Burke the New GM of the Leafs

gsro

Give me the NHL, or give me death
The leafs finally got their man in Burke!!!!!

Good day for leaf nation, hope it rubs off on them tonight against the sens!

Sportsnet.ca is reporting this

Now the ownership can say they did all they can and buy themself like 5 years of not getting ripped on atleast for doing stupid shit, now its upto burkey.

really hope as the details come out we hear that he has no interference clauses and he;s free to do as he pleases.

really hope as the details come out we hear that he has no interference clauses and he;s free to do as he pleases.

Im sure he will get it. Colangelo received something similar. The biggest nuisance in MLSM (Peddie) will be let go soon.

Im sure he will get it. Colangelo received something similar. The biggest nuisance in MLSM (Peddie) will be let go soon.
one of his stipulations, that is being reported, is that he wants the same autonomy as Colangelo. The "Colangelo" deal...don't think he would sign if he had to get ok's form Peddie and the moneymakrs

yeah, just reading about the autonomy clause.... good stuff.

Give the man a budget and let him build a team

I think this is a mistake for the Leafs, Fletcher has done a good job so far and Burke has never proven to be able to draft well.

He left Vancouver in a mess and inherited a mostly Bryan Murrey built team in Anaheim.

Most overrated GM in the league in my opinion.

while I agree he is overated, I think he's what the Leafs need...

Fletcher never really wanted the job full time, and did what he set out to do, and instilled a build through the draft mentality, and had a large turnover from seasons past.

Im fine with Burke coming in, its what TO needed IMO

I think this is a mistake for the Leafs, Fletcher has done a good job so far and Burke has never proven to be able to draft well.

He left Vancouver in a mess and inherited a mostly Bryan Murrey built team in Anaheim.

Yea but the same could be said about fletcher; if memory serves my young little mind, it's that he's been known more for his trades than his drafting as well? I'm not too sure, i'm only 21, so i can't remember that far back..:36_11_6: that being said though i have to agree with what Bobby Clarke said, he can't get bigger than the leafs...he's goign to add some size and grit to this leaf team..i don't think anyone on the roster is safe with the exception of schenn

yeah, Fletcher was never known for his draft picks before... he made some bold trades. But he set out to do something taking over for JFJ and I think he did that and will have left Burke with a foundation to build on. They lost some draft picks down the road, but nothing major.

Picks Acquired
2008 – 2nd (PIT for Gill)
2008 – 3rd (FLA for Kilger)
2008 – 5th (FLA for Belak)
2008 – 5th (PIT for Gill)

Picks Traded
2008 – 3rd (TOR) to NYI for Schenn
2008 – 3rd (FLA) to STL for Mayers
2008 – 5th (TOR) to MTL for Grabovski
2009 - 2nd (TOR) to NYI for Schenn
2009 - 5th (PIT) to NYR for Hollweg
2010 - 2nd (TOR) to MTL for Grabovski
2010 - 4th (TOR) to FLA for Mike Van Ryn

yeah, Fletcher was never known for his draft picks before... he made some bold trades. But he set out to do something taking over for JFJ and I think he did that and will have left Burke with a foundation to build on. They lost some draft picks down the road, but nothing major.

Picks Acquired
2008 – 2nd (PIT for Gill)
2008 – 3rd (FLA for Kilger)
2008 – 5th (FLA for Belak)
2008 – 5th (PIT for Gill)

Picks Traded
2008 – 3rd (TOR) to NYI for Schenn
2008 – 3rd (FLA) to STL for Mayers
2008 – 5th (TOR) to MTL for Grabovski
2009 - 2nd (TOR) to NYI for Schenn
2009 - 5th (PIT) to NYR for Hollweg
2010 - 2nd (TOR) to MTL for Grabovski
2010 - 4th (TOR) to FLA for Mike Van Ryn

That's my point, if people worried that burke won't draft properly with Burke, it wouldn't be much different with fletch...the silver fox has done exactly what he was going to do, and that's all you can ask for

What I dont get is why didn't they wait till the season was over? why do it now, seems a little rediculous.

but ya burke is what they need and he is overrated, we'll see what happens now.

I agree with you.

He did leave anaheim in a mess with alot of UFA's in the defensive core for next season

Burke just brought in his right hand man Dave Nonis aswell, hes assembling the same team he always has.

Back