Cardinals vs Rockies Preview Article (Wednesday)

VirginiaCavs

CTG Super Moderator
Staff member
Up-and-coming Pitchers Take Centerstage in Wednesday’s Rockies-Cardinals Clash

Two Wild Card contenders, St. Louis and Colorado, meet in St. Louis on Wednesday at 8:15 ET. Both starters are young studs who are ready to flex their stuff in what should be a tight affair.

Rockies at Cardinals

MLB Pick: Under

A common mistake that bettors make is cite meaningless trends—trends that have no logical reason for them, that are actually superstition. When a trend is meaningless, it can of course continue, for the same reason that a coin can land on heads eight consecutive times. But if heads hits eight times in a row, that’s not a reason to bet on heads again. On the contrary, if there is a 50% chance of heads or tails, then bettors should expect tails to finally land. The same concept applies to meaningless trends. So it’s tempting to bet on Colorado because St. Louis starter Luke Weaver (6-9, 4.70 ERA) is 0-4 after a win. But this trend is misleading because it implies that Weaver struggles after a win. Actually, Weaver’s FIP (like ERA, but factors out luck) was under 3.20 and he yielded one run after three of five wins.

Weaver leans on his fastball, throwing it with 55% frequency and relying on it most in all scenarios. He tends to keep it elevated with his above average spin rate, which is a major reason for his high opposing fly ball percentage. Weaver adds variety to his arsenal with a change-up that averages eight mph fewer than his 94 mph heater. He concentrates it low in the zone, placing it with 55% frequency in the bottom row. It’s his favorite whiff pitch because of how it plays off his fastball in terms of velocity and location, combined with which its vertical movement entices a futile swing with two strikes.

He shows good form, conceding two runs or fewer in three of his past four starts, and will continue it against the Rockies, who match up poorly with him. They rank 22nd in slugging away against the fastball from righties and 27th against Weaver’s two favorite pitches, the fastball and change-up, from righties, away. Weaver is undervalued. The „under“ is hitting in 66% of his home starts.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Colorado’s Kyle Freeland, (9-6, 3.13 ERA) like Weaver, shows strong form, allowing one run or fewer in three of his past four starts and two or fewer in seven of his past eight starts. The „under“ is 16-5 (76%) in his starts.

The southpaw Freeland relies on five different pitches with between eight and 38% frequency, although he occasionally throws his least frequent pitch, the slider, with up to 41% frequency, and his most frequent one, the fastball, with only 13% frequency. His variety makes him unpredictable. For instance, against right-handed batters he's throwing each of his five pitches with at least 10% frequency as a first pitch.

What Weaver brings in velocity, Freeland brings in location. Freeland avoids the middle of the plate. His five most frequent pitch locations are on the outer peripheries of the zone. His location, that’s either precise or just misses the zone, helps him induce the 12th-highest soft contact rate. He also doesn’t allow many homers despite pitching in Coors Field. This fact makes him an insanely good „under“ pitcher at home, where oddsmakers set a higher game total in anticipation of homers.

Freeland has allowed five homers in his past ten games, which would give him the fourth-best opposing home run rate after Aaron Nola and Jacob deGrom. This strength makes him a positive match-up against the Cards’ lineup, which is homer-dependent. It ranks ninth in homers per game, but 17th in runs per game. Familiarity has hurt the Cards, who have mustered two or three runs in their last three game-threes in a series with their hottest hitter, Matt Carpenter, achieving no more than a hit in each of them.

St. Louis has seen immediate results after cleaning up its bullpen, conceding zero runs in its last four games after the sixth inning. Colorado’s bullpen ranks 10th in FIP. Scott Oberg and Adam Ottavino boast sub-three ERA’s.

Before going full game, gotta see if righties Oh, Oberg and Ottavino have been used much. Rox pen boasts little quality in its lefties and Cards rank 8th in slugging vs lefties and metrically underachieving (not that Freeland hasn't dominated top-10 teams vs lefties like Oakland recently among every other such team besides familiar division rival Zona)

Jon Gray today will be interesting too. Has been great after coming back from his short AAA stint. Last outing was on 11 days rest tho. Last two games indicate he has fixed his struggles pitching with runners on base, but he is a head case. If he is on, he’ll pitch 7 strong, if he can escape the first inning he’ll dominate the rest. I’ll bet on him tonight with plus money again. Rox get no respect on the road which is stupid. But I’m happy to get it. :hypnosis:

I have questions about rox pen, they just added Oh to bolster it for god sakes! Unless he has improved dramatically since his time in stl that can’t be a good sign for your pen.

Am I taking that flipping the coin analogy wrong in understanding you saying after 8 heads a tails would be more likely next flip? I gotta be reading that wrong or misunderstanding what you meant cause we both know it could land heads 1000x in a row and it still has no effect on likelihood of the 1001 flip being tails.

I have questions about rox pen, they just added Oh to bolster it for god sakes! Unless he has improved dramatically since his time in stl that can’t be a good sign for your pen.

Am I taking that flipping the coin analogy wrong in understanding you saying after 8 heads a tails would be more likely next flip? I gotta be reading that wrong or misunderstanding what you meant cause we both know it could land heads 1000x in a row and it still has no effect on likelihood of the 1001 flip being tails.

My point was eventual regression to mean. In 100 coin-flips one would expect 50 heads and tails based on 50% probability whereas some people think meaningless trends should continue. I did say „of course the trend could continue“ which addressed your evident point

Then Freeland goes 7 with a nice lead Wednesday and we don’t need Otto but can use Davis again for 1 inning close

I’m betting Gray to go 7 then bring in Otto for the 8th and Davis to close it out. Ballgame. :tiphat:

Cowboy joe been pretty homerific, home favs cash at pretty high clip w him calling balls and strikes. Gray only has had 1 start w him and it was bad. Kinda torn on this game, thinking if gray can get thru that 1st inning the ff under be money but cards bats been pretty good in early innings lately. Tough one.

As if today’s gm wasn’t tough enough looks like there lot of storms popping up in area, could see some delays early on.

Im playin let-down angle but yuck. You live over there, maybe you can stop the storms from coming eh? :)

Im playin let-down angle but yuck. You live over there, maybe you can stop the storms from coming eh? :)

Lol. I didn’t even know it was supposed to rain but started hearing thunder and had to run outside and roll my windows up (been pretty nice lately), lol. Just looked at radar and there were storms popping up all over.

Lol. I didn’t even know it was supposed to rain but started hearing thunder and had to run outside and roll my windows up (been pretty nice lately), lol. Just looked at radar and there were storms popping up all over.

Jesus that would have been a disaster for your car. I don‘t even know how one dries out the inside of a car its not like shoes which you just stick outside!

Jesus that would have been a disaster for your car. I don‘t even know how one dries out the inside of a car its not like shoes which you just stick outside!

I woulda been pissed, I’m home today and my girl wanted to take it to store or something, I asked her if windows were up and she said yes, I look outside and damn windows down, sunroof opened, she dying to piss me off I guess!! Lol

I woulda been pissed, I’m home today and my girl wanted to take it to store or something, I asked her if windows were up and she said yes, I look outside and damn windows down, sunroof opened, she dying to piss me off I guess!! Lol

Aw it was just an honest mistake i‘m sure? :)

Aw it was just an honest mistake i‘m sure? :)

Me too but fuck how hard is it to say “I don’t know”?? Hate when someone tells me a answer as fact when it just a freaking guess or assumption. my ex wife was the worst, I had to pretty much goggle check anything she said cause she was queen of pretending to know something when she didn’t have a damn clue!! Lol

Me too but fuck how hard is it to say “I don’t know”?? Hate when someone tells me a answer as fact when it just a freaking guess or assumption. my ex wife was the worst, I had to pretty much goggle check anything she said cause she was queen of pretending to know something when she didn’t have a damn clue!! Lol

Lmao I experienced this every day as an exchange student in Germany. The foreigners would be nodding their head and smiling in conversation with Germans when they didn't have a fucking clue what was being said. Insecure frauds!

People just don't want to disappoint you I think :)

I’m doubling my bet on the ROX, I just think Gray will be good enough to minimize the damage and not blow up with runners on again. Even when he did do that he still struck out 10. That AAA stint was just what he needed. And I’ll tail Berry on the Phillies and Rays.

Hope the nats are reasonable. I don’t care if it’s Milone pitching. Thor looked human in his start off the DL before being diagnosed w hand, foot, and mouth disease. Can’t see him throwing past 5-6 innings just hope the nats nats have something left

Let's find another winner tonight hopefully :)

Shoulda went w the FF under last night like I kept taking bout but knew it was gonna be close/depend a lot on grays 1st inning. He only gave up the typical cards solo shot so it squeezed under even tho got dicey in 5th wit flarherty (kinda where my thoughts were pointing w cards scoring in 1st and rox towards end of jacks night).

I’ve done a 180 and come to conclusion that Carp doesn’t deserve mvp consideration because he would be far more valuable to us if he could put these numbers up from the 3 hole. The fact he not even as valuable as he could be eliminates him from being most valuable in the league imho (h = harsh not humble in this case, lol)..

Really like the 1st 5 under 4.5. Think cards will get to rox pen in this one and while I like the changes made to our pen at the moment it a complete guessing game who they gonna use before the 8th-9th. Don’t see weaver going past 6 so no interest in inning or 2 of not a clue who it gonna be, until that starts to take form gonna have to play cards totals in this fashion imo.

Absolute bullshit. The Rockies manager is a fucking half-wit for putting in Mcgee when he had better AND right-handed relievers waiting. Those two runs should never have happened.

Dude I got no clue who they thinking for Martinez spot seeing how the used Poncedeleon, Gomber, and Hudson tonight! Lol. Was really hoping we get to see Hudson but now no clue??

Back