Carolinablue Week 1 CFB Plays

carolinablue

College Football Guru
Just got back from 2 amazing weeks in the D.R. with my son which put me a little behind but I tell you it was 100% worth it and I wouldn't have it any other way!

Going with BOL this year as they seemed to be the best for me in terms of handling the initial deposit I was looking at, and if anyone wants any insight into the deposit process and timeline, just shoot me a PM as I would be more than happy to share my experience.

No plays as of yet, as again I am a little late to the party this year, but I should have my week 1 plays posted by next weekend at the latest.

Snagged my UNC vs SC tickets months ago, so looking forward to sharing the experience at BofA with my son on opening night.

Looking forward to great discussion this year guys!

Last edited:
Hell yeah, glad to see you back

Look forward to you picks and your thoughts on the Heels/Cocks

Just got my Carolina football media guide in the mail today along with our actual tickets to the season opener, so feels like Christmas in August!

Will post more in-depth thoughts as I get time, but want to make sure I post plays as I lock them in so you can see the exact lines I get when I lock in a play.

FIU +17 115 at BOL

Good luck this season Sir.

I don't believe my 'Cocks should be favored here and with the way the offense is looking, UNC opening 1-0 is a real possibility. What I see happening is SCar offense posting a lot of 3-out series and UNC eventually breaks the D with tempo. If at any point SCar is forced to abandon the run - I don't see an offense capable of chucking the ball around. SCar needs to grind the clock on offense, disrupt the tempo of the UNC offense, and keep the 3rd downs to a manageable distance. Not sure how anyone can overlook the huge benefits of having the senior QB in Game 1 here.

It will probably end with a Quinshad Davis game clinching TD catch.

Good luck this season Sir.

I don't believe my 'Cocks should be favored here and with the way the offense is looking, UNC opening 1-0 is a real possibility. What I see happening is SCar offense posting a lot of 3-out series and UNC eventually breaks the D with tempo. If at any point SCar is forced to abandon the run - I don't see an offense capable of chucking the ball around. SCar needs to grind the clock on offense, disrupt the tempo of the UNC offense, and keep the 3rd downs to a manageable distance. Not sure how anyone can overlook the huge benefits of having the senior QB in Game 1 here.

It will probably end with a Quinshad Davis game clinching TD catch.

I saw defense dominated the last scrimmage. Looks like Nunez is their best QB?

If Nunez is the best QB, go ahead and take the Win Total under. I don't say that as a Clemson fan. I say that simply because if an SEC team with a very questionable defense is going to start a true freshman I am going to sell that scenario all year long. Nunez might be good this year and great three years from now but a true freshman isn't what you want in the SEC.

Also I agree with ETG regarding the run game and I think it's why I lean under. SoCar is going to be improved on defense and if they want to win they need to slow it down and pound it. They need to win this game the same way they beat Clemson in 2012 and 2013. Now I understand they don't have Shaw or that defense but, IMO, Spurrier needs to treat the game the same way he treated those Clemson games. In the 2013 game SoCar ran 21 more plays (78-57). They ran the ball 50 times and threw it 28. The TOP was 38:09 to 21:51. The game plan was brilliant and executed to perfection. In 2012 SoCar ran 86 plays to Clemson's 59. Spurrier ran it 45 times while passing 41. The TOP was 39:58 to 20:02.

The above examples aren't how Spurrier likes to win but Spurriers love of winning supersedes the way he likes to win (most of the time). If SoCar is smart they will just pound the shit out of the UNC defense and run a ton of wildcat with Nunez or Pharoah. If UNC is smart on offense they will run a ton of read option with Williams and hope that Hoke hasn't figured out a way to stop it yet. Either way it would be in the best interest of both teams to run the ball no less than 60% of the time

Nunez will play this year, may even be in the first game but Mitch will start vs UNC.

Dwight is pretty spot on with everything he said.

ARIZONA -31 110 at BOL

Yes, UTSA only lost by 3 vs Zona last year at home, but that was such a weird game on so many levels, as Arizona dominated the first few minutes but then couldn't convert to save their lives inside the red zone leading to 4 FGs rather than TDs. Also, the UTSA team this year will look nothing like last year's team, as this team is one of if not the youngest in all of college football, as they are only returning 2 guys on offense and 4 on defense.

Arizona is going to be loaded this year and I have no doubt that they will be watching last year's game to remind them of what happens when you don't go for the kill early and often, which should mean points points and more points with the Wildcats not letting up off the gas until the final whistle. Also, with Nevada on the schedule the following week, I am not worried about the look ahead factor at all, as I am counting on Arizona to have a shot at 60+ in this one as long as they increase their efficiency in the red zone, which is something they definitely will be focused on after doing so poorly not just vs UTSA but pretty much overall last year. More TDs and less FGs gives this one a great shot at being a fun one to watch to end the night.

More to come, just wanted to get some initial thoughts down while I was thinking about them.

Last edited:
Also looking at NMSU, WKU, and a couple others for week 1. Expecting to see more action on the Gators early next week, so will wait on that one as I would like to see it hit 38 but not sure if it will or not.

Missed the early value on WKU so will take ML on that one once it becomes available at BOL, hopefully still at positive money by that point.

Not going to force anything just because it is week 1 as I am in this for the long haul just like every season. No reason to let excitement and emotion turn iffy on the borderline potential plays into confirmed ones, as the plays I make in week 1 follow the same pattern as the ones I would make in week 10. Took a long time to reach that level of discipline that's for sure!

Nunez will play this year, may even be in the first game but Mitch will start vs UNC.

Dwight is pretty spot on with everything he said.

No matter who it is, I think they are going to struggle. Last season was the first season since 2010 that SC didn't have a backup QB that took more than 20 percent of the pass attempts.

2011: Shaw 188, Garcia 118.
2012: Shaw 228, Thompson 127
2013: Shaw 284, Thompson 89
2014: Thompson 451, Cooper 8, Mitch 6.

A lot of the years the SC offense hasn't missed a beat because they had a QB that had some playing experience, some starting experience, and came right in and played well. In this case, they will be starting someone that hasn't started ever, against a UNC defense with a new coordinator and a ton of talent. Who knows what they do with that talent, thats the question...

Kent line now down to -14 110...No, it wasn't me who moved it 2 points haha.

Will be interesting to see the psyche of the Illini in week 1 given the coaching change. Some books have taken this one off the board as of this afternoon.

Last edited:
URBANA, Ill. – University of Illinois Director of Athletics Mike Thomas dismissed head football coach Tim Beckman on Friday, citing preliminary results of an external review into allegations involving the program.

Thomas said the timing is unfortunate with the season one week away. But based on preliminary findings, he said, it was in the best interests of student-athletes to act now rather than when a final report is issued and publicly released, which likely will occur during the season.

"The preliminary information external reviewers shared with me does not reflect our values or our commitment to the welfare of our student-athletes, and I've chosen to act accordingly," Thomas said. "During the review, we have asked people not to rush to judgment, but I now have enough information to make this decision in assessing the status and direction of the football program."

Thomas said he has met with players and staff to inform them of the decision and reiterated that the health and well-being of student-athletes is the top priority throughout the athletic department's 21 programs.

During a preliminary briefing from the external reviewers, Thomas said he learned of efforts to deter injury reporting and influence medical decisions that pressured players to avoid or postpone medical treatment and continue playing despite injuries. He also said in some instances student-athletes were treated inappropriately with respect to whether they could remain on scholarship during the spring semester of their senior year if they weren't on the team.

"Both of those findings are unsettling violations of University policy and practice and do not reflect the culture that we wish to create in athletic programs for our young people," Thomas said. "I expect my coaches to protect players and foster their success on and off the field."

He said the review continues and a final report has not yet been issued. To date, more than 90 individuals have been interviewed by the Franczek Radelet law firm and 200,000 documents have been reviewed, along with a large volume of practice and game video from Beckman's three years as head coach.

Thomas said Bill Cubit, who joined the Illini coaching staff as offensive coordinator in 2013, has been named interim head coach for the 2015 season. The appointment will be submitted to the Board of Trustees for approval at their September 10 meeting. Thomas said the external review did not indicate any findings related to Coach Cubit.

I don't get it. Was Cubit the "Narc"? Otherwise, how do you promote from within? Surely Cubit knew all of the things listed in that statement, if they were occurring. I would like to know his contract and whether this is a bunch of bologna designed at forcing him out for cause to avoid paying him.

I don't get it. Was Cubit the "Narc"? Otherwise, how do you promote from within? Surely Cubit knew all of the things listed in that statement, if they were occurring. I would like to know his contract and whether this is a bunch of bologna designed at forcing him out for cause to avoid paying him.

You can't bring someone in from the outside this late in the game; Cubit didn't necessarily have to know whether all these alleged things were occurring or not. The San Diego Chargers went an entire two years without the GM or HC saying a word directly to each other back in the day, no way of telling how the culture was at Illinois and who knew what and who didn't. What I DO know is that a lot of Illinois players complained about this guy and the way he conducted himself. Hard to think that is any sort of conspiracy, Hell...he almost got into a fist fight with Cubit on the sidelines two years ago. His agent wrote him a nice rebuttal statement to the charges and he delivered it well apparently...I'm not adjusting Illinois PR even a little going into week one.

GAINESVILLE, Fla. -- Gators head coach Jim McElwain announced prior to Thursday night's practice that freshman Martez Ivey, one of the top offensive line prospects in the country, is out indefinitely due to an unspecified leg injury.

Ivey reported pain in the leg Thursday and will undergo what McElwain described as a "scope" on Friday morning.

"Found a pre-existing thing that was kind of bothering him,'' McElwain said. "We'll get that cleaned up. Have no idea exactly when his return will be."

Ivey emerged in preseason camp as the potential starter at left tackle. In Ivey's absence, sophomore David Sharpe will move from right tackle to the left side, and freshman Fred Johnson will play right tackle. Graduate transfer Mason Halter can also play either left or right tackle.

McElwain added that fifth-year senior Trip Thurman, working primarily at left guard, can also move outside if needed to provide depth. Redshirt freshman Travaris Dorsey (leg) returned to practice this week at guard, which allows Thurman to rotate positions if needed.

Right guard Antonio Riles has been impressed with Ivey's development in his short time on campus.

"It's a big blow for us, but I think Martez is going to be perfectly fine,'' Riles said. "We've all cross-trained certain positions, so I wouldn't be surprised if there are guys who are gonna step up. I've played left and right. Sharpe plays left and right. Halter plays left and right. I'm sure everybody will adjust to it and we'll be just fine."

DOUBLE DOSE

McElwain reiterated Thursday that quarterbacks Treon Harris and Will Grier will both play in the season opener Sept. 5 against New Mexico State.

McElwain said playing both was the likely plan on Tuesday after practice.

"It will play itself out,'' McElwain said. "There isn't a timetable. The timetable is figure out a way to win the football game with whoever is moving the team at that position and getting the right parts at the other positions as well.

"By no means am I displeased with what they're doing, but we still need to see them in live action and ... how they elevate the play of the people around them."

I like the fact that Montgomery confirmed the starting QB job sooner vs later by going on record with Dane, as I think most thought he was going to be the starter, but always good IMO to have the coach put any rumors to rest in advance so that the team can focus on who will be leading them in week 1.

Tulsa Head Coach Philip Montgomery also indicated today that junior Dane Evans is the starting quarterback for the Golden Hurricane.

"Dane's earned the right to start. He's been the most consistent through camp and really through the spring. He's done a great job of understanding what we want to do offensively. He's still got a lot of things to work on and he's still got to grow, but I think he's done a better job of taking care of the football and executing and trying to be a leader. We're going to open up with him, and he's going to lead our football team," said Montgomery.

In 12 games last year, Evans completed 55-percent of his passes for 3,102 yards and 23 touchdowns. He ranked second in the American Athletic Conference for completions per game (21.3), passing yards per game (258.5) and total offense (263.3), while ranking third for passing yards and passing TDs.

Montgomery also talked about how weather conditions have interrupted games in college football, and today's lightning delay should give his guys an idea of what it could be like during a game with similar conditions.

"A situation like this can give guys an idea of what it's going to be like. These things do happen. I've been involved in several of them, and it's about the way you handle it and what you do inside, and then coming back out and being able to prepare your mind and body to get back to work in a hurry," said Montgomery. "I thought defensively we did that really well today, offensively we didn't."

Montgomery continued to praise the play of the defensive unit.

"I thought the defense today had a ton of energy. They were executing extremely well. They were batting balls down and making stops at the line of scrimmage," Montgomery said. "From an energy level, technique standpoint and an assignment standpoint I thought the defense was 'on' today."

Tulsa opens the 2015 season against the FAU Owls on Saturday, September 5, at H.A. Chapman Stadium with game time set for 2:30 p.m.

Just got back from 2 amazing weeks in the D.R. with my son which put me a little behind but I tell you it was 100% worth it and I wouldn't have it any other way!

Going with BOL this year as they seemed to be the best for me in terms of handling the initial deposit I was looking at, and if anyone wants any insight into the deposit process and timeline, just shoot me a PM as I would be more than happy to share my experience.

No plays as of yet, as again I am a little late to the party this year, but I should have my week 1 plays posted by next weekend at the latest.

Snagged my UNC vs SC tickets months ago, so looking forward to sharing the experience at BofA with my son on opening night.

Looking forward to great discussion this year guys!

Best of luck this season. I'll probably ride a few of these with you. Always appreciate your thoughts.

No matter who it is, I think they are going to struggle. Last season was the first season since 2010 that SC didn't have a backup QB that took more than 20 percent of the pass attempts.

2011: Shaw 188, Garcia 118.
2012: Shaw 228, Thompson 127
2013: Shaw 284, Thompson 89
2014: Thompson 451, Cooper 8, Mitch 6.

A lot of the years the SC offense hasn't missed a beat because they had a QB that had some playing experience, some starting experience, and came right in and played well. In this case, they will be starting someone that hasn't started ever, against a UNC defense with a new coordinator and a ton of talent. Who knows what they do with that talent, thats the question...

Welcome sabertstxvii. Look forward to your contributions and the rest of the team.

Headed back on the road Monday, so gonna lock the rest of my plays in this weekend as I won't be back and settled til Wednesday evening, and Thursday will be all about my Heels at BofA, marking the 5th home opener with my son. Hard for me to imagine when he hasn't even turned 8 yet...Start em young, raise em right!

On that note, just added a play on my Heels +3 110 at BOL using 22% of the free play funds received with my initial deposit. Same size as a normal unit but still wanted to call it out since it is a free play so less risk obviously.

Weather could go either way Thursday night according to the local forecasts around town as we might get hit with rain and storms or they might pass us by before kickoff. Gonna keep an eye out as an under play could also be a possibility if the forecasts start leaning towards rough weather that night. Will keep an eye on the local broadcasts while I am on the road.

Updated Card..All plays at BOL. Too lazy to type so just copied and pasted from the pending screen.

Football - 211 Western Kentucky/Vanderbilt over 64½ -110 for Game
Football - 163 New Mexico State +36 -110 for Game
Football - 134 North Carolina +3 -110 for Game
Football - 199 Texas State +30 -110 for Game
Football - 145 Ohio -9 -105 for Game
Football - 157 Kent State +16 -110 for Game
Football - 148 Arizona -31 -110 for Game
Football - 135 FIU +17 -115 for Game

Final Play of Week 1 just added...Was waiting for this one to dip below 7 and it landed at 6 1/2 so I will take it as Tulsa should be fun to watch on offense and they should be looking for some payback vs the Owls for the last time around and I think they have the athletes to take care of business in this one.

Football - 168 Tulsa -6½ -110 for Game

Final Week 1 Card. All plays to win 1 unit at BOL.

Football - 134 North Carolina +3 -110 for Game
Football - 157 Kent State +16 -110 for Game

hey...good to see you around, CB. hope your heels get the W this week. :shake:

Thanks man, great to see you drop by the thread. Looking forward to riding the Lynx into the city on Thursday with my son as gates open at 4:30pm and we plan to head down as soon I get him from school and we change into our Tarheel gear. Should be a fun one to watch. Looking like mid 90s right now with a slight chance of showers so not gonna touch the total as the heavy rain looks like it will not hit here until Friday instead of Thursday like initially projected.

I know this is a longshot but throwing it out there anyway...

If anyone from CTG is headed down to BofA for the game on Thursday, give me a shout as I have always been curious as to what kind of degenerates hang out in a forum like this...present company included LOL.

GL this year CB.....with you on NMSU, but against on Ohio/Idaho....just a gut on Idaho

BOL once again this season CG, if you make it to the NCSU - UNC game let me know as I will probably be there. I'm on your boys in the opener as well, everything I've got points to this being the breakout year for the Heels

That FAU offensive explosion on Tulsa last year has to be a little bit flukish I would think. I like the new system with Tulsa but the QB is an atrocity. Once he gets a decent hurler, Tulsa might return to being ok. I think at current numbers, there is value with Tulsa as well. Enjoy the game Thursday.

As high powered as our offense is I actually think the key for us will be our offensive line and how well we can run the ball as that is what will open up opportunities for us in my opinion.

Elijah hood from right here in Charlotte won the starting job over tj Logan and I am really looking for this to be the coming out party for hood as he is an amazing athlete that showed streaks of promise last year but was hampered by injuries throughout the season.

I also love the fact that marquise is the healthiest he has been since he arrived in chapel hill, which will greatly increase his ability to be a threat in all aspects of the offensive game tonight.

Should be a fun one to watch tonight!

Brutal week 1 to say the least but been around far too long to let 1 week get me down as the journey has just begun and I am in this for the long haul as always.

Since the Kent game was moved that one was graded as no action and the UNC play was a fp, so below is a recap of the 7 games from week 1. Hide the women and children and be sure to turn away if you are sqeamish LOL. Headed up North this week on business but will be back late Wed or Thurs so looking forward to some good week 2 discussion later this week. Have a safe rest of your long weekend guys! Family time awaits for me the rest of the weekend...

Loss
Loss
Loss
Win
Loss
Loss
Win

Overall Week 1 Record 2-5 (Week 1 Ending Balance -3.2612 units)

Back