Bucks vs. Bulls Preview Article

VirginiaCavs

CTG Super Moderator
Staff member
Bucks vs. Bulls Top Picks for Thursday: Streaking Bucks to Perpetuate Bulls' Misery

Best Bet: Bucks -7.5 at -110 with BetOnline

Milwaukee Bucks vs. Chicago Bulls
Thursday, February 16, 2023 at 7:30 p.m. ET at United Center in Chicago

Chicago's Struggles

NBA oddsmakers are evidently unable to account for the mess that Chicago is in right now.

Hence, the Bulls are suffering a five-game ATS losing streak.

They also lost each of those five games straight-up.

Problems on Offense

Most of Chicago's ongoing problems resolve on offense.

A productive performance from its three-point shooting expert, shooting guard Zach LaVine, carried Chicago's scoring output to 113 points last night.

Fellow guard Cody White also randomly had an amazing performance, making five of eight three-pointers.

While 113 points certainly isn't bad, it remains alarming to see what came before because it was not as if the entire team had rediscovered its groove offensively.

It was just two players having great performances -- White and LaVine accounted together for over half of their team's points.

Before last night the Bulls failed to exceed 91 points against the Magic and Cavaliers after they failed to score more than 105 points against the Nets and Grizzlies.

A New Turn?

Could last night's game possibly be a turning point for the Bulls?

They had been allergic to attempting three-pointers -- more allergic, statistically, than any other team.

But they attempted 35 threes last night, which is almost seven more than they attempt on average.

Part of this phenomenon is surely a product of DeMar DeRozan's injury.

The small forward is characteristically proficient in the mid-range spaces which Chicago's offense gladly attacks.

But he has a Grade 1 thigh strain, according to an MRI that he took on Tuesday.

So, he might miss today's game, just as he also missed last night's game.

Milwaukee's Perimeter Defense

DeRozan's injury and Chicago's offensive problems should lead us to expect that last night's reliance on three-point shooting was not a one-time thing.

One might say that this reliance should be a one-time thing because the Bulls aren't terribly efficient from behind the arc -- they rank middle-of-the road in three-point percentage.

Milwaukee's Perimeter Defense

Especially since they might not be able to lean on as much mid-range scoring as they could achieve when DeRozan was fully healthy, we should expect the Bulls to see three-point shooting as a valuable source of offense that has helped them amend their scoring woes.

But the Buck defense will make it hard for any team that is inclined to operate offensively along the perimeter.

To be exact, Milwaukee allows the 10th-lowest rate of wide open three-point attempts and the fifth-lowest rate of open three-point attempts.

The Bucks are also one of the better teams at limiting opposing three-point attempts altogether.

Evidently, Milwaukee is attentive to the three-point line and is good at contesting opposing three-point shot attempts to make them harder to convert.

Among others, guards Jrue Holiday and Jevon Carter are characteristically physical guys who will be feisty and who will cling to their opposing ball-handler whom they will deny pulling up for a shot attempt.

Milwaukee's active perimeter defenders will compel Bull ball-handlers to try to work inside.

But challenging well-sized Buck center Brook Lopez is also far from easy.

As measured by defensive rating, he is a solid rim protector, one who also benefits from the help side defense of perennial MVP candidate Giannis.

Chicago's offense will resume its low-scoring tendencies because it won't figure out Milwaukee's well-rounded defense.

Milwaukee Offense's Outlook

As long as Giannis is able to play -- he is listed as 'probable' for tonight's game, then Milwaukee will have someone who can wreak havoc near the opponent's basket.

But the Bucks will also want to score in other ways.

Indeed, they attempt the fourth-most threes per game, with many of their attempts emanating from the devotion that Giannis' rim-attacking prowess coerces opposing defenses to develop toward stopping Milwaukee inside the arc.

Unlike Milwaukee's, though, Chicago's perimeter defense is porous.

The Bulls allow the second-highest rate of open three-point attempts and the 10th-highest rate of wide-open ones.

Milwaukee's band of shooters -- overall, the Bucks rank fourth in three-pointers made per game -- will take advantage by using good spacing, especially, to generate favorable three-point looks against a defense that evidently has trouble even contesting them.

The Verdict

Expect Milwaukee's offense to be more productive than Chicago's given the former's stronger perimeter defense and inside scoring abilities.

For the above reasons, invest in the Bucks ATS , and also invest in the "under" in view of Milwaukee's prowess on defense and the extent to which it matches up well against Bulls' offense.

Best Bet: Under 230 at -110

I’ve noticed the way pacers choose to defend, or not defend, guards made for a pretty good spot for Lavine. I doubt he goes off vs good defenders, even if he does they gave up 75 2nd half points to the pacers, that hardly a turning point, it just more suck in a slightly different way. Bulls suck, they hamstrung to a extent cause they counting on a guy who been hurt it seems forever now, not sure why they didn’t trade anything away? Maybe they still optimistic Ball can play one day but I never hear any good news about him. Even last year when they were “better” it was mostly they just beat bad teams, not teams like milw.

Last games before all star break I think you have to expect a team like bulls to continue limping to a break while no reason bucks don’t keep rolling, they not really a let down type team and I would think getting taken to ot vs Celtics B team give them a little extra tonight. Seems easy enough so bulls probably win somehow, lol. The only way it even close is if bucks mentally check out a day early, just gotta hope that not the case.

Think I woulda been way more likely to play the bulls team total under but I suck at nba totals so probably better you didn’t do that!

Hold on. Sone crack head idiot who has my phone number has me in some stupid as 20 person group text and I can’t figure out how to get rid of these losers

You put me in a 20 person group text w bunch of ppl I don’t know you just lost your privilege of being able to contact me, fucking idiot.

Glad this went bout as smoothly I expected even without Giannis. I saw after I bet it he might not play and didn’t really worry me much, just pissed me off I figured number would drop, guess he should have sat out. Gotta respect him trying to play, pretty much every other star in this league would have sat.

Back