Carolinablue Week 9 Plays

carolinablue

College Football Guru
Tough week 8 to say the least as I ended up a less than stellar 1-4 (ugh), but at least I was smart enough to bank my guaranteed season profit goal after week 6, so weeks like these don't hurt as much as they would have, if I hadn't already assured myself of a profitable season this year.

Doesn't mean I am not researching like I did before I locked in the profit though, so banking the profit is by no means an excuse for the poor performance in week 8. Basically just means that it is a little easier to take weeks like this one, since I know I am already "up" on the year in terms of actual cash winnings, regardless of what happens from here on out.

Whether playing with "house money" or not, still hate losing, so gonna refocus and finish strong this season, as the week 6 profit check was just piece one of this year's puzzle, and I am way too greedy to stop at just a guaranteed profit for the season, so on to week 9 we go....

Year to Date 40-31

Road Favs 19-13
Home Favs 11-8
Road Dogs 9-6
Home Dogs 0-0
Totals 1-4 (brutal)

WEEK 9 PLAYS (all from the greek)
PSU -1 120
NEVADA -2.5 110
ULM +1 110
MTSU +14 120
NEB -9.5 120
KAN PK 110

Last edited:
JAYHAWKS PK 110

Note: Line is -1.5 at BM and Pinny but still Pk 110 at the greek.

Same goes for the Huskers which is up to 10.5 most places but still 10 at the greek.

All done for week 9. Card is locked and loaded for the weekend, as I will be out of town Tuesday through Friday on business, back in Charlotte late Friday night. Best of luck to everyone this weekend. Will catch up with you guys on Saturday if I don't get the chance to chime in either tonight or tomorrow night before I leave on Tuesday.

PSU line up to 2.5 110
MTSU line down to 12 110
Nevada line up to 3 110

Just in case someone missed it, Nevada was actually +1 for a few seconds at open, but when I hit submit, it kicked me out to a -2.5 unfortunately. Beat the move on PSU though as it changed right after I hit submit, so won't complain too much.

Seems like I finally guessed right on a few after missing terribly on moves the last few weeks.

got corn at 9.5 -110 at BM. I think I was one of the first to bet the openers b/c I was clicking refresh every other minute. Husker offense is rolling. I don't imagine Baylor is going to stop us.

got corn at 9.5 -110 at BM. I think I was one of the first to bet the openers b/c I was clicking refresh every other minute. Husker offense is rolling. I don't imagine Baylor is going to stop us.

Nice grab getting it at 110. I moved everything not at the greek over to the greek once I started on a nice roll, as I like the $35 withdraw in 1 day via fedex at the greek vs what BM offers. Definitely costs me some sweet opening lines, but the greek was pretty generous this week as they were once again a point or so off vs BM on some games, so I jumped on a few right away. MTSU is the best example as BM had already moved it to 12.5 110 but the greek still had it at 13.5 110, so I took it there as I like getting 14 120 against the shaky MSU offense in what should be a low scoring ugly game to say the least.

They actually had Fresno -1 which I knew was a mistake, but I have pointed out so many mistakes to those guys without even a thank you, so I just said forget it and moved on (knew they wouldn't honor it, so wasn't worth the hassle).

Best of luck this weekend!

A few random thoughts...

Like Tulsa -21 at home vs UCF, as the Knights just don't have the offensive firepower to keep up, and the Hurricane know they have to win every game from here on out by 30+ to have any chance of making a late run in the polls, as we all know that style points do count with the voters, whether they want to admit it or not.

Liked ND at 10 but was too slow so missed my shot at that number.

Kinda like EMU and North Texas, but was hoping for 28's not 24's on each.

Kinda like SMU, but was hoping for 14.5 in what should be a shootout.

Kinda surprised Fresno is dropping (now 16.5) as I would have figured closer to 21, but what do I know.

thanks and have a good week--interesting how they have treated you in response to your pointing out mistakes.

thanks and have a good week--interesting how they have treated you in response to your pointing out mistakes.

Yeah, interesting isn't quite the word I would use (haha), but I always find it odd, because I have pointed out a few this season, and it would be kinda nice to at least get a "hey, thanks for the heads up". Of course, a free play would be a nice token (even a measly $50 bucks would be a good customer service gesture, but hey whatever), but just find it weird that they don't even say thanks, but it has happened so often I don't even sweat it anymore I guess.

Thoughts on the PSU play?

I think Kansas is the right side in that game. Ton of points should be put up in that game.

I'm thinking we may see + money on KU at some point during the week, but if goes to -1 at Greek I will probably grab it.

Good luck on all your plays this week, and safe travels as well.

good luck this week carolinablue, definitely agree with a couple of those.

out of vada, PSU, and kansas will probably be on at least 2 of those 3... looks good

when you get a chance, any thoughts on UNC -3 this week? strongly leaning that way would love to hear your thoughts. thanks....

Thoughts on the PSU play?

I think Kansas is the right side in that game. Ton of points should be put up in that game.

I'm thinking we may see + money on KU at some point during the week, but if goes to -1 at Greek I will probably grab it.

Good luck on all your plays this week, and safe travels as well.

KU just moved to 1.5 at the greek to align with everywhere else.

Will try to drop some thoughts in around all my plays tomorrow night if I get the chance.

Yeah, interesting isn't quite the word I would use (haha), but I always find it odd, because I have pointed out a few this season, and it would be kinda nice to at least get a "hey, thanks for the heads up". Of course, a free play would be a nice token (even a measly $50 bucks would be a good customer service gesture, but hey whatever), but just find it weird that they don't even say thanks, but it has happened so often I don't even sweat it anymore I guess.

Funny you say that b/c the same thing has happened to me at 5Dimes three times before. I tell them about a mistake, they basically say oh yeah, whoops and then its see ya. Next time I notice one I am just going to tell them there is an obviously egregious error in the CFB/NFL lines and best of luck finding it. Maybe it will send them into panic mode for at least 5 minutes.

Funny you say that b/c the same thing has happened to me at 5Dimes three times before. I tell them about a mistake, they basically say oh yeah, whoops and then its see ya. Next time I notice one I am just going to tell them there is an obviously egregious error in the CFB/NFL lines and best of luck finding it. Maybe it will send them into panic mode for at least 5 minutes.

Greek makes constant mistakes on lines. CB knows my stance here - I used to tell them all the time, but then I just bet them and let them cancel the bet. Take some responsibility and put out the right number. During CBB season there would be mistakes almost daily (usually in the team totals).

Tech will beat Kansas. The Jayhawks are still getting respect from their season last year when they went they made it into the top 10, but look at their schedule; they played NOBODY last year

Tech will beat Kansas. The Jayhawks are still getting respect from their season last year when they went they made it into the top 10, but look at their schedule; they played NOBODY last year
Who has Tech played? I think Kansas will beat Tech by 14 or so. Look how Tech struggled against A&M.

Forgot to say, UNC should see if they can take any and all trips to Charlottesville off their schedule permanently. They totally outplayed the Hoos on both sides of the ball for 58 minutes, and then with 2 minutes left in the game, Marc Verica conjures up the ghost of Mike Groh and goes 85 yards for the tying TD after doing NOTHING all game. And then the partially blocked PAT that dribbled over the upright for the tie? Weird weird circumstances in yet another game that the Heels gave away @ UVa.

Good luck this weekend.

Kealoha Pilares, regarded by the coaches as the Hawai'i football team's best all-around offensive threat, has been told he will miss at least three weeks of playing time because of a sprained right foot.

"They said three weeks, but I'm kind of pushing it," said Pilares, a running back/slotback who hopes to compete in the Nov. 1 road game against Utah State.

Pilares said he suffered the injury to the top part of his right foot in the first quarter of Friday's game against Boise State.

X-rays did not show a separation of joints, which means the injury can heal without surgery.
He was in a walking boot this morning.
"I'm going to try to do all that I can," said Pilares, who is relying on ice treatments and elevation to ease the swelling.
<!-- SHIRTTAIL --><!-- TAGLINE -->

Hawai'i offensive coordinator Ron Lee said he is committed to improving a football offense that struggled in the second half of Friday's 27-7 loss to nationally ranked Boise State.

"Honestly, I don't feel any pressure," said Lee, who has endured scrutiny from critics this season. "I wish we could be doing better for the team's sake."

The Warriors have been shut out in the fourth quarter of five consecutive games. After a strong start against Boise State, the Warriors imploded in a four-interception second half. Inoke Funaki was intercepted five times in the nationally televised game.
Lee said Funaki made "some great throws and he made some bad ones," but that not all of the interceptions could be blamed solely on the junior quarterback.

"There was basically some miscommunication and some pressure," Lee said. "One of the interceptions, (Funaki) got hit in the arm as he released the ball."
Lee said the Warriors are supportive of Funaki, who will remain as the No. 1 quarterback for Saturday's game against Nevada.

Lee said Funaki has the best grasp of the Warriors' version of the run-in-shoot offense, which employs more rushing plays than in past seasons.

"No question, he's further along in what we're trying to do," Lee said. "We evaluate everything (the quarterbacks) do in practice. It's not just what they did in games last year. It's what they do in practice. Funaki is the guy who does the best in practice, or else we'd go with somebody else."

Lee praised the progress of top backup Greg Alexander, who transferred from Santa Rosa College in May. Against Boise State's second-team defense, Alexander was 3 of 4 for 44 yards. He was sacked twice.

Lee said Alexander has a strong arm and, at 6 feet 4, has a clear view of most of the passing lanes. But Alexander, according to Lee, is not as advanced in the running phase as Funaki.

Lee said Tyler Graunke, who is at least fourth on the depth chart, is trying to catch up for missing most of the team conditioning drills in the winter and summer, and all of training camp. Because Graunke was working on clearing up academic issues, he did not spend as much time in weight training as he had in past years.

The Warriors opted to incorporate more running plays into the offense to keep opponents from either dropping eight defenders into coverage or blitzing every down.
Lee said Funaki's mobility has put the pressure on defenses. "He can move around," Lee said.

Lee said Funaki played well in the first half against Boise State. A sure touchdown pass was dropped. A reception that would have given UH a first-and-goal was nullified because an offensive lineman was aligned too far off the line of scrimmage.
"I think Funaki is getting better every week with his throwing," Lee said. "No question about that."

But Lee said Funaki still is in the learn-as-he-plays phase of his career. "Colt (Brennan) went through the same thing his first year (at UH)," Lee said.
Lee noted that Funaki played in mostly "clean-up" roles the past two seasons. As the No. 3 quarterback last year, he received only a few reps every day in 7-on-7 and team drills.

"The good things he's doing are still outweighing the interceptions," Lee said.
The Warriors might be even further hindered this week. Kealoha Pilares, the team's best rusher and a capable slotback, suffered an injury to the top part of his right foot against Boise State. Pilares did not play the final three quarters. He was wearing a medical boot after the game, and is scheduled to undergo medical tests this week.
<!-- SHIRTTAIL --><!-- Check for "contributed" --><!-- Check for Mike Hughes --><!-- TAGLINE -->

Baylor Coach Art Briles had the low, introspective tone Sunday of a coach whose team just got slapped around pretty good in a 34-6 loss to Oklahoma State.
But he did talk a little Nebraska football in his Sunday teleconference, specifically about NU fans, whom he witnessed in 2001 when he was a part of a Texas Tech staff that came to Lincoln and lost to the Cornhuskers 41-31.
“They were rolling pretty good back then,” Briles said of NU’s 2001 squad, which featured Heisman Trophy winner Eric Crouch and finished 11-2. “I really remember the environment was a great college atmosphere. The fans, albeit solid for Nebraska, were very respectful to the game of college football. That stuck in my mind.”
Briles left Tech shortly thereafter to coach at Houston, where his spread offense won acclaim and converts. Now he's trying to turn around the Bears, who haven’t sniffed a bowl in years, much less had a winning season.
The early returns have been positive. True freshman quarterback Robert Griffin looks like the next Vince Young, having already accounted for 1,704 total yards, 17 touchdowns and zero – yes, zippo – interceptions in 155 attempts. That’s a Division I Bowl Subdivision record for freshmen.
“It’s been good so far,” Briles said. “He’s very intelligent with the football, very conscious. I think all that adds up to having a chance to minimize turnovers.”
Although the Bears were badly beaten by OSU and Oklahoma (49-17), Briles said “there’s not that big of a discrepancy” between those top ten teams and his own. Having Griffin helps, of course, but Briles, ever confident, isn’t conceding anything after years of surrender in Waco.
“We feel like we’re not that far off,” Briles said. “But we understand that we have to play almost error free to have opportunities to win games of that nature, but that’s the way it should be each week anyway. We feel like we should be a good enough football team to play error free and capitalize on opportunities.
“We’ve got a team of guys who believe in each other and fight hard for each other.”

BOWLING GREEN, Ky. — Maybe it wasn't Rusty Smith's shoulder injury that ailed Florida Atlantic's offense the past month. Charles Pierre's turf toe may have been the real reason behind the decline.

Pierre's record-breaking night gave Florida Atlantic a 24-20 victory Saturday over Western Kentucky at L.T. Smith Stadium.The victory was the first in six weeks for the Owls (2-5), snapping four-game losing streak.

"Just for the team's confidence, for the season's sake, everything was on the line," linebacker Frantz Joseph said. "We needed this win, bad."
Coach Howard Schnellenberger called it a "turnaround game."

"This win was better received by our football team than many other wins we've had in grander fashion," he said.

Pierre rushed for a school single-game record 192 yards, which included the longest run in school history, a 74-yard touchdown that came just one play after Western Kentucky had taken a 10-point lead late in the first half.

"If we hadn't gotten the win it would mean nothing to me," said Pierre, who also scored on an 8-yard run early in the second quarter.

Pierre looked like the player who is the school's career leading rusher for the first time since suffering a turf toe injury three games ago against Minnesota. The senior from Orlando was limited to 49 yards in the past two games, including just 8 in the Owls' 30-17 loss to Troy.

Pierre took advantage of the 11-day break between games and looked rejuvenated during practice last week. It showed on the Owls first series when he gained 33 yards on FAU's first possession and then, with 6:38 remaining in the half, he busted loose for the record breaking run.

"I put all the pain aside," he said. "I know the team really needed me and really needed this win."

Smith, who revealed last week he played the early part of the season with a dislocated left (non-throwing) shoulder, had one of his more efficient games, completing 15 of 23 passes for 174 yards and a touchdown.
More importantly, Smith did not throw and interception after tossing eight in his past three games, although he was responsible for the Owls' lone turnover, a fumble that resulted in a Western Kentucky (2-6) field goal.

"I was very good to not throw an interception tonight," Smith said. "That is something I was very happy about."

The Owls overcame sloppy play and several mistakes. The defense was shredded by Western Carolina's running game that accounted for 240 yards, the receivers had several dropped passes and both units were hurt by untimely penalties.
"This will be a win in overcoming stupidity and other game errors," Schnellenberger said.

The Hilltoppers appeared ready to retake the lead late in the third quarter but Ed Alexander intercepted Dexter Taylor's pass into double coverage in the end zone, ending Western Kentucky's drive on the 16.

The Owls took advantage by tacking on a 23-yard Warley Leroy field goal on the ensuing drive to expand their lead to 24-20.

"It was all going in slow motion," Alexander said. "I recognized the play from practice. They ran it a lot in previous games. ... Pretty much when it left his hands I knew I had to get it."

Western Kentucky, a transitional team that will become a full-fledged member of the Sun Belt Conference next season, had one more chance late in the game after the Owls committed three consecutive penalties on third down and had to punt with less than four minutes remaining.

But on fourth-and-3 from their own 35, FAU linebackers Andre Clarke and Ed Braswell stuffed quarterback David Wolke after a 1-yard gain.
The Owls then ran out the clock.

"This is a very big momentum booster for us," Smith said. "A good morale booster."

Back