BUST!!!!!!!

twinkie13

In transit, arriving late.
[h=1]Former New Orleans Saints defensive tackle Sedrick Ellis to retire, won't report to Chicago Bears[/h]
<!-- /headline -->
michael-turner-sedrick-ellis--d7d56fb1f92543d8.jpg

Atlanta Falcons running back Michael Turner (33) runs as New Orleans Saints defensive tackle Sedrick Ellis (98) and strong safety Roman Harper (41) pursue during the first half of an NFL football game on Sunday, Nov. 13, 2011, in Atlanta. (AP Photo/Rich Addicks)

Print
By Katherine Terrell, NOLA.com | The Times-Picayune The Times-Picayune
Follow on Twitter
on July 25, 2013 at 12:10 PM, updated July 25, 2013 at 12:30 PM

<!-- /Byline -->
<!-- /social_top -->View/Post Comments

<!-- /social_mobile --><!-- series --><!-- /series --><!-- Aka Story Package --><!-- gallery-preview --><!-- /gallery-preview --><!-- Aka Secondary Package -->
7a443833376c48786675384143756872

<!-- /storypackage --><!-- Article -->
It looks like former New Orleans Saints defensive tackle Sedrick Ellis won't become a Chicago Bear after all. One month after signing a contract, Ellis told the Bears he'll retire instead of reporting to training camp, the team announced Thursday.

Ellis, 28, signed a one-year contract in June after visiting several teams in free agency. The announcement of his retirement was a surprise after Ellis "almost guaranteed" his numbers would improve with the Bears shortly after his signing.

The No. 7 overall pick in the 2008 NFL draft, he never quite lived up to expectations following an All-American career at USC. He signed a rookie contract with $19.5 million in guaranteed money, and spent five seasons with the Saints.

He finished with 173 tackles, 12.5 sacks and two forced fumbles in 70 games. Ellis started all 16 games for the Saints last season, but his production declined from a career-best year in 2010, when he had six sacks, two forced fumbles and 30 tackles. He had no sacks and 13 tackles in 2012.

for retiring?

What's wrong with a guy retiring early? Maybe he doesn't want to suffer numerous concussions and wants to enjoy the rest of his life with his family? If he's been smart with his money, there's no reason he has to work again. Who in the hell wouldn't want to be able to retire at the age of 28?

I echo the sentiment...good for him. It's just a game, no matter how much people want to believe otherwise nowadays....life is too short and he's decided to retire and enjoy the rest of his.

What's wrong with a guy retiring early? Maybe he doesn't want to suffer numerous concussions and wants to enjoy the rest of his life with his family? If he's been smart with his money, there's no reason he has to work again. Who in the hell wouldn't want to be able to retire at the age of 28?

I echo the sentiment...good for him. It's just a game, no matter how much people want to believe otherwise nowadays....life is too short and he's decided to retire and enjoy the rest of his.
google for me Ru Ru...see how much money he got total

google for me Ru Ru...see how much money he got total

In the article you posted, it said he got $19.8MM guaranteed on his rookie deal, which would have been more than enough for this exercise.

I looked it up though to see what the deal was really worth...$33.5MM, with a maximum value (bonuses and such) of $49MM!!! Yes, your Saints threw $33.5 million at him. I'm guessing he can comfortably retire with that kind of cash. Even after taxes (at 50% just for shits and giggles) he took home close to $17MM, and that's if he didn't get any of the $16MM in bonus money that he could have earned over those 5 years.

Now, knowing that he has enough money to never work again (if he was halfway smart with his money), and he got out of the game relatively healthy, are you still hating on his decision?

Back