CC Sabathia 1 Hitter

wolverine5767

Pretty much a regular
How was this ruled a hit? I think it was an error. What you think?

http://mlb.mlb.com/media/video.jsp?mid=200808313397707

Wonder if the official scorer will change his mind? Doubt it.

The Brewers said they plan to send a DVD of the play and send it to Major League Baseball, asking that the call be overturned. However, according to baseball’s rulebook, only the official scorer may change a judgment scoring call.
If official scorer Bob Webb were to decide to change the call, it would be the first time in major league history a no-hitter was awarded retroactively.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/recap?gid=280831123

it defiantly should have been an error. MLB should correct it. :shake:

I thought it was an error watching it live. He had the ball in his hand and drop it before the guy was 40 feet down the line. That said, you can't retroactively change it to an error.

I thought it was an error watching it live. He had the ball in his hand and drop it before the guy was 40 feet down the line. That said, you can't retroactively change it to an error.

kinda like you can't replay the last 51.9 seconds of a basketball game because a star player was incorrectly fouled out?

you can do anything, whether they should is another thing.

Kinda makes you wonder how many of those games back before TV would have been decided differently if they wanted to go back and nit pick at every scoring decision.

but after watching the play its pretty clear that if he made a clean pick up CC would have easily thrown out LaRoche's slow ass.

good point about being able to and actually doing the right thing... I'd feel differently about it as well if it wasn't Sabathia that made the error, er... well you know what I mean... but was fatty Fielder or 3B or someone instead. Then I'd be pushing for more of an error.

I'd say the sneeking suspicion of the scorer would be CC dropped the ball on purpose because he felt the pitcher 'knew' the runner was going to be safe (remember, the scorer said afterwards he felt the runner was going to make it even if the pick up had been clean, rightly or wrongly) and therefore tried to deliberately take away the hit for an error to keep his no hit bid alive.

I'd say the sneeking suspicion of the scorer would be CC dropped the ball on purpose because he felt the pitcher 'knew' the runner was going to be safe (remember, the scorer said afterwards he felt the runner was going to make it even if the pick up had been clean, rightly or wrongly) and therefore tried to deliberately take away the hit for an error to keep his no hit bid alive.

That argument would have more merit if this occurred in the late innings, but this was just the bottom of the 5th, long way to go to a no hitter

No way they change it to an error. Then the MLB offices would be getting videos every week with requests to change rulings. Not a chance they set a precedent by doing it.

how i felt when i saw it... should be a hit

guys, how is this a hit? it's a clear error. How is it a hit?

That said, no way they change it, but he dropped the ball.

Back