carolinablue

College Football Guru
Year to Date Record 26-19 (58%)

Road Dogs 8-4
Road Favs 11-7
Home Favs 7-6
Home Dogs 0-0
Totals 0-2

Everyone who has known me for a while knows that there are two things that I do best, and they are under the radar games and big time chalk games, so without further ado, feast your eyes on a carolinablue special, as there is enough under the radar and chalk on this card to last a lifetime, but hey, if it ain't broke, don't fix it!

A whopping 13, yes count em 13 plays, and not a dog in the entire bunch. Hey, that's what I do, so going back to what works for me.

BYU -28 110
MD -13 110
WMU -4 110
TEXAS -13 110
CAL -9.5 110
NEVADA -23.5 110
OKLAHOMA -27 110
TULSA -13 110
ULL ML 120
FRESNO -20.5 110
VT -28 110
TEXAS TECH -6 120
NEW MEXICO -11 110
RICE/TULSA OVER 80 110

Last edited:
Also, for the hell of it, I put 2 bucks on the following parlay to win 671.70. Just posting b/c I wouldn't even believe myself if this actually hit and I didn't have it posted haha.

All spread plays...BYU, WMU, TEX, CAL, NEV, TUL, NM, FRES, VT

Good looking list of favs CB. Really think I may join you with Nevada. Idaho has to have the worst defense in the country and the Wolfpack should be able to run for 500 yards. GL this week.

Once again this week the greek opened at between 0.5 and 1 point variance vs both BM, so make sure you check both sites for the best value if you happen to have cash at both.

love a lot of those CB..... TTU and Cal were two of the ones i was looking at before the lines came out and with those numbers will prolly play em both

possibly adding BYU-texas- and tulsa as well.... and not against any others.
looks like we're on the same page this week

great win for your boys this weekend with sexton leading the charge...
one of the best games to watch this wekeend
would have liked to see butch roll with him in the VT game as well!

BYU at anything under 34 is solid as I see them getting 50+ here as they know they have to continue to win in impressive fashion against these horrible teams, so that they can keep moving up in the polls. USU will not be able to stop the explosive attack of BYU and they don't have the firepower to keep up as this one has 52-10 written all over it.

Maryland should be good at anything under 16 as they should be able to get at least 30 and I don't see UVA getting more than 14 as their offense is a mess right now, and they pretty much gave up this weekend once they fell behind. I expect more of the same next weekend as Maryland should be able to get 200+ on the ground in this one.

WMU has value b/c of the poor showing yesterday. They should win by at least a TD at home in this one as they played probably their worst game in about 2 years on Saturday and still pulled out the win by 4, mainly due to the strength of their defense surprisingly enough.

Texas I like at anything under 17, although the Buffs are usually a tough matchup. Mainly a value play here as I can no longer ignore how good Texas has looked on the offensive side of the ball the last few weeks.

Cal I like b/c I see them on a redemption tour of sorts after the Maryland loss a couple weeks back. They know they need to roll everyone in their path to work their way back up the ladder.

Nevada I like up to 30 as Idaho has no defense and more importantly no heart. They will have their bags packed and tent folded midway through the 3rd as usual.

Oklahoma is one I should have just kept playing every week like I said I was going to. They should get 52+ and I don't see Baylor getting more than 17 at the most.

Tulsa line is soft b/c their defense didn't show up against I-AA Cent Ark yesterday, and also b/c Rice put up the double sevens against SMU. Not fooled here as Tulsa gets revenge big time and slices and dices that defense for 60 or more. Also will take the over as long as it isn't in the 80's.

ULL is gaining confidence week in and week out playing against the big boys, and I expect them to parlay that confidence into a solid 60min effort against ULM as the experience the Cajuns have gained in the early going will be invaluable as they enter SunBelt play.

Fresno line now up to 22, I think it will get to 24 or more by Saturday. I see 50+ in this one for the Bulldogs and Hawaii simply doesn't have the guns to keep up.

Va Tech is a tricky one as I don't like having to lay 4 TDs with this inept offense, but I look for at least 1 special teams and 1 defensive TD from the Hokies, meaning I only need 3 scores from the offense, as I don't see WKU getting more than 7 on the tough Hokie defense. This one has 35-3 or 31-0 written all over it.

Texas Tech line went from 8 to 7 to 6.5 so figured I would grab it at 6 as I am not impressed with the KSU defense at all and I expect TT to win this one in a wild shootout.

New Mexico line keeps dropping from 14 to 11 so hope I caught the best line and that it doesn't fall to 10. Either way, don't think it makes a difference as the Lobos will run run and run some more on the Cowboys just like Air Force and BGSU did. NM doesn't need a QB as they can just line an H-back up in shotgun behind center all day and still beat these hapless and heartless Cowboys by 2 TDs at home.

The ones that just barely missed the cut by the way were UCLA, FIU, BGSU, OREGON, UCF, BC.

I like this matchup for UCLA but was hoping to only have to lay 14, not 17. WSU is a mess, but not sure I trust that UCLA defense enough to blow anyone out just yet.

FIU is getting better, while North Texas is well North Texas. With that said, not ready to lay 7 with a team that has only won 2 of its last 28 games, enough said.

BGSU can put points on the board, but I really don't think EMU is as bad as they have looked these past few weeks. Was hoping to only lay 17 here, as 21 puts this one out of reach.

OREGON is an interesting one, b/c who knows how USC will come out emotionally in this one. They still have an outside shot if a few breaks go their way, but they know they have to basically slaughter everyone in their path from this point forward, and that is the only reason I am not biting on the +17 right now. If it keeps rising, may be worth it from purely a value standpoint.

UCF is a borderline play for me right now as I told myself I would play it if the line was 13.5 or better and it is sitting on 14 right now. Just not sold on the UCF offense, as SMU should provide them with an opportunity to get back on track, but not sure I wanna chance it b/c they just seem like they are not clicking this year for some reason, but not sure why.

BC would have been a play if I would have jumped at the 6.5 line but missed it, so not as excited about having to lay 8.5 in this one, as BC is another one of those erratic teams that hasn't proven to me they can pile it on from an offensive standpoint. This could end up being an ugly low scoring game, so I don't want to have to sweat it out in the 2H as BC could very well end up settling for FGs vs TDs and that kills these kinds of spreads obviously.

Just wanted to give some perspective on a few that I couldn't quite pull the trigger on, plus show you guys that I did at least consider 1 dog play haha.

Best of luck this weekend!

I don't trust Texas.

They played nobody this year and really don't play that well on the road.

Texas may not cover but the above reasons are not among them.

I am more concerned about Colorado having this game circled since 2005 and Texas could be looking ahead to a #5 vs. #1 battle with OU the following week.

Same reason I won't be playing OU this week.

Added Rice/Tulsa over 80 110.

Tulsa should put up 63 and I predict Rice to get at least 35, so 80 seems generous to me as I am expecting 95+. No sign of rain or wind in sight this weekend in Tulsa, so weather should be a non factor with regard to the total. Tulsa coach did speak out about how they will have a renewed focus on defense vs Rice, since he was disappointed in their performance vs Central Arkansas, but don't think it will matter, as worst case this one will be something like 52-35 as Rice will get a number of scores against the Tulsa secondary, whether it be due to blown coverage or trick plays.

GL CB - I'm on MD and TT with early plays this week. Also have taken notice of that ULL team and want to look into them further.

Looks like I jumped too early on OU and Texas, as both have moved against, but hey it happens sometimes when you are an early line player like I am. Not gonna worry too much about it though as it looks like I made out good on others like Tulsa which is now all the way up to 16, and BYU which is now up to 29.5 to name a few. Haven't been around much this week, but will try to make up for lost time later tonight if I can.

WESTERN MICHIGAN NOTES

Fresh off a less-than-thrilling 7-3 victory over Temple, the Broncos roll into Homecoming at Waldo Stadium with a record of 4-1 overall and 2-0 in the Mid-American Conference's West Division.
Ohio, meanwhile, is 1-4, 0-1.
"They're about three plays from being unbeaten," Cubit said of the Bobcats.

"We don't even look at records. We just look at plays and look at tape and they're a good football team."
Led by former Nebraska coach Frank Solich, the Bobcats have to qualify as the country's scariest 1-4 team. Ohio has lost its four games by a total of 24 points, including a three-point setback to MAC favorite Central Michigan and a 16-8 defeat to undefeated Northwestern.

But that doesn't even tell the story of Ohio's biggest heartbreaker. In Week Two, the Bobcats led then-No. 3 Ohio State in the fourth quarter before a fumbled punt turned momentum in the Buckeyes' favor and eventually led to a 26-14 OSU triumph.
Still, that game film is enough to show Western this isn't some run of the mill 1-4 opponent.

"They had Ohio State on the ropes in the fourth quarter," said Broncos star receiver Jamarko Simmons.
"We can't come out with a slow start. We have to get a great start this week because we know those guys can put points on the board and they have a great defense."
Although Western managed just 36 rushing yards against Temple, the Broncos feel good about scoring the fewest amount of points (7) in a win since 1995.

"We're just real lucky that we got out of that game," said Cubit, whose team is 2-0 in the MAC for the first time in his four years as head coach.
Cubit said it was a combination of Western's poor offensive execution - dropped passes, penalties, bad footwork - and a talented Temple defense that contributed to the ugly offensive output.

"Going into that game, I thought it would be a struggle offensively," Cubit said. "But I'm disappointed that we didn't move the football better than we did."
On the bright side, Western's defense was excellent, holding the Owls to less than 200 yards of total offense and six three-and-outs.
"For them to focus in the whole time, I thought was a major step for our defense," Cubit said.

Ohio's offense is led by quarterback Boo Jackson, who completed 16-of-23 passes for 287 yards and three touchdowns in a 51-31 win over Virginia Military Institute last week.

Texas vs Colorado Preview

The Longhorns get conference play started this week with a road game against the Colorado Buffaloes. Texas has been on a roll, while CU enters the game after suffering their first loss of the season last week in Florida State. Last year, Colorado shocked Oklahoma in Boulder the week before the UT-OU showdown so Texas will have to show up to play and not look ahead to Dallas if they want to leave undefeated.
When Texas has the ball

Quarterback Colt McCoy has played as good as any other quarterback in the country. McCoy has played as good as any player in the country. Period. The guy has done everything for the Longhorns: he runs, he passes, he pooch punts, if he cleaned the locker room and prepared the food would you be shocked? Me neither. A great quarterback gives a football team a chance to win every game. McCoy is a great quarterback, and shows no signs of slowing down in the first test Texas faces this season. The offensive line has been above average. While the pass coverage has been outstanding, this group must take some of the blame for a lack of production from the backs. Colorado has given up a ton of yards in back to back games to West Virginia and Florida State. A good day would be great for confidence heading into OU week.

The Colorado defense is simple, but good. They don’t blitz a lot, they don’t disguise coverage, they play mostly zone. Expect Texas to pass, and do it often with McCoy getting pre-snap reads on virtually every play. Texas is hopeful running back Foswhitt Whittaker will be back this weekend. Couple the darting style of Whittaker with the emergent bruising style of Cody Johnson and the struggling Longhorn backfield could become one of the better tandems in the nation. Take into account that both of them are freshman and it should ease the anxiety of a Longhorn fan base that is used to stars toting the rock.

The biggest concern for Texas fans should be the inability of Malcolm Williams, and to a lesser extent Dan Buckner, to become a deep threat that opposing coaches must worry about. I can not remember one deep ball thrown to either of these guys when the ball wasn’t near the goal line. Quan Cosby and Jordan Shipley have been very good, but with the loss of Blaine Irby a threat down the field needs to replace the threat in the middle to allow space for Cosby and Shipley. If the offense can’t find one, the room Shipley and Cosby have been enjoying will dry up quickly.
When Colorado has the ball

Last week we finally got to see what Will Muschamp is going to do with the Texas defense. Attack, attack, attack. The Longhorn defense was flying to the ball, and when they got their they made sure Arkansas ball carriers remembered it. Never under Mack Brown has a defense been as fast and aggressive as the defense was this week. When the knowledge and experience that only comes with game snaps catches up with the raw talent and energy of this defense this group is going to remind a lot of people of the old Miami and Florida State defenses UT fans used to beg for. Mack Brown’s best coaching move may be hiring Will Muschamp when it is all said and done.

On offense Colorado is just a solid football team. They don’t do a lot of things great, but they don’t hurt themselves. These are the types of teams that can jump up and bite a better team. If Texas makes mistakes and lets Colorado hang around, the home crowd could put them over the top. However, these types of teams can also be overwhelmed if the better team applies pressure from the beginning. The best way to silence a crowd is to make big plays with your defense.

UT has already scored twice this year on the defensive side of the ball. Texas is ranked in the top 10 in scoring defense, and has been applying a ton of pressure the last two games. The combination of Brian Orakpo and Sergio Kindle has to keep opposing quarterbacks awake at night. With those two coming off the edge, it has almost been a guarantee someone is getting to the quarterback. Add Lamarr Houston, Henry Melton, Sam Acho, and Eddie Jones, and you can see how Texas has recorded seven sacks in each of the last two games.

Muschamp biggest contribution could be the job he is doing as the linebackers coach. Last year this same group of players looked lost in many situations. The scheme seemed to have them playing on their hills, a skill the collective group lacks. The scheme brought in by Muschamp has the linebacker’s core playing downhill and loving it. And while the group of Rashad Bobino, Roddrick Muckelroy, Sergio Kindle, and Jared Norton have been great; the next great linebacker at Texas may have had his coming out party against Arkansas in the second half. His name is Keenan Robinson. The freshman was everywhere, and just appeared to be playing at a different speed. Muschamp loves speed. I don’t know whose snaps will be taken away, but Robinson is going to play more and more.

The secondary is coming together, and it has all hinged on the play of safety Earl Thomas. The secondary is what it is, but if Thomas can play with his swagger, and the front seven keeps applying pressure they have a chance to improve greatly. The best friend to a secondary is a pass rush, and I expect Texas to blitz a lot from here on out. The young secondary will get beat a few times, but so far they have gotten better each week. Muschamp will make sure that continues.

Utah State Notes

Utah State is expecting a packed house at Romney Stadium in Friday night's matchup with nationally ranked BYU.
And a packed house at Romney Stadium could be the best thing that's happened to the Aggies' program in a few years.
It's widely expected that this game won't be close. It's expected that the Cougars will be playing their second and third string by the start of the fourth quarter.
But as long as the crowd reaches 25,000, which is maximum seating, this could be considered a victory for a USU program that needs more big wins like the one over Idaho almost two weeks ago.
The NCAA mandates a 15,000 average in fan attendance over rolling two-year periods in order to have continued full-fledged status in the Football Bowl Subdivision.
Failure to do so could result in noncompliance, which could result in restricted membership.
This isn't the first dance for the Aggies in this regard. USU received a "courtesy" letter from the NCAA at the beginning of the 2006 season as one of 12 schools that didn't meet the requirement in 2005.

And the numbers haven't been that encouraging this season, which is a compliance year for USU. With a little over 19,000 against Utah and a bit over 10,000 against Idaho, the Aggies are just under the limit heading into Friday.

"We're aware that this is our compliance year and we have our eyes open on the issue," Utah State Athletics Director Scott Barnes said. "I've been encouraged by the number of tickets we've sold before the game. We're definitely keeping our eye on the ball, but we're not concerned."
The Aggies know that winning is the one thing that will equate to ticket sales. The BYU game will be sold out because the Cougars' fan base is strong and because there will be plenty of BYU graduates in town due to the LDS Church's General Conference.

But fan interest for the remainder of the season will be performance-based. After the BYU matchup, a two-game road trip ensues at San Jose State and Nevada. Playing at home against Fresno State is expected to generate interest because of homecoming, but there are no guarantees after that.

The Idaho game, a 42-17 win, does help because for one game, Utah State showed that it can be explosive against similar competition. And if the Aggies show promise, the fans will be more apt to turn out at remaining games. Should Utah State go the other way, it would take the gigantic risk of running afoul of the NCAA.
And that's something nobody in the Aggies program wants to think about.

"A sellout against BYU would be a wonderful statement," Barnes said. "The signs are very encouraging. The season tickets sold are much higher this year compared to last year. So there is excitement around the program."

BYU Notes

PROVO — Through its first two games of the season, BYU's defense managed to cause only two turnovers. In their last two contests, however, the Cougars have come up with 10 turnovers.

The high number of takeaways helps explain why BYU has crushed its last two opponents by a combined score of 103-0.
"Turnovers are something we strive to create every game, obviously. The first couple of games, we didn't create as many as we had hoped," said linebacker David Nixon. "That's something we addressed as a defense, that we needed to create some turnovers and get the ball into the offense's hands. Fortunately, these last couple of games we've focused on that and it's come out in our advantage."

BYU leads the nation in forced fumbles (10) and it has recovered eight of those. Last year, the Cougars recovered only four of 12 opponent fumbles the entire season. Apparently, recovering fumbles is contagious. Nine different players (Nixon, Spencer Hadley, Matt Bauman, Blake Morgan, Jan Jorgensen, Scott Johnson, Vic So'oto, Jeff Bell and Coleby Clawson) have forced fumbles and seven different players (Brett Denney, Matt Ah You, Ian Dulan, Johnson, Kellen Fowler, Shiloah Te'o and Nixon) have recovered fumbles this year.

"It has a lot with just executing," Nixon said about forcing fumbles. "Those first couple of games, we weren't trying to strip the ball, we weren't trying to make those big plays. We were kind of playing on our heels a little bit. These last couple of games, we've really come out with a lot of emotion and really come out swinging, basically, and tried to create some turnovers."

Recovered fumbles were a big catalyst in BYU's victories over UCLA and Wyoming. Against the Bruins, the Cougars pounced on three fumbles during three consecutive UCLA drives in the first half. Against the Cowboys, Johnson returned a fumble 64 yards for a touchdown just minutes into the game.
Coach Bronco Mendenhall said forcing fumbles has been an emphasis since last January with a defense that returned only three starters.

"We didn't think (last year) we were playing physical enough to jar the football loose, nor were we stripping enough to create more turnovers," Mendenhall said. "And we realized with this particular team, with the lack of experience coming back, we are going to have to rely more on possibly taking the ball away than just being effective on third down. We're going to have to do something else to keep points down."
After the heavy emphasis on turnovers, Fowler is happy to see that work pay dividends in the games.
"It's good that we were able to come through and execute the way we wanted to and the way we've been taught to and to actually have it show up on the field was a good step forward," he said. "We hope to continue those ways, to continue to hit guys hard and try to get into the passing lanes more.

"We have such a great offense, we know if we can create turnovers, they're going to put points on the board," Fowler continued. "When we're ahead in that turnover battle, it's usually going to be a good result to the game overall for our team."

SHUTOUT STREAK: With back-to-back shutouts of UCLA (59-0) and Wyoming (44-0), can the Cougar defense post its third straight shutout when it faces Utah State on Friday night? The last time BYU and USU played, in 2006 at Provo, the Cougars held the Aggies scoreless, 38-0.

Before this season, BYU hadn't recorded two straight shutouts since 1985, when it blanked Wyoming (59-0) and Utah State (44-0) — coincidentally, the same two scores as this year's shutouts. The Cougars posted consecutive shutouts six times between 1924-1938, including four shutouts in a row in 1937.
Fowler said he and his teammates aren't talking much about pitching another shutout. "That's one of those things that if you focus too much on those kinds of factors, you'll lose sight of the plays and assignments you need to do in the moment," he said. "If we do our exact assignment on every single play, we have a chance to do great things. If that leads to a shutout, all the better. But the focus can't be on that.

Will BYU try to "run up" the score to impress the pollsters?

Several national publications and Web sites are opining that BYU, which is ranked No. 7 in the USA Today coaches poll and No. 8 in The Associated Press poll, could theoretically play in the BCS national championship game if it goes 12-0 and every other team in the country has at least one loss.

However, BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall doesn't see it that way. Speaking on a Mountain West Conference teleconference Tuesday, the fourth-year head coach said he thinks the national perception of his program and the Mountain West Conference will stand in the way, despite how well MWC teams have fared against BCS teams this season.

"I am not sure the perception of our program and our league is strong enough yet, even if we go undefeated, that we might be considered that way. Really, those thoughts are ones I can't control, nor do I have much influence over, other than just trying to help our team win and play to the best of their ability."

Mendenhall then repeated the thoughts that he first shared in his news conference on Monday, that there is something wrong with a system that moves a team four spots in the polls even when it doesn't play.

"Just when you think you know the irony of the polls, we did win a game earlier [vs. Washington], and dropped a few spots, and we don't play a game at all, and we move up. So I think it is just very premature to try to sort out where we might fit."

"We have a lot of room to improve just in terms of winning football games and getting our team to play at their highest level, so after Week 12 we will have a better idea, but I think our league is still fighting for credibility, and certainly we would be the same."

Mendenhall acknowledged that it will probably take a scenario in which a non-BCS team wins back-to-back BCS bowl games to change the national perception.
"In that case, the country at large would be saying, 'How come this team doesn't get a chance and how come this is so exclusive?' But it might take something maybe as extreme as that for it to work out," he said.

Idaho Notes

The only thing consistent about Idaho's problems on defense this season has been inconsistency.
The Vandals are giving up slightly more than 503 yards per game, including a whopping 603 yards to a previously winless San Diego State team last week.

"We've had different issues in each game, believe it or not," Idaho coach Robb Akey said. "With growing a football team up, we're going to see some inconsistencies. Believe it or not, there were improvements from what we had in the Utah State game. We actually played better, but it was the big plays in the San Diego State game that destroyed us."

That might be something the Vandals (1-4, 0-1 Western Athletic Conference) want to clean up with high-powered Nevada (2-2, 0-0) visits the Kibbie Dome on Saturday.

"We need to get these numbers brought down a little bit; it might put a little color back in my hair -- what's left of it," Akey said.

• Asked if there were any bright spots for the Vandals so far, the ever-positive Akey went through pretty much the entire team.

He mentioned quarterback Nathan Enderle has improved, and the Vandals have more depth at running back, with freshmen Troy Vital, Princeton McCarty and Corey White providing capable relief for sophomore star Deonte Jackson, whose playing time has been limited by back problems.

"And they're going to get nothing but better, because they're just pups," Akey said.

He singled out H-back Eddie Williams and receivers -- or "retrievers," as he likes to call wide receivers -- Maurice Shaw, Max Komar and freshman Preston Davis.

On defense, he mentioned defensive end Josh Shaw and defensive tackle Faleaoga (Oga) Faumui, and redshirt freshman Michael Cosgrove on the line, and sophomore JoJo Dickson at linebacker.

Idaho starts four sophomores and a freshman on offense, and five sophomores and two freshmen on defense.

"I've seen young guys grow up and be able to make plays," he said.

• Vandal-izers: Junior free safety Shiloh Keo (sprained shoulder) and sophomore wide receiver Maurice Shaw (hamstring) will probably miss as second straight game this week, Akey said. ... Defensive coordinator Mark Criner spent last week's game in the press box, and the injured Keo was on the sidelines wearing a headset, helping out his teammates. Akey said Criner would like stay upstairs this week.

Not a lot of confidence flowing in Logan around that BYU game this weekend

LOGAN — Sometimes a bye week is exactly what a football team needs. A week off provides a chance to rest, to prepare and to practice.

Sometimes, however, a bye also shines a light on what's ahead and gives a coach a little anxiety.
That might be the case for Utah State, which will have 13 days to think about facing BYU.

"They certainly deserve the ranking," USU coach Brent Guy said of the No. 8 Cougars. "They have beaten two Pac-10 teams. The last two ball games they have shut out their opponents and have scored a lot of points."

That has Guy and the Aggies worried as they hope to be competitive and hopefully pull off the upset of the decade in the state.

"For us it is going to be a great challenge. We have to get in the game early," Guy said. "We can't try to play catch-up. We have to match and play with them during the football game to have a chance to compete."

Utah State's young quarterback, Diondre Borel, likewise knows a victory over BYU will be hard but something that just might turn the moribund Aggies around.
"A lot of people don't think we can win," Borel, a sophomore making only his second career start, said. "If we make an upset everyone will feel better. A lot more fans would come to our next game. Everything would be better around here."

Friday's game with BYU, however, is expected to be a sellout with several thousand BYU fans making the short drive to Logan for the game.

Tulsa vs Rice Notes

<TABLE cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=2 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=vaTitle colSpan=3>Prolific Owls fly into a Hurricane</TD></TR><TR><TD class=vaTextBold colSpan=3>Unbeaten Tulsa boasts the most productive offense in the Football Bowl Subdivision (formerly I-A). A comparison of the Golden Hurricane and Owls going into their game Saturday night at Tulsa:</TD></TR><TR><TD class=vaText colSpan=3>
grey.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD class=vaText>
Tulsa (FBS rank)
</TD><TD class=vaText>
Category
</TD><TD class=vaText>
Rice (FBS rank)
</TD></TR><TR><TD class=vaText colSpan=3>
grey.gif
54.8 (1st)​
</TD><TD class=vaText>
Scoring offense
</TD><TD class=vaText>
41.2 (14th)​
grey.gif
600.8 (1st)​
</TD><TD class=vaText>
Total offense
</TD><TD class=vaText>
424.6 (31st)​
grey.gif
390.5 (4th)​
</TD><TD class=vaText>
Passing offense
</TD><TD class=vaText>
300.8 (11th)​
grey.gif
210.3 (20th)​
</TD><TD class=vaText>
Rushing offense
</TD><TD class=vaText>
123.8 (90th)​
grey.gif
220.55 (1st)​
</TD><TD class=vaText>
Passing efficiency
</TD><TD class=vaText>
149.64 (29th)​
grey.gif
.880 (t31st)​
</TD><TD class=vaText>
Red-zone efficiency
</TD><TD class=vaText>
.840 (t52nd)​
grey.gif
.694 (1st)​
</TD><TD class=vaText>
Third-down conversion
</TD><TD class=vaText>
.424 (47th)​
grey.gif
5 (t11th)​
</TD><TD class=vaText>
Giveaways
</TD><TD class=vaText>
6 (t29th)​
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

ULL Notes

LAFAYETTE -- Take away a nightmare trip to Hattiesburg and what exactly do you have looking at this Ragin' Cajuns football team? Obviously a 1-2 record, because the Ws and Ls add up that way. But what's happening with the program right now is a lot more complicated than that.
And exciting.

"I've said this since Day 1 -this team is different," ULL coach Rickey Bustle said Monday. "This team is very special ... I felt this way after spring practice."

Which leads to two negatives adding up to a positive for Cajuns football. An odd pairing, yes, but warranted.

Consider:

After being blown out, 51-21, at Southern Miss, the Cajuns have created a stir by losing two of their next three.

Same old ULL football team? Not even close.

Only seven times since 1989 has the program opened a season better than 1-3, which is where ULL stands today. But were 2-2 starts in 1989, '90, '92, '93, '96, '04 and '06 better than where this team currently sits looking toward Saturday's Sun Belt opener at ULM?

Nope.

Over the course of the past three weeks, ULL went to nationally ranked Illinois and lost by a field goal, 20-17; walloped Kent State at home, 44-27; and then fell by eight at Kansas State, 45-37.

Was K-State a hose job? That has merit. But so does the fact ULL trailed 28-3 and outscored a major BCS conference team 34-17 in a little more than the game's final two quarters.

And guess what? It hurt. This team felt it should have won in Manhattan.

Put the simple math together and ULL's two losses against two major conference teams were by 11 combined points. In 17 previous games against the big boys this decade, the average margin of defeat was 32.9.

It's an unlikely marriage, but despite losing two of the last three, the Cajuns have created an enormous amount of expectations as seven of the final eight games come against Sun Belt opponents.

Bustle blamed his players for what's happening.

"This is what I told the players Sunday night: 'You have raised the expectations and you've raised the bar on the way we ought to play. If we don't play that way, it's on you.' I want them to bear in this thing ...

"We didn't play well the first game, but we have raised that bar for three weeks and kept it up there. Now they know what we expect. They know what they expect from each other - anything less than that and we won't win."

Which, oddly, comes full circle to Monroe.

Since the resumption of the series in 1997, the Warhawks have beaten the Cajuns in eight of 11 games. Those contests have covered three ULL head coaches, of which, amazingly, Jerry Baldwin (2-1) is the only one with a winning record. Nelson Stokley was 0-2 and Bustle is just 1-5.

It may be too early to call any game the Cajuns play a must-win, but this one appears to fit the definition.

This is a time ULL can make a statement.

"It's very important," said junior receiver Louis Lee. "It's a conference game, first of all, and second of all it's Monroe. How we've been playing, we just have to keep building on it and don't let down."

"Yes, it is a steppingstone for us," added senior defensive tackle Lanier Coleman.

Looking back through the six previous years of the Bustle administration, chances to put a stamp on a Cajun team have proven rare ... and frustrating ... and ...

Well, you can fill in the blanks.

But now comes the chance to prove this team is a viable contender in the Sun Belt after proving for three weeks this isn't going to be the same old chili peppers football.

And the Cajuns can do it against Monroe.

Talk about poetic justice.

"It's always an important moment when you're playing conference games," Bustle said. "We probably haven't been here in awhile to raise the bar and have expectations. They have created this expectation and it's not going to be easy - it's going to be hard.

"But I'm excited about that. I hated to look in that locker room after (Kansas State). There were some guys that were upset. Not that they weren't upset at Illinois, but this one was different. We felt like something had been taken away and it just hurt ...

"We're always talking about raising the bar: They raised it this time. Not me or the coaches. They have brought this bar up and it's on them."

ULL vs ULM Notes

Every Sun Belt team will have at least one conference game in the books by the end of this week. Of course, that includes ULM, which opens league play at home Saturday against in-state foe Louisiana-Lafayette. The Oct. 4 date for the ULM-ULL game is the earliest that they have met since 1992 when they played on Sept. 12.

“Getting ready to go into conference play is very important for this football team,” ULM coach Charlie Weatherbie said. “This footbal team wants to win this conference and wants to go to the New Orleans Bowl. The only way to do that is to win one game. After you win that game, then you worry about the next one.”

For the Warhawks, it’s a fresh start after a 1-3 beginning to their season.

“With that being the first conference game, we know we’ve got to get a win under our belts,” ULM linebacker Cardia Jackson said. “Whatever happen before conference play, that’s old. That’s over with. We’re 1-3. We just have to look forward to conference play.”

The Sun Belt’s preseason forecast called for a third-place finish for ULM, which placed third at 4-3 in 2007. ULL was pegged for sixth.

“We always have a good game with Monroe,” ULL coach Rickey Bustle said. “But again, the way that we approach games, it doesn’t matter who we play. It’s about us. We can’t control what other teams do.”

Like ULM, ULL is also 1-3. The Ragin’ Cajuns appear dangerous though, with close losses to Illinois (20-17) and Kansas State (45-37). ULL’s offense is run-heavy, with quarterback Michael Desormeaux and Tyrell Fenroy forming a productive one-two punch. Fenroy gained 183 yards on 20 carries and scored three touchdowns against K-State.

“They’re a good football team,” Weatherbie said. “They’re running the ball well with Desormeaux. Defensively, they’ve changed up their scheme a litlte it looks like. It’s one of those games that we’ll have to play well, take care of the football and do the things we’re capable of doing to give us an opproutnity to be successful.

“We know they’re talented and we’re a talented football team.”

As ULM and ULL start the conference journey, parity should reign again.

Because of scheduling quirks, some schools are deeper into Sun Belt action. Middle Tennessee, which played Florida Atlantic on ESPN2 last night, has played three conference games.

Coaches expect another unpredictable race, especially considering a couple of impressive Sun Belt non-conference wins so far. Middle Tennessee took a 24-14 win over Maryland on September 6 and Arkansas State defeated Texas A&M 24-14 on August 30.

Even Florida International, which has struggled since joining the Sun Belt and was picked to finish last, can claim last week’s road win over Toledo.

Arkansas State at 3-2 has the Sun Belt’s only winning record. The Red Wolves are 1-0 in the Sun Belt and open this week befor eplaying host to ULM.

“Staying healthy is a key for everybody to have a chance to be successful,” Arkansas State coach Steve Roberts said. “It’s whoever can make those plays at critical times of a game. Our games usually come down to one or two plays.”

The Warhawks have been competitive in conference games the past four years under Weatherbie. Their 16-12 mark over the that span is second best among all Sun Belt schools — only Troy at 21-8 has a better league mark.

ULM is hoping continue its recent trend of success against ULL. The Warhawks have won five of the last six games against the Cajuns. Last year ULM finished the year with a 17-11 win in Lafayette.

“It is a rivalry,” Weatherbie said. “It’s a game that we play that we call our in-state rivalry. I believe they call it their in-state rivalry as well. It’s one of those games that’s definitely a rivalry and everything that it’s cranked up to be.”

Sween Sween the Interception Machine named starter against New Mexico

University of Wyoming football coach Joe Glenn announced Monday that Sween would be the starting quarterback for the Cowboys when they resume Mountain West Conference play against New Mexico Saturday night in Albuquerque, N.M.

Sween, who had been relegated to a backup role behind sophomore Dax Crum through the first five games this season, was given the nod by Glenn and offensive coordinator Bob Cole after reviewing the game film of last Saturday’s 45-16 loss to Bowling Green.

It was the second loss of the season at home, and the third overall, for the Cowboys, who will take a 2-3 record to the Southwest this weekend.

“We talked after the game and Bob and I thought Karsten had played admirably and had the most poise of all the quarterbacks,” Glenn said. “We then graded the film on Sunday and Karsten graded out the highest so we decided to go ahead and make him the starter. And as Bob told him, he didn’t need to be looking over his shoulder.”

Glenn went on to say that there was more to naming Sween the starter than just last Saturday’s game.

“Karsten came back through the wrestle backs,” Glenn continued. “He has given more to the team than he ever has off the field and has made an effort to be a leader. He dines with the team a couple nights a week and has become more of a film rat than he has ever been. He patiently waited for his opportunity to take over his former starting job. And then based on what he did last Saturday, we are going to give him the keys to the car again.”

Sween was notified of the decision on Monday afternoon when he checked into the Rochelle Athletics Center on the team’s off day.

“I went in to watch some film and saw Coach Glenn and Coach Cole and they told me about it,” Sween said. “They told me to be fired up and excited about it and to take advantage of the opportunity. I was excited ... finally I get a chance to start a game. Hopefully, I can get it started off on the right foot and see what happens.”

Sween went on to say that he was relieved to know that he won’t have to be looking over his shoulder to see who is warming up on the sideline if he makes a mistake.

“I know the turnover thing has been a big deal and I’m going to try and handle that with confidence and not be tentative,” he said. “It’s nice to know that if I do mess up once I’ll still be in the game.”

Prior to last Saturday’s game with Bowling Green, Sween had seen only limited action this year. He did not play in Wyoming’s wins over Ohio (21-20) and North Dakota State (16-13), and received very little time in the two losses.
to Air Force (23-3) and BYU (44-0). In those two games, Sween completed just 1 of 6 passes for four yards with one interception.

Meanwhile, Crum had received the majority of snaps from center this season, completing 47 of 86 passes for 392 yards and two touchdowns in those first four games.

Crum’s biggest problem, like Sween’s the year before, has been taking care of the football. In the first four games, Crum threw four interceptions and fumbled the ball away four times.

Wyoming’s 14 overall turnovers for the season forced Glenn to give his team an ultimatum: Protect the football or changes would be made.

And true to his word, when Crum threw his fifth pick early in the Bowling Green game, Sween replaced him.

Before the contest had ended, Sween and fellow backup Chris Stutzriem had also been victimized by interceptions, as did Crum on his return. The only UW quarterback who didn’t have a pick was senior Ian Hetrick, who had to come out of the game with an injury.

When the game had ended, the numbers favored Sween to lead the ’Pokes, who are now 117th in the nation in turnover margin among the 119 Football Bowl Subdivision (formerly Division I-A) teams.

Sween was 10 of 16 for 84 yards. Crum hit on 4 of 11 passes for 36 yards, while Stutzriem was 2 of 3 for four yards and Hetrick was 0 for 2.

Sween directed the Cowboys on their final scoring drive, an 80-yarder in 11 plays late in the fourth quarter. It ended in a four-yard touchdown run by Devin Moore.

The game start and the late drive were the determining factors in Sween being named the starter against the Lobos.

It’s ironic that Sween will see his first full game as a starter this season against New Mexico in Albuquerque. That’s an all too familiar scenario.

Two years ago as a redshirt freshman, Sween was the backup to junior Jacob Doss. Doss started the first five games of the 2006 season.

But in the fifth game that year at Syracuse, Sween replaced Doss in the second half. He went on to complete 19 of 27 passes for 201 yards and a pair of touchdowns. He led the ’Pokes on a 92-yard scoring drive in 14 plays late in the fourth quarter. Wyoming scored with :05 left to tie the game at 27-27 and send it into overtime. Syracuse eventually won 40-34 in two extra periods.

The following week against New Mexico in Albuquerque, Sween got his first collegiate start. He completed 19 of 32 passes for 204 yards and two touchdowns in UW’s 14-10 victory over the Lobos. Sween went on to start the remainder of the year. He finished the year by completing 128 of 212 passes (60.4 percent) for 1,304 yards and nine touchdowns. He was picked eight times.

“Two years ago we left here 1-4 and headed for Albuquerque,” Glenn said. “We then won five of our next seven starts with Karsten at the helm. We know he can do it. We kind of lost him there for a while, but he has his heart and soul beating now for football and for Wyoming again and has won his way back into the starting lineup.”

Last season, Sween started 11 of Wyoming’s 12 games. It was a season in which he completed 215 of 359 passes for 2,028 yards (59.9 percent) and 12 TDs. He was plagued with interceptions (17), however, and Wyoming lost six of its last seven games after a 4-1 start.

That was one of the reasons why Crum was recruited out of Mesa (Ariz.) Community College last spring.

Sween, Crum, Hetrick and Stutzriem battled throughout last spring for the starting job. That battle continued through the first scrimmage this fall before Crum was named the starter.

Sween said his time as a backup this season was one of the most difficult times of his life and used his faith in God to get through it.

“God has really used this to grow me in a lot of different ways outside of football,” Sween said. “It was tough and I didn’t know how to handle it what to do. I thought about a bunch of different options and God brought me back and told me to just focus on things and he would take care of the rest. I feel like he has given me this opportunity and we’ll see where it goes.”

WKU Drama heading into Va Tech game

K.J. Black may not be happy with being benched by Western Kentucky University head football coach David Elson and Elson might not be pleased with Black's absence from practice Tuesday evening, but it hasn't caused Black's status with the Hilltoppers to change so far.

WKU associate athletic director/communications Todd Stewart said Wednesday afternoon that Elson and Black had spoken about the issue and that while Black would miss a second straight day of practice, he is still a WKU student and still a member of the football team. Elson was expected to address the situation with media members following Wednesday's practice.

<SCRIPT language=Javascript type=text/javascript>if (self['plpm'] && plpm['Mid-Story Ad']) document.write('<table style=\"float : right;\" border=\"0\"><tbody><tr><td align=\"center\" valign=\"bottom\">');if (self['plpm'] && plpm['Mid-Story Ad']){ document.write(plpm['Mid-Story Ad']);} else { if(self['plurp'] && plurp['97']){} else {document.write('<scr'+'ipt language="Javascript" type="text/javascript" src="http://cas.clickability.com/cas/cas.js?r='+Math.random()+'&p=97&c=6500&m=52&d=29411&pre=%3Ctable+style%3D%22float+%3A+right%3B%22+border%3D%220%22%3E%3Ctbody%3E%3Ctr%3E%3Ctd+align%3D%22center%22+valign%3D%22bottom%22%3E&post=%3C%2Ftd%3E%3C%2Ftr%3E%3C%2Ftbody%3E%3C%2Ftable%3E"></scr'+'ipt>'); } }if (self['plpm'] && plpm['Mid-Story Ad']) document.write('</td></tr></tbody></table>');</SCRIPT>On Tuesday afternoon, Elson replaced Black with senior David Wolke as starting quarterback after a 2-3 start for the Hilltoppers and after WKU showed difficulty establishing an offensive rhythm. Wolke had started two games for the Hilltoppers when Black was unavailable after dislocating his shoulder and Elson said the opportunity to evaluate both players showed that Wolke "gives (the team) a better chance to win."

Black then missed Tuesday's evening's practice - an absence Elson said was unexcused - but Stewart said Wednesday that didn't change Black's status as a member of the Hilltopper team.

WKU vs Va Tech Notes

WKU has beaten FCS schools Eastern Kentucky and Murray State by a combined 87-22. But against FBS squads Indiana, Alabama and Kentucky, they've been outscored, 113-23. WKU was routed by Kentucky last weekend, 41-3.

This bout marks the first-ever meeting between Virginia Tech and Western Kentucky on the gridiron.

Note: It is Homecoming Weekend in Blacksburg.

Against Kentucky, the Hilltoppers fell behind early and had no passing game to mount any kind of comeback. K.J. Black was sacked four times and completed only 3-of-10 passes for eight yards. The only real bright spot for the WKU offense was Bobby Rainey, who finished with 256 all-purpose yards (99 rushing, 157 return). The offense managed a mere eight first downs against the Wildcats and their top-ranked scoring defense. Black has split time under center with David Wolke, although the two have combined for just 729 yards and four touchdowns through the air this season. The team desperately needs someone to step up in the backfield and take some pressure off the quarterback. Coach David Elson is hopeful Rainey can be that guy.
The Hilltoppers defense had trouble getting off the field in the second half, as Kentucky went on to convert 7- of-13 third downs. The Hilltoppers also allowed the Wildcats to pile up 216 rushing yards while averaging a robust 5.7 yards per carry. If those numbers don't shape up against the Hokies, it will be another long day for the WKU defense.

Va Tech won't be overlooking the Hilltoppers this weekend

BLACKSBURG, Va. — After consecutive road wins over North Carolina and Nebraska, it might be easy for Virginia Tech to underestimate Western Kentucky.

Don’t expect that happen. The Hokies remember what happened last week to Southern California and Wake Forest, among others.

“Somebody said you’re a 28-point favorite, but so was Southern Cal over Oregon State,” Virginia Tech head coach Frank Beamer said. “Wake Forest, this time last week, probably felt good about coming off a great win (over Florida State) and getting ready to play Navy at home.

“You’ve just got to go out and be ready to play next week.”

Five games into the season, Virginia Tech (4-1, 2-0) has won four straight and are ranked among the top 20 teams in the nation. Yet, the Hokies certainly aren’t looking at Western Kentucky (2-3) as a guaranteed win.

It will be homecoming at Lane Stadium, with kickoff slated for 1:30 p.m.

“It think this is a week that we see if we’re right or not because the important thing to us is to continue to improve and I think that is a critical thing this week,” Beamer said. “Do we get better?”

Western Kentucky, which won the 2002 Division 1-AA national title, is in its second year as a Football Bowl Subdivision team, having posted a 3-2 mark this season, with losses at Indiana (31-13), Kentucky (41-3) and Alabama (41-7).

Their lone wins are over Eastern Kentucky (37-13) and Murray State (50-9). The Hilltoppers, who will be eligible for the Sun Belt Conference title next season, were 7-5 last year, including an 87-0 rout of West Virginia Tech.

“Certainly we respect all of our opponents and I know our players respect Western Kentucky,” Beamer said. “They’ve played Alabama, Indiana and Kentucky and they battle. Their defense is spicy, they do a lot of things and they battle.”

It doesn’t matter who the Hokies are playing, Beamer expects his Hokies to prepare and play the same way.

“For us, the thing we emphasize if you’ve got to play the same way,” Beamer said. “I think we’ve really been good about great effort in every ball game and that’s what we need this week is great effort in practice and improve, great effort Saturday and just playing the same way.

“It doesn’t make any difference what Saturday it is or what time you play. You just play the same way and I think we’ll see if that happens. It needs to happen.”

Virginia Tech senior offensive guard Nick Marshman echoed those intentions during Beamer’s weekly Tuesday press conference.

“As an offensive line, we look at it as another game, another week to get better,” said Marshman, whose offensive mate, center Ryan Shuman, earned last week’s ACC offensive lineman of the week honors. “We take on each week as a challenge so we’re going into this week like we do every week.”

Virginia Tech has continued to progress offensively, scoring 35 points in last week’s win at Nebraska. Tyrod Taylor has gotten better with each game, while Darren Evans has run for a touchdown in five straight games.

“I think we’re getting better, (tackle) Blake DeChristopher adds something to our offense, I like his toughness, he’ll get after you,” Beamer said. “Tyrod continues to improve, I think the better our blocking is up front the better our running is and the better our passing game will be.

“It just all kind of ties in together and I feel like we’re making improvements.”

The Hokies did suffer a blow on defense with the season-ending knee injury to cornerback Davon Morgan, but redshirt junior Dorian Porch stepped in and played well at Nebraska. He’ll get his first collegiate start against the Hilltoppers.

“It’s really exciting for me,” said Porch, whose Hokies will be off next week before traveling to Boston College on Oct. 18. “I’m really excited to get out there and see the first play and how it is going to go for me, but I think it will be all right.”

A quick look at the statistics and it might hard to understand how the Hokies have won four straight games. They’re 102nd in the nation in total offense, and 46th in defense.

The difference: Virginia Tech has committed just three turnovers in the last four games, and have had just 66 yards on 11 penalties in wins over Georgia Tech, North Carolina and Nebraska.

No wonder Beamer likes this team, even if the Hokies have few players with name recognition among college football fans.

“I really like this football team. I really like how hard they play, I really like how smart they play, I really like our respect for the other team,” Beamer said. “Maybe we don’t have a lot of big names, but we have leadership.

“I’m not sure we’ve got a great vocal guy, but I know we’ve got a lot of guys that play hard. If your older guys are playing hard, I think your young guys will play hard and I think that is where we are.

“I really like our football team.”

Losing is starting to take it's toll on the Cavs

"I'm speaking for all the coaches, myself included," Groh said Tuesday. "Every week there's a tremendous amount put into this. Every week, between 90 and 100 hours, just to have the sense of satisfaction that comes from the accomplishment of the team playing well.

"So, for anybody involved who puts in that amount of time, and if you don't get any reward for it, that's a difficult end of the week. That's a difficult end of the week if you won the previous eight games. They don't count for anything that day. They really don't."

The Cavaliers have had three difficult days in their only games against teams from the Bowl Subdivision, losing 52-7 to Southern California in the season opener, 45-10 at Connecticut and then 31-3 last Saturday at Duke, which ended a 25-game ACC losing streak. That's 128-20 on the scoreboard, and the Cavaliers host much improved Maryland on Saturday.

On message boards and talk radio programs, fans are calling for an end to the Groh era after eight years, and they're not just talking about the head coach. The meager point total has made Mike Groh, the Cavaliers' offensive coordinator, the subject of ridicule as well.

Groh, 52-40 in seven-plus seasons at Virginia, does not permit his assistant coaches to speak to the media during the season, preferring a one voice philosophy, and he said they all have the same understanding.

"That's the nature of the business," he said. "It is what it is. It doesn't make any difference why it's that way. It is what it is. I think we all understand that."
Since he arrived at his alma mater eight years ago, Groh has not commented on injuries, saying he views such talk as excuse-making. But the rules appear to have changed somewhat this year in what has been a remarkable and ongoing year of attrition for the Cavaliers.

Since they started 2008 by blowing a 14-point lead in the fourth quarter and losing 31-28 to Texas Tech in the Gator Bowl, at least nine players have left the team for non-football reasons. Among them were sophomore quarterback Jameel Sewell, in whom Groh and his staff had invested two years, and defensive end Jeffrey Fitzgerald, an all-ACC caliber pass rusher.
Both left for academic reasons, as did starting corner Chris Cook.
Andrew Pearman, a wide receiver and running back, was among those who left for health reasons, and this month sophomore quarterback Peter Lalich was dismissed from the team for legal trouble. Lalich, a heralded recruit, had started the first two games this season.
It's a situation that finds sophomore Marc Verica as the newest quarterback, one who has risen from fourth on the depth chart last season to the man trying to lead a comeback.

He drew praise after his first start at Connecticut, even though Virginia was embarrassed, and then threw four interceptions last week in the lopsided loss to the Blue Devils.

"It's unfortunate," Verica said of the calls for a coaching change. "This program's done a lot of great things under coach Groh here, and for things to be down at this point, to turn your back or to get down on someone — that's not the right way to handle it.

Note: The Cavaliers are last in the conference in scoring defense, allowing 32 points per game, and second to last in rushing defense with an average of 173.2 yards.

Just checked the OU line and see that it is now at 24 or so, which makes this the biggest early line screw up I have ever had, but hopefully it doesn't matter as the only way I am screwed is if it lands on 24, 25, 26. Didn't see this one or the Texas line move coming (down to 12 from 13), so bad calls on my part big time, but again, that's the chance you take sometimes by jumping early. Still feel good about the majority of my early jumps though, so we'll see how it shakes out, starting with BYU tonight. Let's bring home the profit this weekend guys as we are entering the halfway point of the season, but still a lot of money to be made!

Like WKU needs any distractions heading into the weekend

Kenneth Black Sr. agrees with Western Kentucky University football coach David Elson on at least one point - that Black's son, sophomore quarterback K.J. Black, is still a member of the Hilltopper football team.

But Kenneth Black Sr.'s agreement with Elson appears to end there.
<SCRIPT language=Javascript type=text/javascript>if (self['plpm'] && plpm['Mid-Story Ad']) document.write('<table style=\"float : right;\" border=\"0\"><tbody><tr><td align=\"center\" valign=\"bottom\">');if (self['plpm'] && plpm['Mid-Story Ad']){ document.write(plpm['Mid-Story Ad']);} else { if(self['plurp'] && plurp['97']){} else {document.write('<scr'+'ipt language="Javascript" type="text/javascript" src="http://cas.clickability.com/cas/cas.js?r='+Math.random()+'&p=97&c=6500&m=52&d=29411&pre=%3Ctable+style%3D%22float+%3A+right%3B%22+border%3D%220%22%3E%3Ctbody%3E%3Ctr%3E%3Ctd+align%3D%22center%22+valign%3D%22bottom%22%3E&post=%3C%2Ftd%3E%3C%2Ftr%3E%3C%2Ftbody%3E%3C%2Ftable%3E"></scr'+'ipt>'); } }if (self['plpm'] && plpm['Mid-Story Ad']) document.write('</td></tr></tbody></table>');</SCRIPT>Kenneth Black Sr. sent an e-mail to WBKO and the Bowling Green Daily News on Thursday indicating he doesn't believe Elson handled the replacement of K.J. Black as WKU starting quarterback properly and that the WKU head coach suggested in a telephone conversation with Kenneth Black Sr. that K.J. Black needed to find another place to play college football.

According to the e-mail from Kenneth Black Sr., he called WKU's football office Tuesday night and requested a meeting with Elson on Wednesday to discuss the circumstances surrounding K.J. Black being benched. According to Kenneth Black Sr., "Elson called me on Wednesday morning to discuss the issues. During this conversation Elson stated to me, 'K.J. needs to find another school.'"

Kenneth Black Sr. said he then came to Bowling Green with his wife and daughter because, "I was thinking that I had to load K.J.'s belongings and bring them home." According to Kenneth Black Sr. he and K.J. Black and the rest of the family met with Elson while on campus to discuss the matter further.

Kenneth Black Sr. declined to discuss specifics of that meeting when reached by telephone on Thursday.

Elson took part in his normal Thursday afternoon media availability but began the session by saying, "There's been absolutely no new change or information whatsoever so (it would) probably be best to just focus on Virginia Tech because there's nothing going on."

The Hilltoppers visit the Hokies on Saturday - a trip Elson said on Wednesday he didn't expect K.J. Black to make. Kenneth Black Sr. said his son will be in his hometown of Louisville over the weekend - a four-day break for WKU students for fall break.

Elson named senior David Wolke the starter on Tuesday, saying, "(Wolke's) more of threat to run, he's throwing well, he's a fifth-year senior who's shown great leadership and toughness and we just decided that's what we needed right now." K.J. Black had started three of WKU's first five contests, missing games at Alabama and at home against Murray State because of a dislocated non-throwing shoulder.
After learning he was no longer the starter, K.J. Black skipped Tuesday night's practice - an absence Elson called unexcused and one that Kenneth Black Sr. said in his e-mail was a mistake his son should be punished for, but not banished from the program.

Kenneth Black Sr. also took issue with the program's handling of the situation, saying in his e-mail that no member of the coaching staff contacted K.J. Black to learn his whereabouts when he missed Tuesday's workout - only an assistant trainer contacted K.J. Black, according to Kenneth Black Sr.

"Our family will survive this devastating and unfortunate incident through faith and perseverance," said Kenneth Black Sr.

Just want to say few things:

You did a great job grabbing some early lines, great prep work on your end, specifically these 2:

WMU -4 110
ULL ML 120

Would you still be looking at WMU-6.5 if that was the available line? Strong lean to that game

wmu and ttech i like a lot.
how high to you have these games rated any chance of them losing outright :)

How's the little one doing at home,, he must be about 1 now

"Dr. Chalk" strikes again as I once again prove that there is nothing inherently wrong with a card loaded with favs, as long as they are the "right favs".

10-3 on Saturday and 10-4 overall in week 6 with not one dog play in the bunch.

Road Favs = 5-2
Home Favs = 4-2
Totals = 1-0

Western = Winner
Texas = Winner
Cal = Winner
Nevada = Winner
OU = Winner
Tulsa = Winner
Tulsa v Rice over = Winner
ULL = Winner (Sunbelt Special)
Tex Tech = Winner
New Mexico = Winner
BYU = Loser
Maryland = Loser
Va Tech = Loser
Fresno = Loser

Brings the total record to date up to 36-23 (61%).

Road Favs 16-9
Home Favs 11-8
Road Dogs 8-4
Home Dogs 0-0
Totals 1-2

As you guys know, I am a big proponent of stringent money management, and the making of withdrawals when certain benchmarks that were set at the start of the year are met. So, with that said, I just surpassed the 1.5x of initial bankroll number, so I just submitted a withdrawal request to the greek for bankroll plus 20%, so I can be guaranteed a profit this year.

The reason I am saying this is b/c I just want to emphasis the importance of bankroll management and not getting too greedy when things are going well (I know some may disagree here), as I believe in banking the profit rather than increasing unit size. What this also means is that I will be limiting myself to about 5 or fewer plays each week from this point forward, now that my remaining funds in the greek will be a lot lower than when I started due to this withdrawal. Feel free to shoot me a PM if you have any questions about my money management strategy, goals, etc. Time to get to work on week 7!

Just received an email from the greek saying my withdrawal will be processed on Monday and will arrive via fedex on Tuesday or Wednesday at the latest, good stuff.

Back