Cardinals RSW Article

VirginiaCavs

CTG Super Moderator
Staff member
Let the baseball articles begin...

The 2018 St Louis Cardinals Will Fly Above Win Total

The Cardinals are in the midst of what many in St. Louis would call a playoff drought. They mustered 83 wins last season but have made some changes and this year's win total is set at 85.5. Are they poised to eclipse that number?

St. Louis Cardinals

MLB Pick: 'Over' 85.5 Wins

Hitting

The Cards' major acquisition was former Marlins outfielder Marcell Ozuna, who achieved a career-high .312 BA and 37 home runs and finally brings proven power to the middle of the lineup. Other known variables include veteran Matt Carpenter, whose on-base percentage remains consistent despite drops in his batting average and slugging, and Yadier Molina who will look to inch his career BA closer to .290.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The key to the Cards' hitting prowess rests in the inexperienced players who look to join the likes of Carp and Molina as proven commodities and avoid the fate of young players like Stephen Piscotty and Aledmys Diaz who were ultimately dealt away.

Paul DeJong is the biggest question mark. He surprised everybody with a .285 BA and .532 slugging (2017 average slugging was .426). But his low average exit velocity suggests that his slugging may have been flukish. But the infield has depth. Jedd Gyorko produced a career-high .342 on-base percentage (2017 average was .324) and has averaged 25 homers the past two seasons. Also, Jose Martinez achieved a career-high .518 slugging to accompany a smoking average exit velocity.

A 2017 success story that will likely repeat itself is outfielder Tommy Pham. In his fourth MLB season he surpassed .300 in BA and .500 in slugging with his mix of size and speed.

Starting Pitching

Carlos Martinez eclipsed 200 innings last year but is still young, strong and entertaining to interact with on Instagram, especially if you know a little Spanish. The workhorse leads the rotation with a career 3.42 ERA. Michael Wacha is adding a cutter and curveball to his repertoire and is due for some progression with a career 3.84 ERA but 3.61 FIP (like ERA, but factors out luck). Luke Weaver is a developing strikeout stud whose 3.17 FIP last season was masked by an unlucky BABIP. Adam Wainwright is a fading star, whose durability and skill set are questionable. Miles Mikolas became very successful in Japan over the past three years and looks to translate that success in the MLB.

Relief

St. Louis loaded up with big arms who can consistently launch a 95+ mph fastball, like Bud Norris and Dominic Leone, who join Sam Tuivailala and, after he recovers from Tommy John surgery by May, young phenom Alex Reyes. Reyes had, as a rookie, wowed everybody with his triple digit velocity and buckling curveball. He could also provide depth in the rotation. The Cards' division opponents, minus the lowly Pirates, ranked in 2017 in the bottom 10 in team batting average against fastballs thrown at 95+ mph, making these relievers strong match-ups against the teams which STL will face most frequently. Luke Gregorson enjoyed two seasons with an FIP under 3 in Houston and strives for a renaissance in St. Louis after a shaky 2017.

Managing

Little things will have great betting importance in St. Louis: the Cards have a new third base coach who is extra keen on fundamentals, a new pitching coach with the philosophy that can help Carlos Martinez reduce his home runs allowed, and a new bench coach who is equipped to help Mike Matheny with a weak spot in his managing, bullpen tactics. The Cards were second-worst in outs while running the bases, were five games below .500 in one-run games and would have had 97 wins if every game had ended after the eighth inning. The new managers can fix these decisive problems.

The Verdict

The lineup has a star now in Ozuna and budding talent throughout the order in DeJong, Pham and even Kolten Wong, who achieved career-highs in BA and OBP last year, to accompany proven veterans like Carp and Molina. In the rotation, Martinez, Wacha and Weaver can grow into a lethal three-pronged attack. The backside of the rotation is questionable but also supported by depth especially once Reyes returns. The bullpen features depth and heat and an experienced closer in Gregorson. The coaches are built to improve the Cards' fundamentals, especially on the bases, and help Matheny make smarter decisions.

I never invest cash in season long props that don't offer bunch of plus money, so have never played a season long win total. Not that they bad ideas or anything just not for me. So hard for me to say with this team, everything goes well and I could see 90-93 wins. Even if there bumps I'd think you still have decent shot to be right around this number.

Some question marks in rotation but they do have some youngersters not far off who could fill a rotation spot if necessary. Thankfully Mikolas looked far better his 3rd outing this spring, was little worried the way he looked his 1st 2. Don't trip off spring training numbers but his 1st 2 starts he was flat out serving meatballs! Waino been around low 90s this spring, if he healthy enough to stay there opposed to the mid 80s he was at before being put on ice last year i think he be a fine 4th or 5th starter. Wacha's problem is matheny needs to realize what he is which a guy who can get you through a lineup twice then it gets dicey, maybe he can develop a strong 3rd pitch but to this point the curve been nothing more than a get me over experiment, he basically fastball-change which both outstanding. Me and my brother were talking today and think the way they should use Reyes as kinda like wacha piggyback. Be kinda surprised if they wanted to use Reyes as a true reliever who put in high leverage several times a week, might not be best way to bring a young arm back from TJ surgery but if he knows his role is 2-3 innings every wacha start could be a lethal duo! I love weaver and think what we saw last year was what we will get more of. Martinez will blossom into a legit ace sooner than later imo, all the tools there just consistently going deep into games been a issue, let's remember he still only in his age 26 season I believe, mad max, kluber, and many other legit aces were not thought of as such by this point in their careers either.

Think there plenty to like about the lineup, saw tons of things on where cards offense would have ranked last year with a legit 4 hole hitter and plugging in ozuna numbers would have launched them to 3rd in NL I believe. Dejung needs to improve his strikeout/walk ratio but believe he will and his power at short is really nice.,Wong just needs to stay healthy and I believe he can even improve on last season (has a lot more pop than his tiny hr total suggest), Pham is absolutely for real, love that dude he a gamer and truly believe he isn't going anywhere now that he got his eyes figured out! Hopefully carp can put up same type career numbers from 3 hole as for whatever reason he has struggled there in past while being great in leadoff spot (lot of that was simply chances and think it silly not to think he can't maintain same type numbers from any spot in order.

If you made me tie money up all season and pick one I'd absolutely say over and that wouldn't have been case last year, I'm mostly a realist about my squad and would be disappointed if they didn't eclipse 85.

Good read Dan. I forgot that when they finally put Carp back at leadoff they began hitting really well again. Chemistry

Man I hope Ozuna plays like this the whole year!

I have very little doubt he will. When a guy 26 and his numbers have improved every season I think it silly to imply he will regress from last season when it was just the culmination of a continued upward trend imo. He bout ripped the cover off the ball on that 3-0 fastball!! Just didn't get it elevated enough to leave yard, certainly hit it hard enough!!!

I really like the way this team shaping up. The pen was a concern coming in but if anything we have too much talent down there and gonna have several of these talented young arms opening the season at Memphis. My biggest worry was gregerson getting in games id rather see these young flame throwers in but just heard he going on dl which is great imo! Now we just need bud Norris to get hurt! Lol. I honestly feel like they brought few of these guys in just to appease the fan bases concern when in reality they knew they had plenty of young talented arms ready to step into prominent bullpen roles!!

Need bud Norris to get hurt, he so garbage. Just don't understand how they can justify this clown pitching ahead of any our talented youngsters? Just cause he has some closing experience? Experience overrated, talent where it at!!

Need bud Norris to get hurt, he so garbage. Just don't understand how they can justify this clown pitching ahead of any our talented youngsters? Just cause he has some closing experience? Experience overrated, talent where it at!!

Waino already on DL (hamstring)

Actually been betting cards last few days. Couldn't resist the plus money offered in this one!! Stinking Jose Martinez just hit into DP with bases loaded no outs. At least got tying run home I guess. Very disappointed they couldn't open the flood gates on Stras there!

Back