Cardinals vs Pirates Preview Article (Sunday)

VirginiaCavs

CTG Super Moderator
Staff member
No Booty for Pirates in Finale vs Cardinals

The Cardinals close a four game home series Sunday afternoon vs Pittsburgh. Form and familiarity are the two key words that justify a Cardinals 1H play.

Pittsburgh Pirates at St. Louis Cardinals

MLB Pick: St. Louis 1H

Last season, Reds starter Amir Garrett nearly no-hit the Cardinals through six innings in his first career start. When the Cardinals saw him again, he didn’t make it past the fourth inning. The same situation is developing. Pirates starter Nick Kingham (2-1, 3.75 ERA) was close to a perfect game in his first ever start against St. Louis. He has allowed three or four runs in each of his three starts since. Kingham has to figure out how to be effective despite being a familiar commodity.

Against the Cards, Kingham threw his slider with 32% frequency, which he hasn’t been able to do since. Its funky movement, velocity differential and identical release point with his curveball deceived Cardinal batters all night, who had had no idea what awaited them, since this pitch was a new addition to his repertoire. Consequently, they batted .091 against it and more than half their swings against it were whiffs.

His slider has become less effective, yielding an opposing slugging percentage above .600 in two of his past three starts, even though those two teams rank in the bottom half in slugging against the slider. This regression partly derives from familiarity-- teams are figuring out how to hit this pitch as more scouting tape becomes available. But his slider is also deteriorating in quality. In his last two starts, its spin rate has dropped about 200 rotations per minute, which makes it less deceptive to the batter’s perception. Its vertical movement has also risen so that hitters are better able to track it. Its movement has become less tricky.

Kingham won’t be able to throw his slider as often or as well. He also throws a sinker which his last two opponents slugged over .650 against because he keeps leaving it in the middle parts of the strike zone. His other primary pitch is his fastball, which Cardinal batters will be able to sit on and thereby repeat their history with Amir Garrett. Kingham’s fastball is nothing special regarding velocity, movement, etc. In the past two weeks, the Cards rank ninth in slugging against the fastball. Look out for Jedd Gyorko, who is slugging .667 against the fastball. Marcell Ozuna is hitting over .300 in his past seven days, upstart Harrison Bader over .400 and with great power.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Michael Wacha (6-1, 2.71 ERA) shows great form for St. Louis. He hasn’t allowed more than two runs in his past eight outings and has won six consecutive decisions. Wacha's velocity is improving and his May ERA is down 1.60 from April. He’s yielding +4.4 units in home games, where his ERA is 1.42 lower than on the road.

The key for Wacha has been to improve his secondary stuff and rely less on his inconsistent fastball. Opponents are slugging .200 or lower against his curve, cutter and change-up than they did in April and have mustered only one extra-base hit.. He’s improved the command of his curveball, which he throws more often for a strike. His cutter cuts more, making it more elusive, so that hitters are producing less line drives from it and more ground balls. With his changeup, he’s able to pinpoint more frequently the lowest corners of the zone. He also uses it more often as his first pitch, which cuts into his fastball usage. Opponents can’t brace for his 94 mph first-pitch fastball anymore because they would get frozen by his changeup.

Last season, Wacha owned PIttsburgh in St. Louis, going 2-0 against them and allowing one run in 14.1 combined innings. Wacha matches up well with Pittsburgh as a pitcher who likes to hammer the lowest quadrant of the strike zone, which he’s been doing well lately. Against pitches thrown in this area, the Pirates are slugging below-average, .293.

To be completely honest I like this play less after Cards walk-off win. Ive been posting about Cards being prone to letdown. But last two walkoffs— on espn sunday night vs rival cubs and 5 runs vs pirates—were much more dramatic. So hopefully no letdown this time.

Obv cant do anything about when I had to write article. Regardless I think this is the play to make on the game

To be completely honest I like this play less after Cards walk-off win. Ive been posting about Cards being prone to letdown. But last two walkoffs— on espn sunday night vs rival cubs and 5 runs vs pirates—were much more dramatic. So hopefully no letdown this time.

Nice change them winning games late, think that was our 7th walk off or something already this year. Big difference from last few seasons!!

Wacha kinda tough to figure this year, his walk rate and hard hit rate are the worst of his career but era his best. His fip pretty much in line w rest of career (slightly lower actually) but his xfip and siera are among career worst. His velo down a few ticks but guys aren't making contact nearly as much. One things I really don't like is how much his 1st pitch strike percentage has dropped but maybe he made a adjustment cause guys were jumping on his 1st pitch? (This just a guess, I don't know if that is true). What I do like is he been consistently pitching into the 6th inning where as in previous years him getting past the 5th was a issue, been a incredible improvement his 3rd time through the order! Last 2 years teams 3rd time thru that been right around a .900 ops and this year that a career low .532!! So definitely some good things to offset his career worst things he has going on. Just really curious if the great era holds up??

Definitely agree they should get to kingman this time around, we notorious for struggling w pitchers there no film on. Another thing w wacha this year he been worse in the day games which something else that backwards from rest of his career. Havnt looked at ump yet but considering a cards ff rl or putting full game ml in a parlay.

Not a good ump for us. Not good for home favs and wacha had 2 starts w him in '16 with no success.

Meh I personally don't put much stock into those ump stats tbh, not sure how you really validate them. And Wacha in 2016 is an eternity ago

Read it way early today, either forgot or didn't notice.

Sorry I meant that I reread it and recalled the detail about those velo struggles. Not gonna try to command you or anyone to read my article lmao

damn my communication skills!! offensive!!! :(

Couldn't even include that specific detail, spent too much of word count explaining why Kingham won't be perfect again lol

Michael Wacha 6-1, 2.71 ERA has won six straight decisions since losing his first start March 31 at the New York Mets. His latest victory came Tuesday night in Milwaukee, where he gave up only two hits and a run over 6 1/3 innings with four walks and three strikeouts in a 6-1 victory.Wacha is 5-3 with a 3.89 ERA in 15 games (14 starts) versus Pittsburgh.
Nick Kingham 2-1, 3.75 In his last start Tuesday night, Kingham had a no-decision in an 8-6 loss to the Chicago Cubs, yielding three runs and eight hits over 5 2/3 innings. Manager Clint Hurdle is hoping Kingham can improve his location, particularly against left-handed hitters.

That b2b days with bombs after hitting for average the last week or 2. Bout damn time, I was starting to bad mouth him, that usually works out well!! Lol

Ok maybe if you‘re on a losing streak I should cuss you out Dan ??

Wacha no-hitter thru 5

Thanks Ozuna

Comfortable winner :)

Heard the tv guys say he has something like a 46-0 record when receiving 4+ run support??! I was busy making a marinade for this chicken I'm gonna grill so not sure I heard it 100% accurately but remember hearing and thinking "damn!".

He was excellent per usual against the butt pirates!! You were right bout his velo too, he was hitting 97 pretty late in the game!! Think that long bottom of 8th prob what did in the no no, he had to sit a good 20 minutes. Good thing cause our offense didn't do jack shit after the 1st!!

Back