Can you say Adrian Peterson please?

HUNT

CTG Partner
Staff member
With possible lisfranc injury, 2007 season could be in doubt for Jones

Tuesday, December 12, 2006 By Tom Kowalski

ALLEN PARK -- With it being an almost certainty that the Detroit Lions will have one of the top three picks in April's NFL draft, the discussion has already started about what position the team should address. Quarterback, pass rusher and offensive lineman are the spots usually mentioned.
Now, unfortunately, the Lions must also consider the possibility that they're going to need a running back.
Kevin Jones, who was having the best overall season of his three-year career, sustained a significant lisfranc fracture in his left foot during last Sunday's game against Minnesota. While the Lions aren't confirming anything publicly, a source close to the situation called it a "full-blown lisfranc injury."
<SCRIPT language=JavaScript1.1 src="http://ads.mlive.com/RealMedia/ads/adstream_jx.ads/www.mlive.com/xml/story/S/SPLN/@StoryAd"></SCRIPT><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=420 border=0><TBODY><TR vAlign=bottom><TD width=383> [FONT=Arial,sans-serif]Advertisement[/FONT]
spacer.gif
</TD><TD width=85></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=420 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=middle width=410 bgColor=#e7efef>
spacer.gif

spacer.gif
</TD><TD width=10></TD></TR><TR><TD width=420 colSpan=2>
spacer.gif
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

<SCRIPT language=JavaScript><!--if (parseFloat(navigator.appVersion) == 0) {document.write('<IFRAME WIDTH=468 HEIGHT=60 MARGINWIDTH=0 MARGINHEIGHT=0 HSPACE=0 VSPACE=0 FRAMEBORDER=0 SCROLLING=no BORDERCOLOR="#000000" SRC="http://ads.mlive.com/RealMedia/ads/adstream_sx.ads/www.mlive.com/xml/story/S/SPLN/@StoryAd"></IFRAME>');}--></SCRIPT><NOSCRIPT></NOSCRIPT>The injury could be potentially devastating because complete recovery can take anywhere from six months to a couple of years. Other players, including Philadelphia Eagles running back Brian Westbrook and Lions tight end Dan Campbell, have had the injury and missed playing time. But, they also made a complete recovery.
The injury is also similar to what Lions linebacker Teddy Lehman went through last season when it took him a full year to return to the field.
When asked if a lisfranc fracture would be the worst-case scenario for Jones, Lions head coach Rod Marinelli said, "I think it would be."
Jones has rushed for 689 yards this season, but has also caught a career-high 61 passes for 520 yards and has scored eight total touchdowns, twice as many as any other Lionr.
"He's a tremendous player and you hate to lose a guy like Kevin," Marinelli said. "He's a workhorse for us and what he's done for us in terms of catching the ball and all of those things, it's been exceptional. We've got to see how it works out with him and then, obviously, plans do alter (things)."
The problem isn't that the Lions don't think Jones can fully recover from his injury and be a factor next season but they can't afford to count on it. Lisfranc injuries are often referred to as fractures and/or dislocations because there's an area in the mid foot that has a row of small bones that are held in place by ligaments. If the ligament is ruptured, the bones can be moved out of place and the foot no longer has any stability.
"It's not like a knee that's holding just two bones -- you're holding a whole series of bones together with a ligament, that's what makes it so critical," said Lehman, who sustained his injury in October of last year and didn't return to action until early November this season.
"It's frustrating," Lehman said. "It was almost a complete year before I was back playing football. You want to get out and perform and you can't."
Lehman, though, is hoping Jones will have a far quicker recovery time because their cases differ in one important aspect. While Jones was quickly diagnosed and put in a boot, Lehman's injury wasn't full diagnosed at the time and "I walked around on it for a couple of weeks," Lehman said. "Hopefully, Kevin's recovery time will be a lot quicker than mine."
Jones is expected to undergo surgery in the next three to five days and then it just becomes a guessing game about when he might return.
"I thought in March I was going to be back for (training) camp and be fine," said Lehman, who underwent his surgery in late November last year. "Then camp came around and it still wasn't fine. Camp was done and it still wasn't right."
Lehman appeared to get close to 100 percent several times, but had difficulty getting over that last hurdle.
"It's one thing to go out there and run around and run straight, that's fine," Lehman said. "Even going through drills, it's muscle memory and your body knows what's going to happen. But when you go out there and start reacting on it, it's more violent and it's a big difference.
"Once you start using it, it comes back better. There's still some pain in it and it's something I'm sure will probably be there for a lifetime. When you get up in the morning, it's going to hurt. You're going to have to warm it up every day, like in a whirlpool, to get it ready. It's tough."

My thread title was probably inappropriate, but the Detroit Lions franchise is a fucking joke, all the way around and I am upet becasue Jones is one of the few that gives a damn on this team, now we need a rb, and a qb...Kitna is 34 fucking years old..we have nno oline..Ford needs to die ASAP, but won't matter becasue ford jr. is running shit now anyways and he is as dumb as his dad.

if u're lucky maybe troy falls to u in 2nd and u get both...

They have so many holes I don't know where they start man...

maybe the Lions should get rid of Millen before he does anymore damage. I feel sorry for teams who just have piss poor management..

It's not out of the question for Detroit to draft an Oklahoma RB. Steve Owens, Billy Sims and now Adrian Peterson. He wasn't from OU, but Barry Sanders is another guy that came from the Oklahoma way. My wife is a huge Sooner fan.

throwback, can't see any way in the world Oak would draft Peterson, they already have L. Jordon who is a very good rb. They need help everywhere else, esp. O line and QB.

Lamont Jordan is a very good running back? Wow.. what makes you say that? If he is a VERY GOOD rb.. then there is like 25 other very good runningbacks at least in the nfl.. Have you seen his last 6 games?? Im sorry but there are backup rbs such as norwood, maroney and a few others like the kid in sd that id rather have over lamont jordan

abcs said:
Lamont Jordan is a very good running back? Wow.. what makes you say that? If he is a VERY GOOD rb.. then there is like 25 other very good runningbacks at least in the nfl.. Have you seen his last 6 games?? Im sorry but there are backup rbs such as norwood, maroney and a few others like the kid in sd that id rather have over lamont jordan

He has been hurt for the last few weeks, and prior to that the pathetic off. line they had were giving up 7 - 10 sacks per game. They all but abandoned the run early in most games. Look at last yrs stats on Jordon, over 1K yds rushing and he caught 80+ balls out of the backfield. Sure, he is having a bad year, but he is still a very good back. You could put B Sanders in that backfield and he would be sucking right now too.

Jordon 2005 stats

272 / 1025 yds rushing with 9 tds, 70 catches for 563 yds with 2 tds.

In 8 games he started, he avg. 14 touches a game. You aren't going to put up any kind of number when you touch the ball 14 times a game. Especially when you offense has scored 12 pts per game and has given up 21 pts a game. 12 pts a game makes their offense the 2nd worst offense in the league only trailing Tampa bay by 4/10 ths of a pt.

So he had 1 year of 1000 yards.. but what about the rest of his career? Im sorry but 1000 yards to me isnt impressive.. especially when you play 16 games. And to say he is a VERY GOOD back is exagerating a bit in my opinion.
Backs that are better .. just off the top of my head
LT
Rudi
Sean Alexander
Portis
Mcgahee
Warrick Dunn
Tiki
Gore
Larry Johnson
Duece
Willie Parker
Stephen Jackson
Edgerrin James
Thomas Jones

Backs that i would rather have over him..
Cadillac
Ronnie Brown
Westbrook
Maroney
Dillon
Julius Jones
Fred Taylor
Tatum Bell

Im sorry but as far as starting backs go.. id put him on the bottom 5 in the league ( and thats being kind).. still think the backs at tenny are better and just as good..

I don't even think that 1k rushing yds is a good barometer anymore...it's like 70 yds/game...

Lamont Jordan would be better served as a third down back or something IMO...Fargas has been as productive behind that pathetic OLine as him..

But the Raiders have too many problems to take another RB...

They need OLINE help in the worse way...obviously need a QB, but won't matter until they get Oline..

Gallery was a disaster and really set them back and that wasn't their fault...everyone thought he was a can't miss...

madshooter said:
throwback, can't see any way in the world Oak would draft Peterson, they already have L. Jordon who is a very good rb. They need help everywhere else, esp. O line and QB.

R U KIDDING ?

LEMONT is GARBAGE :smiley_acbe:

JumpOnBoard said:
I don't even think that 1k rushing yds is a good barometer anymore...it's like 70 yds/game...

Lamont Jordan would be better served as a third down back or something IMO...Fargas has been as productive behind that pathetic OLine as him..

But the Raiders have too many problems to take another RB...

They need OLINE help in the worse way...obviously need a QB, but won't matter until they get Oline..

Gallery was a disaster and really set them back and that wasn't their fault...everyone thought he was a can't miss...

Raiders will not take Joe Thomas :shake:

They are gona go Skill position QB , RB , WR :cheers:

with the way you present it with jordan, I guess edge sucks now since he is avg. like 2.8 yds a carry. You are missing the whole point, the raiders offense line is probably the worst in football right now, they have no qb, no te, moss isn't the same and sure isn't happy. They benched Porter. This team needs help in many more places than running back.

All im saying is he is not a great rb.. hes barely descent.. 1000 yards is nothing, especially doin it only once

madshooter said:
with the way you present it with jordan, I guess edge sucks now since he is avg. like 2.8 yds a carry. You are missing the whole point, the raiders offense line is probably the worst in football right now, they have no qb, no te, moss isn't the same and sure isn't happy. They benched Porter. This team needs help in many more places than running back.

Edge might have one down year.. but the other 7 years hes proven it.. Lamont on the other hand hasnt :shake:

true, but last yr was jordans first yr starting. He put up very nice numbers last yr, look at the catches and rec. yards. I believe he had the 2nd or 3rd most catches for a back last yr. I don't think anybody would have had a good year in oaklands backfield this year, even LT.

Back