Cardinals/Royals & Rangers/Phillies Parlay Preview Article

VirginiaCavs

CTG Super Moderator
Staff member
Bet This MLB Parlay at (+271) on Wednesday

St. Louis Cardinals vs. Kansas City Royals
Wednesday, May 4, 2022 at 1:10 p.m. ET at Kauffman Stadium in Kansas City

Adam Wainwright

Cardinal starter Adam Wainwright is, in terms of his 3.45 FIP (like ERA, but factors out fielding), enjoying his best season since 2014.

This fact about Waino might just be a good secret because it is easy to dismiss him given his uninspiring 4.00 ERA and given the fact that he is known for his control and is yielding more walks than usual.

Walks might seem like a bad thing. In most cases, it is a sign of poor control.

But more walks is a good thing in Waino's case because his control is still strong.

His strong control is evident in heat maps, which show the extent to which his pitches hit the borders of the strike zone.

This locational consistency -- the fact that he consistently places pitches where it is more difficult for batters to make good contact with them -- explains the excellence with which he is avoiding home runs.

In short, Waino is not walking guys because he has issues with command but because he is a plate-nibbler.

Likewise, he is doing a better job of inducing ground balls than he ever has before.

He is inducing them at such a high rate (53.8 percent) largely because of his sinker-curveball combo.

These are two of his favorite pitches. The former is a classic grounder-inducing pitch while he ably locates the latter in lower parts of the strike zone where batters swing on the top of it, thus producing a ground ball.

Wainwright vs. Royal Batters

I like Waino today because he matches up excellently against Royal batters.

Collectively, they rank dead-last in slugging against Waino's favorite pitches -- the sinker, curveball, and cutter -- from righties.

While recency bias may compel belief in Royal batters given their strong effort in their last game, they have very rarely ever shown consistency from one game to the next.

Cardinal Batters vs. Lefties

The Cardinal lineup is righty-heavy. Its top guys -- Paul Goldschmidt, Nolan Arenado, -- are righties.

Tommy Edman is having an amazing season for himself. He is slugging .600 against lefties.

Overall, the Cardinals rank second in slugging .481 against lefties.

They will dominate Royal lefty Kris Bubic who has been awful even against teams like Cleveland which normally struggle against lefties.

Texas Rangers vs. Philadelphia Phillies
Wednesday, May 4, 2022 at 6:45 p.m. ET at Citizens Bank Park in Philadelphia

Zack Wheeler Right Now

It is easy to dismiss Philly starter Zack Wheeler given his atrocious ERA.

However, his current ERA masks a pretty good 3.61 FIP.

More importantly, Wheeler is figuring things out.

In his last two starts, he yielded a 1.07 FIP against Milwaukee before yielding a 2.74 FIP in his last start against the Rockies.

All we need to know is that there is nothing wrong with Wheeler.

His initial performances, no matter how bad, mean nothing because we know given his recent form that he is capable of performing his best.

Thus, his ERA is a stat that we should discount.

Wheeler's fastball is a serviceable pitch and his sinker-slider duo is lethal -- his slider is effective against both left- and right-handed batters while his sinker helps him take care of same-handed batters.

Pitcher Matchups

I like Wheeler today because Texas ranks dead-last in slugging .269 against Wheeler's three favorite pitches from righties.

Meanwhile, Texas trots a left-handed starter today in Martin Perez.

The fact that Perez is a lefty bodes well for the Phillies because they rank sixth in slugging against lefties.

Look out for Rhys Hoskins, for example, who slugs .579 against lefties.

Best Bet: Parlay Cardinals ML at -135 & Phillies RL at +113 at +271 odds with BetOnline

Okay, will take it.

EDIT - I took it (with some tennis that hit already) so just need your picks to win 250 - gonna need you to ship me a big box of chicken Ramen if they don't come through

Last edited:
Somehow I rolled $20 into $525, and dumped on your parlay...all I need is Phillies now to be back in business

I unfortunately lost both late tennis plays in hilarious fashion,

But still have the $250 parlay riding

Good call on Cards. Let's get Phillies now so I can possibly eat a hot meal for the first time in weeks

Let's hope. And I can't believe I only put $20 on the parlay (4 teamer, 2 tennis early matches and your picks).

I lost a lot of some agonizing late matches so Phillies are my life right now or the car is going in the garage and being left on til I go to sleep

Let's hope. And I can't believe I only put $20 on the parlay (4 teamer, 2 tennis early matches and your picks).

I lost a lot of some agonizing late matches so Phillies are my life right now or the car is going in the garage and being left on til I go to sleep
Let‘s be positive

I made a comment earlier tonight that I guess went out over the air that I am deeply ashamed of. If I have hurt anyone out there, I can't tell you how much I say from the bottom of my heart I'm so very, very sorry. I pride myself and think of myself as a man of faith, as there's a drive into deep left field by Castellanos and that'll be a home run.

Don't tell me it got overturned. I just took my dog outside after it. Now I'm running back

Sheesh I mean if you were to tell me that the Rangers would have zero runs through nine innings, then i'm like ok we got this run-line. But shit.

Back