BYU Preview vs Portland State

VirginiaCavs

CTG Super Moderator
Staff member
I had to cap this game vs Portland State...kind of hard without a spread and without being able to research squat on PSU, probably because their team consists of a bunch of low-level FCS scrubs... so this is more like a BYU Preview with this coming Saturday in mind. Hope you enjoy the read.

New-Look BYU Will Pound Portland State in 'Week Zero' Affair

BYU lost a lot of players on both offense and defense in the offseason. They get an opportunity to develop team chemistry against an FCS school in Portland State.

BYU and Portland square off this coming Saturday in what will be a 'Week Zero" game because it takes place in August, before the majority of College Football teams begin their season. BYU lost a lot of talent from last season and is not only looking to rediscover its quality from last year, but is also probably forced to rediscover its identity. Playing Portland State gives them the opportunity to resolve issues facing their new team before they have to play LSU in Week 1. Portland State is an FCS team, meaning that it is still a division-I school that can offer full-time scholarships, but in terms of culture, size of its athletic department and other sports-related factors, belongs to the lower tier of Division-I, along with the likes of Sam Houston State and other schools that people possibly have never heard of.

BYU will miss its all-time leading rusher in running back Jamaal Williams and its number 5 all-time rusher in quarterback Taysom Hill. BYU thrived as a rush-first team thanks to this duo. Williams was a workhorse who ran the ball 25 times or more in all but one of BYU's wins last season. The current Green Bay Packer complemented Hill, who leads BYU quarterbacks in career rushing yards.

BYU will look to Tanner Mangum, a quarterback who hasn't played much but has a very live arm, to lead a new-look offense that will likely be passing more without a running back with the ability of Williams. Squally Canada and KJ Hall will bring athleticism and speed to the fore, but this duo, along with bruising running back Ula Tolutau, are unproven, both in terms of durability and of performing against top-quality opponents.

BYU's passing game should thrive especially thanks to having a quarterback in Mangum who is proficient in passing. Jonah Trinnaman will be his favorite target. He is a deep threat who runs a 4.32 40-yard dash. Expect a lot of deep passes against a Portland State squad that will struggle against BYU's experienced and high-quality offensive line to apply pressure on Mangum.

BYU will still experience other changes on the defensive side. They lose Kai Nacua, who led the secondary with 6 interceptions, at least twice as many as any other player on the team. But otherwise, they return significant talent and possess a lot of depth in the secondary. The aspect where they lost a lot was on the defensive line.

Whereas last season teams passed on BYU more than they ran on them and BYU also struggled in terms of allowing passing yards but was solid against the run, this season will see the reverse. BYU's two most highly-regarded defensive linemen in 2017, Langi Tuifua and Sione Takitaki, are proven pass rushers, but provide question marks against the run. Also, unexpected circumstances constrain BYU to replace an experienced and talented linebacker with a safety. Against Portland State, BYU will have to figure out who will be able to stop LSU's lethal rush attack. If BYU struggles at all against Portland State's FCS-level rush "attack," then bettors should get ready to start making appropriate bets (team total or otherwise) on rush-heavy teams like LSU.

Portland State, being an FCS team, doesn't have anything with which to counter BYU's strengths or take advantage of their weaknesses. This is a team that, last year, faced one FBS team, Washington, and lost to the Huskies 41-3. They only managed 10 points against Weber State, in a 14-10 loss. Portland State does return a lot of its starters from last season. Even though they do have the "advantage" of having some more experience from last season than BYU does, they were still only picked 9th in the Big Sky Conference Preseason Poll, out of 13 teams.

Portland State will be outmatched and overwhelmed. Despite the disparity in talent, BYU will have the motivation of tuning up in preparation for facing LSU on September 2nd. They have questions to answer especially in the running back and defensive line positions. They took an unexpected hit in linebacker when Francis Bernard was forced to redshirt due to reasons that even he and his family don't seem to understand. They lost two legends on offense and will have to reforge their identity as a passing-team, depending on how BYU's wide receivers fare now that they have a quarterback with a live arm and depending on which running backs step up in Williams' absence. The Cougars will want to resolve these questions before facing LSU.

There is no line for what will be a blowout between two teams on different planets.

Final Score Prediction: 47-9

Oh wow, did not know that,:tiphat: thanks. :cheers3:The odds page I was using had odds listed for every game but this one and google searches said no line. Im kinda surprised the spread is this low (as indicated by my score prediction). Makes me wanna lean Portland State, but still 'under.':boxing:

This is a classic example of a lookahead game. Limited playbook, starters will chill out second have. My thinking: PSU ats the play.

Locking in Portland State +33
Deep breath....
Training session for BYU nothing more. Easy 4 touchdown win

I just feel like BYU -33 looks too easy, is what I meant when I said that the spread seems rather low. I feel like people are going to forget exactly how much BYU misses from last year and will just assume that they destroy these scrubs 60-0 (which they surely could do, if they had the motivation).

They took an unexpected hit in linebacker when Francis Bernard was forced to redshirt due to reasons that even he and his family don't seem to understand.

Bernard wants to transfer to Utah!!! Not sure if BYU will let him.

Related, Portland St preview, a 5-11 185 lb true frosh QB beat out a senior who was last year's back-up.

BYU to face 'Barny Ball,' freshman quarterback in season opener against FCS Portland State
By Jeff Call @ajeffreycall
Published: Aug. 24, 2017 7:05 p.m. Updated: 5 hours ago

Jaren Wilkey, BYU
BYU football fall camp

Their quarterback is pretty mobile. He's a young guy. He's smaller but he's very mobile. That's going to be one of our things — containing him —Corbin Kaufusi on Jalani Eason, Portland's QB
Portland State (0-0) at BYU (0-0)

Saturday, 1 p.m. MDT LaVell Edwards Stadium TV: ESPN

Radio: 1160 AM, 102.7 FM

PROVO — For the past two seasons, a former BYU quarterback was at the controls of Portland State’s offense.

Alex Kuresa returns to LaVell Edwards Stadium Saturday (1 p.m., MDT, ESPN) when the Vikings visit the Cougars in one of the first college football games of the 2017 season.

But he won’t be playing.

Kuresa, who graduated last year and is a former Mountain Crest High star, was invited by PSU coach Bruce Barnum to serve as an honorary captain and participate in the pregame coin toss.

Kuresa spent the 2011 season as BYU’s scout team quarterback and caught four passes as a wide receiver in 2012 before transferring to Snow College. Eventually, he found a home at Portland State as a QB.

As for the quarterback that will start for the Vikings, it’s Kuresa’s successor — true freshman Jalani Eason, a 5-foot-11, 185-pounder from Junipero Serra High in California.

“I didn't think he was going to play this year. I thought (senior Josh) Kraght was going to be the guy, but he got beat out. Jalani showed he can do it,” coach Bruce Barnum told the Portland Tribune. "In the end, Jalani showed the poise and the play-making ability with his feet and his arm. He can run. He's got breakaway speed. That's why people wanted him out of high school. We were his eighth or ninth offer. The read-zone offense is a totally different deal with him out there."

Barnum brings a Big Sky program to Provo that will display a style of play dubbed “Barny Ball.”

"'Barny Ball' is blue-collar, fundamental and tough," Kuresa once said. "It's an attitude."

When asked about “Barny Ball” this week, BYU defensive end Corbin Kaufusi was caught off-guard, having never heard of the term.

“I just think of the big purple dinosaur, man,” Kaufusi said.

But Kaufusi understands the game plan against Portland State.

“Their quarterback is pretty mobile,” he said. “He’s a young guy. He’s smaller but he’s very mobile. That’s going to be one of our things — containing him.”

Barnum’s offense features elements of the spread option and the pistol offense.

What does defensive coordinator Ilaisa Tuiaki expect to see from the Vikings?

“It’s hard because they have a young quarterback that can run. I think offensively, they want to protect a young quarterback,” he said. “You don’t want to do too many five-steps. Sprint outs and run the heck out of the ball is the way to protect a young quarterback. That’s what we’re expecting. We’ll have to adjust accordingly as we see how the game’s going.”

During practice this week, speedy players like Austin Kafentzis and Morgan Unga played the role of Eason on the scout team.

“We’ve got some guys that give us a good look that way,” Tuiaki said.

“They run a lot of downhill runs. They’re not trying to stretch it out too far,” Kaufusi said of PSU. “They’re trying to get straight through the gap as fast as they can and come downhill with speed. That’s going to be a big thing with us, to make sure the middle is taken care of and make them bounce it outside.”

BYU coaches and players have been saying for months they aren’t overlooking the Vikings, who posted a 3-8 record in 2016.

They are well aware that in 2015, Portland State and Kuresa opened the season by knocking off Washington State, 24-17, in Pullman, Washington. It was Barnum’s first game as head coach of the program and the Vikings’ first victory over a Pac-12 foe.

Portland State entered the game as 32-point underdogs. The Vikings left Pullman with an historic victory and a $525,000 payday.

“They know how to be ready right away,” said BYU coach Kalani Sitake. “We know that.”

The Cougars don’t want to the victim of a major upset in the season’s opening weekend.

What are Barnum’s expectations of his team heading into Saturday’s matchup?

"I want to see a fast football team that runs smooth. I want to see that the machine is working right,” he said. “We might get beat on some plays — we're going up against a bigger, faster program — but if we do it just gives me a chance to see how we respond to some adversity."

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/...season-opener-against-FCS-Portland-State.html

Easy work

You seem to know BYU well...

Did they hold back and stay vanilla, or are they gonna get Mouse stomped by LSU?

The game was on in the background where I was so I only saw the score here and there....

I'd love insight if you watched it......great write up by the way

Back