TR class=colhead align=middle><TD align=left colSpan=4>SECOND QUARTER</TD><TD style="WIDTH: 30px">UCF</TD><TD style="WIDTH: 30px">MSU</TD></TR><TR class=oddrow><TD align=left>
2116.gif
</TD><TD>FG</TD><TD>11:49</TD><TD>Michael Torres 45 Yd
Drive: 5 plays, 18 yds, 1:43

</TD><TD align=middle>3</TD><TD align=middle>0</TD></TR><TR class=evenrow><TD align=left>
344.gif
</TD><TD>FG</TD><TD>06:02</TD><TD>Adam Carlson 22 Yd
Drive: 4 plays, 1 yds, 1:37

</TD><TD align=middle>3</TD><TD align=middle>3</TD></TR><TR class=colhead align=middle><TD align=left colSpan=4>FOURTH QUARTER</TD><TD style="WIDTH: 30px">UCF</TD><TD style="WIDTH: 30px">MSU</TD></TR><TR class=evenrow><TD align=left>
344.gif
</TD><TD>TD</TD><TD>01:54</TD><TD>Anthony Dixon 1 Yd Run (Adam Carlson Kick)
Drive: 10 plays, 59 yds, 3:53

</TD><TD align=middle>3</TD><TD align=middle>10</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

<!-- end right rail --><!-- begin recap text -->MEMPHIS, Tenn. (AP) -- Mississippi State's win in the Liberty Bowl was the kind of game coach Sylvester Croom's mentor would have loved.
Playing at the site of the Paul "Bear" Bryant's final game 25 years ago, the Bulldogs used power running and a dominant defense to beat Central Florida 10-3 on Saturday and earn a milestone win for the once dormant program.
<!-- INLINE TABLE (BEGIN) --><TABLE id=inlinetable cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=3 width=198 align=right border=0><TBODY><TR><TH style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000" colSpan=3>Shutting It Down</TH><TR style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ececec" vAlign=top><TD colSpan=3><TABLE cellSpacing=0 align=right border=0><TBODY><TR><TD width=2></TD><TD width=90>
344.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD width=2></TD><TD width=80></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>Mississippi State faced three of the top four rushers in the country this season, holding each of them well under their season average.

</TD></TR><TR style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #999999" vAlign=top><TD>Player, School </TD><TD>YPG </TD><TD>Yds vs MSU </TD>

</TR><TR style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" vAlign=top><TD>Kevin Smith, UCF </TD><TD>188.3 </TD><TD>119 </TD>

</TR><TR style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ececec" vAlign=top><TD>Matt Forte, Tulane </TD><TD>177.3 </TD><TD>47 </TD>

</TR><TR style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" vAlign=top><TD>Ray Rice, Rutgers </TD>
<TD>144.3 </TD><TD>-- </TD>

</TR><TR style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ececec" vAlign=top><TD>Darren McFadden, Arkansas </TD><TD>143.8 </TD><TD>88 </TD>

</TR>

</TBODY></TABLE><!-- INLINE TABLE (END) -->
"I've said quite often we don't need style points," said Croom, the Southeastern Conference coach of the year who played and coached under Bryant at Alabama for 11 seasons. "We just find a way to win."
Anthony Dixon powered in from the 1 for the winning touchdown with 1:54 to go and most valuable player Derek Pegues picked off two passes in a game featuring anemic offenses and 17 punts.
The Bulldogs (8-5) kept the Knights (10-4) out of the end zone and Kevin Smith from breaking the single-season rushing record. The junior finished with 119 yards, leaving him 61 shy of Barry Sanders' mark of 2,628 yards set for Oklahoma State in 1988.
"I was trying to find the holes, but they were playing faster than us," said Smith, who has already said he will return for his senior season.
It was the lowest scoring Liberty Bowl since Penn State beat Tulane 9-6 in 1979, but the pro-Mississippi State record crowd of 63,816 was rewarded for its patience as Dixon and the Bulldogs offense came alive late in the fourth quarter.
Croom, in his fourth season with Mississippi State, and the Bulldogs have played this way all year, resurrecting a program that hadn't won more than three games in six seasons.
As the Bulldogs did in big wins over Auburn, Kentucky and Alabama this season, they concentrated on the running game -- both on offense and defense. Smith found the going difficult in the second half and finished with an average of 3.4 yards per carry after rushing for 188.3 yards per game during the regular season.
"One thing about Mississippi State football is we pride ourselves in stopping the run, and I feel like we went out and showed the world how physical and how tough the defense is," defensive end Titus Brown said.
Dixon finished with 86 yards and became the seventh Bulldogs runner to go over 1,000 yards (1,066). But like the rest of the Bulldogs, he was ineffective much of the game.
The teams were tied 3-3 at halftime, mostly due to conservative play-calling and poor play from the quarterbacks. Passes were rarely aimed more than 5 yards downfield, and when they were thrown deep they were dropped or picked off.
Neither team converted a third down in the first half (0 for 16) as Mississippi State was held to 84 total yards and Central Florida to 79.
UCF quarterback Kyle Israel had 12 yards passing and two interceptions by halftime and Mississippi State's Wes Carroll had 15 yards and an interception. UCF also didn't get much help from kicker Michael Torres, who gave the Knights a 3-0 lead in the second quarter with a 45-yard field goal, but missed from 32 and 37 in the second half.
"I think those missed field goals were big momentum breakers," Central Florida coach George O'Leary said. "Give Mississippi State credit. They fought hard and didn't turn the ball over. That usually means you're going to come up with a close win like that."
Mississippi State finished with 199 total yards and Blake McAdams tied the Liberty Bowl record with 11 punts. But the Bulldogs came up with just enough big plays after Keith Fitzhugh picked off Israel's pass at the Mississippi State 41 with 5:47 left.
Carroll, pulled the series before, returned and responded with two rushes for 17 yards and two completions for 15 yards. All went for first downs and spurred a 10-play, 59-yard drive that consumed 3:53 and finally led to a touchdown.
Pegues, fittingly, made the final key defensive play, knocking down a fourth-down pass on UCF's final drive. The Bulldogs held the Knights to 219 yards and forced four turnovers.
The junior safety gave Mississippi State two excellent opportunities with interceptions in the first 30 minutes, returning the ball to Central Florida's 6 and 38. The safety's first pick set up a 22-yard field goal by Adam Carlson in the second quarter.
"He just threw it right to me both times, and I was lucky to catch the ball," Pegues said. "It goes along with the defensive line and the whole defense. They were able to get pressure and the coaches put me in the right position to make the play."
As for Croom, the season began with talk about the SEC's first black head football coach needing a winning season to save his job. It ended with the Bulldogs' first bowl victory since the 2000 Independence Bowl and no more questions about job security.

Congratulations if you played MSU. I dont know who was worse, UCF's qb or the field goal kicker who missed 2. Horrific game. Congrats :cheers:

it was ugly, and ramble was spot on with his key to victory, it's just that ucf made the mistakes they weren't supposed to in a big game.

Back