Canada v U.S.

Greencastle

The Doc
Over 2.5

I'd love to say that Canada's gonna win this match and reach the the Finals, but playing on the road, against a quality team is going to be tough.

In the previous matches Canada looked great, but they were playing in a neutral venue, against pretty weak opposition. This is going to be a completely different beast.

This match is well balanced and could go either way, with the U.S. having a slight advantage. Both teams are more than capable up front and less than rock solid at the back.

So the play here is the over, in what should be a very entertaining contest.

Too bad these sides are meeting in the semis and not the final, because they are the two best teams in this region.

Also, both teams play the game with respect, which is something you can't say about Mexico and some of the Central American teams.

Did ya not see my Gold Cup thread for the Semis?

My leans are: US -1, O2.5 and Mex/Guadalupe U2.5. I don't think Mexico is 2 goals better than Guadalupe, but I do think that the US can win by 2 vs. Canada (or at least push).

Agree on most all counts here, gentlemen...

USA 3, CAN 1...

MEX 1, GDL 0...

Should be fun games. Bout time to start tailgating; I've got the US flag up on the balcony already!

Rexy, I see this being more of a 2-1 type game as both sides are very familiar with each other, with most of the players coming from the MLS.

I think it comes down to Donovan and De Rosario, whichever player has the better match will lead their team to victory.

Hearing a lot of Ticos complain that the last Canadian play was a valid one, and that he was onside...

Having checked the FIFA Rules, what I gathered is what I saw with my own eyes. It was deflected. After that, TWO players were offside...

"A player is in an offside position if he is nearer to his opponents' goal line than both the ball and the second last opponent" - FIFA Rules

That being said, I'd like us to play better against Mexico in the final...

That was a bullshit decision by the linesman. The goal should have stood, but Canada are used to this garbage officiating in CONCACAF.

Canada were not that impressive until the Hume goal and Hutchinson had a TERRIBLE game in the middle of the park.

Still, Canada fought hard and made their small contingent of real fans proud. At least we're heading in the rite direction and the future does look very bright, with a lot of good young players coming up through the system.

good win for you there Greeny, unfortunately the Canadians didn't have luck on their side. But like you said, this is a positive sign for the Canadians, as long as there are signs of improvement there shouldn't be any disappointment making the semi's of this tournament. Now lets hope they can transfer this sort of form to World Cup Qualifying. I think the players are at a great stage of their career, such as De Rosario and its high time that he prove himself on the big stage especially since that 3rd spot in the CONCACAF seems to be completely up for grabs.

Definate GOAL, complete utter garbage, linesman blew that call badly, deflection of defender so easy to see, still can't believe it, pretty tainted victory, but of course with the tourney in the USofA we must have the host in the final.

The linesman looked like a bitch leaving the field.

Stalteri was ready to bust his head.

Craig Forrest was going crazy in the booth, that guys a joker.

good win for you there Greeny, unfortunately the Canadians didn't have luck on their side. But like you said, this is a positive sign for the Canadians, as long as there are signs of improvement there shouldn't be any disappointment making the semi's of this tournament. Now lets hope they can transfer this sort of form to World Cup Qualifying. I think the players are at a great stage of their career, such as De Rosario and its high time that he prove himself on the big stage especially since that 3rd spot in the CONCACAF seems to be completely up for grabs.

Thanks Mike, WC qualification is a very realistic possibility.

Oh yea Greencastle, while venting I forgot Congrats on your win tonight. Cheers Steve

Oh yea Forrest got a bit emotional didn't he, lol, enjoy him and Dobson every saturday morn

Definitely a goal. Canada got boned. But I guess a US-Mexico match is the only match in that tournament that'll draw a decent gate.

Definate GOAL, complete utter garbage, linesman blew that call badly, deflection of defender so easy to see, still can't believe it, pretty tainted victory, but of course with the tourney in the USofA we must have the host in the final.

I totally agree. Its interesting that CONCACAF could appoint a referee of such quality and poor reputation to a major tournament for such an important match, especially given the history that this official has had.

Heres a tidbit from sportsnet:

It's not the first time Canada has been at odds with Archundia or members of his officiating staff. The referee called two late fouls against Canada in a World Cup qualifier with Honduras on Sept. 4, 2004. Archundia awarded Honduras a late penalty kick which led to the game-tying goal. Then a potential go-ahead goal by Canadian forward Olivier Occean was negated by a second foul and the game ended 1-1.
:down:

I totally agree. Its interesting that CONCACAF could appoint a referee of such quality and poor reputation to a major tournament for such an important match, especially given the history that this official has had.

Heres a tidbit from sportsnet:

It's not the first time Canada has been at odds with Archundia or members of his officiating staff. The referee called two late fouls against Canada in a World Cup qualifier with Honduras on Sept. 4, 2004. Archundia awarded Honduras a late penalty kick which led to the game-tying goal. Then a potential go-ahead goal by Canadian forward Olivier Occean was negated by a second foul and the game ended 1-1.
:down:

Yea catfood, with this guys history of notorious bad calls vs Canada I can't beleive he would be assigned to this game. On the upside looks like footie is on the upswing here, should be able to mount a decent run in World Cup qualifying. Cheers Steve

I can't wait to see Dero and give him a good ribbing when he gets back. I was on the phone with Serrioux when the U.S went up 2-0 just to bust his balls a little. He was wishing so bad he would've been in that game. Serrioux had a damn good gold Cup last time out for Canada. He shows us the videos when we get fucked up like Uncle Rico.

Back