Calvin Johnson

Is he officially? All I've seen is that he told Caldwell he planned on 2015 being his last year, which is basically not much more than we knew over thepast few weeks

He's done Monk. Good luck to him in the future. A shame his career was wasted by this pathetic franchise.

Going out on top, less likely to commit harm to himself or others.

The Lions are a model franchise

Maybe it's my imagination, but it never seemed like there were too many YAC with Johnson. It would always be throw it in the vicinity, and expect him to go up and get it, and more often than not he did. Only problem being he'd take major hits on the way down. Has to take its toll on the body after 8-9 years...

Is he officially? All I've seen is that he told Caldwell he planned on 2015 being his last year, which is basically not much more than we knew over thepast few weeks

He decided before year and told family/inner circle/Staff/Tulloch and asked everyone to be quiet. They all were. Pretty impressive tbh. The organization was caught off guard.

It sucks but it is what it is.

Love to see him take a year off and come back for one last hurrah. He still had 88/1200+ in a year he seemed to do nothing other than Turkey day and his swan song.

Good for him, he's made a tough decision, but he made the right one IMO.

Detroit paid him enough to keep him there, so cant fault him or the organization. He's 30, can invest, do tons of things now with the money he has made, barely even getting his life started in the working world and he has a big amount of money to start with.

Great player to watch, no doubt and its good he told the Lions well in advance and now finalizing it pretty much. Det can hit the FA's and drafts now.

One thing about Calvin Johnson that still boggles my mind, how the hell did GT convince him to play for them??? Triple option, qb's who cant throw, might see the ball thrown at him 4 times.

People are going to question his love for the game blah blah blah.

Playing the sport is his job. He can live his life how he wants and he isn't the only NFL player leaving years on the table. The risk isn't worth the reward for some guys.

In the grand scheme of things, the NFL is probably worried about this recent trend of players retiring earlier and earlier. Losing star employees isn't good for business.

Luckily for them most athletes spend most of their earnings fairly quickly so they don't have the luxury of ending their careers early.

View attachment 40388

Somewhat related.... I was listening to The Herd last week and Colin was talking about how the NFL, unlike other leagues, doesn't care about its history as much. The NFL looks to tomorrow and forgets about looking back. In some ways that's good and others it's not.

One thing about Calvin Johnson that still boggles my mind, how the hell did GT convince him to play for them??? Triple option, qb's who cant throw, might see the ball thrown at him 4 times.

D Thomas as well, one of the great mysteries in all of CFB

GT wasn't running the triple option when they recruited him. They were pro-style under the best interviewer ever Chan Gailey

Well before triple option at GT....

Reggie Ball Baby!!

ballreggiehelmetsit.jpg

Lions franchise sucks but its not about the franchise as he is actually helping them tremendously.

He is an intelligent guy who is beat up and perhaps just sick of playing football.

The Lions would have had no problem cutting him if he requested thus saving them $11 mill against the cap. This is even better.

Big time WRs are great, but paying one like this and winning don't seem to go hand in hand.

Recent super bowl champs Baltimore, Seattle, New England and this years SB champ Carolina........best WR of the bunch is Edelman, system and Brady made.

Spend your money on o-line and defense now Lions, dont go overdrafting another WR or spend wildly on one in FA.

Lions franchise sucks but its not about the franchise as he is actually helping them tremendously.

He is an intelligent guy who is beat up and perhaps just sick of playing football.

The Lions would have had no problem cutting him if he requested thus saving them $11 mill against the cap. This is even better.

Big time WRs are great, but paying one like this and winning don't seem to go hand in hand.

Recent super bowl champs Baltimore, Seattle, New England and this years SB champ Carolina........best WR of the bunch is Edelman, system and Brady made.

Spend your money on o-line and defense now Lions, dont go overdrafting another WR or spend wildly on one in FA.

Saints were same way on WR

Back