BYU playing Coastal Carolina this week

Spot on. Can't wait to watch.

Let's just say I'm not real sold on Coastal having watched them twice. Biggest issue for BYU is the quick prep and travel. This is a big mismatch on the field.

Provo newspaper on the game:

After weeks of waiting and hoping, BYU football fans got some good news Thursday morning. Their Cougars will get another shot at a ranked opponent on Saturday — and it will happen at the same location of ESPN's College GameDay. Undefeated No. 13 BYU (9-0) will face undefeated No., 18 Coastal Carolina (9-0) at Brooks Stadium in Conway, South Carolina on Saturday (3:30 p.m. MT, ESPNU).

"We’re grateful that this game between our two teams could be put together in such a timely fashion." BYU Director of Athletics Tom Holmoe said in a statement. "It's good to have a partner like ESPN that can help put together such a meaningful game at this point of the season.”

According to ESPN's Chris Low, the originally scheduled opponent for the Chanticleers, Liberty, had several players and staff members test positive or be quarantined this week. The Flames (9-1) had all team-related activities halted after Wednesday's test results came back on Thursday morning, Low said.

The Cougars, who didn't have another scheduled game until Dec. 12 against San Diego State in Provo, had been actively trying find games to fill open dates both this weekend and Dec. 19 in order to bolster a schedule that had been dismissed as being too easy.

BYU head coach Kalani Sitake has repeatedly said that his team would play anyone who was willing to play and that he looked forward to seeing his team take on any challenge.

The Cougars had been in talks with Washington before Thanksgiving but nothing was able to be worked out and the Huskies ended up playing Utah in a Pac-12 matchup.

BYU did play one other team that was ranked, defeating then No. 21-ranked Boise State, 51-17, on Nov. 6.

A consensus of college football observers have repeatedly stated that the Cougars have not been ranked correctly by the College Football Playoff Selection Committee, which only has BYU ranked at No. 13.

BYU is gonna roll coastal, terrible matchup for coastal! They win by bullying the other teams in conf, they not gonna out physical byu!!! The only bummer was liberty was gonna beat them as 7 point dogs now we gotta lay 10! Same result tho!

This also shows what a bunch of self-serving, lying, dip shits the suits who run the college football playoff are.

When they allowed only two teams in everyone in the country wanted more teams and it was always the same answer, why, there is no way we can change this. I mean all the agreements and contracts and stadiums have acts booked for years, blah, blah, blah.

The instant they decided to change they did it with no problem;

When fans all the country and the media and lots of coaches said, hey, this is the perfect year to extend the playoffs to 8 teams, everything is in flux anyway, schedules are changing every day, no one can predict what will occur from week to week, some teams play, some sit out for a month, this is the perfect time to experiment and see how an 8- team playoff works.

Well, we all heard all the excuses i listed above, plus the biggest bullshit excuse of all--oh, this is the worst possible year, we can't possibly change how we do things because we are so busy dealing with this tragic blah blah, blah

Remember, the same suits who got up in front of the cameras and the press and lied through their teeth and said the Big 10 and Pac 12 could not possibly play make up a major part of the lying dip shits. When parents wanted to play they refused even to meet with them, even when the parents few in to make it easy. Once they realized they looked morons they decided in minutes to reverse course. The only thing that took a long time was making up excuses, getting their stories straight, and hiding their misdeeds.

Anyone--everyone--who has ever dealt with the legal and financial sides of these type of decisions knows if the top guy, or guys, decide it's in their interest they can do it in minutes. Working out the logistics, hotels, flights, times, may take a few hours, maybe even a few days, to work out, but just like the decision on this game proves, it's very easy to do.

Last edited:
I agree with how good this bet looks; I'm surprised the line is not higher.

I'm still leery though. I have a hard time laying double digits on the road against a damn good team.

On the other hand, I had the same reluctance when they laid points on the road at Boise and Houston

I'm not going to overthink this one. Perhaps I don't have as high an opinion of Coastal but I know how I feel about BYU.

The big concern I have is the short turnaround to get ready plus travel but BYU guys are obviously a little older / mature and built to handle this type thing. And I keep coming back to the chip on their shoulder. In their eyes they've been crapped on by the committee. And now with a quality / ranked opponent giving them the opportunity to prove their case I expect that to happen.

Been thrown a curve before, so we'll see.

I'm not going to overthink this one. Perhaps I don't have as high an opinion of Coastal but I know how I feel about BYU.

The big concern I have is the short turnaround to get ready plus travel but BYU guys are obviously a little older / mature and built to handle this type thing. And I keep coming back to the chip on their shoulder. In their eyes they've been crapped on by the committee. And now with a quality / ranked opponent giving them the opportunity to prove their case I expect that to happen.

Been thrown a curve before, so we'll see.

byu has a go anywhere beat anyone mentality going, I don’t really worry at all. I know I keep saying it but the way coastal been winning all their games is physically mauling the other sun belt teams, I just don’t see that happening against byu who big and every bit as physical. That freshman qb for coastal gonna have to play out his mind to keep them in this imo. I thinks the byu steamroller tour continues. -10 all day for me.

byu has a go anywhere beat anyone mentality going, I don’t really worry at all. I know I keep saying it but the way coastal been winning all their games is physically mauling the other sun belt teams, I just don’t see that happening against byu who big and every bit as physical. That freshman qb for coastal gonna have to play out his mind to keep them in this imo. I thinks the byu steamroller tour continues. -10 all day for me.
Schedule and level of talent has a lot to with this line. BYU is on another level. The line is low because Coastal has outclassed all their lines and opponents. Not this time. BYU will get tested later not here.

Schedule and level of talent has a lot to with this line. BYU is on another level. The line is low because Coastal has outclassed all their lines and opponents. Not this time. BYU will get tested later not here.

i was thrilled it didn’t open any higher, I could make a case for it being 2 tds and I wouldn’t have been nearly as thrilled laying that.

These two teams tnight look like bad football teams app state vs louisiana. Mistake after mistake. Would think byu would smoke these 2. Not good for coastal.

These two teams tnight look like bad football teams app state vs louisiana. Mistake after mistake. Would think byu would smoke these 2. Not good for coastal.

not sure that real fair, playing in pretty bad conditions. Ull will look better in second. Although I agree byu head and shoulders Better than the entire sun belt. Just not sure fair to judge these 2 by this game that been played in a rain storm. ULL did beat iowa state, pretty good win.

Back