Cal/MD discussion

scdoggy

Moderator (Honorary)
I know I've harassed Tim for his take and spouted off on this game in a few other threads, but figured there's enough interest to create a seperate thread. I'm still leaning very hard on MD, and have a question about the travel for this game.

Does anyone know when the Cal kids will get on their plane, when it gets in, etc?

I don't think the noon start for this game can be overstated enough. It will feel like 9 am, and I'm wondering what the Cal kids will have been through over the previous 24 hours. A long bumpy flight, rainy weather, possible delays, etc.

Also the weather in DC is calling for rain Friday, Sat, Sunday - so much of the Cal speed adantage may be neutralized. Weather like this really favors the dog, and in this matchup there are a lot of "x"factors on Maryland's side.

I wouldn't be all that surprised to see MD hang around in this one and may throw a little on the ML.....

Still looking, but someone get back to me if you actually know when the Bears will be leaving Berkeley.

First thing I found...

Tedford has had the players getting up all week at 4:30 am to kind of help with time change.

Okay, found this on a Cal blog.

Tedford is flying the team out on Friday. It also states he thinks their would be too much idle time if they flew out today.

Damn BAR - that is full of good info and validates a lot of the points I am considering that make the Terps a great play at anything above 14. This really does have "let down" written all over it.

I actually added that guy's page to my favorites to use as future reserch material on Cal's games. Very informative, and thought out.

Great post!

Damn BAR - that is full of good info and validates a lot of the points I am considering that make the Terps a great play at anything above 14. This really does have "let down" written all over it.

I actually added that guy's page to my favorites to use as future reserch material on Cal's games. Very informative, and thought out.

Great post!

Thanks doggy.

I like that guys blog as well. I'll try and contact him to see if he wants to be on our "Friends" page we have as a link. I like the non-homerism report. Jut a random find of a thread at their free scout site.

Definitely agree. Its a pretty unbiased report on the state of affairs there. Little shit like the construction being a possible distraction - the type of stuff you could never get from anyone but a local.

Its always nice to find guys with really good local info that aren't total homers. Its not easy, that's for sure.....

I think you're really onto something as well, doggy. Cal has never travelled well outside of the West Coast and the Twerps are not nearly as bad as people think. Remember, UVa went down to MTSU last year with a stacked team and need a last second FG to pull out a win. Must be a weird place to play if you're not used to it and they have a tricky offense.

I'll be on them as well, not ML, but I'll take my chances with 14.5. Cal might go in and crush them, but the fact of teh matter is, this line would have been Cal -5 if you were setting it two weeks ago. Is there really cause for it to be a full TD higher now? I personally don't think so, but we shall see.

but the fact of teh matter is, this line would have been Cal -5 if you were setting it two weeks ago

Exactly

MTSU game doesn't worry me as much as the near loss to Deleware in week one. But like you said, Cal has never been a team that lives up to the hype. They seem to crumble rather than thrive in the national spotlight.

A few injuries on the defensive side Saftey & Nose Tackle do make me a bit nervous on the MD side of the ball. They're going to have to stop the run on Saturday.

Shop around Galt - I'm seeing 15.5's out there. It would be nice to cover the 15 on this line.:shake:

The way these two have played this year it seems they almost wouldn't be able to get the line high enough. And sure enough the "public" is all over it. No thanks to either side!

DIsagree Goode. Exactly what has Cal proven - they barely covered a seesaw battle against Mich St at home, and blew out a second rate Wazzu squad on the road.

Sorry, but that doesn't justify them being more than a two TD fave after flying cross country to play a talented MD team that just hasn't lived up to expectations yet....

Valuable link, B.A.R. Thanks. Lots of good points by a number of posters. I'm sold. Now the question is, play now or wait? It's 15 everywhere I look.

Good discussion guys. Some reason this game has my juices flowing for discussion right now.

Cal scored 10 times in the Wazzou game. One was a defensive score. Other than that their was 8 TD's and one FG.

Lets look at some of these "long" and "sustained" drives(sense the sarcasm).

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR class=ysprow1><TD class=c>15:00 </TD><TD class=c>0:11 </TD><TD class=c>Cal 20</TD><TD class=c>1</TD><TD class=c>80</TD><TD class=c>TD</TD></TR><TR class=ysprow2><TD class=c>14:08 </TD><TD class=c>0:39 </TD><TD class=c>WASt 12</TD><TD class=c>2</TD><TD class=c>12</TD><TD class=c>TD</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR class=ysprow2><TD class=c>6:43 </TD><TD class=c>1:18 </TD><TD class=c>Cal 44</TD><TD class=c>3</TD><TD class=c>56</TD><TD class=c>TD
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR class=ysprow2><TD class=c>3:02 </TD><TD class=c>0:05 </TD><TD class=c>WASt 5</TD><TD class=c>1</TD><TD class=c>5</TD><TD class=c>TD</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR class=ysprow1><TD class=c>11:37 </TD><TD class=c>0:59 </TD><TD class=c>Cal 11</TD><TD class=c>2</TD><TD class=c>89</TD><TD class=c>TD</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR class=ysprow1><TD class=c>0:54 </TD><TD class=c>4:22 </TD><TD class=c>WASt 40</TD><TD class=c>9</TD><TD class=c>40</TD><TD class=c>TD
</TD></TR><TR class=ysprow1><TD colSpan=6> <TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR class=ysprow2><TD class=c>8:02 </TD><TD class=c>1:48 </TD><TD class=c>WASt 27</TD><TD class=c>5</TD><TD class=c>27</TD><TD class=c>TD

To the right is number of plays and yards

23 plays for 49 of the 66 points.

The other drives were 7 and 11 plays.

In the drives that ended with no points...

they had Five 3 and outs...a Four and Out and a Fumble on the first play..

In summation, they made big plays but basically we are seeing how inept Wazzou is.

VERY interesting read, BAR. Definitely makes me reconsider a bit, but the play is already in.

I totally understand man.

LVSC puts a 10 on this game then it comes out at what..11.5 I think and of course gets hammered. If I was around on Sunday night I most likely would have gotten down on that opening number.

Going thru things a bit more is making things interesting though at this point. If it doesn't help this week it helps down the road.

I think a 15 on this game is the same as a 16.... Unless this game gets to 17 (I doubt) there's no reason to wait.

Although my book offers -105 juice on Friday's so I'm waiting.... :)

This afternoon around 2:00, one of my outs suddenly dropped the number to 14. Came back to 14.5 later, but that was very strange. Really spooked me, but the number wasn't moving anywhere else. I'm going to take the 15 and sit tight.

Anyway, good thread, scdoggy. Good idea to begin with, and you elicited some good info confirming your perspective. Well done, gentlemen.

if it is raining saturday I'll prob throw another unit at Maryland and get a better number in the process....I should have waited

My place his this down to a 14.5. I just threw three units at it.

This will be a ten unit play for me Sat. I'm done looking.

Good discussion guys. go Terps.

Back