Buschy McBusch Race 400 Preview Article

VirginiaCavs

CTG Super Moderator
Staff member
Buschy McBusch Race 400 Preview and Best Bet

NASCAR Cup Series: Buschy McBusch Race 400
Sunday, May 2, 2021 at 2 p.m. ET (FS1) at Kanas Speedway in Kansas City, Kansas

Race Info

NASCAR’s Cup Series resumes this coming Sunday with the Buschy McBusch Race 400. This event will take place at Kansas Speedway.

At this race, drivers will have to complete a total of 267 laps.

There are three stages for this event.

Stage 1 will require 80 laps. Stage 2 will also require 80 laps. The final stage will then consist in 107 laps.

Just like in weeks prior, an entry list for the race has already been published. So unless something unexpected happens, it is already known who will compete in this event.

Regarding the official starting lineup, this gets released on Wednesday morning. This event has no qualifying and no practice.

Track Info

In completing 267 laps at the tri-oval at Kansas Speedway, drivers will have completed 400.5 miles.

This is a much shorter track than Talladega Superspeedway, although the latter is rather exceptional.

Still, this track sin’t Martinsville, either. Kansas Speedway requires 1.5 miles per lap, on its asphalt surface.

This track enjoys a moderate degree of banking, which helps encourage somewhat higher speeds.

The turns are banked progressively, proceeding from 17 degrees to 20 degrees.

The frontstretch, too, is banked progressively, progressing from nine to 11 degrees. This amount of banking is unusually high compared to other frontstretches.

Moreover, the backstretch has five degrees of banking.

Some drivers have complained before about the difficulty as passing other drivers at this track.

But recent race results show that this difficulty does not represent an impossibility.

In the last NASCAR race at this track, for example, Kyle Busch finished in fifth place despite starting in 20th. He had even led for four laps.

In 2019, Denny Hamlin won at Kansas after starting in 23rd place.

So starting position is not a make-or-break thing. If the driver that we like does not enjoy strong starting position, he has more than enough time to make up for that initial deficit during the race.

Drivers To Avoid

One driver to avoid investing in is Ryan Blaney. Despite consistently starting in the top 10, he has, especially in recent renditions at this track, failed to finish better than 20th.

In terms of average finishing position, Kansas Speedway is Blaney’s third-worst track.

Also avoid betting on Joey Logano.

It is true that Logano won the last race in Kansas Speedway.

But Logano also has a lot of awful performances in this track. Before winning, he finished 35th, 17th, and 15th in his last three respective races at this track.

In terms of average finishing position and other Kansas Speedway-specific statistics, Logano is a comparably poor choice to invest in here.

Logano, moreover, is far from his best at Kansas Speedway. This track is his 19th-best in terms of average finishing position.

Looking at options that may seem more appealing, I suggest treading caution with Denny Hamlin.

In his race history at this track, Hamlin is very hit-or-miss. There are much more consistent options out there.

The same can be said about Kyle Busch. Busch is continually alternating between good and bad performances at this track.

Also, this season, his recent driver history is justifying even less hope than Hamlin’s as he has yet to finish better than eighth in any of his last four races.

Moreover, avoid Brad Keselowski simply because he won NASCAR’s last race. It is statistically hard to win back-to-back races. Keselowski did not achieve such a feat since September of 2018.

Also stay away from Chase Elliott, who has finished better than 10th only once in his last four overall NASCAR Cup Series races.

My Guy

I like Martin Truex Jr. for his strong history at this track and his recent overall form.

His overall average finishing position in Kansas still reflects his awful performances early in his career.

But he has figured things out, producing three straight top-10 outings in Kansas. Moreover, he has finished top-10 in seven of his last eight tries here.

Likewise, Truex Jr. suffered a rough start to the season, but finished top-five twice in a row before Talladega.

Best Bet: Truex Jr. To Win (Odds TBA)

This is a good track for Larson and Chase but they've been off the last few weeks. Chase's pit team has been awful. Larson is starting 32 today and this is a hard track to pass on.

This doesn't look like the race a bomber can win. Erik Jones does have 5 straight top 10s here, but is in worse equipment now with Petty.Logano got food poisoning but is expected to drive today.

Truex is a solid play. I would say as of right now he's the favorite to win the year end championship.

Kansas is my least favorite race, so I know the least about it. I only bet 1/2 of my normal amounts today because of this:

Bell -124 over Kurt Busch
Reddick (even) over MBD
Cole Custer -118 over Bubba

Bowman to win at +2000

Last edited:
Kansas is my least favorite race, so I know the least about it. I only bet 1/2 of my normal amounts today because of this:

Bell -124 over Kurt Busch
Reddick (even) over MBD
Cole Custer -118 over Bubba

Bowman to win at +2000
Not a good day. Only won one matchup.

Back