Cavs - Bulls Trade - Andrew Bynum for Luol Deng

Well Deng was going to leave anyway no? They get three draft picks along with Bynum I believe

Luol Deng’s agent discusses the medical care his client ‘did not get’ after his spinal tap procedure
Ball Don't Lie By Kelly Dwyer Sep 23, 2013 4:15 PM
We’re usually loath to discuss ongoing contract negotiations, especially in regards to a player like Luol Deng – who is currently under contract to play one more season for the Chicago Bulls in 2013-14. With that in place, though, it appears as if there are no real current “ongoing contract negotiations” between the Bulls and Deng’s agent, Herb Rudoy.

Rudoy expressed as much, along with a few other damning indictments of the Chicago Bulls front office, in a recent discussion with NBA.com’s David Aldridge:

We never negotiated," Rudoy said Friday. "We had several meetings. One was to discuss the medical care he got, or did not get, after his spinal tap [in May], which was of great concern to him."
Deng missed the last two games of the Bulls' first-round series against Brooklyn and all of Chicago's East semifinal series against the Heat after suffering debilitating headaches following a spinal tap that was taken to determine whether he had developed meningitis. But he was upset that the Bulls' team physicians accompanied the team to Miami for the start of the series, leaving him alone in a Chicago hospital as he lost 15 pounds and became violently ill as spinal fluid leaked into his body. Deng was sick for weeks afterward.
"And we had another meeting to discuss whether they would discuss a contract," Rudoy said. "He [Forman] called me a week or two ago and decided they did not want to discuss a contract and that it would have to wait until after the season. I told them they'd have to wait until after July 1, because he would have to see what the market is, and that he would become a free agent. And I couldn't promise he wouldn't sign somewhere else. Now, he loves being there, and he loves playing for [coach Tom] Thibodeau. Loves playing for him. But he has to see what the market is."
The “or did not get” aside, in reference to the spinal tap? Yes, that’s a shot. And an appropriate one, too.

As we’ve discussed over and over in these pages, both in the diagnosis, the handling, and the on record discussion of Deng’s injury and illness, the Chicago Bulls completely botched what could have been a life-threatening situation for their two-time All-Star.

Even coach Tom Thibodeau, whom Deng’s agent lauds in this interview, went on record following Chicago’s game five loss to the Brooklyn Nets in telling the media that Deng was suffering from “flu-like symptoms,” completely leaving his workhorse out to dry as both media and fans criticized the league’s leader in minutes per game for sitting important contests out.

We’ve discussed the likelihood of Deng’s return, a 2014 departure, a possible extension, or trade viability here before. Rudoy’s comments to Aldridge, it should be noted, don’t exactly come off as negotiating through the press, or your typical agent-speak:

"I know there will be a terrific market for Luol Deng," Rudoy said. "Bulls fans should know he loves playing in Chicago. But if the Bulls don't want to give him an extension, he's obliged to take a look at the market and make a decision that's best for him."
There will be a terrific market. Again, as we’ve gone over before, Luol Deng probably isn’t worth a four-year, $48 million deal at this point in his career (even heading into his prime), but the sheer amount of teams with cap space next summer will likely drive his free agent number up. And the Bulls have a history of handling departures this way, distracting fans with other hoped-for baubles (highly regarded Montenegrin forward Nikola Mirotic, possible cap space, their rights to a future Charlotte Bobcats first round pick) while refusing to pay the luxury tax repeatedly.

The Chicago Bulls probably shouldn’t match a massive contract offer for Luol Deng. It doesn’t mean they’re handling any of this the right way, even if they end up in the exact right spot.

yeah they are releasing bynum....This will save them a bunch of money this year on a player they won't resign and they get three picks

@NickFriedell: In case there was any doubt, a league source says the Bulls will indeed be waiving Andrew Bynum. Bulls will be saving a lot of $$.

Cavaliers win that trade. Hands down

Very false. Theyll waive Bynum tomorrow. Prob go to Miami

@BillSimmons: Bulls drop into the lottery, get under tax (by waiving Bynum), get an extra pick. Smart. For Cavs... um... Deng makes them less of a mess?

Very false. Theyll waive Bynum tomorrow. Prob go to Miami

@BillSimmons: Bulls drop into the lottery, get under tax (by waiving Bynum), get an extra pick. Smart. For Cavs... um... Deng makes them less of a mess?

well if Deng signs in Cleveland, then the cavs win that trade.
Doubt that happens though

You guys actually think Bynum will go to Miami and play for the league minimum (or close to it)? I'll believe it when I see it, but I don't think there's anyway that douche would ever do that.

Bulls also going to amnesty Boozer at end of the year. Frees up a lot of money to play with rose next year if you feel that he wont get hurt again....

Bill Simmons is a moron

Really? I always thought he was a really good analyst. His book is full of stuff that takes a pretty bright mind to come up with. Plus he's a boston fan so how bad can he be…lol

I can't see any team that wants to improve signing Bynum…he is close to useless imo

"Bulls send F Luol Deng to the Cavaliers for the contract of C Andrew Bynum, as well as multiple draft picks.

The Bulls get Bynum's contract, and will waive him soon to avoid paying his remaining $6.3 million salary, and will also get a future (likely first-round) pick via the Kings, as well as the Blazers' 2015 and 2016 regular second-round draft picks, which were held by Cleveland. Additionally, if the Cavs are not in the Draft Lottery in 2015, the Bulls have the right to switch regular first-round selections with the Cavaliers. Deng should start at small forward immediately for the Cavs, sending Earl Clark to the bench, while Bynum is expected to be cut by the Bulls, making him an unrestricted free agent. The tank is on in Chicago, who we're guessing will now start Mike Dunleavy at small forward."

With salary and luxury tax savings, Bulls keep around $20 mil in their pockets. Along with draft picks, I think they did well. Happy as a fan. Wasn't looking for a future piece for Deng, just cap flexibility.

Now do I have faith Bulls use that cap space wisely and are able to convince someone to come? Eh.

I think the bulls made out a lot better than Cleveland did. Bulls save money, tank, and get picks. Cleveland gets a few more Ws, loses picks, and gets a worse draft pick and a first or second round playoff exit. I don't get it for the Cavs.

I think the bulls made out a lot better than Cleveland did. Bulls save money, tank, and get picks. Cleveland gets a few more Ws, loses picks, and gets a worse draft pick and a first or second round playoff exit. I don't get it for the Cavs.
If he leaves they do have the sign and trade option if they can get something good back

If he leaves they do have the sign and trade option if they can get something good back

this basically only helps if he's getting the max, right? or if someone is dying to lock him up for an extra year. which there's no way he's in high enough demand to get either of.

I don't think so.. I think there are ways around the cap with a sign and trade.

rumors abound that Bybum had relations with a Cavs asst's wife thats why he was suspended earlier and Cavs have been doing their best to cover that up

I think he went to the team that offered him the most money.

Im assuming he is Hibbert's backup. pretty decent pickup, can be a force down low if he gives a shit

^
this and a great opportunity to win a ring..
then someone will overpay for him next year.. Win win for him

Back