But Joe, what about the Browns?

Joe Public

Gabibbo's Finest
Funny you should ask, I was just going to write something up on them.

First, though, let's get this out of the way.

I missed the first game of the year with this team by a mile. I underestimated Pittsburgh out of the gate, I overvalued the Browns, and I was wrong.

Then, based on how pathetic their defense looked, I compounded the problem by seeing no possible way they could stop Cincinnati. Which they couldn't, only they solved by ringing up 54 or whatever.

But slowly they've turned their ship around and slowly I've done the same with them.

In short, there's only one reason I'm not betting this team big this week, the ex Browns on the Seahawk roster.

That's the only thing that's changed about this game since before the season when I started looking at this game and salivating.

The two I'm talking about are Brian Russell QB-ing the Seattle secondary and Charlie Frye.

Now, let's not kid ourselves, if Frye really understood the Browns' playbook he wouldn't have been run out of town after a game. And it's not like he'd been in the system for three years, this is the first year with a new OC and offense in Cleveland.

Still, he had all of camp with it and was the number one guy for a week. If Seattle doesn't have him running the scout team this week, Holmgren should be fired. Then shot. The fired again.

I don't think Frye's going to be able to give them the keys to the Browns offense, and frankly I don't think they can stop the Browns anyway. But he's spent time with the offense, Russell spent time with the defense--and defensing Anderson in practice, so it does worry me some.

But here's why I believe the Browns are going to win.

I've now seen Seattle a few times and one thing that has stuck out to me like a sore thumb is the way other O-lines have pushed them around the field. TB did it, Arizona did it, NO did it. Well, the Browns' O-line has really come together, just as planned, so far this year and at home, with a winning record for the first time in forever, I expect a big effort from them.

Beyond that, look at who Seattle has played:

TB
@ Arizona
Cincy
@ SF
@ Pittsburgh
NO
St. Louis

The only game they won on the road was SF. The only really decent team they've played was Pittsburgh, who shut them out and beat them by 21.

The best offense they've played was Cincy and I (as well as my now deceased ML wager, God rest its little soul) would argue that Cincy could have beaten them outright, in Seattle.

And Cincy is a horror show. I mean, if they couldn't keep Cincy's weapons under 20 in Seattle, I'm not sure how they do it to Cleveland in Cleveland.

The other reason, and I don't want to get into stats or drive charts, but suffice it to say, Seattle is a team that kicks FGs, Cleveland (shockingly enough) is a team that scores TDs.

Other than against the Rams, which I think we all would agree is a somewhat special case, if you've watched this team (or bet them) their ability to keep teams in games by kicking FGs rather than shoving the dagger in their hearts is maddeing.

If Russell and Frye weren't there, and the game was in the morning rather than the afternoon, I'd feel very comfortable in laying down pretty heavy on this game.

As it is, given that, and the fact that now things change a little bit for Cleveland, now they have to play as a favorite rather than the team that's overlooked and not given much of a chance, I'll just play 'em to win for a unit and a half.

And I'll probably tease 'em as well as the over.

Good luck with this game, gents, no matter what you do.

And, Go Browns.

Woof.

Good thoughts, Joe. The only thing I disagree with is Frye's "knowledge" being an asset to his new team. Aside from his inabilities as a quarterback, i don't think he was able to grasp and run Chudzinksi's offense; hence, why he looked bad and was given the boot. I don't think it's Seattle having our offense's number that we should worry about; I'm interested in seeing if Shaun Alexander can finally put up his old-self numbers against the Browns'd run defense. Many thought he'd get it going against St. Louis two weeks ago, but it didn't happen. Let's hope it doesn't happen this week either.
:cheers:

Good point, Ro.

You know, I thought about Alexander, and the reason I don't worry a ton about him is twofold. I'm pretty sure he still has that cast on his hand, which really limits him out of the backfield. Also, he really hasn't run with authority since Hutchenson left.

You watch him this year and, frankly, he looks like a p*ssy.

He still gets the ball just as much, but he's dancing around in the backfield going nowhere. Really, I think he's stopping himself more than anything.

Now, they've had a week off so maybe they've fixed some things, but I look at this game and see Cleveland being able to move the ball, and based on what we've seen this year, if Cleveland can move the ball, they score TDs. Going up against a team that, for whatever reason, is having trouble scoring more TDs than FGs, I like our chances.

This, of course, is before we even get into the AFC vs. NFC thing.

From the Seattle PI:

The Seahawks are 15-4 in pre-bye games, including an 8-1 record under coach Mike Holmgren. They are also 5-13 in games after their bye, including a 2-6 record under Holmgren -- with the wins coming the past two seasons.

Ominous, indeed, especially for a coach who gave his players the entire bye week off.

Browns could be looking ahead they play steelers next week...browns may be little to full of themselves right now...a loss here could be good 4 them...not going to touch this one.. if i had to seattle would be the play... GL:cheers:

Browns could be looking ahead they play steelers next week

It's so funny you say this, only because it's been so long since the Browns have been remotely good that the idea of them looking ahead is almost laughable to me.

Which isn't to say I'm laughing at you, but truly at the idea. It's so funny, in an odd way, that the Browns could be looking ahead to much of anything other than a hot tub and a whole lot of booze to drink away the pain.

I suppose they could be, and they owe the Steelers, in a big way. But I don't see it if only for this reason.

If the Browns just take care of business at home from here on out, they are guaranteed to avoid a losing season--and they have the Jets on the schedule, away, so if you step back and look at the schedule you see every home game winable and at least one (NYJ) if not two (NYJ, AZ, or Cincy) winable road games--that puts this team in the playoffs no matter what happens with Pittsburgh or Baltimore the rest of the way.

good spot for the browns for sure...sea has been far from impressive the last couple of years on the road, and the browns match up well to them imo. do pretty well playing or fading the browns as a fan and i'm on em this week. woof

My only worry is the Charlie Frye revenge factor, I heard he had a really good week of practice ... the Seahawks' defense should be well prepared.

The reason I don't worry about that, ATL is that Frye would have needed to not only have a good week, but a good week pretending to be somebody else.

And, maybe, that helped him, but I'm not really sure how you prepare for Braylon Edwards and Winslow--especially with Joe. J. out there as well. That's so much size, and the Browns have been able to push defensive lines around so much lately I'm not sure how you simulate that.

Honestly my biggest worry is that the Browns, for a reason I can't possibly explain, come out flat.

Just wanted to bump this. Im really starting to like this damn offense

the browns were losing all game but you always got the feeling they were never out.

haha..I guess I can dream..

Lions could totally tank the rest of their games, I see it happen every year...hope they don't.

haha..I guess I can dream..

Lions could totally tank the rest of their games, I see it happen every year...hope they don't.

fuck no bro they for real and the defense is coming along. Lions have been making me some money for real. Also I knew they were gonna thump the broncos. Afc west teams over rated. I went 3-1 in the afc west games day.

good shit bro...I'm excited man..been a long time since I got stoked for a Lions season.

Thanks you two, I appreciate it.

Loved that they could win this one today. This could be one of those really big franchise wins, actually. This wasn't a game they would have won in the past. Meaning, when Seattle drove the field late the old Browns might have given up the TD or have laid down in OT.

But they found a way to win and that's really something they (and our accounts) can build on.

=)

As bad as this defense is playing, they are coming up with some huge defensive plays when it counts. As long as the offense keeps chugging along like they have been, i'll take it.

Glad to see Alexander couldn't get anything rolling. That's a step in the right direction for this defense.

When is the last time a game at Pittsburgh, more than halfway into the season, meant anything other than pride?

These guys are doing a hellluva job making me forget about the ALCS this quickly.

Icing on the cake is the pompous Cowboy fans who thought they were guaranteed a top-5 pick in next year's draft.

:smiley_acbe:

Back