Cap and VC Chiefs vs Jags Discussion Thread

VirginiaCavs

CTG Super Moderator
Staff member
Cap and I will try to generate a win for the forum on this game using our expertise on our favorite team.

I’ll pose some questions to start us off...

Can Chiefs run D stop being so porous? Healthy Ford and Berry would help. Fournette will be out and Yeldon/Grant aren‘t going to make up for his grind in bw the tackles. Both have been effective in his place, but have other strengths (pass catching, outside the tackles). Also, center Brandon Linder was injured during Jets game. LT Cam Robinson is already on IR

Mahomes has faced three teams ranked in bottom half in sacks per game, other team (Steelers) missed Haden and Shazier. How will he stand up to elite Sacksonville?

I can't wait for this game. Jax got an excellent defense but KC I think scores at least 24. This time they're at home unlike last night. We'll see.

It's too bad Fournette probably won't be a go for this game. Like you said KC's run defense is horrendous.

You want to back Bortles in the toughest road stadium in the sport, have at it.

Advantage Jags defense in terms of prep - tough with travel after MNF + short week to prepare for the best D he’s seen this year. Might be an under spot. No Watkins also means less physical freaks to defend for Jax.

I mean it‘s not like Bortles hasn‘t won on bigger stages? But yea in general it‘s tough to figure out when he feels like being accurate

Just got home from the movies.

I will def post more thoughts tomorrow.

No Fournette makes a difference for sure. Have to think KC will continue to employ the bend but don’t break strategy against a middle of the pack offense that rates below Denver in DVOA. Much better coaching staff in Jax than Denver and a small sample size doesn’t necessarily mean Jax won’t improve as the season goes on.

Well deserved, but the narrative right now is that Mahomes is unstoppable. This is the defense that could stop him. This will be a great test for both sides when the Chiefs have the ball. “Sacksonville” has the same number of sacks through 4 weeks as Kansas City but it’s the speed of their secondary that worries me more.

I’ll be around tomorrow.

I mean it‘s not like Bortles hasn‘t won on bigger stages? But yea in general it‘s tough to figure out when he feels like being accurate

Bortles is 8-24 all time on the road. He won at Pitt in the playoffs. What other stages has he won on? I’m a big Jax backer but I’m very low on Bortles but obv not as close to fully knowing his skill set like VC.

Chiefs D concept is pretty interesting right now (and last year)...they play a lot of 2-4-5 with only 2 down lineman and 2 OLB, 2 MLB and 5 DB. Basically saying we know we'll give up 5 YPC but try not to give up huge passing plays, bend but don't break and we'll outscore you. I don't love it but it's working so far. Main issue is guys not tackling. There's a reason Ron Parker was cut twice in the last 9 months and he's the starting FS. So slow. That toss right that Freeman ran in for a TD was one of the most embarrassing plays I've seen in sometime last night. Can't blame that on the DC.

I mean his performance in two road playoff games was sick. But he also got into a groove end of last season. Hard to know when he‘ll do well lol. Hes just very inconsistent. But after a loss and without Fournette seem to be very good spots for him. Tho the teams that he killed without Fournette were Colts twice Texans Jets last week, was bad vs Titans week before coming after big win vs Pats where he was also solid

Last edited:
chiefs just had their brutal spot game and still came away with the victory. now they come back home and I think they roll. Jax d is great, don't get me wrong, but you have seen them in the past give up big offensive games to teams who can utilize multiple weapons. Think KC rolls

A lot of those high scores were quite misleading. We always suck on the west coast (49ers and Zona last year) We were up 28-7 vs Steelers, it was the nature of that game. Titans got us (as always lately).

At Pitt... 14-26 214 yards 1 TD. That is not a sick playoff performance. And I fully understand the Gus Bradley experience, but there are plenty of guys in this league (Rivers, Stafford, Dalton, Ryan to name a few) who have played for shitty coaches and still not managed to look like a terrible QB.

As a fan, you look at it as “Jax is bad on the west coast”. They beat the Steelers twice on the road. No small feat. They’ve been pretty pedestrian on the road overall against everyone.

What cannot be underestimated is how much Mahomes means to this city. Fans of small to mid market teams can appreciate when you get a special transcendent talent. The stadium is going to be absolutely insane Sunday. Jacksonville’s first few drives will be huge in my opinion

I think both teams will be feeling things out.

I think first play I’m leaning toward in this game is 1st quarter under when it is out.

I’m in the dentists chair running through thoughts.

Sick gauged on a different standard for Bortles lol he just rode Fournette and then threw to open guy on playaction. But against Pats he was solid I think and his numbers without Fournette are surprisingly impressive meaning that he can hold his own when called on to lead the O. Hes never gonna put up Mahomes like numbers but its totally unjust to criticize him for that cause the O isn‘t built to depend on that its run first or without Fournette i guess checkdown first

Bortles also had some mechanical issues that he developed after that season where he balled out for 30+ touchdowns people forget that year

Wish fornette wasn’t hurt, yet again.. I’m sure yeldon will be just fine running on this Swiss cheese d but man the idea of watching fornette bowl over the whole defense as they miss tackle after tackle brings a smile to my face, lol.

Bortles been on the every other week program and he was good last week. Can he finally put together 2 strong efforts in a row??

Tyreke Hill regarding Jalen Ramsey- "“He think high of himself,” Hill said, according to ESPN’s Adam Teicher. “He’s all right, I guess. I can’t wait to line up against him. I hope he presses me."

I love stuff like this. The NFL needs more stuff like this instead of the robot complimentary stuff they always do.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/tyreek...acing-jalen-ramsey-thinks-high-204243493.html

I agree, that is cool. I love Ramsey, I think this makes this matchup even more intriguing. Although I wonder how often Ramsey will be on him? Kelce such a force and jags have used him on Gronk at times in the past havnt they? I think shutting kelce down is more important than not allowing hill to get loose a few times, when kelce involved kc is moving up and down field at will. Not to mention as great as Ramsey is not sure hill the kind of guy anyone can lock down, not your typical big outside wide out. If it me I bracket hill and use Ramsey to take kelce away. One thing I love bout the jags is I think they really smart w creative ways they utilize their incredible defensive players.

Haha the ultimate trash talker being talked trash to for once
Once? Nah...... You must not have heard what all the Titans were trashing talking him during the their game in Jax.
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...n-sends-jalen-ramseys-trash-talk-back-at-him/

There were a few more occasions from other Titans that couldn’t be “quoted” due to it being in game.
This is from a very reliable sideline source.

I like Jalen too. He’s from here and played at FSU.

Last edited:

I have decided on playing KC -3 for the following reasons

- Jax has played next to nobody
- No Fournette. No Hayden
- Not great on the road
- Yeldon has maxed out at under 60 yards every game since opening day last year. I know Leonard has contributed to that but he hasn't taken advantage when he is absent
- Patriots have made a living out of simply outscoring the opposing team despite their defense being near the bottom (31st last year in DVOA for example)
- KC #1 on 3rd down defense. Should see a lot of blitzing on 3rd down. Much like the Pats, I think KC will dare them to beat them with aggressive calls
- For all the bluster, Jax has not gotten to the QB and gotten him down much this year and against a similar pass rush (both in FO rankings and in sacks), the Chiefs OL kept them away from Mahomes
- Arrowhead crowd off of big win and the idolization of Mahomes. Will get to Bortles. Will get false starts/delays

Goes to the wire but at this number I'll take KC... 3.5 would be a different story.

Last edited:
It‘s true that Jags D haven‘t faced tough challenge. I guess don‘t count New England. But you can say the same about Mahomes and we know the Jags D is elite whereas we‘re still finding out about Mahomes.

One thing tho is that it looked on mnf that KC has a nice pass rush. Jags o-line is banged up so maybe some sacks and Bortles will have to pass more without Lenny

When it comes to irresistible force vs immovable objects matchups my money tends to gravitate towards the immovable object. I think Jax has plenty of weapons to put up 27-30 on KC and plenty of talent to hold them to 24 or less. If Mahomes beats me then so be it, but 6 starts into his career I'm going to side with the (much) better defense.

It would be nice if Jax defense could create turnovers for short fields for Bortles, but KC and Mahommes just doesn't turn the ball over.

Back