Carolinablue Week 2 Plays

carolinablue

College Football Guru
Solid Saturday going 7-2 for +5.186 Units including a ML hit on Hawaii at +361.

Season to date at 7-3 +4.086 Units.

Felt pretty good overall Saturday as I got a couple of lucky breaks here and there but overall felt like I had a good read on most of the plays in Week 0/1 with ODU and Duquesne being the glaring exceptions. Even though I lost La Tech, I don't feel too bad about that one because they were in control for the most part until USA got back into the game in the second half. All 3 overs hit which was nice and again, that Hawaii ML was a good way to end the night for sure.

No rest for the weary however as Week 2 is upon us and there is more money to be had. Pne good (or bad) week doesn't really mean much in the whole scheme of things as I view this like my 401k portfolio...it is all about long term performance, as there will always be swings in either direction in the short term, so gotta keep an even keel and not let emotions come into play. Best of luck to everyone in Week 2!

Week 2 Plays (All plays to win 1 unit at BM)
  • UAB -9.5 110
  • Northwestern -2.5 115
  • UNC -14 119
  • Central Michigan -6.5 110
  • Ball State +34.5 119
  • Minnesota -2.5 110
  • Utah State -22.5 110
  • App State -13.5 110
  • Oklahoma -28 119
  • UNC/ECU Over 59 110
  • Hawaii/Rice Over 66 110
  • Ball State/ND Over 61.5 110
  • UNC Team Total Over 38 115
  • Oklahoma Team Total Over 47.5 116
  • Savannah State +62 110

Last edited:
App State -13.5 110

Game at UNCC will be a legit sellout but App will have a very strong contingent in the stands so not a traditional sold out HFA that one might expect.

Good quick read on App State coach Satterfield's thoughts about rivalry with UNCC

Appalachian State football coach Scott Satterfield knows a natural when he sees one, and the Mountaineers’ road game Sept. 8 at Charlotte qualifies.

“If you’re anywhere near Charlotte speaking, either before or after (an event), everybody is saying, ‘We don’t care what else you do, but we better beat Charlotte,’” Satterfield said at football media day Saturday.

“I know people who work in that area want to win that game bad.”

Satterfield says an Appalachian State-Charlotte rivalry makes so much sense he’d like to schedule the 49ers every year. The challenge is Charlotte building up to a level similar to the Mountaineers, who have become a perennial bowl team since moving up to FBS status in 2014.

The 49ers are coming off a 1-11 season and have gone 7-29 over the past three seasons. The school announced this week the game against the Mountaineers is a sellout. Satterfield said he’ll be surprised if at least half the crowd at Richardson Stadium isn’t Appalachian State fans.

“We’re a couple of hours apart and the alumni bases are interacting. The footprint of where we’re located, it should be a rivalry game,” Satterfield said.

“Now, what makes a rivalry game is the fact that both teams are good and they play each other every year. I’m very excited about them being on the schedule now, and hopefully that’s something we can have on the schedule for a long time. That would be a perfect game to play every year.”

Ball State/ND Over 61.5 110

Will continue to ride this Ball State team and their offense as I love the Riley Neal/James Gilbert combination and expect them to continue the redemption tour in South Bend next week after injuries kept them from showing what they can do last season.

Last edited:
C.Blue………well done last week......appreciate the early thought's...…..BOL with wk#2 action...…...indy

Great start .

Good numbers you got, per usual.

Good luck this week.

Thanks BAR, a little frustrating at times as I see the better ones come out at BOL while I wait for BM to release theirs so always feel like I am 2-3 points behind the curve (and then I get that point validated once I compare my numbers to CK's haha). Thanks for stopping by, always appreciate the kind words!

M8

Like: OU (please oh please), UNC/ECU o looks way too lite, Hawaii over, team total should do well

CMU down to 4.5 and Ball State back up to 34.5 after hitting 33.5. Don't think either of those will matter but always hurts a little to not get the best line possible...

Random UNC vs ECU Soundbites...
  • Nathan Elliott will be facing a secondary that was dead last in the FBS last season, allowing 10.4 yards per attempt. They were the only team to allow double-digit yards per attempt in 2017.
  • We had more INTs (3) than first downs (1) in the first half in Week 1 and still had a chance to tie it up late in the 4th quarter
  • We had 13 penalties for 124 yards in Week 1 and still had a chance to tie it up late in the 4th quarter
  • Fedora seems committed to establishing a running game with Elliott under center, and the ECU defense was the second worst in the FBS last season in yards allowed per rush (5.88)
  • If Antonio Williams wants to keep the starting job when Michael Carter returns from injury, he needs to do better than the 2.8 YPC he had in Week 1
  • Dominique Ross and the rest of the LB crew played above expectations in my opinion and the DL also showed some depth that was a pleasant surprise as we go into the first week of suspensions there
  • ECU allowed opponents to convert 52 percent of their third downs, which was good for second worst nationally, which bodes well for my Heels as we are usually on the other side of that equation, leading to a worn down defense with a diminished mental state after not being able to get off the field time after time
  • ECU threw the ball 65 times vs A&T which was only 3 fewer passes than the total yards they gained on the ground so we should be able to force a couple of turnovers facing such a one dimensional attack
  • ECU’s defense was one of the worst in the nation last fall. They were dead last in the nation in passer rating (180.0) and second-to-last in yards per carry (5.9).
  • If all else fails, at least Fedora confirmed yesterday that Cade will be getting some serious reps, albeit with the second team, in practice this week, so if Elliott falters early, we may see the freshman make an appearance this weekend

More local news (Charlotte Observer Article) on the App State vs Charlotte game this weekend...

Give Charlotte football coach Brad Lambert this: he fully understands the challenge his team faces Saturday when the 49ers play host to Appalachian State at Richardson Stadium. “They’re one of the great programs in all college football,” Lambert said of the Mountaineers. “We know what’s coming here and we’ve got to be ready. I can’t say enough good things about them. ”The 49ers (1-0) and Mountaineers (0-1) are playing for the first time and will again next season in Boone. Charlotte’s program is in its sixth season of existence, quickly moving into the Football Bowl Subdivision’s Conference USA in 2015.

The Mountaineers, long a Football Championship Subdivision (formerly 1-AA) power before moving in 2015 to the FBS, where they’ve barely missed a beat. Appalachian has won bowls in each of their three seasons in the Sun Belt. Then there’s this: over their last 46 games, the Mountaineers have gone 36-10. Only Alabama, Clemson, Ohio State, Wisconsin and Oklahoma have fared better during that stretch. “App is a proven program; we’re just getting started,” Lambert said. “We’re going to have to execute well and make plays to make it a good ball game. Because it’s a situation where we’re so new and they’ve established their program through the years.”

The 49ers and Mountaineers also recruit against each other, often in the territory in and around Mecklenburg County. Charlotte’s roster features 13 players from Mecklenburg; Appalachian’s has seven. The 49ers have 16 players from counties adjacent to Mecklenburg; Appalachian has five. That will lead to some familiar faces on both sides of the line of scrimmage Saturday. Charlotte junior running back Benny LeMay and Mountaineers junior cornerback Clifton Duck were teammates at Butler High.
“I know a lot of players over at App State,” said LeMay, who rushed for 135 yards and had 83 receiving yards in a 34-10 season-opening victory last Saturday against Fordham. “I grew up with Clifton Duck. He’s a guy I always played with, so it will be fun to play against him. We’ve always played together, so this will be different.”

Duck, the Sun Belt’s preseason defensive player of the year who has 11 career interceptions, had seven tackles and broke up a pass in the Mountaineers’ 45-38 overtime loss at Penn State. It was part of a near-miss performance against the Nittany Lions that impressed Lambert. “I’m not sure anything made them uncomfortable,” Lambert said. “They seemed pretty comfortable in an uncomfortable situation. They’re a fast team — more at tailback (Jalin Moore) and wideout (Corey Sutton and Thomas Hennigan). But their secondary’s fast. Their corners are fast. That’s going to be the thing. They’re a pretty physical team that can run.”

That’s what 49ers players like sophomore defensive tackle Timmy Horne are preparing for. “The stadium’s going to be rocking,” said Horne. “The players are going to be geeked up.”

I thought UNC D was a bright spot last week for sure. I could look it up, but you may know off the top of your head...who is suspended this week that played last week? How long is Aaron Crawford expected out for?

E Carolina was the worst tackling team I've seen in my life last year. I expect them to be bad again, but it does worry me that UNC's offense was apparently in such disarray in week 1.

I thought UNC D was a bright spot last week for sure. I could look it up, but you may know off the top of your head...who is suspended this week that played last week? How long is Aaron Crawford expected out for?

Malik Carney is the main one out in week 2 as he was a beast against Cal and really stepped up his game in terms of solid tackling and penetration. Even with him out this weekend however, I feel good about a lot of the younger guys who stepped up and help their ground against Cal, as we had a really good effort in terms of containing their running game, especially when you consider all of the 3 and outs we had in the first half.

With regard to Crawford, everything I have read has him coming back against Pitt if all goes well. Apparently he was shooting for UCF but that doesn't look like it will happen.

E Carolina was the worst tackling team I've seen in my life last year. I expect them to be bad again, but it does worry me that UNC's offense was apparently in such disarray in week 1.

Unfortunately I wasn't surprised as it seems to be that way every year we play a P5 team in the opener. The good thing is that Fedora loves to blow horrible teams out of the water and has no problem keeping his foot on the gas against inferior teams, so I wouldn't be surprised if we put up 60 on Saturday, but expecting something like a 52-28 type of game.

Thanks for the info re heels, mr blue. I gotta get over my discomfort in laying dd as an away fav. But I admit that ECU is bad. I am prolly with you , just as I was in last week’s push. GL

Thanks for the info re heels, mr blue. I gotta get over my discomfort in laying dd as an away fav. But I admit that ECU is bad. I am prolly with you , just as I was in last week’s push. GL

Yeah last week I was lucky getting the favorable line at 120 when I did, so I didn't have to worry about the push at 7. ECU fans are in revolt status right now as they are not happy with their coaching situation and make our message boards look tame by comparison, so hoping we get up early and often and cause them to head for the hills early.

Minny now a home dog at +1...man I hate getting the wrong side of a line but hopefully my bad line isn't my downfall in this one.

M8

Like: OU (please oh please), UNC/ECU o looks way too lite, Hawaii over, team total should do well

Yeah, I will probably be on the Hawaii team total over again this week as it looks like it is gonna be in the 44 range. I think they put up 52 this week against Rice.

Was patiently waiting for this one to drop below 10 at BM as I will take my chances laying the 9.5 on the road with one of cfb's most experienced teams against the documented youngest team in cfb this year, CCU has just 13 seniors or grad students and 92 underclassmen, defined as freshmen, redshirt freshmen or sophomores across their roster. Couple this with the 70 vs 85 scholarship players as it completes its transition to FBS, and I like UAB to continue rolling on both sides of the ball.

Last one I am waiting on is that Hawaii Team Total Over, but that probably won't hit BM until later today. Should be a fun day, hope everyone has a profitable one, unless of course you are fading me haha.

Week 2 Results 7-7-1 -0.89 Units
Year to Date 14-10-1 +3.196 Units

That darn drunken Savannah State play kept me from a profitable day, or maybe it was my Heels who played about as well as Savannah State did....ok, maybe a little worse.

Back