Carolinablue Week 5 Plays

carolinablue

College Football Guru
Week 4 Recap
6-8 -2.95 units

Year to Date 32-22 (59.3%) +6.128 units

I am in this for the long haul, so even after a bad week like this one, I am still thankful as it could have been better, could have been worse, but the main thing I learned is to just trust my early instincts and stop trying to add plays later in the week unless they are team totals involving WVU, UW, or OU. Lastly, that Tarheel game was a tough one down the stretch to watch, as the injuries just kept piling up and piling up and our youth really showed, but it's all about expectations, and honestly when you lose 97% of your offense vs PY, the bar (not Sheamus and Cesaro, but the expectation bar) for me was realistic going into the season, so all the Fire Fed folks online need to gain some perspective in my opinion.

Won't be around for early lines today as I will be uptown for the Panthers vs Saints, and then watching No Mercy later as you can't pass up not one, but two Wrestlemania worthy main events as Brock Lesnar goes one on one with the Monster Among Men Braun Strowman and John Cena goes head to head with Roman Reigns.

Week 5 Plays....caveat...just got home so have no idea what these opened at as I wasn't around for any of the opens or movement all day today

Football - 114 Florida International -11½ -110 for Game
Football - 176 Army -24 -110 for Game
Football - 174 UNLV -11 -110 for Game
Football - 140 Kansas State -13½ -110 for Game
Football - 166 UL Monroe -11 -110 for Game
Mobile - FOOTBALL - 130 Bowling Green +115 for GAME
Football - 195 Air Force/New Mexico under 51½ -130 buying -1 for Game

Team Total Overs
Mobile - FOOTBALL - 117 South Florida team total over 47 -120 for GAME

Last edited:
Ya. I tend to agree on Army. They are making us pay a premium but I don't see how UTEP slows them down at all, or scores that much. Obviously with two slow paced teams we need Army to be efficient but I just don't see why they won't be.

Good luck, as always.

Charlotte 49ers football news...

Charlotte 49ers football coach Brad Lambert shook up his offensive coaching staff Monday, following Saturday’s 28-0 home loss to Georgia State.

Offensive line coach Greg Adkins will take over as offensive coordinator, with overall play-calling authority. Adkins previously coordinated the 49ers’ running game. Jeff Mullen, who has been offensive coordinator the past seven seasons, is now quarterbacks coach.

The 49ers’ offensive struggles have been a major factor in the 0-4 record. Charlotte scored seven points in each of two blowout losses to Eastern Michigan and Kansas State. The 49ers scored 31 points in a four-point loss to N.C. A&T before being shut out Saturday.

Lambert said Saturday he would take a hard look at the team’s offense, particularly advocating a more creative running game.

“We need a change offensively,” Lambert said in a prepared statement. “Coach Adkins has a lot of experience from an offensive standpoint and has coached at just about every level, including the NFL.”

Adkins was with the Buffalo Bills during the 2013-14 season. He has also coached at Power 5 conference schools Tennessee, Oklahoma State and Syracuse.

SJSU football news...

SAN JOSE – After consecutive blowout losses against power conference teams, San Jose State finally got to play a team in its own league.

Instead of offering a respite, the step down in the level of competition only provided more frustration.

With a hurry-up offense that went nowhere fast, turnover-prone special teams and a defense that couldn’t get off the field, the Spartans lost 61-10 to Utah State Saturday at CEFCU Spartan Stadium.

“I’m not sure how much I can say outside of the fact that was an awful showing across the board,” first-year coach Brent Brennan said. “I felt like we were well prepared going into the game—we had a good week of practice—but none of that manifested itself when we started playing real football.”

The Spartans (1-4) suffered their worst league loss since joining the Mountain West Conference in 2013 and have lost seven in a row to Utah State.The Aggies (2-2) scored the game’s first 55 points, forced five turnovers and had a 589-162 edge in yardage.

“In my mind, we need to start over,” Brennan said. “Because tonight was like nothing I’ve ever seen.”

SJSU was coming off consecutive losses to Texas and Utah by a combined score of 110-16. Its win was against Cal Poly of the Football Championship Subdivision.

Battered and dispirited after a brutal non-conference schedule, the Spartans actually forced a turnover on Utah State’s first possession on an interception by senior safety Andre Chachere, but running back Zamore Zigler quickly fumbled the ball back to the Aggies.

Perhaps the lowest of the low for the Spartans came in the second quarter. After Utah State scored a 43-yard touchdown on fourth-and-3, SJSU quarterback Josh Love was stripped and the Aggies recovered for a 38-yard score. The Spartans then fumbled the ensuing kickoff, allowed Utah State to score on third-and-goal from the 23, and had its punt blocked at its own 14 after going 3-and-out.

“Mentally as soon as adversity hit, it was hard for us as a team to come back strong,” senior cornerback Jermaine Kelly said. “We just kind of went in the tank. We’re definitely going to fix it. We have a lot of work to do.”

Love, who started the first two games, regained his spot because of injuries, but was just 8 of 20 for 54 yards and an interception.

The Spartans finally got on the board when Kelly intercepted a tipped pass and returned it 68 yards with 51 seconds left in the third quarter. Kelly later recovered a fumble that led to junior Bryce Crawford’s 53-yard field goal, the second-longest in school history.

“We were ineffective once again offensively, which was very frustrating,” Brennan said. “The kicking game showed up in some absolutely disastrous ways, and the defense we put in too many bad spots, too many short fields. I’m responsible for this and I’ll get to work fixing all of those things one play at a time.”

UTEP football news...

Turning around the UTEP football team heading into Saturday's game at Army isn't a simple task, but Sean Kugler's plan is as straightforward as can be.

It doesn't involve quitting.

"We know what we face. It's a long road trip; we need to energize us," Kugler said Monday at his weekly news conference. "We're like a wounded animal right now. In my mind, you make a decision: You fight back or lay down. Our mentality, we're going to fight back.

"We're going to continue to work. We're going to continue to put out our best game plan. We have to keep them motivated. ...

"I'm going to continue to work, continue to fight for these kids. All I care about is the 105 guys in the locker room. I don't care outside what people think of me. I love this team and I love this program and I'll fight to turn it around," he said.

He'll do it going forward with Ryan Metz as the quarterback, something he made clear Monday, two days after Metz was pulled at halftime for Mark Torrez against New Mexico State when the Miners were down 21-7.

"Ryan Metz is our quarterback," Kugler said. "At halftime, I tried to create a spark. It didn't work. I want everyone to know Ryan Metz is our quarterback moving forward. We do need better play at that position.

"We have to play to their strengths, game plan it, execute it. ... Zack Greenlee and Mark Torrez will battle throughout the week to see who is the No. 2."

Kugler noted that Metz was playing through pain in his nonthrowing shoulder, which was separated two weeks ago and kept him out of the Week 3 loss to Arizona.

"I'm not going to make any excuses for him," Kugler said. "He won't make any excuses; I won't make excuses for him. I did pull him aside after the game and told him he's our quarterback."

The position change is at receiver, where Walter Dawn is moving. He was UTEP's starter at tailback in the first three games, but with the return of Quardraiz Wadley, who was effective Saturday night, Dawn will go back to the receiver position he played last season.

"Quardraiz Wadley did very well. He's an outstanding running back, and he's just going to get better and better with more carries," Kugler said. "Walter Dawn will go to receiver and try to give us a spark out there."

The Miners will need a spark as they try to win in the Eastern time zone, where they are 0-20-1 in their history against a 2-2 team Army that beat them 66-14 in Sun Bowl Stadium last year. UTEP opened as a 24-point underdog.

Army "is a very disciplined team, a very well-conditioned team," Kugler said. "They have an option offense, quarterback based. They run the ball, but you have to keep your eyes focused. The second you lose responsibility, take your guys off your man, they'll hit you with a long pass. We have to be on that."

Mostly, UTEP needs to focus on itself, on getting better. Kugler said he's been through this before.

"I played on a team that was 1-10 (in 1985). It ended up being a 10-2 team (in 1998)," Kugler said. "I coached a team that was 1-11 (1993). We won in increments until we were WAC champions (in 2000). You don't fold; you don't give up."

That's the message as UTEP heads to Army.

Bring that UTEP news! The author should know that 10-2 season was my senior year of high school in 1988, not 1998, and the team was 10-3 after losing their bowl game. That was the last year we had Bob Stull, as I recall, who went on to coach Missouri. At my last check, he is still our athletic director.

Bring that UTEP news! The author should know that 10-2 season was my senior year of high school in 1988, not 1998, and the team was 10-3 after losing their bowl game. That was the last year we had Bob Stull, as I recall, who went on to coach Missouri. At my last check, he is still our athletic director.

I think you're about old enough to be my dad lol

Yeah, it's funny because when I read that it was pretty clear that the period was 85-88, but the editor must have missed it and I honestly found it funny so didn't correct it as I curious to see if anyone was as detail oriented as I was to catch it, so you win the prize haha.

New Mexico vs Air Force Under Key Stats
  • Points per play - AF #95, NM #105
  • 3rd down conversion % - AF #98, NM #117
  • Red zone scoring % - AF #91, NM #102
  • Rushes per game - AF #7, NM #14
  • # of Rushes as % of total plays - AF 85.8% (#4), NM 67.4% (#13)
  • Passes per game - AF #129, NM #116
  • Time of possession - AF #47, NM #14

Yes, I do know that the last 4 between these two have gone way over the total by the way...

BGSU ML +115

I actually have BGSU winning outright by at least 6, so the ML was a no-brainer for me, as I thought the line would be BGSU by a FG at home, so gotta go with the value in this one getting the ML at +115.

When two teams are hungry for a win, I like to look at what I call, discipline stats, which are things like turnovers, penalties, etc. Below are some comparisons between the two teams in those areas...

• Penalties
    • Akron penalties per game #117, BGSU #14
    • Akron penalty yards per game #119, BGSU #6
    • Akron penalties per play #122, BGSU #14
  • Turnovers
    • Akron turnover margin -1.7 (#120), BGSU +2.0 (#2)
    • Akron giveaways 2.3 (#106), BGSU 0.7 (#9)
    • Akron takeaways 0.7 (#111), BGSU 2.7 (#10)
    • Akron INTs thrown % #106, BGSU #13
  • Side note: FG Kicking
    • I would take the BGSU kicking game over the Akron one if this one is close and one team needs a kick to win at the end

What up man?

I got burned bad on an AF-NM Under last year, but can see why you are into to it here. One thing to consider I feel is the level of competition AF O has faced in Mich and SD St Ds. Thought that AF O was definitely the stronger side of the ball for them but the opponent the last 2 weeks has hidden that. I'm leaning AF side, but do fear that NM is going to get some things figured out on O especially if Jordan returns this week. No reason their O should be struggling long term like we've seen vs NMST and Tulsa. But other than a possible AF play I have no reason to want anything else other than an under for you.

I can certainly see BG winning even though they've been bad. Watched Akron last week, saw very little energy out of them early in the game and it appeared that game vs Troy might've turned into a run-away, but Troy kept messing up and allowed Akron a chance to hang around. Just not sure where this Akron team is right now.

Any opinion on your team vs GT, think the Heel O atleast moves the ball and finds some pts? Pitt O was very disappointing last week.

What up man?

I got burned bad on an AF-NM Under last year, but can see why you are into to it here. One thing to consider I feel is the level of competition AF O has faced in Mich and SD St Ds. Thought that AF O was definitely the stronger side of the ball for them but the opponent the last 2 weeks has hidden that. I'm leaning AF side, but do fear that NM is going to get some things figured out on O especially if Jordan returns this week. No reason their O should be struggling long term like we've seen vs NMST and Tulsa. But other than a possible AF play I have no reason to want anything else other than an under for you.

I can certainly see BG winning even though they've been bad. Watched Akron last week, saw very little energy out of them early in the game and it appeared that game vs Troy might've turned into a run-away, but Troy kept messing up and allowed Akron a chance to hang around. Just not sure where this Akron team is right now.

Any opinion on your team vs GT, think the Heel O atleast moves the ball and finds some pts? Pitt O was very disappointing last week.

Thanks man, always appreciate good discussion! As far as my Heels go, given how badly we have been decimated by injuries this season, I can not even begin to get a read on how this weekend will play out, as we are so short on bodies right now, who knows what will happen down in Atlanta on Saturday.

Eyeing a handful of team total overs for today, so will post em as I play em..

Team Total Overs
Mobile - FOOTBALL - 117 South Florida team total over 47 -120 for GAME

Good Luck, mr blue. I lean your way on any of those sides that contain the number 'eleven'

Back