Cardinals vs Royals Preview Article (Monday)

VirginiaCavs

CTG Super Moderator
Staff member
Cardinal Bettors Should Hope For Kansas City’s Kennedy to Avoid Assassination

St. Louis opens a three-game series with KC Monday night at 8:15 ET. As long as KC's Ian Kennedy pitches as scheduled, the Cardinals make for a strong „first-five" bet.

Kansas City Royals at St. Louis Cardinals

MLB Pick: St Louis 1H

The Royals are in a peasant-like betting spot: the first-half ML is 1-6 in their first game of a road series.

But the biggest reason why KC is a bad bet is starting pitcher Ian Kennedy (1-4, 4.98 ERA). As a fly ball pitcher, Kennedy’s chief task is to ensure that batted balls stay fly balls and do not become home runs. He’s done a poor job of that, allowing four homers in his last 10 innings pitched. Expect more of the same as Kennedy resumes his career-worst month in terms of ERA and FIP (like ERA, but factors out luck).

Kennedy is not the pitcher he once was. Always a fastball pitcher, in Kennedy’s best years, he used his favorite pitch with greater effectivity. In 2014, his last season with a sub-four FIP and opposing home run rate at least half of what it’s been since then, he located his fastball with twice as much frequency in the most inside parts of the strike zone against same-handed batters. This season, he isn’t able to achieve the same location with nearly the same consistency. He had relied on pitching inside to enhance the perceived velocity of his fastball. Now that his fastball no longer feels as fast, hitters are having an easier time. They are slugging a career-high .639 against it. Kennedy has reduced his fastball usage in each of his past three games as he’s losing confidence with it. Nonetheless, he still throws it 60% of the time—he doesn’t really know anything else.

The declining Royal is yielding a 5.66 FIP to right-handed batters. The Cards, in terms of the metric SLG-xSLG, which compares where a team’s slugging percentage is with where it should be, are the third-most underachieving team in baseball against the fastball. But they have been rediscovering their scoring prowess, scoring 18 runs combined on May 18 and 19, largely thanks to their .545 slugging percentage against the fastball. Tommy Pham and Jose Martinez have been hot the past week. Pham is hitting over .300 against righties and boasts an OPS (on-base plus slugging; average is .720) over 1.000 at home and at night. Martinez slugs .508 against righties and bats .345 at night. Jedd Gyorko slugs .815 against the fastball.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Miles Mikolas (5-0, 2.63 ERA) enjoys pitching in his new home, where his FIP is 1.67 in three starts and where he locates his pitches better. For instance, in his last home start vs the Cubs he left his pitches with much less frequency in the middle parts of the strike zone than on April 2nd in Milwaukee. Mikolas relies on a more balanced variety of pitches. To righties, he prefers the fastball in all situations and 45% of the time overall. Three of Kansas City’s top four batters in terms of BA hit, since 2017, below their current BA against the fastball at Mikolas’ average velocity of 95 mph, indicating that they have little with which to counter what Mikolas will offer them. Mikolas is allowing a .186 BA at home to righties. He likes to start lefties off with a sinker. Royals lefties haven’t seen much of the sinker and are metrically the second-most overachieving team against it.

Mikolas wants you to swing and make soft contact with his pitches. So he throws a first-pitch strike 69.9% of the time and induces contact in the zone 90.1% of the time. In terms of walk percentage and swing percentage both overall and at pitches in the zone, the Royals, like the Cubs lineup that Mikolas just dominated, are one of the most aggressive lineups. Their aggression will play into Mikolas’ hands.

Last edited:
Believe me, after being so disgusted with my friends today, I was so inclined to bet against them at all costs lol. But I believe strongly in this play

ONLY FIRST HALF! i'm sure they'll find a way to lose even if the 1H ML hits lol. Unfortunately didn't have enough space to express this quip lol

Been playing with my article titles. I'm sure this will get changed just like "Snakes Can't Breathe in the Metropolitan" lol. Just trying to stand out lol

Cant give exact numbers for obvious reasons when i have to submit article before teams play another game thats why I just say Pham is hot etc

No bet is ever danger-free. Biggest danger I foresee is Salvador Perez based on his numbers vs fastball. Hopefully Mikolas pitches conservatively to him or just relies on other pitches. But yea just one problematic guy is a very good thing

Last edited:
I can be sophomoric I won‘t deny it lol. editors changed the title. Thing is its -150 for the -.5 lol which surprises me. I mean i see guys like wire and cash lay way more juice but yea its not ideal but i got assigned a game with such a huge line and i dont want the dog. can always just put it in an open parlay last resort no harm there or just reduce wager size

I just care about providing intellectual content and the most well-reasoned play when it comes down to it if my humor is sophomoric too so be it im not cut from the same cookie as most people lol

Kennedy. In nine career starts covering 51 innings, Kennedy is 3-6 with a 7.41 ERA, allowing a whopping 11 homers.
His last start was Tuesday night when he yielded five runs, seven hits and three walks in a six-inning stint against Tampa Bay. Kennedy fanned six and settled for a no-decision in a 6-5 loss. It was the fourth time in six outings he allowed at least four runs.
Mikolas has issued just five walks in eight starts, covering 51 1/3 innings. Mikolas, who will make his first career appearance against Kansas City, has ceded two runs or less in seven of his eight starts.
The Cardinals are coming off a split of a four-game series against Philadelphia, winning Sunday's series finale 5-1 as rookie Jack Flaherty secured his first big league win with a dominant outing. The right-hander whiffed 13 hitters in 7 2/3 innings and 120 pitches, yielding only two hits and a run.
Flaherty's outing was even more impressive when one considers that St. Louis' bullpen was thin after being taxed heavily in the series' first three games, and that his previous career high for innings in an MLB start was six.

Mikolas has 8 starts for the Cardinals this year. He is 7-1 in the first 5 innings of those 8 starts with the lone loss coming in his second start. The Cardinals have scored 29 runs in the first 5 innings of those 8 starts while the opposition has scored 9. Of those 9 scored by the opposition 7 came in his first 3 starts of the year. In Mikolas's last 5 starts he has shutout the opposition 4 times in the first 5 innings. The first 5 R/L looks pretty good. G/L everyone.

Mikolas has 8 starts for the Cardinals this year. He is 7-1 in the first 5 innings of those 8 starts with the lone loss coming in his second start. The Cardinals have scored 29 runs in the first 5 innings of those 8 starts while the opposition has scored 9. Of those 9 scored by the opposition 7 came in his first 3 starts of the year. In Mikolas's last 5 starts he has shutout the opposition 4 times in the first 5 innings. The first 5 R/L looks pretty good. G/L everyone.

Pool? I think I recognize the avatar from Covers? You know a lot about Duke vs Notre Dame? And from pregame

I haven't been at Covers for a long time. I'm at pregame but not posting much over the summer. I"m retired and play a lot of golf. LOL....I don't follow Duke or Notre Dame. I follow the OVC and MVC very close in basketball and the FCS division in football. I live in Missouri so naturally follow the Cardinals closely.

My old hs xc and track coach was the only one allowed to call me Mikey no idea why he did...for all four years... but it was ok

Back