Cal @ Tennessee

dclark

Pretty much a regular
Would like input on this game!!!!!

Last year Tennessee was the most over-rated team in the nation. Fat Phil was on the hot seat with the Vol Nation. This years team will be alot more physical and unpredicable on offense. This game will be their statement game with #9 Cal comming into Knoxville. The guys that know me, knows last year I told it like it was when it game to the Vols. I think that Arian Foster is the real deal at running back and that will take alot of pressure off of Ainge. David Cutcliff was brought back for a reason, his offense will not be predicable as last years was, he will open the play book up. Ainge will look alot better and the receiving corp will do a better job of holding on to catches they should have caught last year that really cost them. Last year's defensive line was great, I do not look for any let down this year and their secondary is probally one of the nations best. I really like Tennessee -2 in this game at home in front of 100,000 + fans and also without Cals stating QB. Tennessee is 10-3 SU against PAC 10 teams all time.

Take the Vols -2 all the way to the bank!!!!!!!

money;

I will be rooting for your boys here DCLARK.
In fact, I hope they win them all until Halloween freaks them out.
Glad to see you here bro.....very glad......lets make so money

May the clash of November 4th have BCS Title Implications!

dclark, I bumped SHSUHorn's Saturday thread because he has a write-up and selection on this game. Hopefully you can find some info there you will appreciate.
beerchug.gif

dc......

I'm not sold on these boys coming out and kicking butt just yet...Got a new OC and all a sudden they are going to unleash on people....Will look into this one alittle more......

BOL on your pick:cheers:

Fade,

Give me some love on this game. I still believe this will make TN's season on how well they will play this game. Remember Cal's starting QB is sitting this one out. I know they still have Lynch, but last year DL was not the problem TN had. They will contain Lynch and put pressure on a unproven QB and TN secondary will make him make mistakes. TN's offense will be OK with Cutcliff calling the plays. They also have a strong running game with Foster.

:drink:

Sorry clark.....can't get no "LOVE" for Tenn from a Bama guy:spank:
Just jiving, bro.......I'll have my pick later.......

Remember Cal's starting QB is sitting this one out.

Which starting qb are you talking about? Longshore & Ayoob are both available.

Mugg said:

I got Levy (a former FB and obvious barroom hero) as 3rd string.

Nice write-up abcs. But two points to contend. Whoever starts for Cal @ qb can't be considered any shakier than Eric Ainge. And, if you look back over the L3 years, pac10 teams (other than USC) have faired OK on trips back east. But that is somewhat of an ambiguous point as everything is east of the pac10.

Trust me, I'm not backing either team here (yet) & I won't blindly back Cal just because I'm a pac10 homer. Hell, this may be a game I just watch & enjoy with no wager riding..............should be a good one.

If I had to toss my hat into the ring, i'd roll rocky top every time. don't those Bears know they get corn from a jar!@!

12th man will rattle these laid back dudes and maybe, just maybe UT can hold on for a thriller at the end.

Mugg said:

CAL NOTEBOOK
QB picture still a bit fuzzy
Tedford: Nobody has really separated themselves

Rusty Simmons, Chronicle Staff Writer
Friday, August 25, 2006

blackdot5x7.gif
Baseball (AL/NL)
blackdot5x7.gif
NFL
blackdot5x7.gif
College Football
blackdot5x7.gif
Tennis
blackdot5x7.gif
Golf
blackdot5x7.gif
NHL
blackdot5x7.gif
NBA
blackdot5x7.gif
WNBA
blackdot5x7.gif
College Hoops (M)
blackdot5x7.gif
College Hoops (W)
blackdot5x7.gif
Soccer (M)
blackdot5x7.gif
Auto Racing
blackdot5x7.gif
Boxing
blackdot5x7.gif
Horse Racing

The quarterback situation at Cal finally appeared a little clearer Thursday ... at least, for a moment.
Sophomore Nate Longshore, who is No. 1 on the depth chart, missed his third consecutive day and is day-to-day with what coach Jeff Tedford called a "little twinge in his back" and later termed an "inflamed nerve," and senior Steve Levy is suspended for the Sept. 2 season-opener against Tennessee.
So the three-man competition is down to senior Joe Ayoob. He has to start, right?
"Not necessarily, we'll see how Nate comes back," Tedford said. "We were just doing some substitutions and stuff like that, so we let (Longshore) take some pressure off his back. ... If he can't practice, then he can't play."
The moments of clarity come and go so quickly.
"They're all very close," Tedford said. "Nobody has really separated themselves. They've all been productive, so game time will really tell."
Tedford is not indicating which way he's leaning.
"We would like to be a one-quarterback team, but it's not too far-fetched to say both quarterbacks will play in the first game," he said. "It's very likely that they both may (play), but we're not going to back ourselves into a hole and make some statement that this is what's going to happen."
Junior receiver Robert Jordan is as confused as the rest of us.
"I don't really know what's going to happen, but I'm confident that any or all of them can lead this team," he said. "The one thing I know for sure is I feel more confident about the quarterback situation going into this year than I did at this time last year. We're definitely taking steps forward."
One out: Redshirt freshman defensive back Virdell Larkins has transferred to Laney College, Tedford confirmed Thursday.
Although Larkins was in the 2003 recruiting class with his cousins Marshawn Lynch and Jordan, he didn't enroll until the spring of 2004. He redshirted last season, and he wasn't expecting much playing time this season.
"We talked about it before he made the decision, and we want what's best for him," Jordan said. "He couldn't go three years without playing ball. It wasn't disrespectful to the program. He just loves football and competing."
Larkins was highly touted out of Oakland Tech, being named the nation's No. 11 cornerback prospect by Rivals and No. 16 among defensive backs by SuperPrep. Jordan said he, Lynch and Larkins came to Cal as a "package deal," and the threesome were basically inseparable.
"It will be tough for a while, but we're not 17 or 18 any more," Jordan said. "We're all starting to go our own ways."
One in: Larkins' departure freed up a roster spot, so freshman receiver Daniel Lofton reported to camp. The 6-foot-2, 190-pounder was recovering from a broken foot at the beginning of camp, Tedford said.
Lofton is the son of Hall-of-Fame receiver James Lofton, and his brother, David, is a defensive back at Stanford. Tedford said Lofton is expected to redshirt this season. Briefly: Senior cornerback Daymeion Hughes will participate in a live, online chat at noon today on ESPN.com. Questions may be submitted in advance. ... Fan Appreciation Day is from 10:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m. Saturday at Memorial Stadium. Fans may interact with players and coaches, participate in drills and buy merchandise.

Back