Cardinals vs Cubs Preview Article

VirginiaCavs

CTG Super Moderator
Staff member
Cubbies Will Play Like Adults Against Cardinals

The Cardinals will try to bounce back tonight at 8:15 ET on Fox. Their rival Cubs embarrassed them last night in St. Louis and two different starting pitchers tonight won’t suffice to generate a different result.

Chicago Cubs (39-27) at St. Louis Cardinals (36-31)

MLB Pick: Chicago ML -109

Bettors will encounter situations where head and heart conflict. As a Cardinals fan, I am always tempted to bet them, but, based on my objective betting criteria, the Cubs look solid.

St. Louis’ Carlos Martinez (3-3, 2.50 ERA) is showing atrocious form after his month-long DL stint. In his last two games against teams that rank in the bottom half in runs per game—Miami and Cincinnati— he surrendered seven runs in 7.2 innings, walking 12 batters while only striking out 10. His velocity is fine, but his main issue is command. Problems with command are signified by variance in a pitcher’s vertical release points because if a pitcher can’t find comfort in delivering his pitches, then he won’t be able to locate them consistently. Between his two games post-DL, his five pitches showed a variation between .16 and .32 feet. Consequently, compared to his starts before hitting the DL, the ball-to-strike ratio of his fastball and change-up doubled, the same ratio of his cutter quadrupled, and he’s now throwing more balls than strikes with his slider.

Martinez is throwing less than 40% of his pitches in the zone, whereas that number had superseded 40% in his prior games. He has to throw more hittable pitches just to avoid walking every batter. Post-DL, he allowed above his season average in line drive, medium contact and hard contact percentages. Martinez might be a tempting underdog because of his low ERA, but that’s the danger of only looking at a pitcher’s ERA. A pitcher’s season-long accomplishments, as expressed by his ERA, can mask his short-term problems.

Even if he were in good form, Martinez doesn’t match-up well with the Cubs. Last season, he yielded a 4.25 ERA against them in five starts. In the past month, the Cubs rank sixth in slugging against Martinez’ two most frequent pitches, the slider and sinker, thrown by righties. The Cubs had a problem earlier in the season following up a double-digit performance with another strong performance, but they’ve responded well after the past two such occasions. Look out for Anthony Rizzo, who went 3-for-3 last night, and Willson Contreras. Both are slugging over .500 against Martinez.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Chicago’s Kyle Hendricks (4-6, 3.48 ERA) relies primarily on his sinker. He throws it nearly half the time. It lacks velocity, but he gives it strong horizontal and vertical movement to make it more elusive. When he faces runners in scoring position, he relies especially on his change-up, which is his most effective pitch in terms of opposing slugging percentage and which cuts into his fastball usage, which is his worst pitch. His change-up is even more of a ground-ball pitch because of its sinking movement and because of how effectively he commands it. He locates it with about 70% frequency in the lowest row of the zone. He tempts batters to chase it and induces a whiff with it 20.92% of the time.

The Cards rank 27th in slugging against his top two pitches thrown in the lowest row of the zone. Hendricks shows strong form, allowing two runs or fewer in three of his past four starts, so count on him to locate his stuff well. His recent history against the Cards shows promise. In his last two starts, he yielded one run in 12.1 innings. In his other 2017 start against them, he allowed four runs, but those four runs were produced by Stephen Piscotty, who currently plays for Oakland, and Paul DeJong, who is injured. The Cards got some garbage runs last night after falling behind 11-1 after five innings. They’ve now lost five of their last seven home games, despite facing the last-placed Marlins and Padres before last night. They’re yielding -5.4 units at home.

You couldn't fucking pay me to bet on the Cards. Im not going to overthink this one, my friends are playing like shit and i'm not going to bet on them until their hitting gets going NOT TO MENTION CARLOS!

It's all about trust.

Last edited:
I didn’t see any of that game tonight, obviously just the score, their bats seem to have woken up. Ozuna for the cards has been a huge disappointment. I thought he would have a monster year

Carlos Martinez's first eight starts of the year, the St. Louis Cardinals right-hander pitched at a Cy Young Award level. While his record was only 3-2, his ERA was a miniscule 1.62 and he gave up only five earned runs in a seven-start stretch.But a strained right lat cost him four weeks, and Martinez hasn't been the same pitcher since being activated from the 10-day disabled list on June 5. He has walked a whopping 12 batters in 7 2/3 innings, including seven on Sunday in 3 2/3 innings during a 6-3 loss at Cincinnati.
Martinez has been up and down in his career against Chicago, going 4-4 with a 4.53 ERA in 24 outings, 14 of them starts. It will be his first start of the year against the Cubs.
Chicago counters with right-hander Kyle Hendricks (4-6, 3.48), who is coming off a 7-1 loss Sunday to Pittsburgh that had little to do with his performance. Hendricks permitted just three hits and a run in five innings, but Pittsburgh's Josh Harrison led off the game with a homer. The Pirates feasted on the Cubs' bullpen for five runs in the sixth.
Hendricks has pitched fairly well in his career against the Cardinals (36-31) with little to show for it, going 2-2 in 10 starts with a 3.32 ERA. This will be his first appearance in 2018 against St. Louis.

Nice writeup :shake:

It you had faded mr hendricks every time out for the last 365 days you would make more money on that than fading any other pitcher in the bigs. 17-12 at avg +146 for 42% ROI, also 36% ROI fading on RL and 38%ROI betting under. Maybe he's due :verydrunk2: https://goo.gl/1f2xDi

starter = Kyle Hendricks and date > 20170616
SU: 12-17 (0.59, 41.4%) avg line: -160.8 / 146.1 on / against: -$1,543 / +$1,278 ROI: -32.1% / +42.1%
RL: 8-21 (-0.50, 27.6%) avg line: -101.2 / -119.2 on / against: -$1,495 / +$1,345 ROI: -43.5% / +36.3%
OU: 8-21-0 (-1.05, 27.6%) avg total: 8.5 over / under: -$1,411 / +$1,252 ROI: -45.2% / +38.4%

Quality of opponent means very little for Cmart’s situation imo, all about him getting right, he can handle any lineup when that the case as he has done the cubs before. Not good numbers overall but I do recall him having at least one or 2 stellar starts vs them as well. Only 3 current scrubbies sport a ops above .700 against him, that pretty good. I just can’t look at this game with the assumption Martinez will continue having these control issues that have plagued him since returning, gotta believe that something that will work itself out sooner than later, I do anyways.

I’ll start this next point by saying I do think cubs were underpriced (or cards over) yesterday, that said I think cubs had a much better chance yesterday so price being basically the same has me feeling like there some value on cards in this one. Or I guess better way to say it is IF (granted big if) Carlos returns to pre injury form this will be last time we see him as a dog maybe all year (unless things go way south for the team). Hicks and Norris ready and rested so if (there that word again, lol) Carlos pitches well we shouldn’t see the scrub pen guys as i suspect this a game matheny be more than willing to let hicks pitch 2 innings if situation is right (us having lead or tied anytime after 6th).

Certainly possible Martinez continues to struggle in which case you will win easy. I’m just not sure why he wouldn’t start regaining form? Unless he came back too soon which I wouldn’t think be the case as not like we had any need to rush him. Unlike Lester with his low hr rate Hendricks is allowing 1.5 per 9 with a 17% hr/fb rate which both worst of his career. As you probably know cards record is stellar when they hit at least 1 bomb, they incredibly hr dependent and ozuna has been heating up in that regard w the weather. Think it incredibly reasonable to expect multiple jacks in this one. How Martinez performs a lot of guesswork but think the other half of a cards win equation will be there. Waiting to see how much plus money I can get but gonna be on cards anything higher than +110. At least one of us cash!!

Yea Dan if Carlos in good form then Cards are the obvious dog play. Well aware of Cards dependence on power

Yea Dan if Carlos in good form then Cards are the obvious dog play. Well aware of Cards dependence on power

Assumed you were. The fact I believe they hit at least one in this game helps me ignore Carlos control issues since returning. I havnt looked at ump but I do like cards chances of scoring more than I have all week.

Assumed you were. The fact I believe they hit at least one in this game helps me ignore Carlos control issues since returning. I havnt looked at ump but I do like cards chances of scoring more than I have all week.

I mean i see same thing here as with Velasquez who also had hr problem (no transitive property implied). They get a homer couple runs but then what. 3-4 runs total? Carlos + pen, just based off form. And yea i got this game assigned to me so its best play I could justify :) gotta pull that card lol

Quality of opponent means very little for Cmart’s situation imo, all about him getting right, he can handle any lineup when that the case as he has done the cubs before. Not good numbers overall but I do recall him having at least one or 2 stellar starts vs them as well. Only 3 current scrubbies sport a ops above .700 against him, that pretty good. I just can’t look at this game with the assumption Martinez will continue having these control issues that have plagued him since returning, gotta believe that something that will work itself out sooner than later, I do anyways.

I’ll start this next point by saying I do think cubs were underpriced (or cards over) yesterday, that said I think cubs had a much better chance yesterday so price being basically the same has me feeling like there some value on cards in this one. Or I guess better way to say it is IF (granted big if) Carlos returns to pre injury form this will be last time we see him as a dog maybe all year (unless things go way south for the team). Hicks and Norris ready and rested so if (there that word again, lol) Carlos pitches well we shouldn’t see the scrub pen guys as i suspect this a game matheny be more than willing to let hicks pitch 2 innings if situation is right (us having lead or tied anytime after 6th).

Certainly possible Martinez continues to struggle in which case you will win easy. I’m just not sure why he wouldn’t start regaining form? Unless he came back too soon which I wouldn’t think be the case as not like we had any need to rush him. Unlike Lester with his low hr rate Hendricks is allowing 1.5 per 9 with a 17% hr/fb rate which both worst of his career. As you probably know cards record is stellar when they hit at least 1 bomb, they incredibly hr dependent and ozuna has been heating up in that regard w the weather. Think it incredibly reasonable to expect multiple jacks in this one. How Martinez performs a lot of guesswork but think the other half of a cards win equation will be there. Waiting to see how much plus money I can get but gonna be on cards anything higher than +110. At least one of us cash!!

CMart has always had control issues, they didn't just come out of nowhere

Back